Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

1 USB 3 and 1 USB 2 (...why?)

A lot of devices, particularly crappy knock-off brand consumer crap electronics do NOT like being plugged in to 3.0 USB ports for whatever reason. They either won't show a data connection, won't charge, or both.

Also for whatever reason phones like charging off of USB 2.0 when the laptop is off better than 3.0 ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Aphrodite posted:

Yep!

The Thinkpad Yoga with the recessing keyboard is 1080p, can have up to a 1TB HDD, has NFC, 2 USB 3.0 slots and mini-HDMI.
The Yoga 2 is 3200x1800, up to 512gb SSD, 1 USB 3 and 1 USB 2 (...why?), micro HDMI, and ~4 hours more claimed battery life.

It'd be nice if they offered the Thinkpad Yoga in a 13.3" model. They could call it the Thinkpad Yoga Pro (not to be confused with the Ideapad Yoga 2 Pro or the Ideapad Yoga or the Thinkpad Yoga).

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hey Lenovo how about having a good display and a track nipple? I mean if you had done that I might have canceled my Samsung Stupid Name Plus order, which Samsung apparently neglected to give Amazon any to sell.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Naffer posted:

It'd be nice if they offered the Thinkpad Yoga in a 13.3" model. They could call it the Thinkpad Yoga Pro (not to be confused with the Ideapad Yoga 2 Pro or the Ideapad Yoga or the Thinkpad Yoga).

I can't wait for their 10 inch tablet collaboration with Amazon, the Yoga Fire.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Aphrodite posted:

I can't wait for their 10 inch tablet collaboration with Amazon, the Yoga Fire.

And the 7" variant, the Yoga Flame

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, the yoga line is a huge mess now. There's the yoga 13, yoga 11, yoga 11s, yoga 2 pro, thinkpad yoga, and now the ideapad flex models as well!

I want a lenovo/sony collaboration leading to a vaiyoga pro.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frankly Lenovo might have a Yoga Catastrophe on their hands.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Conan the Librarian posted:

I just want to double check my understanding here, if I get the Y410p with just the 1TB drive I can easily purchase a 256GB SSD and install it in the future? Would it replace the DVD drive (that I don't care about)?

Also, I can conceivably transfer the OS over as well for faster boot times?

You can put the SSD in either spot. The ultra bay is easier to remove, so it's probably better to put the SSD in the standard HDD spot and then the old HDD in the ultra bay.

Or if you don't want the 1TB drive then you can just sell it on eBay, keep the dvd drive, and use an SSD for everything.

And here is advice for everyone: read the SSD megathread before you buy one. 250GB marks sort of a sweet spot of price/GB, overall price, performance, and reliability, but there are some brands to avoid

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So, pretty much tired of waiting for Haswell. Here is what I have in my cart right now.

T430s

• Intel Core i5-3320M Processor (3M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz)
• Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
• Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - English
• 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
• NVIDIA NVS 5200M Graphics with Optimus Technology (1GB DDR3 Memory), Intel Core i5-3320M Processor
• 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
• Keyboard Backlit - US English
• No Camera Mic
• 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
• DVD Recordable
• Express Card Slot
• 6 Cell Lithium Battery T81+
• 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
• Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

Total: 900.12

Anything that anyone sees being a drawback on this?

edit: Going to be using this for business, light gaming, and some graphic design.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 11, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

So, pretty much tired of waiting for Haswell. Here is what I have in my cart right now.

T430s
• 8 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM)

Total: 900.12

Anything that anyone sees being a drawback on this?

edit: Going to be using this for business, light gaming, and some graphic design.

I would upgrade the RAM yourself, installation is a single screw and saves you $50-100

Looks good though

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I would upgrade the RAM yourself, installation is a single screw and saves you $50-100

Looks good though

Awesome. Thanks. Ordered.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
W540 to have 2880x1620(?) screen:

http://www.dailytech.com/Lenovo+Unveils+New+Business+Class+ThinkPad+Notebooks/article33360.htm

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Considering the price that the W540 w/3k screen will no doubt command, I'm more interested in the T440p/T540p:

quote:

Both machines can be fitted with NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M graphics and up to 16 GB of RAM.

