Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I got Rome 2 and man, I don't think I care for it very much. It's buggy (my guys sometimes wouldn't charge when I wanted them, archers simply wouldn't fire, and even though graphics were low and I made sure things wouldn't crawl via the benchmark it stuttered a lot. So it looks like I'm gonna go back to Shogun 2 or maybe even Napoleon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

FOTS has two different types of realm divide. One is where you pick a side and eventually when you gather enough favour with the Emperor/Shogun you get promoted to their 'official' clan. All the clans in that side loyally follow you from that point.

Then there is the option of declaring a Republic, which makes every clan your enemy.

Rudi Starnberg implied that divide is different in Rise.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

As far as I know, realm divide in ROTS is your sister clan turning on you

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RentACop posted:

As far as I know, realm divide in ROTS is your sister clan turning on you

Heh, I had my sister clan turn on me before realm divide. Got pissed off that I owned most of the territories they wanted I think.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Are there any mods for MTW2 that don't mess around with the existing rosters too much but do things like expand the map, add factions, and improve diplomacy? I tried Stainless Steel for a bit and I'm not a fan of how insanely slow everything is and I just found out from my brother (who plays SS almost exclusively) that elite units can take up to 3 turns to train. Basically, I like Stainless Steel a lot but I can't stand how there's ~50 units per faction now and everything taking forever to build.

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
On that note would you guys recommend ROTS in general? Does it do anything different/better than the base game, or is it just a change of pace sort of thing?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Business Gorillas posted:

Are there any mods for MTW2 that don't mess around with the existing rosters too much but do things like expand the map, add factions, and improve diplomacy? I tried Stainless Steel for a bit and I'm not a fan of how insanely slow everything is and I just found out from my brother (who plays SS almost exclusively) that elite units can take up to 3 turns to train. Basically, I like Stainless Steel a lot but I can't stand how there's ~50 units per faction now and everything taking forever to build.

There's a mod called Custom Campaign Mod which doesn't mess with the rosters, lets you play as Timurids, Aztecs, Mongols. It also has a "fantasy" map where the guy just made a new map and stuck a bunch of the current factions on it.

Not sure about any changes to diplomacy though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Stainless Steel with real recruitment turned off and just Lusted AI is pretty much what you want, except for the multi turn units. I'm fairly certain multi turn recruitment was in vanilla as well.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I don't see why everyone says MTW's Stainless Steel's AI is so great. It does a really lovely job on sieges.

The first siege by the AI, basically had them break down the gate, then charge everything through the front gate only to be slaugthered by all my troops packed directly behind the gate.

Second siege was just awful, the ram died, and did all but 1 of the ladders, so the AI decided to basically try and force its entire army to climb that one stupid ladder, i basically sat there reading while on 4x, as the enemy basically climbed one by one to their death.

I never realized how much letting the Shogun 2 AI climb the walls helped.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The AI has literally never been good at sieges. Siege pathfinding has never been better than horrible.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

All of them change it somewhat and add more depth, but you should look into the non SS mods that no one talks about but are still amazing.

Deus Lo Vult (heavily scripted campaign, can get kinda hard)
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?309-Deus-Lo-Vult

Lands to Conquer (can't remember having tried it extensively, Lusted's work of art so it has some degree of quality nontheless)
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?302-Lands-to-Conquer

Pro Deo et Rege (retardedly huge rear end map and area of recruitment areas)
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?437-PRO-DEO-ET-REGE

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The AI has literally never been good at sieges. Siege pathfinding has never been better than horrible.

Yeah, the best challenge is to just let them come to the walls, and limit yourself to defending the city center, or individual streets with non phalanx units. It's just too easy to cheese the AI by abusing chokepoints. Then, against the AI, you force yourself to take the walls, and not just rush everyone through the gates which lets you separate all the units on the walls from the other ones.you can basically steal well garrisoned cities by rushing the flag, and then just delaying the garrison as it comes down from the walls.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I only ever play m2tw with lands to conquer as I think it does the best fixing of the game without adding any bloat. I can't speak highly enough about it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

I tried Stainless Steel for a bit and I'm not a fan of how insanely slow everything is and I just found out from my brother (who plays SS almost exclusively) that elite units can take up to 3 turns to train. Basically, I like Stainless Steel a lot but I can't stand how there's ~50 units per faction now and everything taking forever to build.

