Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nothing you can say is going to convince me of anything but that the fist controls are for when it transforms into robot mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

lazer_chicken posted:

New BMWs have all sorts of weird poo poo, if our 135 is any indication. If you're inside the car you can always open the door regardless of if they are locked, but either way you have to pull the door handle twice to open it. I asked the techs at the dealer why you have to pull it twice and they said it was a "safety feature," which really makes no goddamn sense. Did they have problems with people accidentally opening the door while driving and falling out? Also, you can't do the normal sequential door unlock (driver's door first, then all doors) with the "tap the door handle" unlock feature. You can set it to unlock EITHER the drivers door OR all doors but it can't do one then the other, like, you know, the unlock button on keyfobs have been doing since the beginning of time.

Also, it doesn't have intermittent windshield wipers. It has a "normal" and "fast" setting that you turn on the regular way, by tapping the right stalk up. But then it has an "automatic" mode that you turn on with a little button on the end of the stalk. It's one of those rain-sensing things where it automatically adjusts the speed and it has a dial on the stalk that adjusts the sensitivity. I think it's supposed to replace the intermittent mode but it sucks and it's hard to adjust the sensitivity so it isn't either flailing wildly or not swiping at all.

My Mini had the double inside door handle pull to unlock too. It was annoying to have to explain to people "yeah pull it twice it thinks your a child"

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

lazer_chicken posted:

I think it's supposed to replace the intermittent mode but it sucks and it's hard to adjust the sensitivity so it isn't either flailing wildly or not swiping at all.

Sounds perfect for some people, those people being the ones that have to put their wipers on high/hurricane mode with the slightest amount of precipitation.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Neptr posted:

Sounds perfect for some people, those people being the ones that have to put their wipers on high/hurricane mode with the slightest amount of precipitation.

The actual perfect answer is a little adjuster on the stalk that sets the time between intermittent wipes, and it makes me sad it's not universal on cars.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

On headlights: Over here I keep seeing cars with at least one burned out headlight every single day. Then again, this is the country where people barely know they have indicator lights and how they work(the more expensive the car, the less likely indicator lights will be used for anything) including using them for turns or lane changes. Along with that, people will attempt lane changes as soon as there's enough room for their car to fit in, and fog lights get switched on even in mild fog or rain, or occasionally just for the hell of it.

My own :france: 2010 Peugeot 207 99g has semi-automatic headlights though. If they're on when the engine is switched off, they'll turn off too and go on again when the engine is started again. As a result I always keep them on. Kinda sucks when I have to drive a car that doesn't have that feature, as I will forget to turn them off after killing the engine.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'll admit to always loving up when I rent a car or drive someone else's that has the shifter on the floor. I haven't owned a car that didn't have the shifter on the wheel for years now, so when I drive a different car I'm always grabbing the turn signal stick to go in reverse, at least the first time I get in.

Also in my '65 Deville the high beam control is a button on the left side of the floor. :psyduck:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
From what I've seen, it was normal for the headlight "brights" switch to be on the floor in 50s and 60s cars.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Astroman posted:

I'll admit to always loving up when I rent a car or drive someone else's that has the shifter on the floor. I haven't owned a car that didn't have the shifter on the wheel for years now, so when I drive a different car I'm always grabbing the turn signal stick to go in reverse, at least the first time I get in.

Also in my '65 Deville the high beam control is a button on the left side of the floor. :psyduck:

This is very common for that era. Most cars/trucks were like this.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Carlin has got this thread covered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmZCsvE-sI

Edit: I'm going to just go ahead and suggest you listen to the full bit in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJZPviq5OxQ

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 10, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

azflyboy posted:

The same thing used to happen with airplanes, and still does occasionally.

The problem was largely solved by changing the filler ports and nozzles so that Jet-A nozzles were large and rectangular shaped, while Avgas (essentially leaded gasoline) nozzles were substantially smaller and round, which meant that it was generally impossible to misfuel a piston aircraft with jet fuel. It was also recommended that pilots of turbocharged aircraft remove any "turbo" badging from the exteriors, to reduce the chances of a fueler thinking "turbo" meant "turbine" and trying to put jet fuel into the airplane.

I used to work for a flight school that had a student manage to top off a trainer with about 20 gallons of jet fuel despite all of those safeguards being in place. The aircraft in question had fairly large fuel filler openings to enable the pilot to visually see how much fuel was in the tank, and they were apparently just large enough that they could set a Jet-A nozzle on top of the opening (it wouldn't fit inside) and carefully put fuel into the tank without it spilling all over the wing.

