Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

TheIllestVillain posted:

TROB's new one has leaked, it's the most evil poo poo I've ever heard.

Listening now, in the dark. The riffs on Daemon are some of my favourite of the year I think. Will definitely have to order this, alas, probably not the lavish version, as nice as it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I saw Megiddo last night. It was tight.

If you aren't listening to Megiddo, it should be because you're listening to Ruins.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
New Horn album dropped. Every song is in a different language and it's pretty drat good so far. He pulls it off really well.

Edit: And the new Satyricon leaked. I'm very hesitant to listen...

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 3, 2013

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Houseplant posted:

Edit: And the new Satyricon leaked. I'm very hesitant to listen...

Honestly, if you've liked the direction of how their last several albums have gone, you should probably listen to it at least once and decide for yourself. It's a natural progression from their albums since Volcano.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Honestly, if you've liked the direction of how their last several albums have gone, you should probably listen to it at least once and decide for yourself. It's a natural progression from their albums since Volcano.

F the haters etc., but I loved The Age of Nero. It's like if The Fonz started a metal band, and the production is stupidly crisp. If this albums is catchy and groovy like TAoN, I'll probably enjoy it.

Granted, nothing will top Nemesis Divina for me, but I practically consider that a separate band.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Yeah, the fans of old expecting a return to Nemesis Divina form are going to be sorely disappointed - yet again. Overall, I'm enjoying the album. At first, I was genuinely concerned that the album may suffer from being overly simplistic, but the older and more seasoned black 'n roll fan in me no longer needs those 1,000 bpm tracks to get my jollies off. There are countless bands trying to emulate the sound of Nemesis Divina, so I respect Satyr's attempt to journey down a new path.

Nekrohaven is an instant classic for me. :black101:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

aliencowboy posted:

I saw Megiddo last night. It was tight.

If you aren't listening to Megiddo, it should be because you're listening to Ruins.

That's cool as hell. They're like evil incarnate!

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Discovered Oranssi Pazuzu while trying to find more TRoB. It's kinda Jazzy in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqK6s93wqRU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Verizian posted:

Discovered Oranssi Pazuzu while trying to find more TRoB. It's kinda Jazzy in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqK6s93wqRU

That band claims to be influenced a good deal by krautrock and I can sort of see it. Honestly BM + kraut needs to be more of a thing. Definitely a more interesting combo than shoegaze.

petulant child
Sep 5, 2013

Torka posted:

Hey, super late but thanks a lot for these recommendations guys, I've been enjoying a bunch of them. Especially Ash Borer, love the insane vocals.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for recommendations, but two slightly similar and very underrated bands are Navjarmaahr and Ygg.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYoH3uDkPB8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R0M5hRynpA

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
drat but this Ruins of Beverast album is evil. Very positive first listen. Worth it exploring the rest of his discography?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

apophenium posted:

drat but this Ruins of Beverast album is evil. Very positive first listen. Worth it exploring the rest of his discography?

Rain Upon the Impure is the only album to ever physically make my jaw drop, so yeah totally worth it.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
His last album (Foulest Semen) was also really good, all the chanting made it doubly evil.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Gonna give some love to Unlock the Shrine as well. The Clockhand's Groaning Circles, Euphoria when the Bombs Fell and Summer Decapitation Ritual are all great. His albums are packed with interesting ideas, even if there is a little bit of filler sometimes. I find Monument, at the end of the new album, a little dull and unnecessary. It's definitely not as good as the rest of the songs on the album, and the more black metally/aggressive sounds on Ordeal could probably have been explored a little further. Great album, anyway. Daemon and Malefica are probably my favourite tracks at the moment, but I don't know whether that is just because of familiarity with the samples. Either way, I'll be revisiting it a lot over the next few weeks I think.

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.
I really want to know where the chanting in Summer Decapitation Ritual is sourced from.

Unlock the Shrine is undoubtedly one of those albums you actually experience because it is just slathered in this drafty medieval stuff.

Man I love this band.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Yeah I've fallen for Beverast. Makes me wonder why I hadn't heard of him before. God's Ensanguined Bestiaries is seriously one of the most amazing black metal tracks I've ever listened to. Kind of nice to hear less shrieked vocals, although I don't hate that style. Just kinda like the lower pitched vocals now and again. But yeah it's seriously loving me up that I hadn't heard of him before.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

God drat it. You guys were right, commercialization and watering-down of black metal just makes me feel empty.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Gamma Nerd posted:

God drat it. You guys were right, commercialization and watering-down of black metal just makes me feel empty.

