Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

Brasseye posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended shooting the wings off of cazadors in this thread - since I started crippling their wings and using the tee off special attack with driver Nephi's golf club they've gone from a pain in the rear end to my favourite enemy to come across.

oh WOW. Thank you. you have changed my life... What a great idea. I have, over the years, accrued a very special hatred for those little bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How's the ps3 version of the game? I nought this on Steam but my old rear end pc makes it almost unplayable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The PS3 version is riddled with technical problems, don't get it unless you have literally no other option.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The PS3 version has no patches at all, so it;s kind of a mess. Also no console, so whenever you meet a game breaking bug like a non spawning character then you're pretty screwed.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Bleh, is the Fallout 3 ps3 version any better then?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Is .45 Super that much better than +P? I looked at it and I didn't think the extra -4 to DT and .20 damage was worth the fairly large boost to weapon degradation. I suppose with signature weapons that might not be as much of an issue though.
Look at it this way: If you beat DM, weapon repair kits are basically free. If you take jury rigging, most of the weapons used to repair your gun are cheap and readily available. And aside from that, what else are you spending your caps on? The majority of the game's money sinks are gone if you're not planning on buying late-game weapons, and .45 ammo is dirt cheap, even en masse. And since you're only wearing suits, your armor will similarly be dirt loving cheap to repair. What else are you planning on spending caps on?

If you want to kill things fast, Super is way better than +P, especially against armored targets where pistols struggle most. Not that the gun really needs it. I still don't understand why you don't think Light is a good gun. The only better pistol is arguably Lil Devil, in my opinion. Do you have Better Criticals? What's your luck at anyhow?

edit: ^^^^ No.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Bleh, is the Fallout 3 ps3 version any better then?

I've heard that Gamebryo and PS3 don't play nice. Besides, you lose out on the cool mods not playing on PC.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Lord Chumley posted:

I've heard that Gamebryo and PS3 don't play nice. Besides, you lose out on the cool mods not playing on PC.

Bleh, what's the point of console releases if they're gonna half-rear end them anyway? Kinda dumb.

On another note, how would you guys compare fallout 3 and New Vegas? I always thought that they are basically the same game with different maps and quests.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Bleh, what's the point of console releases if they're gonna half-rear end them anyway? Kinda dumb.

On another note, how would you guys compare fallout 3 and New Vegas? I always thought that they are basically the same game with different maps and quests.

The point of console releases is that they make more money than PC releases. :v:

The difference between FO3 and FO:NV is mostly the quality of the writing.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Line Feed posted:

The difference between FO3 and FO:NV is mostly the quality of the writing.

Which game is better then? Metacritics scores are 91 for FO3 and 80-something to FO:NW.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Which game is better then? Metacritics scores are 91 for FO3 and 80-something to FO:NW.

The metacritic scores are hosed, New Vegas is a better game by any possible metric. Better writing, the gameplay is funner (ammo types, hardcore and more varied weapons add a lot), the plot isn't a steaming pile, more variety in scenery, etc., etc..

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

ManOfTheYear posted:

NV is better. If you don't have a computer rig that can handle it, it runs fine for me on 360. Only the classic glitches everyone gets are what I've experienced.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lord Chumley posted:

I've heard that Gamebryo and PS3 don't play nice.

This is absolutely true. As you keep playing the hardware can't keep up with all of the extra variables and eventually your save gets corrupted.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

ManOfTheYear posted:

New Vegas's lower score was due to it being less stable and more prone to bugs. Just remember to save fairly frequently.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!

BodineWilson posted:

oh WOW. Thank you. you have changed my life... What a great idea. I have, over the years, accrued a very special hatred for those little bastards.

Also shoot deathclaws in the legs.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Just how unstable is the ps3 version? Does it corrupt save files often? Does it corrupt them all at the same time or just the one your using at the time? Does the game freeze often?

Apparently at least some of the bugs have been patched. Is it enough though?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

2house2fly posted:

New Vegas's lower score was due to it being less stable and more prone to bugs. Just remember to save fairly frequently.