Both with 10+ hrs of battery. Still expecting them to do the same bullshit 1600x900 max on the T440, though. Too bad none of them look like they'll be available until sometime in November.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Thanks Lenovo we now have the following Thinkpads - T440s, T440p, T540p, W540, L440, L540, E440, and E450.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I just hope the GT730 isn't the lovely neutered 64 bit vram version.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Mu Zeta posted:

Thanks Lenovo we now have the following Thinkpads - T440s, T440p, T540p, W540, L440, L540, E440, and E450.
That's not really a whole lot different than last generation, though.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

Seamonster posted:

I just hope the GT730 isn't the lovely neutered 64 bit vram version.
Still would be faster than anything up to Iris Pro, as far as I can ascertain. We'll probably get some piece of poo poo HD4400 options for the processor.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Even so the 730m has the same number of pipes as the 750m albeit slower clocked and starving it of memory bandwith needlessly cripples the performance for a negligible reduction in power draw - its just stupid.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
So on the order status of my y410p, the estimated shipping date went from 9/25/2013 to 01/08/2014. :stare:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mu Zeta posted:

You forgot the S series, the X series, the Carbon, and the lovely plastic X series. And the tablet/the helix/whatever other weird convertible gimmicks are coming up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mutation posted:

So on the order status of my y410p, the estimated shipping date went from 9/25/2013 to 01/08/2014. :stare:

Mine has been bouncing all over the place. First it was 9/11, then it was 9/16, then 9/13, now it's 9/19.

So, I really don't know what the hell is going on.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What the gently caress, 810 usable vertical pixels??

HAVE THESE PEOPLE EVER USED 768 VERTICAL PIXELS THERE IS NO SPACE NONE

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Bob Morales posted:

What the gently caress, 810 usable vertical pixels??

HAVE THESE PEOPLE EVER USED 768 VERTICAL PIXELS THERE IS NO SPACE NONE

what about running it at 150% instead of 200%?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Superterranean posted:

what about running it at 150% instead of 200%?

Then things just end up looking slightly off.

3200x1800 would have been a better choice.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bob Morales posted:

3200x1800 would have been a better choice.

Speaking of which, does anyone here have some first hand experience with Samsung's "Ativ Book 9 Plus" Ultrabook?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

X240: silver

L440: black

W540: ...Black exterior, silver interior? WTF? Is this the Oreo edition?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
That L440 looks sexy. It reminds me of the black MacBook.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

HP/Google announced a $299 Haswell powered Chromebook earlier today. Say what... http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4720470/hps-colorful-chromebook-14-costs-299-this-holiday-season

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Ordered a ThinkPad T530 with the 1920x1080 screen over the weekend, the replacement SSD and extra RAM arrived from Newegg this morning and the laptop ships on Monday. Feels good to be able to ignore all of Lenovo's bullshit with these Haswell-generation ThinkPads.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
So, as a potential alternative to the Chromebook market, it looks like Asus is going to release a full Windows 8.1 version of its Transformer tablet line for $349. Initial reports seem to be positive.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/asus-reveals-transformer-book-t100-with-windows-8-1-for-349-we/

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

teagone posted:

HP/Google announced a $299 Haswell powered Chromebook earlier today. Say what... http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4720470/hps-colorful-chromebook-14-costs-299-this-holiday-season

If they somehow manage to get a decent 1600x900 panel in there, I'd buy one regardless of whatever devices I already/will have.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
A 14" Thinkpad with a good screen and a quad-core CPU and weighs 4.1 lbs?

Note that the T440p doesn't have the drop hinge.

Edit: If you look at http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1717 it doesn't explicitly say that the T440p will offer a quad core CPU. That's just some DailyTech guy failing at reading comprehension.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 12, 2013

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
What happened to the Zbook 15 that was announced/"released"/whatever yesterday? HPs site doesn't even have the tech specs anymore, but there are cached copies floating around. Are there supposed to be shipping "today"?

I need a new laptop for work by the end of the month, in the desktop replacement/workstation class. It looks like the Zbook is the first of these to be released with Haswell, with the Thinkpad W540 and T540p not shipping until November. I do CPU-heavy work that needs a bunch of RAM (16GB+), but don't need any sort of GPU beyond what's needed to render the desktop. The more pixels the better, in a 15"ish screen. IT seems to be steering me towards HP or Lenovo. Will likely be running some flavour of Linux on it.

The HP Elitebook 8570w seems to have thermal issues causing the CPU to throttle.
The T540p looks about right but it's shipping way too late. Same deal with the W540, but I don't want/need the GPU in there.

Is the Zbook my only real option? Anything else I should be looking at? How are Clevo-based laptops these days? Worth trying to get something like a Gazelle from System76?

edit: Finally found ordering info for the Zbook on the HP site, $2600 for a 4800MQ-based, 1920x1080 laptop without an SSD. That's seriously into top-spec rMBP territory.

spoof fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2013

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
If 16 GB were fine, the Dell Latitude E6540 is already released, in one specific very reasonable configuration. But Linux, plus an AMD graphics card? I don't know about that...

