Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

This is exactly how I felt about it. It did such a good job that I couldn't tell whether this was a good or a bad thing, but the awful acting did edge it slightly over the line into "bad thing".

Needs more Lux Aeterna played over slowed down clips of someone talking or doing something "evil". Throwing in cheesy text over the video with a bunch of mis-spelled words would help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

Add Excision to the list.

Except that Pauline wasn't really a normal person, in the straightest sense. Definitely watch Excision though, it seriously has the most well-written female protagonist in a horror movie I've seen.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Could anyone provide any suggestions for films like May, Teeth, and American Mary? I really like the shared structure of these films in which the horror is derived from the protagonist becoming something monstrous through their own actions and accord. I'm not really looking for movies in which the twist is that the hero was secretly the villain. I mean particularly an off-beat story about a normal person dealing with becoming a monster.

Alyce Kills has a female protagonist who is normal(...ish. She strikes me as perhaps being a bit of a psycopath from the start) who spirals completely out of control after accidentally killing her friend. Girl goes fuckin' crazy.

While the two leads in Deadgirl aren't exactly shining examples of human beings to begin with, one knows things are hosed up and becomes more and more disillusioned and disgusted with the situation while the other sees the situation as an opportunity to abuse and violate with no repercussions.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Let's talk about Larry Cohen, because Larry Cohen is cool.

I've just been recently revisiting his work and everything from the It's Alive to Q to the Stuff and all the way up to his MOH entry, Pick Me Up is just really smart and self aware as hell. Also, Michael Moriarty being great in a lot of his films. Dudes a bit underrated in my eyes and was always contributing such unique (and utterly batshit) ideas to the genre, that it's a shame he doesn't get a little more respect. Q is one of the goofiest concepts I've ever heard of and it somehow ends up a very good character driven film about a giant ancient God-winged serpent terrorizing New York City. On that note, he must be an actor's director (or just smart about who he hires)because a lot of the time, he always has at least one very strong performance in all his stuff.

Just sayin', go watch the guy's movies. They're good and you won't see anything quite like them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I recently rewatched The Stuff and was kinda blown away by how awesome it was. Really smartly written. I haven't seen Q or It's Alive in years but I really need to revisit them. I missed seeing Q on the big screen recently and was pretty bummed.

In terms of his weirdo horror concepts, social satire, and embrace of outre special effects he kinda reminds me of Frank Hennenlotter.

I haven't seen Pick Me Up yet, but if I'm not mistaken that one's written by David J. Schow, who is also a very smart and self-aware horror writer. He also wrote the screenplay to The Crow I think.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 10, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What do y'all think of God Told Me To?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I embarrassingly haven't seen it at all.

You guys have convinced me, I'm going on a Larry Cohen binge.

edit: drat, dude has a lot of writer credits I forgot about, particularly Maniac Cop, which loving rules.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 10, 2013

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

I recently rewatched The Stuff and was kinda blown away by how awesome it was. Really smartly written. I haven't seen Q or It's Alive in years but I really need to revisit them. I missed seeing Q on the big screen recently and was pretty bummed.

In terms of his weirdo horror concepts, social satire, and embrace of outre special effects he kinda reminds me of Frank Hennenlotter.

I haven't seen Pick Me Up yet, but if I'm not mistaken that one's written by David J. Schow, who is also a very smart and self-aware horror writer. He also wrote the screenplay to The Crow I think.

Hennenlotter is a good comparison, and yet where he (successfully) goes for absurdist comedy in the horror motif, Cohen (successfully) goes for character driven drama in the horror motif. The comedy is there, but it's never overt.

It's Alive is imo, his strongest work. A father going from hating to loving his monstrous son because he is a part of him is a beautiful sentiment. Also, throat ripping.

And yes, Schow is a good splatter writer. The plot of Pick Me Up isn't...plausible on any level, but the incredibly strong lead performances tie up any loose ends.

God Told Me To is a really good, strange film that openly questions religion and has Andy Kaufman for no reason. Chris Nolan was obviously a fan anyways.

