Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
..and if you refuse to convert, they'll send a Google Agent to your home and place of business with some old chatlogs that you thought were lost to the annals of time to help persuade you. They weren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Then instead of the mantra being "Go to the track if you want to drive like that. You'll kill someone you idiot." It will be "Go to the track if you want to drive a car yourself. You'll kill someone you idiot."

Of course, there won't be any more tracks because they interfere with the eco-harmony of our interurban biomes.our property values.

C'mon man you know what it's really about

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

On the subject of awful intersections, my town has two that piss me off to no end. They would be entirely reasonable intersections if the town would put in traffic lights, but my town has *NO* traffic lights because they would spoil the historic atmosphere. Most of the time this isn't a problem, it's a small town, but it also happens to contain one of the most popular beaches in Massachusetts, and one of the major scenic routes along the coast goes through the center of town. As such at the height of tourist season there can be some pretty drat significant traffic.

This is the intersection between the town's two busiest streets, route 1a (the scenic road I mentioned) and the most direct route to route 1 and the highway, as well as a road that houses many of the local businesses and the train station. Route 1a is the northwest to southeast road, and on summer weekends is generally bumper to bumper. As such, trying to turn left anywhere intersection can mean waiting a couple minutes or risking an accident.

This is another nearby intersection which is mostly notable for one feature. The primary route of the main road from the south (center of town) is to the Northwest across the train tracks. This road has no yield or flashing light or anything else. Because it is the direct route nobody signals if they're crossing the tracks. Likewise, no one signals if they're going down the road to the Northeast because it doesn't really look like a turn. Traffic coming in from the Northeast has a stop sign here, the only one in the intersection. The road coming in from the Northwest side of the tracks is elevated slightly and blocked by bushes and a fence, so combined with the awkward angle it makes it difficult to see if anyone is coming that way. Since no one signals approaching from the south you can't assume that just because someone isn't signaling that they aren't crossing the tracks, so sometimes you're stuck waiting at this intersection for as much as a minute despite relatively low traffic flow since people go pretty fast through here and no one ever stops for you. Even a couple more stop signs would make this intersection much more manageable, but, too much signage lowers property values don't you know?

This sounds like a good time to spend a bit of tourism revenue having cops directing traffic at peak times. No tourism revenue? Have additional cops enforcing every traffic law imaginable.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Yesterday morning I was heading into town to go to class. A lady who looked to be in her mid to late 20s in a Subaru pulled out in front of me into the road leaving my (small) town.

This would've been fine if she went the speed limit (40) instead of 30. Or went 45 instead of 30 when the road met with my area's main route. Or going over 25 mph in the 30 zone the next town over, or going 35 instead of 25 on the faster back route to the next town... you get the message. There was only one stretch where she and the speed limit matched within 5 mph, and the limit there was 25.

She didn't react at all to any of the ways I tried to signal her. Didn't look in her mirror, wave, look backwards, give me the finger, yell, speed up, or anything. I flashed my brights twice, flashed them a whole buncha times, beeped my horn politely, beeped it a whole bunch, yelled out the window asking her to go the speed limit, held the horn down for fifteen seconds... absolutely nothing. I ended up being ten minutes late to class.

I'm thinking of buying a marine horn to mount under my car, and wiring it to go off when I push both horn buttons.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 12, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
A. Cross DY
or
B. Leave for class earlier

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

This sounds like a good time to spend a bit of tourism revenue having cops directing traffic at peak times. No tourism revenue? Have additional cops enforcing every traffic law imaginable.

Valid point, it's not as if the cops have anything else to do around here. I never see them set up speed traps, usually they're just pulling an Adam 69 in the parking lot across from the local old people's bar. Every time there's a minor accident 4 cop cars show up.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

A. Cross DY
or
B. Leave for class earlier

I'm usually ten minutes early :mad:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
yesterday evening I had to do the groceries and run a few other errands including finding a cordless phone to replace the mysteriously missing one. It's always a harrowing affair so I was exhausted and just bought takeaway for the family. When I was going to pick it up I was driving behind a special snowflake. Driving behind them on the main street they were going 50km/h which is the limit. No worries. Then they slowly started to slow down until we were going less than 30km/h then the turned where I needed to turn. They continued to get slower until I was in 1st, barely idling and considering stopping briefly to knock back to low range. They turned just before I needed to pull up and they stopped. Urgh. Why do people bother driving when it's faster to be on foot.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm usually ten minutes early :mad:

No opportunities to overtake?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

No opportunities to overtake?

None. It's all two-lane until I get to the major hub intersection a few towns over.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 22, 2018

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

atomicthumbs posted:

None. It's all two-lane until I get to the major hub intersection a few towns over.

Krakkles posted:

Honestly, I'm pretty law abiding when it comes to illegal passes, but something like that? To hell with it.

