Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Is it a DSG? The DSG sometimes likes to hold the clutch out just a little and chug the engine when you come to a stop, just for a second, in case you start right off again. It's more noticeable when warm since the idle is lower. Mine doesn't really shake, but it's the 2.0, not the 1.6.
The 2.0 has the 6 gear wet clutch gearbox, the 1.6 has the 7 gear dry clutch gearbox. Latter, i.e. the DSG7, is an unreliable piece of poo poo. If you managed to get 75000km on it without big issues, you're an outlier. Clutch packs seem to need to be replaced every 20000-30000km, because they're being ground down rather quickly. And the DSG7 can't seem to deal with wear, either, because it's apparently prone to plucking when the clutches start to wear down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Residency Evil posted:

More anecdotal stuff: 2010 GTI, 42k miles. I did have one problem recently in that the high pressure line from the AC broke, but other than that I've had 0 issues owning it as a 2nd owner. The Autobahn interior package is a fantastic place to be with fit/finish better than some cars costing 40k, it drives well, rides well, and as much as I hate to parrot Top Gear/Clarkson, it doesn't look out of place in any situation.

Also as I've mentioned above MY DAD has a 1999 Passat that has 220k miles on it. In those 220k miles he had to replace the coilpacks once but other than that, no problems other than regularly scheduled maintenance (including the timing belt).

To add my anecdote. MY DAD had a 98 passat that went 240k with only oil changes. It had a couple issues, but nothing that would not have happened on any other car. He crapped out 2 wheel bearings (because he bent a wheel and rotated it and it wobbled out the bearings). He blew out a transmission (by hitting a piece of lumber at 80mph and putting a hole in it). Other than that the car was great. My 95 2.slo Jetta was a dog, but then again what car wasn't in the 90s. My 04.5GLI was perfect, never had a single issue other than being a magnet for assholes and thieves. It got hit by a snow plow in a parking lot, sideswiped by a CRX and broken into at Best Buy. My current 11 TDI has been a perfect car also. It all comes down to the fact that for the money, you are going to be hard pressed to find a car with as much driving feel, as good of an interior and made out of actual metal. Everything out of Japan that is under 30k is going to be boring as poo poo and dent if you even look at it funny. Murican cars are all made out of the cheapest plastics they can find. Other European cars are just too drat expensive. That's why I stick with VW.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

I'm going to go with a friend to look at a 1999 A4 Avant Quattro with the 2.5 Tdi V6 tomorrow.

Anything I particularly need to check on? Known trouble spots?
Car was sold out from under him, so not happening today, but it's definitely a 2.5 Tdi A4 of the late B5 generation he's looking for, so any advice is still welcome.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 10, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Car was sold out from under him, so not happening today, but it's definitely a 2.5 Tdi A4 of the late B5 generation he's looking for, so any advice is still welcome.

I did reply to your previous post.

Why does he specifically want a 2.5 over a 1.9? Power/torque?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

To add my anecdote. MY DAD had a 98 passat that went 240k with only oil changes. It had a couple issues, but nothing that would not have happened on any other car. He crapped out 2 wheel bearings (because he bent a wheel and rotated it and it wobbled out the bearings). He blew out a transmission (by hitting a piece of lumber at 80mph and putting a hole in it). Other than that the car was great. My 95 2.slo Jetta was a dog, but then again what car wasn't in the 90s. My 04.5GLI was perfect, never had a single issue other than being a magnet for assholes and thieves. It got hit by a snow plow in a parking lot, sideswiped by a CRX and broken into at Best Buy. My current 11 TDI has been a perfect car also. It all comes down to the fact that for the money, you are going to be hard pressed to find a car with as much driving feel, as good of an interior and made out of actual metal. Everything out of Japan that is under 30k is going to be boring as poo poo and dent if you even look at it funny. Murican cars are all made out of the cheapest plastics they can find. Other European cars are just too drat expensive. That's why I stick with VW.

I also had a 96 Jetta that was slow, but I had 0 issues in the time that I owned it.

On another note, apparently you and I are identical twins born 1 model year apart.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

I did reply to your previous post.