It's called the "Hoover Nozzle" and "Hoover Ring", named after Bob Hoover who became a big promoter of using them after some deck ape put Jet-A into his piston-powered Shrike Commander. Apparently there was just enough avgas to run the engines until they shut off shortly after rotation.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'd hate to see the people that can't successfully navigate the double turn lanes on an autocross.

"I hit all of the cones...that's the point, right?"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Smoke posted:

My own :france: 2010 Peugeot 207 99g has semi-automatic headlights though. If they're on when the engine is switched off, they'll turn off too and go on again when the engine is started again. As a result I always keep them on. Kinda sucks when I have to drive a car that doesn't have that feature, as I will forget to turn them off after killing the engine.

The landcruiser does that too- as soon as you open the drivers door with the key outside of the ON position it kills the headlights, and as soon as you turn it back to On, they come back on.

Its great- I dont leave my headlights on in my own vehicle, but im terrible at doing it at work!

Toyota also fitted a nice feature to the 100 series- the power windows stay active for about 45 seconds after you kill the engine, and they are all auto up/down. so you can shut down the engine, realise you've left a window down and as long as you dont open a door you can close em up without having to have the key in the ignition. Auto up/Down should be manditory on all electric windows- One quick press or lift and all 4 windows go up and down.

MoonCricket
Oct 26, 2002

Ferremit posted:

The landcruiser does that too- as soon as you open the drivers door with the key outside of the ON position it kills the headlights, and as soon as you turn it back to On, they come back on.

Its great- I dont leave my headlights on in my own vehicle, but im terrible at doing it at work!

Toyota also fitted a nice feature to the 100 series- the power windows stay active for about 45 seconds after you kill the engine, and they are all auto up/down. so you can shut down the engine, realise you've left a window down and as long as you dont open a door you can close em up without having to have the key in the ignition. Auto up/Down should be manditory on all electric windows- One quick press or lift and all 4 windows go up and down.

I bought a new Tacoma about 6 months ago and being able to close the windows after cutting the engine is great as is the auto headlight shut off many have mentioned. I love the ergonomics of all the controls except for the windshield wiper on/off. It's up for one temporary cycle, down one for 1st speed constant on, down two for 2nd speed constant on. There is no intermittent speed at all and it drives me crazy when it is raining just enough to not need the wipers constantly on but raining just hard enough where otherwise I would have to constantly hit the wipers up to clear the small amount of rain.

Also the seat belt warning is annoying when I'm working in the woods because I'm constantly in and out of my truck and never get over ~5mph but it's only mildly annoying because I just buckle the seat belt behind me when I'm out there. I would just turn it off but I really do need the chime to remind me because I'm on the street ~90% of the time and frequently forget to buckle up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

All our new toyotas at work have the "Put your seatbelt on you tard" chime

Its the first thing thats disabled. The second one is the "YOU LEFT YOUR KEYS IN THE IGNITION WITH THE DOOR OPEN!" chime on the hilux's. Yes i know that, I WANT TO LISTEN TO THE drat RADIO!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ferremit posted:

All our new toyotas at work have the "Put your seatbelt on you tard" chime

Its the first thing thats disabled. The second one is the "YOU LEFT YOUR KEYS IN THE IGNITION WITH THE DOOR OPEN!" chime on the hilux's. Yes i know that, I WANT TO LISTEN TO THE drat RADIO!

American tuning in a nutshell. :allears:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Phone posted:

It's bullshit. For some odd reason people these days don't have a lot of disposable income and employment is hard to come by. Also, stop yearning for "the good ol' days" it's sexist bullshit.

*farts in hand and fans it at you*

Smell dis? Is good no?

West SAAB Story posted:

People out this way are still scared and confused by a Diverging Diamond Interchange.

That's almost as good as up by where you live, NDOT didn't grind down before they slapped more asphalt down at the bridge overcrossing at Red Rock? Stead? So now it's a 13'11" instead of a 14'1", Nevada is a 14 foot state. That bridge is gonna get beat like UNLV.

VikingSkull posted:

No, there's no excuse. I work at an auction, we get everything from Kias to Ferraris, and I've been in thousands of cars. If it was made in the last 3 decades, I've been in an example of it, and finding controls isn't hard.

Here's a hint: They are all located within arms reach of the steering wheel.

Or if it is a International, down by your loving knees. Or if it is on a GM truck from the 1990's you have no idea, but it's best to hit all the switches because GM used water based poster paint for the important switch markings in the 1990s.

DrPain posted:

There was that one time I had to move a Porsche for the first time ever and spent 10 minutes trying to figure out where the gently caress that key went.

:negative:

Peterbilt are also like that. Handy as gently caress if you want to light off the engine while being on the ground.

