Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The amazing part is that her department has extremely small turnover. I don't get it, I'd shoot myself if she was my boss. She does buy them a lot of pizza and treats, so she isn't completely evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

GreenNight posted:

The amazing part is that her department has extremely small turnover. I don't get it, I'd shoot myself if she was my boss. She does buy them a lot of pizza and treats, so she isn't completely evil.

I dunno. That sounds incredibly evil...

:drac: Here, have this greasy pizza. All you can eat! Soda too! Load up!
:munch:
~45 minutes later~
:ohdear: I gotta poop. Real bad.
:drac: Mwahahahahahahaha

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I didn't mention the best part. Her husband is one of her employees. I always see the guy walking around chatting with people.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Let's talk about cabling again. MOM WHAT'S A PATCH PANEL?

1. You can see one of our awesome Synology + drive dock backup systems
2. What? Store a bunch of PC's in the server room? Okay!
3. Why does HP use such a huge loving box to put a 19" monitor in?
3. I know we have a KVM but it's easier to just have a buncha keyboards on the desk. Really.
4. What, this pile of old PC's still running XP and even 2K? WE NEED EM

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Those are some big monitor boxes. I hope they are storing other stuff and not CRT's. Also those HP desktops on the floor can definitely run Win7 if you wished to upgrade...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

Let's talk about cabling again. MOM WHAT'S A PATCH PANEL?

1. You can see one of our awesome Synology + drive dock backup systems
2. What? Store a bunch of PC's in the server room? Okay!
3. I know we have a KVM but it's easier to just have a buncha keyboards on the desk. Really.
4. What, this pile of old PC's still running XP and even 2K? WE NEED EM

:colbert: You should really create a cluster with those spare computers...

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Bob Morales posted:

What, this pile of old PC's still running XP and even 2K? WE NEED EM

This is my favorite part about server rooms. No matter where you go there is always some lovely server somewhere running some ancient system that you can't shut down because it breaks ~something~. Who knows what that something might be? But you'd better not touch it.

We had one of those a few years ago in a tiny server room that was supposed to be site-specific hardware only. Turned out we had production ETL data feeds running on an old rear end Rackable Systems server that nobody knew about. And it happened to die when I was working in that building on a Saturday. And before you ask, no I didn't break it. But since I was on site I got tasked with fixing it. The first thing I did when it came up was dump the disk to the NAS and then I spent a week trying to get the application running on a new VM running in one of our production data centers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm so glad I moved to operations and don't do office IT anymore. That photo is giving me so many flashbacks, from the awful cabling to the drive dock backup.

I can't knock storing spare equipment in the server room, though; it's usually the only lockable location that only IT has access to. Unless the point is that they're ancient poo poo that should just go in the dumpster, in which case yeah that's flashback #3 for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Those are some big monitor boxes. I hope they are storing other stuff and not CRT's. Also those HP desktops on the floor can definitely run Win7 if you wished to upgrade...

They mostly run some lovely tarrif, tax, or rating software developed by Joe Bumfuck from 1996-2010. So they get RDP'd into once a month by someone. One is some box that runs WordPerfect 5.1 with some goofy database connector and then is plugged into some ancient fax box.

There is a Sony tower from Best Buy in there as well.

Our VMware cluster is running on hardware from 2006. 1TB SAN, yay.

I need to take a picture of the upstairs where we have a loving museum of Pentium machines stored. Yellow Gateway boxes as far as the eye can see. Might need 'em one day!

There are 4 fire safes on the ground. NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY TAPES OR DRIVES IN THEM

There's a coat rack and a giant 1980's projector screen in the corner of the room. Good place to store it, by the cables that the whole company runs on!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I can't knock storing spare equipment in the server room, though; it's usually the only lockable location that only IT has access to. Unless the point is that they're ancient poo poo that should just go in the dumpster, in which case yeah that's flashback #3 for me.

We have two fairly large, lockable storerooms. One is full of stuff like old Xeon servers, P3 desktops, piles of broken laptops, rubbermaid bins of serial cables....

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Until about 2 years ago our Avaya CMS for a 800+ seat call center environment that did major revenue was running on a Sunblade 150 workstation. We finally upgraded to 16.x a while back.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We have two fairly large, lockable storerooms. One is full of stuff like old Xeon servers, P3 desktops, piles of broken laptops, rubbermaid bins of serial cables....