New Vegas's lower score was due to reviewers seeing the name Obsidian and assuming the game was less stable and more prone to bugs.

Edit: Looking through the reviews for New Vegas on Metacritic, and I'm amazed by the reviewers claiming it's "just more Fallout 3" with nothing new added. They didn't even play the drat game.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 11, 2013

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
If FO3 were GTA3 then NV would be Vice City and San Andreas rolled into one.

Dr. Discomfort
Sep 19, 2005
I am a nice man with happy feelings all of the time

ManOfTheYear posted:

Just how unstable is the ps3 version? Does it corrupt save files often? Does it corrupt them all at the same time or just the one your using at the time? Does the game freeze often?

No more than the PC version from my experience. It also seems to have a double edged sword where it let's you know a freeze is coming by getting really really slow and choppy, which seems to be way more frequent in some areas on the game for some reason, but I just save and restart the game and treat the choppiness like a warning/reminder to save.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Dr. Discomfort posted:

No more than the PC version from my experience. It also seems to have a double edged sword where it let's you know a freeze is coming by getting really really slow and choppy, which seems to be way more frequent in some areas on the game for some reason, but I just save and restart the game and treat the choppiness like a warning/reminder to save.

Is the PC version that buggy too? I thought it had been modded and fixed the poo poo out of, it's already a couple of years old.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

NotALizardman posted:

The metacritic scores are hosed, New Vegas is a better game by any possible metric. Better writing, the gameplay is funner (ammo types, hardcore and more varied weapons add a lot), the plot isn't a steaming pile, more variety in scenery, etc., etc..

I agree NV is the better game, but is the scenery in it better? I mean 3's placement of things was haphazard as hell, but it was real fun to explore. They created some mighty interesting places like that town on the bridge and things; they just didn't utilise them very well.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Ianiniho posted:

I agree NV is the better game, but is the scenery in it better? I mean 3's placement of things was haphazard as hell, but it was real fun to explore. They created some mighty interesting places like that town on the bridge and things; they just didn't utilise them very well.

Scenery is definitely more varied and pretty in NV. There is a mod that improves the flora and makes it seem less dead, makes it even nicer. Vurt's Flora Overhaul or some such.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ianiniho posted:

Eh, Honest Hearts alone blows everything Fallout 3 did out of the water. Better vignettes, better scenery, and a much better back story.

Dr. Discomfort
Sep 19, 2005
I am a nice man with happy feelings all of the time

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is the PC version that buggy too? I thought it had been modded and fixed the poo poo out of, it's already a couple of years old.

It has a habit of running fine for hours on end then freezing out of nowhere. Which really really sucks if your last autosave was you going into the mojave and exploring and losing it all if you do what I do and hardly ever stop to save when you're on a roll.

Of course this problem wasn't unique to Fallout on my PC so it's not exactly a fair criticism. I think it's just my computer getting overheated after a while when I play something obsessively with no breaks until the sun comes up.

If I had a computer that could run it still I wouldn't bother with the PS3 version if that's what you're asking.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

CheeseThief posted:

Is .45 Super that much better than +P? I looked at it and I didn't think the extra -4 to DT and .20 damage was worth the fairly large boost to weapon degradation. I suppose with signature weapons that might not be as much of an issue though.

Let me put it this way: when loaded into a .45 SMG, the only thing that will drop faster than the weapon's condition bar is the HP of whatever enemy you're shooting at. Courer's Mile? Piece of cake. :black101:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let me put it this way: when loaded into a .45 SMG, the only thing that will drop faster than the weapon's condition bar is the HP of whatever enemy you're shooting at. Courer's Mile? Piece of cake. :black101:
Oh poo poo, now I gotta go lug that CZ75 there... I hadn't gotten it, or really figured out how awesome 5mm is in general, when this happened:

Friar Zucchini posted:

My thought process was basically "I'm a badass mofo, I got this poo poo. All this armor and the guns I got, ain't nuthin gonna gently caress with me. Hey look I barely got here and I just got the achievemen:stare:Okay, backing up. oh god backing up BACKING UP"

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
Just completed Old World Blues.