Edit: oh yeah, Maniac Cop rules too. Oh My God, Bobby Z just won't stop killing people.

Glamorama26 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 10, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glamorama26 posted:

Edit: oh yeah, Maniac Cop rules too. Oh My God, Bobby Z just won't stop killing people.

He turned back into a good guy at the end of Maniac Cop 2 though, didn't he?

I always liked the fact that the first two Maniac Cop movies used the same tag line: "You have the right to remain silent ... forever!"

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

As much as we're all burned out on found footage, Afflicted does a really good job with it. It's got a ton of jump scares and stuff, but they're all earned and you completely connect with the characters. Think of Chronicle as a straight horror and you're pretty close.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309961/

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Toronto fest. And yeah, Sacrament premiered tonight and one friend of mine said it was her favorite film of TIFF so far. I'm trying to avoid reading much about it because I'm seeing it Tuesday but I'm fuckin hyped.

Fill us in when you get a chance! I posted in this thread asking for cult / secret society recommendations somewhat recently, and that really ramped up my excitement for this. I feel as though, given the subject matter, there is no way The Sacrament ends up as vanilla as The Innkeepers.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I had fond memories of Event Horizon from when I was younger and rewatched it on Netflix the other day, god, what incredibly cheap jump scares with no purpose whatsoever. It's quiet and creepy, lets smash cut to a bloody thing and play a loud noise! That's scary right??

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Can't we just all agree that Event Horizon was a great little popcorn horror film and never speak of it again?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Event Horizon is one of the greatest films ever made.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Strontosaurus posted:

Citizen Kane, The Bicycle Thief, Event Horizon

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Truly the magnum opus of Sam Neill, Laurence Fishburne, and Paul W. S. Anderson.

Actually, that last one is 100% true.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strontosaurus posted:

That's what I keep hearing people in this thread say. So when I saw it was on Netflix I went to go see it but

Buzkashi posted:

I had fond memories of Event Horizon from when I was younger and rewatched it on Netflix the other day, god, what incredibly cheap jump scares with no purpose whatsoever. It's quiet and creepy, lets smash cut to a bloody thing and play a loud noise! That's scary right??

Is exactly how I felt that I didn't even finish it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Truly the magnum opus of Sam Neill, Laurence Fishburne, and Paul W. S. Anderson.

Event Horizon is kinda fun but nowhere near as good as Mortal Kombat.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
If you like genital torture and actors from Eastenders you should definitely watch I Spit on Your Grave 2.

If you like literally anything else more than those two things you should definitely not watch I Spit on Your Grave 2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I now have ITV's Hammer House of Horror series in my sweaty paws, and 13 episodes of the finest horror 1980's TV could produce await me. I know this is a cinema thread, but would anyone be interested in potted reviews?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Definitely.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Seconded. I've been meaning to check that box set out, I've never seen the show but I've heard good things.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Okay I feel like going on a Netflix binge since it's September 11th and I'm depressed as gently caress. What horror films are available for streaming right now that I shouldn't miss before they expire?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Urdnot Fire posted:

In a world where Mortal Kombat doesn't exist, sure.

...I should have scrolled down, apparently other people share my taste of fine cinema.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Death Race is his best movie, closely followed by the second to last Resident Evil. I don't even know why this is an issue. Mortal Kombat is silly-stupid, but not taken nearly as far (or played as straight) as Death Race, or as utterly ridiculous as whatever number Resident Evil that is.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Would it be possible for a new thread on this topic? It's pretty tough to find things among 445 pages (even though there are like four topics we always circle back to eventually).. What made me think of that was that I know it's been discussed, but what was the consensus on The Lords of Salem?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm watching Lords of salem right now and it's so dull, I keep getting distracted into doing other things. Who said this was like Season of the Witch - what a terrible recommendation (unless you're saying Zombie didn't "get" what makes Season of the Witch so awesome, and made this by doing so).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Close this bad boy at 666 pages. I feel like I'm the only person who liked Lords of Salem.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Close this bad boy at 666 pages. I feel like I'm the only person who liked Lords of Salem.