Why does he specifically want a 2.5 over a 1.9? Power/torque?
Yep, thanks for that.

Indeed, he wants some poke, but needs good fuel economy for a long commute. He's had a 1.9 previously and liked it, and views the 2.5 as a good step up for out-the-box performance.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

blk posted:

Why do you guys like VW?

I got my 2013 Golf R because it was the best car for me that I found, it having a VW badge on the front just happened to be coincidence (or maybe not, modern VWs are nice as hell on the insides). My most reliable car I've ever owned was a 1974 AMC Hornet, a 30+ year old domestic from a dead manufacturer. I went through highschool driving my mom's white 97 Jetta and we never had any problems with that thing, and I did a ton of clutch dumps :v:. Besides, new Golf Rs are due to hit the US shores here in 2015, so I've got a couple more years to find out if VWs fall apart like people claim or not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My TDI has had 1 issue in 40k. Burned out one bulb. Otherwise, new set of tires and regular maintenance is all I have done.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I got my '07 A3 because at the time no one else had a drivetrain combo like the 2.0T/DSG and I 'm not sure anyone does yet. My driving is a combination of backroads hustling and in-city stop and go that was driving me mad with my old stick shift. The interior is a pretty danged nice place to spend time and I got it for a frikkin steal because A3s aren't popular; going GTI would've saved me maybe $4k at purchase. On the other hand going A3 I lost the LSD.

In ~35k miles it's had a window regulator fail under warranty, a faulty passenger seat sensor for the ABS replaced under warranty. The dealer on their own has replaced the inlet flapper motor, reglued the rear spoiler, replaced the coil packs and replaced at least one more thing under the hood I forget, at no cost to me. Two taillight bulbs have gone out, for what that's worth. It goes through a quart of oil every 3k (city driving) and was eating ContiSportContacts on the front, I switched to Goodyears that are lousy but they've lasted. I am concerned about intake coking and will probably have it walnut shelled in the next year or two.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I said I'd never buy another VW after my mk4 GTI, but after a test drive I decided a 2013 TDI best fit my current needs. Just a hair over a year and 23,000 miles and nothing major has popped up yet. There are the rattles that apparently come standard, a noise from the front suspension when I go over bumps or rough roads, and the drivers rear door speaker has a rattle that's super noticeable when listening to sports radio. I knew about HPFP and intercooler icing issues before I bought.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
loving nice. Just got a letter from vw that they extended the warranty for the faulty intake manifold I had to replace out of pocket. Hopefully I get back that 1000 dollars I dropped on the repairs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave posted:

Yep, thanks for that.

Indeed, he wants some poke, but needs good fuel economy for a long commute. He's had a 1.9 previously and liked it, and views the 2.5 as a good step up for out-the-box performance.
Aaaand he's just bought a 1.9Tdi A3 anyway. To be fair, it was up for a low price, and it'll give him the fuel savings he needs now so he's got some breathing room to find a really nice A4. Looks like we're going to pick it up later this week.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Aaaand he's just bought a 1.9Tdi A3 anyway. To be fair, it was up for a low price, and it'll give him the fuel savings he needs now so he's got some breathing room to find a really nice A4. Looks like we're going to pick it up later this week.

What specs on the A3? My Golf wagon shares the same platform and engines, and my 130bhp PD engine has been tweaked to ~175bhp/300lb/ft. So it has plenty of poke. (Despite being the heaviest in that platform @ 1,475kg.) With cruise control and doing 62 on the motorway i see 60-70MPG average. an A3 will likely do better than me with a remap to kill of the EGR and adjust fuelling and boost pressure.

Of course, in a B5 Quattro the only 1.9s are 110 engines so not the most powerful, but are the most reliable.

2.5s are more powerful and more torquey, but as mentioned previously have head gasket issues, which can be worsened by remapping, but head gasket replacement (With cylinder head skimming) isn't all that major, as long as good MLS gaskets are used. Also cam belt replacement (This is ESSENTIAL for 2.5s, they will do a lot of damage if the belt snaps) is obviously more expensive as the whole front end comes off for access.