I can't say that whole thing about infinite loops surprised me.

Also, killed the Legendary Bloatfly with the Advanced LAER with Max Charged ammo. And had to repair said LAER a bunch of times. God drat does that piece of poo poo degrade fast.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I think one of the biggest differences between FO3 and NV is the replayability. I really enjoyed 3 and will still pick it up from time to time thanks to having lived in the DC area and quite a bit of it being recognizable, but I find it pretty hard to force myself outside of like the bottom right hand corner of the map into the rest of the wasteland because it's just not nearly as interesting. It felt like 90% of the effort was spent on the heart of the city while areas like Bethesda, Silver Spring, McLean, etc. were just flattened waste with an occasional building or landmark. NVs whole world feels more fun to explore, and while New Vegas itself is a hell of a hub, the towns around the map all felt like they had just as much time and thought put into them (aside from like Boulder City, which was pretty empty for plot reasons).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas never had Unofficial Patch projects of the scape and quality like there's for Oblivion and Skyrim. There are some bugfix compilations on the New Vegas Nexus, but I wouldn't recommend most of them.
Also the main problems regarding crashing and freezing seem to be in the engine and is not something that can be fixed by modders.

2house2fly posted:

New Vegas's lower score was due to it being less stable and more prone to bugs.
Fallout 3 at launch was also a buggy, crashprone mess. Even more so then New Vegas in my experience.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 11, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I had the PS3 version before I got fed up and got it on PC. If you don't get any DLC for it you can probably play through it all the way as long as you don't try to do every damned thing you possibly can. As you go on, the system has a hard time keeping up with all the changes and eventually the framerate drops to single digits and then something like 1 frame every 5 seconds, while also just hard locking the PS3 after like 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay (this is like 70~80 hours in and after having done Dead Money and installing the other DLC packs as well [money well spent on my part :haw:]). More or less the same thing goes for Fallout 3 but I found it to be a bit more stable, like it would hard lock after 2 hours if you stayed outside the whole time and didn't transition and I was able to play through 3 of the DLCs with basically no problem, but trying to use any of their items in the base game would generally gently caress things up quick.

So to play New Vegas on the PS3 you'd have to avoid all the DLC and basically do very specialized, narrow runs where you only do quests if it makes sense for your character, and then you might be able to make it. I think the metric you can use to see if it's getting bad is the save file size, like it completely craps out when it gets to 10mb and starts getting weird around I think 7mb. Of course YMMV and all that, and in the long run you'd probably be better off to upgrade/replace your PC.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ManOfTheYear posted:

As much as I love this game it can get very very buggy. Do yourself a favor and find some way to play this on PC, you'll be able to mod some of those problems away, and make the game much more easily playable.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nthing the "play it on PC" theme: I played it on ps3 and it became unplayable after the 80 hour mark, constant hard system lock ups. It runs up hard against the Bethesda ps3 limitations. I have it on PC now, and to be honest, I'd rather never play the game again than play it on PS3 again.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Aside from mods that fix problems, for any fallout/TES games mods add lots of new content and tweak/rebalance type things that add tons of replayability down the road, not to mention more extreme mods like Morroblivion, an attempt to mod all of Morrowind into the Oblivion engine and similar mods to hack Fallout 3's content into the far-less-broken New Vegas engine (only possible if you own both for PC). It's a waste to buy any of them for a console, imo, because you're giving up all of the future content (not to mention that next gen consoles won't play your current-gen copy anyway).

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 11, 2013

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
Apparently I didn't pay much attention on previous playthroughs. When I got to Nipton my brain firmly reminded me that the town was completely bereft of anything useful to the cause, but I had a pleasant surprise when I bothered to explore every house. The same thing happened at REPCONN--no worries about scrounging for ammo now.