I'm very impatiently awaiting the DVD release but I have a feeling I'm going to love it. Tim Brayton gave it a pretty glowing review.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I thought it was pretty good but I didn't love it like I wanted to. It's a tough movie and in general doesn't give the audience alot to work with. I also don't think Zombie fully pulls of the kind of nightmare like atmosphere that this kind of movie really needs. It almost gets there but I just found it a little lacking in the end. Still, it was interesting and it was definitely worth a watch. I also thought Sherri Moon Zombie was pretty good in it and don't really know why she still seems to get flack other than the nepotism annoying people.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I wanted to like Lords of Salem but it didn't do a lot for me. I appreciated the restraint it showed in a lot of places where you would expect some in your face horror to start happening; it mostly held off in favor of the weird, slow burn. OK so there are parts that are definitely not very restrained, but it played with my expectations a lot; for example, the first time the record is played over the airwaves and you see different people around the town reacting to it, I was expected things to start getting gory and going off the rails at that point, but no, the movie just keeps cruising along and doing its own thing for a while longer. I think I can see what he was going for, a more low-key, artsy throwback psychological horror, but it just didn't connect with me, and felt like an outright slog at times.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's the first Rob Zombie movie I've ever been excited to see.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Nope, I'm right there with you. It's atmospheric as hell and left me just incredibly uneasy throughout. It doesn't always work, but it's got some incredible imagery going on, and the way it embraces its insanity really paid off for me.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Speaking of jump scares I am eagerly awaiting Friday for Insidious 2. So far the early critic reviews either love or hate it. Looks to be about the same with the first one.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think what I like most about LOS is the collection of oddballs that the cast is made out of.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think what I like most about LOS is the collection of oddballs that the cast is made out of.

I just read the novelization and it's a really hilarious feeling being like "I'll bet you anything this dude is played by Ken Foree" and then looking at the IMDB page and having it confirmed.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

I just read the novelization and it's a really hilarious feeling being like "I'll bet you anything this dude is played by Ken Foree" and then looking at the IMDB page and having it confirmed.

Speaking of Ken Foree, I watched From Beyond the other day and thought it was pretty good. It felt similar to Re-Animator in a lot of ways, but the pacing wasn't as good and the CGI was almost distractingly bad at times. But like Re-Animator, it had a ton of great gross-out practical effects and makeup, and of course, Jeffrey Combs as a scientist.

I also watched Castle Freak which started off kind of slow, but really picked up in the 2nd act. The gore level is definitely really high, and there are some great shots of the characters running through the castle being chased by the freak.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Castle Freak is probably the last good horror movie Stuart Gordon made, but since then he's made a bunch of pretty good non-genre stuff like Edmond and Stuck.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Castle Freak is probably the last good horror movie Stuart Gordon made, but since then he's made a bunch of pretty good non-genre stuff like Edmond and Stuck.

I almost flipped out at the first part of this sentence but then I got to the second part of this sentence. I think you're the first person I've seen express good feelings about Edmond besides me. King of the Ants is another good one in the Edmond/Stuck mold. Although, really, I'm not sure I'd hesitate to call any of those three flicks horror movies.

From Beyond is great for a bunch of reasons, but one thing I find really charming is that despite the fact that the effects are, at times, pretty goddamn janky (those closeups of the elongated-neck form of Pretorious where they didn't even try to hide the actor's real neck at the bottom of the frame are straight-up embarassing), there's this real sense that Stuart Gordon is just not going to allow the constraints of film effects hold back the absolutely insane things he has in their imagination. Also, while it's not as good a movie as Re-Animator, it's way better of a Lovecraft adaptation, especially the first ten minutes or so.

According to IMDB, Neal Adams did some concept art for it, although I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Parachute posted:

Speaking of Ken Foree, I watched From Beyond the other day and thought it was pretty good. It felt similar to Re-Animator in a lot of ways, but the pacing wasn't as good and the CGI was almost distractingly bad at times. But like Re-Animator, it had a ton of great gross-out practical effects and makeup, and of course, Jeffrey Combs as a scientist.

Wait, what? :psyduck: