Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I feel spoiled now with my <4 miles to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evol262 posted:

I know it's not your fault, but keeping HP-UX servers going and eBaying hardware when a 3 month development push onto commodity hardware would probably cost less than your support contracts every year is :suicide:

We have 250+ people in this office and 2 bonded T1's for internet. Management is stagnant, to say the least.

"It works."

But it's slow (we have agents using our internally hosted servers for daily transactions. Some things take 3 minutes to do and they get furious.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

TWBalls posted:

Ouch. I'm not familiar with the area, but it the distance alone is terrible. This was my commute for 3 years (Moved about ~6mos. ago, so I'm only 8Mi away now):

The worst commute I had was after I was laid off back in 2008. I took a temp job that had me going to 3 different sites. The one I visited most was in Salinas (The others were in Fresno and Milpitas):

The worst commute I ever had was over a decade ago when I was in manufacturing:

Commutes aint poo poo until you need to get a boat involved.

Edit: Working with infant abduction systems, I spent 3 years with a commute of either LA to the Bay Area or Las Vegas ~60% of the time. My personal record was 8 consecutive weeks of showing up for work Monday, getting on a plane, then getting home Friday. Plus on call rotation.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 10, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I thought my commute was bad. 77 miles door to door each way, but it's straight up I-35 and takes just over an hour.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

skipdogg posted:

I thought my commute was bad. 77 miles door to door each way, but it's straight up I-35 and takes just over an hour.

Two hours every day commuting actually is bad.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

evol262 posted:

Two hours every day commuting actually is bad.

:smith: is it?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I'm curious as to where Google comes up with their time figures. They say 1hr 8mins for the commute to San Ramon, but on average would take 1hr 45mins. They also estimate 1hr 58mins for the trip to Salinas, but would often take me 3hrs. I guess they don't figure in heavy traffic? Double those figures for the round trip, 5 days a week and that would explain why I was such a cranky bastard.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The worst commute I ever had was over a decade ago when I was in manufacturing:
Commutes aint poo poo until you need to get a boat involved.

Being paid enough to afford to to live on Whidbey and commute to Redmond daily aint poo poo :P

EDIT: I missed the first part of your post and assumed you were some MS guy complaining about his commute in his tesla S

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nebulis01 posted:

Being paid enough to afford to to live on Whidbey and commute to Redmond daily aint poo poo :P

EDIT: I missed the first part of your post and assumed you were some MS guy complaining about his commute in his tesla S

Ha! Whidbey is nice. If I was sure I'd be working from home for the conceivable future I'd move up there in a heartbeat.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Maneki Neko posted:

Ha! Whidbey is nice. If I was sure I'd be working from home for the conceivable future I'd move up there in a heartbeat.

Getting married on Whidbey next summer :toot:

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Mierdaan posted:

Getting married on Whidbey next summer :toot:

Congrats! I got married in Kitsap Memorial State Park this past May. I really do love this state.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

You have to consider what it's worth to you, both in terms of actual costs and the mental toll. I'm guessing folks have a longer commute to save on rent, but does that really justify the additional gas/wear and tear (or even the need to have a car in the first place), parking costs, and most importantly, the limited personal time you give up during the work week? Between 6.5 hours of sleep and an 8.5 hour workday, the difference between having 8.5 hours (15 min/way commute) and 7 hours (1 hour/way commute) a day to yourself is pretty loving substantial.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I swear nobody in this loving company knows what a patch panel is. Walljacks are wired straight into switch ports.

To top it off, every 4-10 cubicles are split into "DEPT-ZONEx", and those go to a small switch hidden in a cubicle wall. Then each switch goes to another switch in a closet in that building.

What's the justification for doing this? Everywhere else I've ever been every walljack goes to a patch panel in the same rack, or the rack next to the rack with switches in it. And there are never rinky-dink switches dividing up groups of 8 users.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Between 6.5 hours of sleep
Your life sounds so hard, your highness, with your 6.5 hours of sleep atop your bed of feathers and rosewater perfumes!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bob Morales posted:

What's the justification for doing this?

Likely, someone didn't want to pay for all the runs to go back to the closet.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

I have a 2.5 mile/15 minute commute via bicycle. Yeah it matters.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Commute time is you being miserable and not even getting paid, of course 10h/week of it is bad.

I wouldn't even mind working 10 more hours, but gently caress commuting, especially by car when all you can do is drive.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I wouldn't do it under normal circumstances, I don't want to get into it, but my net commute time is basically zero.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I just looked up how far my sister has to go from Corvallis to Eugene, I can't imagine putting up with that drive.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't miss this commute

My 5 mile commute by side road is a huge quality of life boost.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I work 65hours or so between 2 jobs, plus have on average 13 hours of commute. Yes, wasting half a day in my car commuting sucks and it's going to slowly drive me insane. I do not recommend it to anyone at all and to do everything in your power to avoid commuting over 30 minutes a day.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I don't have a car so I walk 45 minutes to work each day. I quite like it :shobon:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I consider all forms of exercise mere compensation for the delicious things I stuff my face with. I exercise a *lot*

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I feel spoiled now with my <4 miles to work

I feel spoiled now with my 1 mile to work. :smug:

I do pay for it during the Summer though because I walk and it's uphill most of the way to work and gets unpleasantly hot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I don't have a car so I walk 45 minutes to work each day. I quite like it :shobon:

The biggest thing I think I miss from University is the ~30 minute walk. Nothing quite like a nice walk at the start and end of the day listening to music and enjoying the weather frozen wasteland of Canada.

I wish I could do the same for work, but I need to go to too many sites with gear.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 10, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I just looked up how far my sister has to go from Corvallis to Eugene, I can't imagine putting up with that drive.

My last job was in Corvallis, the drive to/from Eugene isn't bad. There's never any traffic, 2 lane road. I commuted 1/2 hour into Corvallis from Lebanon. Rural commutes are great!

Nebulis01 posted:

At the time I was a factory worker manually assembling lifting equipment. My shift ended just after the last ferry, so it was 3 hours of Dennys waiting for the first boat to go home and sleep for 5 hours before turning around and coming back.

Now I'm a mainlander working at MS. Life is funny that way.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

The number of junior positions that require 3+ years of experience is incredibly frustrating.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Apply anyway. Remember these things are wish lists. The worst thing that can happen is you not working there which is already the current situation. You update your resume?

Also reach out to any industry contacts you have and let them know you're looking for work. Personal networking is responsible for most peoples jobs.

Oh and make sure your LinkedIn account is fully fleshed out. It's a major recruiting tool

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Erkenntnis posted:

The number of junior positions that require 3+ years of experience is incredibly frustrating.

This is common for sysadmin jobs, where you require actual skills to be considered for entry level. You should be able to find a job in a NOC/Helpdesk with much less or none, however, which will get you that experience.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 11, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

System Z (and AS400 in general) happily runs Linux instances with languages and tools as modern as anything RHEL6 can throw at it. Yes, you'll have traditional COBOL/JCL stuff running on it somewhere, but they're not necessarily as antiquated as this makes them out to be.

Holy poo poo. They came out with new hardware back in 2012. Looks like the mainframe isn't dead at all.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

How does one get into IT with the energy/petroleum industry? Does it pay fairly well? How are the benefits?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Over a year I managed to go from a mind-killing 1.5 hr commute with 2 interchange points to a 30 min direct bus line by: changing jobs (to one slightly closer to town than MordorKista), job moving offices to downtown, and then changing habits to get up in time for the direct bus. Getting it under 30 minutes on public transportation and to a place that is not depressing as gently caress really cut down on the amount of depressive thoughts I was having.

(I later moved closer to town so now I can bike to work :toot:)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone mentioned AS400. We actually have 10 grand budgeted into a new AS400 server this coming year straight from an IBM reseller. Woo woo!

We've had a consultant around for the past six months upgrading our system/32 software to get it to integrate with Sharepoint.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Someone mentioned AS400. We actually have 10 grand budgeted into a new AS400 server this coming year straight from an IBM reseller. Woo woo!

We've had a consultant around for the past six months upgrading our system/32 software to get it to integrate with Sharepoint.
AS/400 systems are actually pretty inexpensive. If you have an IBM bladecenter they make AS/400 blades that are only a few thousand bucks. Like everything else, the expense comes with licensing.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

How are you integrating it exactly?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

How are you integrating it exactly?

Well first off, I have absolutely nothing to do with the AS400. I can install the end user client but that's about it. Saying that, I'm still in all the meetings.

What we've done so far is have the AS400 dump our invoices and purchase orders to pdf on a network share, then Sharepoint imports them on a schedule to be shown on an internal website for end users.

The consultant had to do quite a bit of behind the scenes work before we could even start that project.

Going forward we'll be putting sales data, queries, etc, so users can run these reports themselves instead of asking IT to run them.

We don't have blades. This is just a simple 4U server with an internal tape drive.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
How do I find and hire a person\company to develop some custom software? How does it even work?

We want to develop a client facing site that performs some functions. I dont know any developers and have never had to hire them before. Where do I begin? What should I look out for?

Should I test them with a small project first to see how they handle it?

Tasty Wheat
Jul 18, 2012

psydude posted:

You were only making 120k overseas?

Yeah, about 120k, w/ 401k, the uplifts were down to 5%, no clearance = no joy.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Anyone have experience with windows phone 8 and intune. Intune works for our Apple devices but won't add the company account for windows phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chivas Aribas!
May 21, 2007
Las Vegas still lives and dies by the AS400. Almost every big resort uses MMS for ordering and LMS for hotel management.

There is a company called Agilysys that makes trucks full of money selling support.

• Locked thread