I also want to meet the person who came up with this, blindfold them and beat them with a rubber hose.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's almost as good as up by where you live, NDOT didn't grind down before they slapped more asphalt down at the bridge overcrossing at Red Rock? Stead? So now it's a 13'11" instead of a 14'1", Nevada is a 14 foot state. That bridge is gonna get beat like UNLV.

poo poo is bouncy, yo. :dance:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

InterceptorV8 posted:

*farts in hand and fans it at you*

Smell dis? Is good no?

Or if it is a International, down by your loving knees. Or if it is on a GM truck from the 1990's you have no idea, but it's best to hit all the switches because GM used water based poster paint for the important switch markings in the 1990s.

Peterbilt are also like that. Handy as gently caress if you want to light off the engine while being on the ground.

I also want to meet the person who came up with this, blindfold them and beat them with a rubber hose.

That fake velour IS nasty. I prefer the Cheyenne vs. Silverado anyway--I specifically want vinyl floors instead of carpet, a bench seat, I want a clutch pedal with a throw as long as the actual shifter and I want a transfer case stick that you have to pull like a MAN, drat it, not a push button.

Also you can't accidentally roll down all the windows with your knee.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

I call fan belt!

God drat, it was 80s engineering they continued to cram down our throats until the mid cycle refresh, and even then, it fell apart. gently caress, that lasted until the more recent models.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

wallaka posted:

That fake velour IS nasty. I prefer the Cheyenne vs. Silverado anyway--I specifically want vinyl floors instead of carpet, a bench seat, I want a clutch pedal with a throw as long as the actual shifter and I want a transfer case stick that you have to pull like a MAN, drat it, not a push button.

Also you can't accidentally roll down all the windows with your knee.

Is it the door lock? Window? Which window? It's fun for the whole family!

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
ooh, is this where we can complain about poorly-designed intersections? Here's a couple five-way stops ( :suicide: ) from my neighborhood.

This one is fairly quiet, but it's a pain in the rear end just because it's so sprawling. On the odd occasion there's more than one car at the intersection, it turns into either "is he turning? I can't see ... well, I'll wait for him ... still not moving, I'll flash my lights ... now we're both going, now we're both stopping, gently caress." or someone blowing through the stop sign.

This one is pretty busy and is also right near two schools ( in addition to the driveways in the intersection and the two parallel roads ), so it gets to be a clusterfuck at times. I can only assume the traffic counts are low enough during non-peak times to keep it from getting a traffic light.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

Oh yeah? I've got a '94 Suburban, I got four of them shits.

...On the armrest, in a logical configuration. And they all work. :smug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MoonCricket posted:

I bought a new Tacoma about 6 months ago and being able to close the windows after cutting the engine is great as is the auto headlight shut off many have mentioned. I love the ergonomics of all the controls except for the windshield wiper on/off. It's up for one temporary cycle, down one for 1st speed constant on, down two for 2nd speed constant on. There is no intermittent speed at all and it drives me crazy when it is raining just enough to not need the wipers constantly on but raining just hard enough where otherwise I would have to constantly hit the wipers up to clear the small amount of rain.

GM started doing the "retained accessory power" in the.. early 90s, I think, originally on their luxury cars. I seem to remember mom's old 1990 Cadillac having that, and I know the 1992 she replaced it with after it got wrecked had it. They do it on pretty much everything now, even their economy cars.

For 10 minutes (or until a door is opened), the radio stays on, power windows still work, sunroof still works... and oddly, if the wipers were left on the high speed setting when the car was shut off, they also stay on (on my car, anyway). But only on high. :psyduck:

There's an automatic headlight turn off circuit, but it's to keep the battery from running low - after 10 or 15 minutes the headlights will shut off. Same with interior lights if a door was left open, trunk light, etc. The headlights are otherwise automatic on mine (including daytime running lights).

I've had a couple of cars with intermittent wipers that didn't let you adjust the delay. So far I've only had one vehicle that didn't have intermittents at all, but it was a 1980 with a bigass knob on the dash for the wipers.

Jared592 posted:

From what I've seen, it was normal for the headlight "brights" switch to be on the floor in 50s and 60s cars.

I know Ford at least kept that until at least the end of the 7th generation F-series trucks (80-86) - my 80 had it there. Probably stayed there well into the 90s on the medium and heavy duty stuff, since design of those vehicles doesn't get updated nearly as often as a consumer vehicle.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 11, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

This can be pants-shittingly terrifying when you're on a motorcycle. The worst part is that after they do it, they typically act like you're in the wrong. I've even had a bro truck chase me down at the next redlight and yell at me for cutting him off when he moved from the left turn-lane all the way to the right most lane (3 lanes)... Thank god there is lane splitting in CA, I usually just try and get the hell away from people asap.