Don't get me wrong, B5s are great cars, but are now at the age where they often need a lot. For example, all the front suspension links, you're looking at ~£300 in parts for good stuff (Febi) before fitting, and expect the top pinch bolt to be seized which is more headaches. Then the rear suspension will likely need all 4 wishbones' bushes replaced, and anti-roll bar bushes and diff carrier bushes. (Listen for knocking from the rear under load, the diff's nose mount wear and knocks.)

Also, if he wants fuel economy the Quattro system will have a pretty fair negative effect, it's a permanent 50/50 split so there's a lot of drivetrain loss and much more rolling resistance. But they are good fun, and great in the snow.

Has he considered a B6? They're fairly cheap now and a 1.9 130 Quattro with a remap will see better fuel economy and more power/torque than a 2.5 B5.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe it's a 110bhp one. 1999, with the EGR stuff removed. Guess I'll find out when I see it.

Thanks for the other info. I don't know exactly what his plans are, but will pass it along.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 11, 2013

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I believe it's a 110bhp one. 1999, with the EGR stuff removed. Guess I'll find out when I see it.

Ah, ok, and early one. That should do pretty drat well on fuel economy. A friend of mine has a 110 Golf and he's regularly seeing up 75MPG average on the motorway with it. He also often runs it on a biodiesel mix (Injector pump engines can run on that, PDs can't.) and while gets slightly lower MPG the fuel cost is significantly lower.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
If it wasn't for VW being one of the only companies with a Diesel option, I probably wouldn't have gotten one. I've had more than a couple of things to fix over the years, but it's a 98 that I got in 2005, and I've been able to do most of the work myself with the help of TDIClub and other forums.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any red flags I should know about a 2000 TDI Jetta? Considering looking at one, just wanted to know if there were any "gotchas".

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Martytoof posted:

Are there any red flags I should know about a 2000 TDI Jetta? Considering looking at one, just wanted to know if there were any "gotchas".

...where do I start?

Do not buy an automatic TDI. It will blow up and they get significantly worse mileage.

Feel for vibration in the clutch pedal once you put a little bit of pressure on it or the sound of marbles in a tin can with the car idling in neutral - if they are there see if they go away when you press the clutch in. This would be the dual mass flywheel going bad - they all do, figure $400 in parts for a single mass flywheel kit and another $300-600 to install it depending on what shops are near by.

Make sure the loving timing belt has been done, if not budget having that replaced as soon as you get the car. $350 in parts and another $200-500+ in labor here. Look for paint marks near the timing belt / timing belt cover. This signals a 'pull-n-pray' timing job - you're going to need to get a VAGCOM ($100 for software with a non VAGCOM cable) to make sure the timing is correct.

Does it puff any white smoke on cold start? Injectors are leaking or timing is very retarded. Nozzles get you a power upgrade and fix this - $410 + labor. Need VAGCOM to get the injection quantity back to stock-ish here too.

What leaks? Valve cover leak means you buy a whole new valve cover for $160 + labor. Camshaft seal means $8 for a seal and $200-$400 labor, if your cam isn't worn out. If it is then tack another $260 on there. Crankshaft seal... similar to camshaft seal, without worrying about something having worn out.

Does the car pulse during loaded (think 3rd-5th) gear acceleration? Turbine vanes stuck, bad vacuum actuator, leaking vacuum lines. Money all depends here.

Does the key just spin in the door lock? You're buying a new lock assembly or disassembling a used one then placing your cylinder in it. Easy to remove from the car, pain in the rear end to take apart and put back together.

Do both electric fans spin with the AC on? They should. $45 bucks a piece, otherwise you're going to get AC that isn't cold during stop and go driving.

Is the car quicker with the MAF unplugged? Bad MAF.

Unplug the coolant temperature sensor on the coolant bottle, is it wet? Run, now. The entire engine harness is going to need to be replaced, along with other stuff.

Weird door lamp/door buzzer/etc behavior? Door latch switch on the driver side. Cheap fix.