Yeah, gently caress that. If she was going slow enough and i had a safe opportunity i'd go for it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I didn't have any opportunities; it's either mostly curvy, or had people coming constantly, or is patrolled by overzealous cops from the rich suburb areas (recently incorporated into the ominously named CENTRAL MARIN POLICE AUTHORITY).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ah, it all makes sense now.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I live in an apartment complex and some of the vehicles in the parking lot scare me. There's a 90's Pontiac Sunbird that's always in front of my building that reeks of gasoline. I saw someone light up a smoke while walking near it and it made my butt pucker, it's been like this for months and it's driven daily. Then there's the minivan with tires so bald the threads are showing and rear end in a top hat ricer kid who's CV joints having been grinding for a month. Like clearly none of us are rich but drat people, either get it fixed or stop driving it! I never thought I'd miss mandatory vehicle safety inspections once a year after moving from VA to MD but the poo poo I've seen on the road boggles the mind.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Krakkles posted:

Honestly, I'm pretty law abiding when it comes to illegal passes, but something like that? To hell with it.

gently caress, I passed the googlemaps car on a double yellow because the rear end in a top hat was doing 45-50 in a loving 70.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

gently caress, I passed the googlemaps car on a double yellow because the rear end in a top hat was doing 45-50 in a loving 70.

You'd think they'd want to make it harder for people to tailgate them the entire time so their exposed dick and middle finger ends up in every Streetview panorama.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InterceptorV8 posted:

I have passed these guys a couple times on I-10 and on some back roads around here because they were going so slow. I wonder if they are told to drive slow as poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have passed these guys a couple times on I-10 and on some back roads around here because they were going so slow. I wonder if they are told to drive slow as poo poo.

Well it certainly allows them to use cheaper equipment for decent photo quality...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I wonder if the wind drag on the cameras cause the roof to buckle at higher speeds.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

InterceptorV8 posted:

I wonder if the wind drag on the cameras cause the roof to buckle at higher speeds.

But it isn't the same speed each time. It is just slower than the speed limit. Through town they did 20 in a 30 and on I-10 they were probably going about 65 or 70.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

InterceptorV8 posted:

Did you check to see if this moment was immortalized online?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Astroman posted:

Did you check to see if this moment was immortalized online?

Yes, yes I did.

:q:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yes, yes I did.

:q:

You're just gonna leave us hanging like that? At least give us a road and state!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

Ah, it all makes sense now.

I guess it's an okay tradeoff for being able to drive out here anytime I like:

No More Crises by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
That out by Stafford Lake? Looks kind of like out between the coast and Occidental, but that's Sonoma county.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

That out by Stafford Lake? Looks kind of like out between the coast and Occidental, but that's Sonoma county.

It's the end of Sir Francis Drake Boulevard in Point Reyes, near the Bull Point trailhead.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just got home from going to the gas station, about a block from my driveway I flashed some ricer shithead with retrofit 12,000K HIDs in his stock headlights with my highbeams. He pulled a u-turn and came ripping up behind me with his highbeams on and followed me down my driveway (which is about 200' long) and started screaming at me about flashing him with my highbeams.

His answer to "you're blinding everyone with your lovely, illegal retrofit HIDs" was "they're not illegal, they're aimed lower than the lights on your car!" and started getting out of his car. I should also note that my neighbor is having a party in their backyard, and at this point there was probably two dozen or more people watching the altercation. I told him to GTFO(ff) my property or I was going to call the cops and if he'd like to take it up with them, given the small crowd assembled next door just witnessed the whole thing. Needless to say he closed his door and dumped his clutch in reverse leaving a nice (single) tire track on my driveway.

The stupidity of ricers never ceases to amaze me. Who the gently caress not only chases someone down for flashing their highbeams, but then proceeds to follow someone onto private property to defend their early-2000s Kia's honor?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

The stupidity of ricers never ceases to amaze me. Who the gently caress not only chases someone down for flashing their highbeams, but then proceeds to follow someone onto private property to defend their early-2000s Kia's honor?

Was it this guy? Maybe he got a new Korean car.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=994095&binId=1.1203428&playlistPageNum=1

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geoj posted:

The same kind of rear end in a top hat who gets out of his truck that is parked in your driveway to pick up his kids from their mother next door. Because apparently they don't have functioning legs?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

The same kinda guy that would pull out a gun a shoot your rear end too. You never know these days and gotta be careful who you start road rage arguments with.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
Bad Intersections?

HAHAHAHA. Seattle engineering laughs in the face of your so-called bad intersections.

Enjoy.

All of those streets are busy during commute hours, busy during University of Washington hours and the one leading up and out in the left corner leads to a suburban family filled neighborhood. So, you have idiot kids, drivers, college kids, boarders, and heavy traffic, all going through "that". And that is the improved version!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This thread needs less bitching about lovely drivers and more of 14 inch's stories

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

Utopian Mind posted:

Uvillage clusterfuck

The number of car accidents at the "T" intersection is amazing. It long ago stopped being tragic and is now just funny.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

opengl128 posted:

This thread needs less bitching about lovely drivers and more of 14 inch's stories

My brother just got promoted to assistant manager at his Brand Name National Chain Lube 'n Garage branch. I'll see if I can pick some stories off of him.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Utopian Mind posted:

Bad Intersections?