Is this a real iPhone promo shot?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah the sunbather pic is real and was used in the conference yesterday.

Oh, anyone interested in the urfaust singles who hasn't got them already: a) they sound great b) the King Dude split is already sold out from Ván. Amor Fati still had both when I ordered, and had by far the best distro price and shipping rates. (€7 for each record, compared to €8 at Iron Bonehead and €9.95 at some other place. It was only €4 to ship to the UK as well, black metal bargains!)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Deafheaven have nothing to do with black metal. They barely have anything to do with metal.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

The Clit Avoider posted:

Deafheaven have nothing to do with black metal. They barely have anything to do with metal.

Pretty much. Plus it's 2013. Anyone can be a BM "expert" after a trip to Metal Archives and Google search.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Gamma Nerd posted:

who the gently caress looks that close at a phone ad...

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

who the gently caress has a team lunch AND weekly staff meeting on the same Tuesday?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Morbid Florist posted:

Probably someone looking at the pictures that are advertising an entirely new operating system.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
While we're talking about black metal heaven something something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-jonuW0Xs

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Gamma Nerd posted:

I love that band and that album, but this is sort of the most deliciously ironic advertisement I've seen in a while, considering what the album is about. Whatever, I don't really care as long as they're benefiting from it.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I guess someone there has good taste.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
What do you guys think of Addaura's Burning for the Ancient? I like repetitive and 'beautiful' black metal and it hits that really well for me. By beautiful I mean like Igric more than pretty/flowery like Alcest.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Strange Horizon posted:

What do you guys think of Addaura's Burning for the Ancient? I like repetitive and 'beautiful' black metal and it hits that really well for me. By beautiful I mean like Igric more than pretty/flowery like Alcest.

Thanks for posting this. I've been trying to get into and discover more Cascadian black metal bands recently, because it's a local scene for me, and this band is pretty awesome.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sample track from Oranssi Pazuzu's new album: https://soundcloud.com/earsplit/oranssi-pazuzu-vino-verso

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Inquisition sample also surfaced today. It sounds good. People who have listened to Inquisition should know what to expect. One of the riffs towards the end really caught my ear, definitely excited for this one.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/streaming-inquisition-darkness-flows-towards-unseen-horizons-lyric-video/

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Inquisition leaked, if you are into that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nerve posted:

And you should be.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not really feeling it. No real atmosphere. Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan will probably always be my favorite album of theirs

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

nerve posted:

I'm surprised it took a metal band this long to use "universe of Satan" in their lyrics.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Abigor had "Satan's Galaxy" but I guess they weren't thinking big enough.

(That album got a lot of poo poo but it's one of my favorites.)

Actually they and that Norwegian band Troll both did the satanic cosmology thing some time ago. Probably others, too. Inquisition does rule, though, and I'm looking forward to getting the new one.

Speaking of cosmic black metal, I got all excited when I stumbled across this Swiss band, Moonfrost, while paging through the Omega Mail Order's current sale. Thought they were gonna be another Darkspace. Not so much. They sound like a tour of the entire 90s Norwegian scene: sometimes Darkthrone, sometimes Limbonic Art, sometimes Thorns. Occasionally they dip into the DSO/latter day Mayhem thing. Now that I'm writing it out I realize they have no identity at all. Good post. Good post.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

m-o-o-n posted:

I'm not really feeling it. No real atmosphere. Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan will probably always be my favorite album of theirs

I kinda agree with you but I like the new album. They're the definition of sticking-to-their-story but they have their place in my rotations which is more than I can say for most newer black metal

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Von Sloneker posted:

Speaking of cosmic black metal, I got all excited when I stumbled across this Swiss band, Moonfrost, while paging through the Omega Mail Order's current sale. Thought they were gonna be another Darkspace.

Speaking of Darkspace, I recently found Alrakis who are helping me cope until Dark Space IV is released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8F8UzWEyDI

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Just came back from a gig with Marduk and Ofermod. Marduk played a suprising number of songs from Rom 5:12, they also used the chanting from that album between songs. Is that album considered a milestone for them or something?

Anyway, they were good and Ofermod were great. There was supposed to be a third band, Valkyrja, which I've never heard of before, but I missed them or they weren't even there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye7nyzyrV4I

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Speaking of Darkspace, I recently found Alrakis who are helping me cope until Dark Space IV is released.

Will IV even be released this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Valkyrja are pretty decent live. Sound like a thrashier version of early Watain.