------

I dunno, I'm probably selling mine after having owned it for 2 months. Yeah, the gas mileage is about 40 combined on my daily commute which is 20mi 35-60mph surface, 20mi 70mph highway. I think you probably come out cheaper with a Civic if you factor repair costs in.
Consider that the national average for a gallon of gas is about $3.50 right now while a gallon of diesel is $3.95 (http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/gasdiesel/)
12 gallons of gas for a Civic (30 combined) is $42 and will get you 360mi. 11.7c/mi
12 gallons of diesel for a TDI (40 combined) is $47 and will get you 480mi. 9.8c/mi

10000 miles saves you $200 going TDI over a Civic fuel wise. 100k is $2000 savings.

What a TDI does get you is a fairly quick car with real brakes and an absurd highway gas mileage / range if you do a ton of that. I'm finding I don't and I'd be better off with a Civic or something. I do note that if you run a Windows VM, install VAGCOM Lite, and register it then you can always cart that VM around and it will stay activated.............. I'm not saying filez here because I never found anything like that, but if you want to share with a friend or something.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 26, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:stare:

Well I was considering one for a 60mile/day commuter but..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 26, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Martytoof posted:

:stare:

Well I was considering one for a 60mile/day commuter but..

Don't let him scare you. Personally I could never own a Honda solely because they are gutless and dent if you look at them funny.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Don't let him scare you. Personally I could never own a Honda solely because they are gutless and dent if you look at them funny.

The cars are for tinkerers built by tinkerers - they are cool but definitely not the most economical transportation thing they are made out to be.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've had a 98 Jetta TDI as my primary car since 2005. The biggest problem it has by far is body rust. I have no idea how much or little work I would have had to do to a Civic, but I haven't felt like the Jetta has been unreasonable at all. Stuff has been breaking on it a bit recently, but it's also a 15 year old car. There have been plenty of years where I've basically had to do nothing. There have also been years when a bunch of little things have broken in a row, so maybe it balances out.

I purposefully went for the last of the MK3's instead of getting an early MK4, because I did hear a lot of people complain about electrical problems on those.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

The cars are for tinkerers built by tinkerers - they are cool but definitely not the most economical transportation thing they are made out to be.

That's kind of my issue with most Japanese cars. They are made specifically to be transportation and have no feel. Might as well be driving a can opener.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehh, that's kind of why I was looking at the Jetta. If I'm going to spend 3 hours a day in it, I might as well enjoy looking at it.

My father has a 2006 Toyota Matrix that is a perfectly serviceable car but by god it's bland as hell. If I had to stare at that dash for 3 hours a day I'd.. well, nothing would happen, but I would probably prefer not to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

That's kind of my issue with most Japanese cars. They are made specifically to be transportation and have no feel. Might as well be driving a can opener.

Gotcha. I bought it as a DD as a side transport to my sportbike so it's just an appliance to me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Gotcha. I bought it as a DD as a side transport to my sportbike so it's just an appliance to me.

That's also part of my problem. I currently only have 1 vehicle, so it has to have some fun to it. I can understand people who have a vette or something else fun on the weekend driving an appliance for commuting, but just like Marty, as much time as I spend commuting, I gotta enjoy my car. Although, my last 2 have been pretty much brand new so I haven't had any issues to deal with.

God I wish I could get the initiative to actually get my drat bug on the road.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I have an 83 Porsche 944 for the weekends, that I can also use well enough when I need to take the Jetta off the road for a little bit. I'm still of the impression that the amount of work the Jetta needs is pretty appropriate for a 15 year old car that's seen salt every winter though.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

2000 Audi TT 1.8T FWD with Tiptronic, 196k miles

Over the last couple of weeks, car has been whining loudly when accelerating from a stop to ~ 15 mph, then whine goes away. Does not whine at other speeds or during deceleration. Does not whine in neutral or reverse. No CEL. It's a little overdue for its third timing belt and a transmission fluid change. Any ideas on things to check?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Goober Peas posted:

2000 Audi TT 1.8T FWD with Tiptronic, 196k miles

Over the last couple of weeks, car has been whining loudly when accelerating from a stop to ~ 15 mph, then whine goes away. Does not whine at other speeds or during deceleration. Does not whine in neutral or reverse. No CEL. It's a little overdue for its third timing belt and a transmission fluid change. Any ideas on things to check?