I disliked that as well. However, some fiddling with the game files cleared that poo poo right up (as well as changing how often unit pools replenish to 1 turn and increasing the unit size to max for infantry and 120 for cav). Made the game much better and I had more epic battles too :black101:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

stanislaus posted:

On that note would you guys recommend ROTS in general? Does it do anything different/better than the base game, or is it just a change of pace sort of thing?

Aside from a more limited roster (which isnt shogun 2's strength to begin with) it improves on vanilla in nearly every way, so yeah it's worth getting. CA has always made really good expansions.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ROTS is great fun. Having monks rampage over hostile lands inspiring rebellions so you can walk your agents in and simply buy the regions from the newly installed rebels is delicious. It's different from S2 in that it's focused way more heavily on negotiation and moves away from combat. FOTS is the pinnacle of the series, but ROTS is a really fun expansion in its own right.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there a suggestion for a newbie faction for a stainless steel campaign. I tried Byzatine (TWCenter recommended this one), except i am completely overwhelmed with all the provinces i start off with.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

UberJumper posted:

Is there a suggestion for a newbie faction for a stainless steel campaign. I tried Byzatine (TWCenter recommended this one), except i am completely overwhelmed with all the provinces i start off with.

If you're experienced with M2TW then you should be good to go with pretty much any faction in stainless steel. If you don't want to play a huge faction, then play a smaller one like an Italian state, or Denmark/Norway or Scotland or England or something. The Byzantine Empire is probably the biggest faction on the map in stainless steel, other than like the HRE or the egyptians or whatever.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
An Arab faction, because they have the best music. I`m doing Egypt right now, but they get lovely late game units. I kind of wish I did the Khwarezmian empire; they get a good starting location, good units throughout, and only really have to worry about the Mongols which provides some nice mid game spice anyways.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Someguy posted:

An Arab faction, because they have the best music. I`m doing Egypt right now, but they get lovely late game units. I kind of wish I did the Khwarezmian empire; they get a good starting location, good units throughout, and only really have to worry about the Mongols which provides some nice mid game spice anyways.

The Khwarezmians would probably be pretty fun for someone who enjoys a challenge like the Mongols, I guess. In literally every campaign of SS I've run, the K empire gets totally and utterly steamrolled by the Mongols.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

If you want the exact opposite of being overwhelmed by provinces, I believe Portugal in the early era campaign starts with one province.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Started a new game as Venice, became friends with HRE, and some of the other italian states. Clean up the italian rebels, and capture a few more cities.

Now what? I can't really attack anyone around me, since everyone seems to be allied with the HRE. Fine so i will go to the south and go after those arabs. Except next turn Byzantine declares war on me, for absolutely no reason. I move my armies to fight them even though they have 6x the amount of troops that i have.

Then at the same time i cannot recruit troops fast enough, i have upgraded recruitment buildings, and i can only recruit 6 units a turn. Yet Byzantine has 4 doomstacks.

Is there a mod for stainless steel that makes recruitment more like Shogun 2?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Isn't unit recruitment capped in Shogun 2 as well?

If you're being attacked by the hungry AI, they see you as weak. Try to build up a standing army as a deterrent.

You can always attack Milan or Sicily if you want. Alliances aren't automatic like in Shogun, so attacking an ally of an ally will only break the alliance. The HRE isn't even that scary.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Isn't unit recruitment capped in Shogun 2 as well?

If you're being attacked by the hungry AI, they see you as weak. Try to build up a standing army as a deterrent.

You can always attack Milan or Sicily if you want. Alliances aren't automatic like in Shogun, so attacking an ally of an ally will only break the alliance. The HRE isn't even that scary.

Every single turn so far i have been building units as they become available. I just cannot build enough troops fast enough.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I don't believe this.

I installed Shogun 2, which as you know is thirty gigs. This is also the monthly cap we have in my country.

There was a problem. Right at the start. I tried every bit of advice on the steam forums and most other areas, to no avail. So I spend two months downloading this thing and it turns out to have an issue:

It won't do anything after the splash screen. It just dies.

What the gently caress do I do?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Do you have either Recruitment mods turned on, and how many cities do you have?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Do you have either Recruitment mods turned on, and how many cities do you have?