If 32 GB is required, you've got the Clevo P15-something and P17-something. There's also the Alienware 17. I'd just get a W530 if I needed it now -- do you need the extra battery life that Haswell might get you?

edit: Yeah, haha, Elitebooks are expeeensive.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 12, 2013

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I don't really need the battery life. It'll mostly be lugged around and plugged in. Mostly trying to get as much CPU performance as I can get. Needing to get the older models when the new ones are right on the cusp is probably irking me more than it should. The W530 is basically what I need though, but I'd trade that GPU for a better screen.

Hitting 12GB in some workloads right now, so will probably need the ability to go to 32GB down the road (next year?).

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

shrughes posted:

But Linux, plus an AMD graphics card? I don't know about that...

It used to be a good idea to avoid ATI/AMD graphics in Linux, but this isn't really the case anymore. I'd say nVidia is still better overall, but I wouldn't specifically avoid something with AMD graphics.

If a discrete GPU isn't needed, I'd try to stick with the onboard Intel graphics if possible. Intel's Linux driver is open source and very well supported by every distro.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Is there anything that's not a Clevo with a 45W (Ivy) or 47W (Haswell) CPU and without a discrete GPU? None of the current Thinkpad T series seem to fit the bill, the W has a GPU, the Inspiron E6540 has an AMD GPU, all of the Elitebooks seem to have GPUs, ditto Zbooks.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

spoof posted:

What happened to the Zbook 15 that was announced/"released"/whatever yesterday? HPs site doesn't even have the tech specs anymore, but there are cached copies floating around. Are there supposed to be shipping "today"?

I need a new laptop for work by the end of the month, in the desktop replacement/workstation class. It looks like the Zbook is the first of these to be released with Haswell, with the Thinkpad W540 and T540p not shipping until November. I do CPU-heavy work that needs a bunch of RAM (16GB+), but don't need any sort of GPU beyond what's needed to render the desktop. The more pixels the better, in a 15"ish screen. IT seems to be steering me towards HP or Lenovo. Will likely be running some flavour of Linux on it.

The HP Elitebook 8570w seems to have thermal issues causing the CPU to throttle.
The T540p looks about right but it's shipping way too late. Same deal with the W540, but I don't want/need the GPU in there.

Is the Zbook my only real option? Anything else I should be looking at? How are Clevo-based laptops these days? Worth trying to get something like a Gazelle from System76?

edit: Finally found ordering info for the Zbook on the HP site, $2600 for a 4800MQ-based, 1920x1080 laptop without an SSD. That's seriously into top-spec rMBP territory.

15", many pixels, 16gb ram, good CPU and linux screams 15" rMBP to me. I just got one for work, if nothing else the design and screen are stunning. Upgraded W530 might be a good option too, but hell, if work is paying for it go for the gold. 2880x1800 is as many pixels as you could ask for, if you can handle the tiny text.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

Dell m4800 (15") was released:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4800-workstation/fs

Currently you can't change the processor/RAM/etc on any of the pre-built models (I called dell and was told you'd be able to customize more "soon"), but $2k gets you a 3200x1800 screen with a 2.4base/3.7ghz "turbo" i7 and a 2GB K2100M. Apparently, the battery/RAM/storage are user-replaceable. You also get a pointing stick with two sets of physical buttons. Dell also has a 3-year accidental damage warranty for $120 -- has anyone used it?

The other high-res non-Ultrabook Haswell-based competition seems to be the Zbook 15:

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTE...t8AAAFAINpn4emG

which starts at $2k with a 1080P screen and no option online to configure the higher-res screens (yet). The Dreamcolor 1080P upgrade is $400, but I have no idea if that has any bearing as to how much they will want to charge for the 3200x1800 screen.

There's also the W540, which I refuse to buy unless they decide to bring back the trackpoint buttons (they won't) or make it substantially cheaper than either of the other options.

I thought about a rMBP, but it lacks a trackpoint at all, has everything soldered in, and the Haswell refresh might not come with dedicated graphics. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing or how the performance would be compared to the workstation-class cards.

Magic Underwear: What distro are you running? I had heard the rMBPs were bad for Linux, as in you need to set a ton of specialized stuff up. Regarding the tiny text, I have a 1920x1200 15" laptop, and a combination of a default zoom Firefox plugin, changing my terminal fonts, and some GTK tool I forgot the name of has everything nicely scaled up for me, though I'm not sure how well it would work since I'm still at like half your resolution. Not sure if the GTK thing would be useful to you or not, but you might want to look into it if you use GTK-based apps.

Meltycat fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Damnit, Dell, why are you all such clowns with your lack of customizability in a laptop like that M4800? Only offering a 2x2 wireless card stock? Also sticks with the offset keyboard, and although Dell does offer trackpoints, the buttons they use are pretty damned awful compared to the rounded/beveled design on the T/W520 series.

Argh, what do we have to do to get good screens these days? I just want to take a frankenstein's monster combination of the guts out of several of these machines, and stuff it in to a W520 or T420's chassis.