HAHAHAHA. Seattle engineering laughs in the face of your so-called bad intersections.

Enjoy.

All of those streets are busy during commute hours, busy during University of Washington hours and the one leading up and out in the left corner leads to a suburban family filled neighborhood. So, you have idiot kids, drivers, college kids, boarders, and heavy traffic, all going through "that". And that is the improved version!

That's still the old version. It looks like this now:

It's a little better but still pretty bad even by Seattle standards. Notably, three of these streets are named Ravenna and the east-west route in the middle changes names three times in the span of three blocks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had some jerkoff blame me for their grille falling off back in 03 because it fell off when I bumped it trying to get to the hood release. I even offered them some 5 minute epoxy to put it back on with :mad:

Fucker came back the next day and whined to the manager, manager said he'd ask me what happened, rear end in a top hat called corporate (because he didn't instantly get what he wanted) who gave us all a proper tongue lashing and bent over double for the dickhead, then gave him a ton of coupons and poo poo and paid for a new grille for him.

If I ever meet that guy again he can give my cock a tongue lashing. Piece of poo poo, I even went out of my way to help you with your hooptie when it fell the gently caress apart because I touched something next to it.

MrChips posted:

The hilarious thing about this statement is that flashy cars attract way more attention from men than from women. After all, how often do you see women pull out their cellphones to take pictures of Ferraris and Lambos (or classic muscle cars, for that matter)?

My largest, slowest, loudest, smelliest, ugliest vehicle has resulted in the most hot women honking and waving. So I think you're right.

I have to say, being seated about 6 feet in the air gave me a great view, too :pervert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno, a lot of the stuff I'm seeing here is insulting people for not knowing how to change a wheel. Why the hell should everyone know that? There's AAA, a million tire shops around the country, and tires hardly ever blow out, at least in my area. A lot of cars don't come with spares and the tools for it now, some cars have run-flats. And even if you know what you're doing, it's a pain in the rear end to do it on the side of the road and requires some muscle.

Passenger car tires take muscle? poo poo, I must be a regular weight lifting champion, because I thought anything 225/75r15 and under was a one finger job. How the hell can anyone carry groceries or children if they can't pick up some dinky rear end car tire/rim or at least the donut spare?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What's so confusing about roundabouts? They keep traffic moving as long as there are no idiots floundering around in there. And the best part... miss your turn? gently caress drive in a circle and try again.

I see you have never been to Massachusetts. I saw someone go the wrong way around a roundabout a while ago and a friend saw an old lady throw her car in reverse and back up around one. :wtc:

rscott posted:

It's me. I'm the lane weaving rear end in a top hat who tailgates you constantly. Mostly because you're doing 61 MPH in the far left lane like an rear end in a top hat. I've tried flashing my lights. I've tried sticking my hand out the window/sunroof and waving at you to move over. Nothing ever works because you are loving oblivious even when you aren't on your phone or loving with your navigation system or telling your kids that you will pull this car over RIGHT THIS INSTANT IF YOU DON'T STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER BILLY I SWEAR TO loving GOD. And then when I finally see an open stretch of highway in the right lane so I can finally get around this fucktard and signal that I'm changing lanes they pick THAT loving INSTANT to decide to move over. Not the god drat mile and a half before that that they were holding up everyone behind them. So now I look like an rear end in a top hat as I'm sawing left and right on the wheel because you can't check your loving mirrors before doing anything at all.

I mean am I the only one who makes a visual circuit of their mirrors and the horizon when I'm driving? I mean I mostly do it so I'm a step ahead of any cops and I can slow down and not get pulled over it but it's pretty helpful for avoiding accidents too.

Same. Lead, follow, I don't give a gently caress, just get the hell out of my way.

I really miss the airhorn (came off a fire truck...) I had on my old cherokee. I should put that on the current daily beater, actually. Until then, riding a rumble strip usually gets through to the dipshits who spend their entire drive doing 60 in a 65 in the left lane oblivious to everything around them.

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

lavaca posted:

That's still the old version. It looks like this now:

It's a little better but still pretty bad even by Seattle standards. Notably, three of these streets are named Ravenna and the east-west route in the middle changes names three times in the span of three blocks.

You're right. I'm ashamed I didn't catch that, I drive that everyday.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to probably redraw propertly lines and condemn a bunch of stuff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

opengl128 posted:

Interesting car came in earlier, beat to hell 4 door civic with BEER $3 a pint painted on the rear window with 2 tapped kegs in the back seat and I can't imagine there's any way at all that could go wrong.