One thing I love about TES/FO games is how well the local map obfuscates multilayered levels while still being useful. Some people hate it but I think it adds a good element to exploration.

I'd like to make a complete runthrough of the FO games at some point; how often do package deals on GoG/Steam come around? I need to buy everything again from Fallout on so I can get working Win7 FO/FO2 versions as well as all the DLC for FO3/FNV. I got burned by horse armor but I'm willing to bend my stiff necked principles because this is Fallout and I hear most of the FO3/FNV add-on content is pretty well done.

Otherwise, I have the FO/FO2 cds and it might be worth my time to get them working in dosbox, particularly since I also need to install and complete PS:T and System Shock 2. (My RPG backlog is majestic.)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

snooman posted:

Apparently I didn't pay much attention on previous playthroughs. When I got to Nipton my brain firmly reminded me that the town was completely bereft of anything useful to the cause, but I had a pleasant surprise when I bothered to explore every house. The same thing happened at REPCONN--no worries about scrounging for ammo now.

One thing I love about TES/FO games is how well the local map obfuscates multilayered levels while still being useful. Some people hate it but I think it adds a good element to exploration.

I'd like to make a complete runthrough of the FO games at some point; how often do package deals on GoG/Steam come around? I need to buy everything again from Fallout on so I can get working Win7 FO/FO2 versions as well as all the DLC for FO3/FNV. I got burned by horse armor but I'm willing to bend my stiff necked principles because this is Fallout and I hear most of the FO3/FNV add-on content is pretty well done.

Otherwise, I have the FO/FO2 cds and it might be worth my time to get them working in dosbox, particularly since I also need to install and complete PS:T and System Shock 2. (My RPG backlog is majestic.)

Put it this way: when I do playthroughs of FO: NV I always run through all of the DLCs (exception being Lonesome Road, and to a lesser extent OWB, because it didn't exist while I was doing the bulk of my playing) but I will usually only pick and choose bits of the base game to play. This may not be a popular sentiment but I think basically each DLC had about as much to say as the entire base game, just boiled down into a much more succinct package.

The best bits of FO3 were DLC, but not all of the FO3 DLC were worth playing.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the answers you guys. PS3 NV sounds really loving horrible. I understand bad games being released but downright broken ones? :drat:

I guess I saved a little money and a lot of ruined freetime.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
One thing I really liked about F3 was that F3 did a great job establishing background lore for the Fallout world and giving it a unique identity. F1 and F2 were basically "Max Max with thinly veiled orcs and gothic buildings", but F3 really applied the 50's aesthetic that was briefly touched on in F1 and F2. I've seen some NMA-types whine about how the 50's stuff wasn't REALLY a key part of Fallout 1, but I think the "ruined 50s" look F3 had made the series look much more unique than F1 and F2.

I was also a fan of the information about the pre-war world F3 had. If you read the logs in places like the Citadel, you really got a feeling that everyone in the pre-War world was hosed, nukes or not. The government basically let the USA decay into nothing while they went off developing things like power armor, FEV and energy weapons with shady corporations and waging war. The pre-war world was barely touched on in F1 and F2, but F3 helped flesh the pre-war world out to where it wasn't brief background lore to explain why X item exists.

The main plot was garbage, but F3 did a great job expanding the Fallout world, despite a few wrinkles here and there.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

New Vegas is a superb enough game that I managed to beat it twice on PS3 out of necessity, but since getting a PC that can run it, I'd never ever go back to the PS3 version. Like others have said, the key is to try to keep your playthrough somewhat short to avoid hitting the wall where the game becomes unplayable. I'd still consider looking for a cheap used copy, probably skipping the DLC, if PC really is not an option at this point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Raygereio posted:

Fallout 3 at launch was also a buggy, crashprone mess.

The best bit was how NPCs in the first town kept falling through the floors.

closeted republican posted:

The main plot was garbage, but F3 did a great job expanding the Fallout world, despite a few wrinkles here and there.

It also did a great job of contracting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

CheeseThief posted:

Take jury rigging, never worry about degradation again.