Check the transmission fluid first and foremost. When was the last trans service?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

veedubfreak posted:

Check the transmission fluid first and foremost. When was the last trans service?

Was changed at approx 150k, so it's definitely due.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Looking at buying a 2004 A4 (B6), manual, 1.8T, Quattro, 92K miles. Full service history, done at the recommended times and all bar 1 service were done at Audi or Audi approved garages. Drives very smooth through all gears, sounds sweet as anything (it's got an aftermarket exhaust)

I know somewhat about the sludge issue, is this something that's still going to bite me even if approved oils/filters are used? Where/when is it going to start showing issues?

Anything else to check for? I couldn't make out any leaks in the engine bay, bar some wear and tear in the cabin everything mechanical seemed to be very well kept.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BlackMK4 posted:

...where do I start?

Do not buy an automatic TDI. It will blow up and they get significantly worse mileage.

Is this still the case with the new ones with the DSG auto? I looked at a new Jetta TDI Sportwagen and really liked it. I have always been scared of VAG cars because of the electrical systems, but getting a brand new one with a warranty and their maintenance plan makes me feel a bit better about it. Is there anything with the newer generations that I should be concerned about?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Negromancer posted:

Is this still the case with the new ones with the DSG auto? I looked at a new Jetta TDI Sportwagen and really liked it. I have always been scared of VAG cars because of the electrical systems, but getting a brand new one with a warranty and their maintenance plan makes me feel a bit better about it. Is there anything with the newer generations that I should be concerned about?

New? You'll be fine. Some of the older DSGs had issues with the mechatronic unit making GBS threads the bed, but that has been sorted. Just be aware it requires a ~400 dollar maintenance every 40k. And don't plan on trying to tow with it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I've been trolling online for the new 2014 A3 TDI price in the states but I can't seem to find anything except speculation of anywhere between 30-33k. Does anyone know when Audi usually releases their 2014 models with pricing?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

New? You'll be fine. Some of the older DSGs had issues with the mechatronic unit making GBS threads the bed, but that has been sorted. Just be aware it requires a ~400 dollar maintenance every 40k. And don't plan on trying to tow with it.

Yea, brand new, either a 2013 or 2014 depending on what deal I can get them to give me. No plans of towing anything, I have friends and family with trucks if I need to do something like that. Whats the 40k mile maintenance for the transmission?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Negromancer posted:

Yea, brand new, either a 2013 or 2014 depending on what deal I can get them to give me. No plans of towing anything, I have friends and family with trucks if I need to do something like that. Whats the 40k mile maintenance for the transmission?

Fluid drain / fill, DSG filter replacement, and DSG software settings adjustment.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=941
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ah ok, thats not bad. Honestly I don't think I would even keep the car that long. I really don't put many miles on my cars(we have put less than 10k miles on the outback we have had for almost 2 years), and seeing as this would be the family car, I would probably trade it on something else in a few years.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

veedubfreak posted:

How far back does this go? I was looking at TDI and FSI Golf's from around 2006, I'm making sure that they have a full service history anyway. Now I'm thinking of looking for something else as it will be our only car.

I'm allowing for the timing belt within a year of buying one (most that I'm looking at are at around 70-90,000km on the odometer), but would hate to get another big bill sprung on me if I did go ahead with a purchase.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Puddin posted:

How far back does this go? I was looking at TDI and FSI Golf's from around 2006, I'm making sure that they have a full service history anyway. Now I'm thinking of looking for something else as it will be our only car.

I'm allowing for the timing belt within a year of buying one (most that I'm looking at are at around 70-90,000km on the odometer), but would hate to get another big bill sprung on me if I did go ahead with a purchase.

Just get a manual trans :)

Read this. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Thanks for the link, I need to get an auto as it's about high time my wife learned how to drive and she doesn't want to drive a manual.

I'd buy a shitbox but I want her to learn in something that has a bit of safety and i've always liked the Golfs, it's pretty hard for her to learn in my 200sx with a dead heavy clutch and terrible blind spots. (It's getting sold once i fix it up. Time to move on to something with an actual boot and 4 doors.)

Guess I'll keep on looking for some alternatives.