Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Tomn posted:

1B: "Didn't you hear your dad? His name is Spawn!"

2C: Keep up a running commentary and observation with Danal about how the battle is going, try and work out the flow and tide of it. Let's make this educational and learn about how a battle works as best as we can educate ourselves from a distance, and let's make sure Danal is learning too! Heroism is about war sometimes, it's not just about individual heroics, and maybe we can find out what Ishmael is up to!

Voting for Tomn's plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008

Tomn posted:

2C: Keep up a running commentary and observation with Danal about how the battle is going, try and work out the flow and tide of it. Let's make this educational and learn about how a battle works as best as we can educate ourselves from a distance, and let's make sure Danal is learning too! Heroism is about war sometimes, it's not just about individual heroics, and maybe we can find out what Ishmael is up to!

This has style.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Task Manager posted:

Also, if we can still ask questions ask Danal if he knows why Ishamal and his buddies have a different design on their shields than everyone else. (If he can't see the shields himself, describe it to him).
I think we know.

Xuriel, the patron of artists, artistry, merry making, poetry, singing and dancing who painted the stars upon the night sky. We know Ishamal's favorite Olaphim is Xuriel. This looks like the Xuriel crew.

They might be 'beserkers' of some sort and so not exactly good in ordered ranks, which we would not know anything about at all. But we do know about Xuriel and Ishamal.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tomn posted:

yup, This.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Sogol posted:

I think we know.

Xuriel, the patron of artists, artistry, merry making, poetry, singing and dancing who painted the stars upon the night sky. We know Ishamal's favorite Olaphim is Xuriel. This looks like the Xuriel crew.

They might be 'beserkers' of some sort and so not exactly good in ordered ranks, which we would not know anything about at all. But we do know about Xuriel and Ishamal.

Sounds like the answer to me! Thanks for clarifying for me Sogol.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Sogol posted:

Ok. I have theory now based on the Sandal of Damat/Zepath. I ave tried putting the forest art against Olaphim. Anybody have better ideas for matches? We need to study some heraldry and the signs of of the Olaphim and various cities.

By the way, I'm not really sure about this theory. Remember, Damat wasn't even originally on the list of Olaphim - he got added in after someone asked Dio about any gods of exploration.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Task Manager posted:

Sounds like the answer to me! Thanks for clarifying for me Sogol.
And they are our buddies and completely crazily asked us to come get drunk and fight with them!

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
1C

Tomn posted:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

jng2058 posted:

Let Danal have something to think about besides being there.

A little prayer doesn't hurt, even if Tudiya's got this.

Do this. I really like Tomn's 2C commentary plan too.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Something just occurred to me - maybe we should let our mother/the captain of the guard know where we are so they don't go crazy with worry?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. His name is Spawn, silly!

2. I say we point out whatever tactics we can figure out from the battle to Danal like the others say, but after the melee becomes to general to understand, play our flute. Maybe it will work better than some silly old prayer.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Tomn posted:

In for this. Spawns gonna get his horns kicked in!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Slaan posted:

1. His name is Spawn, silly!

2. I say we point out whatever tactics we can figure out from the battle to Danal like the others say, but after the melee becomes to general to understand, play our flute. Maybe it will work better than some silly old prayer.

My current theory is that it has to do with Olaphim. Have we tried playing it with the Xuriel crew or Ishamal? Our sandals might just always work because we are always with Zepathans or in Zepath? :iiam:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Task Manager posted:

Also, if we can still ask questions ask Danal if he knows why Ishamal and his buddies have a different design on their shields than everyone else. (If he can't see the shields himself, describe it to him)

Danal shakes his head. He does not know what the meaning of Ishamal's shield is.

Also. Ophanim. Not Olaphim.

A bit on names.

I tried to use not-mesopotamia/other near eastern sources for names, but to most of you, these may as well be gibberish words for names and I appreciate that it might be confusing.

We could switch to more conventional names if you want. You might call Melachim angels and Ophanim Arch Angels, but those are christian words which invoke baggage in your mind which may not relevant here, there has not been much if any references to Christian theology here. You might call them minor gods but even that implies information you were not told, just like the word angel.

We have been liberally stealing names from across time and space.

No one from Zepath has ever used the word angel, or the word god to describe El or the Melachim. They describe these supernatural creatures by their relationship to each other and the world and their history.

If it helps you, you MIGHT think of them as angels or gods but in our culture, those word comes with a LOT of baggage which may not fit the descriptions given here.

Would a glossary in the OP of some of the major names help? If you really want we could use more familiar names but I would be hesitant to do so otherwise.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 10, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Diogines posted:

Danal shakes his head. He does not know what the meaning of Ishamal's shield is.

Also. Ophanim. Not Olaphim.

A bit on names.

I tried to use not-mesopotamia/other near eastern sources for names, but to most of you, these may as well be gibberish words for names and I appreciate that it might be confusing.

We could switch to more conventional names if you want. You might call Melachim angels and Ophanim Arch Angels, but those are christian words which invoke baggage in your mind which may not relevant here, there has not been much if any references to Christian theology here. You might call them minor gods but even that implies information you were not told, just like the word angel.

We have been liberally stealing names from across time and space.

No one from Zepath has ever used the word angel, or the word god to describe El or the Melachim. They describe these supernatural creatures by their relationship to each other and the world and their history.

If it helps you, you MIGHT think of them as angels but in our culture, that word comes with a LOT of baggage which may not fit the descriptions given here.

Would a glossary in the OP of some of the major names help? If you really want we could use more familiar names but I would be hesitant to do so otherwise.

I like the names, even if I get them wrong.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I don't care if people get them wrong, I just want to make sure I m not confusing people.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I'm down with keeping the names as is - goons have a tendency to latch onto the weirdest things and insist on them being important or true, so having actual angels/arch-angels/whatever is just going to exacerbate the problem. A glossary and general repository of stuff we really should be remembering for whatever reason would be dang handy, though, if you don't mind the work.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
I love all the different names - I just have trouble keeping them straight. I think a general glossary of terms sounds great.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Tomn posted:

I like this.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -