Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
'course, i could just rewrite it as a raytracer

hmmmmmmmmmm

have i made myself crazy enough yet, or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

aaimzg

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

pshh

i could do that

if i really wanted to

heh

:stonk:

Dec 26, 2012

pisssssss

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
time to use this to make tf2 hats and get a lot of money

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

hmmmmmmmmmm

Is there a reference for writing your own rasterizer?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

hmmmmmmmmmm

making your own triangle rendering function can be very instructive, because then you can play around with interpolating stuff across your triangle (like textures coordinates) and do per pixel calculations like lighting and well that's basically exactly what pixel shaders do

a raytracer can be fun too tho I suppose (I actually never wrote one, i should try that sometime)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

i've been workin on a script to generate laser cuttable box joint shapes with bolts and non 90 degree angles. finished up this piece and cut my first prototype piece

pieces fit together great

its part of a delta style 3d printer

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

i've been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that there are literal wizards involved

Dec 26, 2012

added remote controls for limited turning/stopping and bumper-switches for stopping at obstacles/detecting that it's beaching on land/water. some fixed paint on the front and we're in business, more videos on the way

JG_Plissken
Oct 22, 2005

I went to a four year college and all I got was this stupid look on my face!

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ugh wait till they do it with people and nudify them

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

01011001 posted:

added remote controls for limited turning/stopping and bumper-switches for stopping at obstacles/detecting that it's beaching on land/water. some fixed paint on the front and we're in business, more videos on the way

owns

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

honestly the coolest part about this is that they clearly show what it doesn't do and what doesn't work

(primarily it seems to depend on clear borders & large amounts of symmetry, especially rotational symmetry.)

ofc it's still magic but it's realistic magic, you know?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
it's also a step in a long line of research concerning object extraction from images. there was a great youtube about generating the reverse side of objects from what can be seen, and another one about selecting objects with minimal input from the user, and another about inserting models into a scene, but i can't find any of them now :(

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 13, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

if you want to see a pile of cool graphics research in a compact form, can't do better than the SIGGRAPH technical previews. here's the 2013 one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFhkdGtHck

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

coffeetable posted:

if you want to see a pile of cool graphics research in a compact form, can't do better than the SIGGRAPH technical previews. here's the 2013 one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFhkdGtHck

I've seen a lot of those before but man they are still just as cool and amazing. computers own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dur posted:

I've seen a lot of those before but man they are still just as cool and amazing. computers own.

that reflectance capture one is excellent, and the 3d printer object balancing one

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

here're the last couple of years too, to save ppl some googlin

2012 asia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l81MqEWmR-g
2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKrng7ztpog
2011 asia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rIvKWR5b0
2011: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK9EEE3RsKM
2010 asia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xobWgoap9I
2010: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PMf3XrwPKo
2009 asia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYDm_OxZiHI
2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC5Y9W-E-po
2008 asia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofLxdnfYyYQ
2007: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fXA_nS41j0

Nachoes
Feb 2, 2007
With awesome sauce.
i built a console to run special effects for theatre productions. it's an arduino controlling a bunch of relays which control solenoids/solenoid valves/glow plugs full of flash cotton/whatever. i used it for a show where a room gets shot up to make things fall off the walls/bullet holes appear, and keep it synced up with the gunshot sound effects.

right now it's a box with a go button that stores all the times when it should fire the effects in arrays. eventually i want to add some sort of UI that would allow someone to build/edit a show without having to edit the arrays in the source code and re upload to the arduino. and i'd really like to have it work with midi show control too so i can eventually run it with QLab, but that's gonna take some research. i'm re-teaching myself linked lists because i think that's the best way to store my cue stack and still have it be editable/resizeable, but it's been a while since i've done anything like that.

it's a hella fun hobby though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nachoes posted:

i built a console to run special effects for theatre productions. it's an arduino controlling a bunch of relays which control solenoids/solenoid valves/glow plugs full of flash cotton/whatever. i used it for a show where a room gets shot up to make things fall off the walls/bullet holes appear, and keep it synced up with the gunshot sound effects.

right now it's a box with a go button that stores all the times when it should fire the effects in arrays. eventually i want to add some sort of UI that would allow someone to build/edit a show without having to edit the arrays in the source code and re upload to the arduino. and i'd really like to have it work with midi show control too so i can eventually run it with QLab, but that's gonna take some research. i'm re-teaching myself linked lists because i think that's the best way to store my cue stack and still have it be editable/resizeable, but it's been a while since i've done anything like that.

Nice. I dont know if I would use midi or dmx for this project, i know more about midi obv, but i would definitely retool it as a separate sequencer and then an interface box. if you could do like a modular approach where they could have 20 outs and do 10 squibs 3 solenoids 7 flash cottons, or whatever, i would think that really flexible

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Nachoes posted:

thats so dope

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Nachoes posted:

man, i wish i were smart

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

man, i wish i were smart

go to sparkfun, get the $100 arduino starter kit, do the projects, now u also can start to be smart

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

go to sparkfun, get the $100 arduino starter kit, do the projects, now u also can start to be smart

i just ordered this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i paid for it with amazon codes from a coinstar machine and bing rewards

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

duTrieux. posted:

i just ordered this

p cool

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress you fixed your thing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

looks fine to me :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

HUNDRED BUCKS

gently caress

i got mine from directfromasia.website but i sort of had to find all the bits myself

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i paid for it with amazon codes from a coinstar machine and bing rewards

thats ownage

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
microsoft finding creative new ways to pay people to use their products

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

vapid cutlery posted:

microsoft finding creative new ways to pay people to use their products

basically it means that i use bing for work related poo poo a few times a day, then every 2-3 months i can cash out a $5 cert.

i can also donate my "points" to buy surface rts for my local school, but i don't hate my local school so :shrug:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

How much do you make?

Nothing. After paying for the server, the packaging and the condom machine itself I loose money.

That is sad. Do you accept donations?

Yes, I do. Please send donations to 1MSa5eECnZsuzm4jTVCGbUkGNUXnqpVDjy.

This is a neat idea. Can I build one myself?

Absolutely! You just need a vending machine of some kind. The server software is available on github: https://github.com/gonium/kondocoin (GPLv3). Have fun!

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
got kind of bored of my 3d rendering poo poo so i put it aside for now

today i'm making pretty pictures using collatz numbers

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Holy d3.js is crazy awesome at data visualization stuff.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

seconded. its a little weird to get used to but it becomes extremely easy to put together custom visualizations + behavior.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

spongeh posted:

seconded. its a little weird to get used to but it becomes extremely easy to put together custom visualizations + behavior.

Quick example: This is (some of) the genealogy of the Canadian Monsanto decision.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

got kind of bored of my 3d rendering poo poo so i put it aside for now

today i'm making pretty pictures using collatz numbers

channel some tripwire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

i use it professionally to help non-technical people visually analyze your internet purchases+browsing metrics and market to you more effectively