I have 5, and i am pretty sure i disabled Real Recruitment.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
EDIT: Aww man WarpedNaba, that sucks! :( I used to run a wireless 20gb/month connection myself on which I'd be lucky to break 180 kb/s on a steam download, hope you find a fix mate!

Thanks in part to goon advice and my own discoveries (unchecking the "lock group formations" button) I'm well into what I think is a "long" campaign as the Date in Shogun 2! I'm just about to hit realm divide, I've only got two minor vassals in the Mogami and Takeda (1 province each). I also have a very friendly ally in the Hojo who are happily distracting/getting murdered by the rampant Hattori in the south whilst I raid them from the north.

It kind of sucks how realm divide will mess up my diplomacy, but on the other hand these chumps are in the way of my expansion and countering constant peace offers from those Ikko Ikko psychos with demands for huge amounts of $$$ is pretty funny. Plus I get to destroy and humiliate Takeda all over again which is fine by me! :black101:

Basically I love this game I guess! Units climbing the walls makes sieges so much less painful/reliant on siege weapons than I remember in Rome 1, even if there's a lot more of them.

Frankly fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 12, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't believe this.

I installed Shogun 2, which as you know is thirty gigs. This is also the monthly cap we have in my country.

There was a problem. Right at the start. I tried every bit of advice on the steam forums and most other areas, to no avail. So I spend two months downloading this thing and it turns out to have an issue:

It won't do anything after the splash screen. It just dies.

What the gently caress do I do?

Does it crash to desktop? Or just hang there after the splash screen?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You have tried just leaving it a good while, right? Shogun 2 takes loving ages to load and sits on that splash screen for what feels like forever.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

You have tried just leaving it a good while, right? Shogun 2 takes loving ages to load and sits on that splash screen for what feels like forever.

I think it will be pretty funny if this ends up explaining it. I could totally see someone trying to load it for the first time, getting nothing for like 45 seconds, and then killing the process thinking the game is hung up. I'm not sure what's the longest the load could take, but I imagine if your computer barely makes spec it could like three minutes.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah and I think the first time always takes even longer. For me it feels like 5 minutes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I thought that at first. Nope, just crashes to desktop, doesn't even do me the kindness of saying what the error was.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Go through your data folder and delete/rename any patch*.pack files.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Stainless Steel

Question: Why did my treasury just drop from 4000+ gold to -1000 in one turn? My army maintenance is nowhere near this amount, and the treasury summary doesn't indicate where the money went to.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

Stainless Steel

Question: Why did my treasury just drop from 4000+ gold to -1000 in one turn? My army maintenance is nowhere near this amount, and the treasury summary doesn't indicate where the money went to.

Are you using that Grim Reality thing? SS has some army upkeep that goes up when you have them in the field, and that Grim reality submod makes this go through the roof.

Did you click on any of the events that cost money? There are periodic things that pop up like minstrels that cost 1000 but buff your princesses, and there is 5000 gold "fight pirates" event as well. If you were hurridly clicking through your notifications that could be it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Does Total War generally bottleneck at Memory or Graphics card? I've got 4GB of memory and a pretty beefy graphics card, so I'm trying to figure out where my upgrade money should be spent.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Does Total War generally bottleneck at Memory or Graphics card? I've got 4GB of memory and a pretty beefy graphics card, so I'm trying to figure out where my upgrade money should be spent.

CPU usually. Though TW isn't really that taxing. If you want more shineys, then a better graphics card will obviously help, but most of the engine problems are down to lovely optimisation. My average system runs Shogun 2 flawlessly maxed out while Rome 2 runs like rear end.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 12, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Did you click on any of the events that cost money? There are periodic things that pop up like minstrels that cost 1000 but buff your princesses, and there is 5000 gold "fight pirates" event as well. If you were hurridly clicking through your notifications that could be it.

No.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Are you using that Grim Reality thing?

Yes.

quote:

SS has some army upkeep that goes up when you have them in the field, and that Grim reality submod makes this go through the roof.

That's probably it. Man, that level of upkeep is really harsh. Do people who play Stainless Steel usually turn the Grim Reality sub-mod on or off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Plavski posted:

CPU usually. Though TW isn't really that taxing. If you want more shineys, then a better graphics card will obviously help, but most of the engine problems are down to lovely optimisation. My average system runs Shogun 2 flawlessly maxed out while Rome 2 runs like rear end.

Hmm. I'll keep an eye on my CPU the next time I load up Shogun 2.