Yep. I usually pick up the corner speed greatly and leave them behind.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Having someone tailgate the hell out of you leading up to an on-ramp and get visibly upset that you aren't going fast enough, only to fall way behind you going around it and you end up like a mile ahead of them on the highway when you see them coming out is pretty amusing

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My favorite thing to do to tailgaters is slowly increase my speed and then zoom through a tight corner at 45mph and then watch in my rearview as they come out of autopilot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nodoze posted:

Having someone tailgate the hell out of you leading up to an on-ramp and get visibly upset that you aren't going fast enough, only to fall way behind you going around it and you end up like a mile ahead of them on the highway when you see them coming out is pretty amusing

Usually I don't even need to accelerate out of the turn as much as I just maintain the speed limit through the turn. Has the same effect.

I must admit that I think I made a ricer Civic that was weaving through traffic and passing on the shoulder poo poo his britches when a tiny gay convertible started the corner while he was at the apex and was on his rear bumper before he had finished turning. Maybe you'd be faster if you put both hands on the wheel?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 11, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

On my commute this morning, I encountered:

• A Golf stopped with its hazards on in the bike lane, completely blocking it. Right in front of a company called "Safety first".
  • Some dude trying to jump out into ~30km/h from behind a stopped bus, making a guy in a work van panic brake, which in turn caused the tailgating rear end in a top hat behind him to rear-end the van.
  • Countless cyclists completely ignoring a red bicycle traffic light and a protected right turn arrow for cars. I came *this* close to hitting a completely oblivious iPod-listening woman because she just blasted through the red light like it was nothing.

And of course the usual assortment of dickheads either tailgating or trying to race from the lights in rush hour traffic.

Fun fun fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

On my commute this morning, I encountered:

• A Golf stopped with its hazards on in the bike lane, completely blocking it. Right in front of a company called "Safety first".
  • Some dude trying to jump out into ~30km/h from behind a stopped bus, making a guy in a work van panic brake, which in turn caused the tailgating rear end in a top hat behind him to rear-end the van.
  • Countless cyclists completely ignoring a red bicycle traffic light and a protected right turn arrow for cars. I came *this* close to hitting a completely oblivious iPod-listening woman because she just blasted through the red light like it was nothing.

And of course the usual assortment of dickheads either tailgating or trying to race from the lights in rush hour traffic.

Fun fun fun.

I really wish the police would start enforcing traffic laws on bikers just as much as they do cars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CommieGIR posted:

I really wish the police would start enforcing traffic laws on bikers just as much as they do cars.

They do that from time to time here, station a couple of cops at busy intersections and grab everyone who blows through a red light, rides on the sidewalk, uses a mobile phone etc.

At times, they've caught hundreds of cyclists at some intersections over the course of a day, but people just don't give a poo poo. The worst you can get is a ~$175 ticket for the worst infractions. Obviously you don't need any sort of license or anything to ride a bicycle, so a lot of people just ride by their own definition of the traffic laws, based on how they think the world should work, usually in some way that hugely favors themselves.

There is a genuine need for some self-discipline, but the Danish Cyclists Federation seems more interested in blocking off roads to cars etc. in order to benefit cyclists, instead of pushing for cyclists to actually obey the traffic laws.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Let's not do this.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

amenenema posted:

Let's not do this.

I agree, of course. I'm not trying to imply that cyclists are worse than motorists. The cops grab loads of people who speed in construction zones and drive recklessly etc. as well.

It's all really just one huge pile of poo poo, this traffic thing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On the subject of awful intersections, my town has two that piss me off to no end. They would be entirely reasonable intersections if the town would put in traffic lights, but my town has *NO* traffic lights because they would spoil the historic atmosphere. Most of the time this isn't a problem, it's a small town, but it also happens to contain one of the most popular beaches in Massachusetts, and one of the major scenic routes along the coast goes through the center of town. As such at the height of tourist season there can be some pretty drat significant traffic.

This is the intersection between the town's two busiest streets, route 1a (the scenic road I mentioned) and the most direct route to route 1 and the highway, as well as a road that houses many of the local businesses and the train station. Route 1a is the northwest to southeast road, and on summer weekends is generally bumper to bumper. As such, trying to turn left anywhere intersection can mean waiting a couple minutes or risking an accident.

This is another nearby intersection which is mostly notable for one feature. The primary route of the main road from the south (center of town) is to the Northwest across the train tracks. This road has no yield or flashing light or anything else. Because it is the direct route nobody signals if they're crossing the tracks. Likewise, no one signals if they're going down the road to the Northeast because it doesn't really look like a turn. Traffic coming in from the Northeast has a stop sign here, the only one in the intersection. The road coming in from the Northwest side of the tracks is elevated slightly and blocked by bushes and a fence, so combined with the awkward angle it makes it difficult to see if anyone is coming that way. Since no one signals approaching from the south you can't assume that just because someone isn't signaling that they aren't crossing the tracks, so sometimes you're stuck waiting at this intersection for as much as a minute despite relatively low traffic flow since people go pretty fast through here and no one ever stops for you. Even a couple more stop signs would make this intersection much more manageable, but, too much signage lowers property values don't you know?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's me. I'm the lane weaving rear end in a top hat who tailgates you constantly. Mostly because you're doing 61 MPH in the far left lane like an rear end in a top hat. I've tried flashing my lights. I've tried sticking my hand out the window/sunroof and waving at you to move over. Nothing ever works because you are loving oblivious even when you aren't on your phone or loving with your navigation system or telling your kids that you will pull this car over RIGHT THIS INSTANT IF YOU DON'T STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER BILLY I SWEAR TO loving GOD. And then when I finally see an open stretch of highway in the right lane so I can finally get around this fucktard and signal that I'm changing lanes they pick THAT loving INSTANT to decide to move over. Not the god drat mile and a half before that that they were holding up everyone behind them. So now I look like an rear end in a top hat as I'm sawing left and right on the wheel because you can't check your loving mirrors before doing anything at all.

I mean am I the only one who makes a visual circuit of their mirrors and the horizon when I'm driving? I mean I mostly do it so I'm a step ahead of any cops and I can slow down and not get pulled over it but it's pretty helpful for avoiding accidents too.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

revmoo posted:

My favorite thing to do to tailgaters is slowly increase my speed and then zoom through a tight corner at 45mph and then watch in my rearview as they come out of autopilot.

I like to put my foot down and watch the could of poo poo come out my exhaust and dump all over their car. This is especially good on unlit roads at night. It's very satisfying, but there are some persistant idiots who don't seem to mind driving through clouds of diesel smoke poo poo.

I look forward to fitting my flashing LEDs in the tailgate, those fuckers are bright.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

some texas redneck posted:

GM started doing the "retained accessory power" in the.. early 90s, I think, originally on their luxury cars. I seem to remember mom's old 1990 Cadillac having that, and I know the 1992 she replaced it with after it got wrecked had it. They do it on pretty much everything now, even their economy cars.

What confuses me is my family had a 1998 Chevy Malibu that kept accessory power but my 1998 Corvette doesn't. Wouldn't want to go sticking all those high-tech Malibu standard features in your flagship model I guess. I think the first model we had with it was a '96 Buick Regal?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

revmoo posted:

As hilarious as this sounds it will end up with the idiot behind you understeering into the oncoming lane and killing some innocent driver. I know this because pretty much exactly this nearly happened to me, idiot tailgater came sliding head on into my lane wheels locked at about 60. I had time to jab the brakes and twitch the wheel and he actually clipped me without causing any damage. I stopped and called the emergency services, he dragged his sorry rear end out of the ditch. If I'd have been a couple of feet further on the road I'd be dead, no doubt about that.

So yeah, don't deliberately cause accidents please, no matter how much the tailgater deserves it.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Just wait until we've got Google-guided cars. I predict a new golden age for motoring enthusiasts. People driving when they feel like driving and sleeping in their cars when they feel like sleeping rather than driving distracted/sleepy/drunk. Also, a lot more people banging in their cars. Unfortunately, many of us will be approaching the point of having "humans from Wall-E" physiques at that point, so the likelihood of seeing naked hot chicks will be lower than ever before. Sorry truckers.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And then they'll mandate Google Guided controls in all cars.

It's start with an "automated drive only lane" or even expressway, similar to HOV lanes. Some states will switch all the highways over to it, and pressure will be put on the federal government to mandate all new cars have automated driving. Then it's a quick step to making a rule you have to convert all old cars and bam!--Red Barchetta becomes a prediction of fact.

It's a little :tinfoil:, but not completely. Especially when the stats start pouring in about reduction of accidents, lessening of traffic jams, etc. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Then instead of the mantra being "Go to the track if you want to drive like that. You'll kill someone you idiot." It will be "Go to the track if you want to drive a car yourself. You'll kill someone you idiot."

Of course, there won't be any more tracks because they interfere with the eco-harmony of our interurban biomes.