Yeah that sounds familiar. Last place I worked had tubs of poo poo dating back to the start of the company in the late 90's, complete with floppy disks, IDE cables, null modem cables, dead 73GB SCSI drives...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's been my personal mission around here to purge old poo poo whenever I get the chance. There was an entire bin full of 2ft RJ11 cables because for awhile in the 90s everything came with a RJ11 cable whether or not it actually had a telephone jack. Also, those cables are the most prodigious breeders known to man. Why do we need these? "Oh, they're great for patching in phone jacks in the back room." I look at the patch panel and note that every single jack has already been patched. Somehow I doubt we're adding 150 phones here very soon. Keep 5 and pitch the rest.

The same went for a whole bin full of parallel cables. There's not one piece of equipment in the office that still uses a parallel connection, let's get rid of this poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I might have mentioned this before, but we have a manager here who makes their users schedule bathroom breaks.

I wonder how until someone shits themselves.

:words: Oh, thanks for calling Bob! Sure let me go ahead reset your passwor -OHHHURRRShit PFFT!

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
"I'd love to meet and discuss the new server but I've got a marathon poo poo session scheduled in for then. Maybe we could share a stall?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bob Morales posted:

It's not just monitors either. I just dropped off a 3.5" SAS drive at our local logistics center that comes in a box long enough to fit a full-size 104 key keyboard and tall/wide enough to pack optical drives in two across by three high. The box was pretty much filled with 90% foam and 10% drive.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Better safe than sorry?

Though I get all sorts of things shipped to me in an absurd manner. I ordered curtains and the box couldn't have been more than 6 x 4 inches, packed in a box with peanuts at least twice/three sizes as big. They won't break!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Somehow apple manages to fill 90% of its packages without ill effects, so at this points it's pretty much complacency.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

Small shops

Small shops tend to be understaffed, overworked and not very good for upward mobility. The exception would be startups, where getting in on the ground floor has the potential to lead to very lucrative mobility and money. Lone wolfs are more common in small shops where there is no money to pay the salary for teams of peers.

Enterprise

Typically in enterprise environments it will be silo’d job roles, where everyone does a specific task, rarely moving out of their comfort zone. Things move slower as red tape to approve work is thick, but not as bad as government. Work flow could go either quickly or slowly depending on the company and you will find yourself more involved in working as a group. Meetings for changes are common in enterprises, and sometimes meetings to discuss the meeting discussing changes. Change management is prevalent in enterprise, so that accountability can be recorded for auditing. In enterprise IT you're seen as a cost center that doesn't provide anything, profit wise, to the company - your budget will be awful so your technology is typically dated back several years. Enterprise is great for "lifers", those of us who just want to work their 9 - 5, collect a paycheck and go home.

Service Provider

Service providers are vast, often complex environments. These jobs are even more silo’d than the enterprise environment and you will find getting into one too early may pigeon-hole your career. I would only recommend service provider jobs when you are in a position to leverage your experience for great monetary gains or there are limited alternatives in your area. Starting out in a service provider call center and working your way up seems easily done as long as you have the raw talent and the desire to move ahead. Don’t be surprised if you don’t end up where you meant to go in the end due to being sidelined into a job role that was needing to be filled.
I have worked for all three in the past 6 years. I can promise you, if you like to work (like really like IT and don't mind not being able to gently caress around at work much), smaller business is great. The 500 employee level is where you actually get some good budget and are still able to touch everything you want. I am busy all day every day, and some nights, but I love my job, love what I do, and am getting great experience while being reasonably well compensated.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

evil_bunnY posted:

Somehow apple manages to fill 90% of its packages without ill effects, so at this points it's pretty much complacency.

Yes, but Apple packaging is annoying to open en masse.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

psydude posted:

Yes, but Apple packaging is annoying to open en masse.

Really? What are you opening from Apple that is not 1.) as easy to open as anything else you'd typically receive 2.) with small outer boxes to get rid of and 3.) not well thought out from a design perspective (granted, I don't want to pay for that part - but really, it's nice stuff)?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm still so unused to proper servers and proper support contracts that when I had to go replace a failed drive in a RAID on a Dell server, I was spellbound and ecstatic by the fact that Dell shipped it already in the caddy and I wouldn't have to deal with any screws.

Also, scope of support is the best loving thing ever. Just, just the best.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Yeah now all you have left to do is answer endless calls from Dell asking when you're sending the failed drive back, even though you've already done so.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

theperminator posted:

Yeah now all you have left to do is answer endless calls from Dell asking when you're sending the failed drive back, even though you've already done so.

Nope, that's on the account manager, not me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

theperminator posted:

I think you mean endless phone surveys asking you to rate the quality of service on your recent interaction with Dell's support team.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

I think you mean endless phone surveys asking you to rate the quality of service on your recent interaction with Dell's support team.
I always ask IBM to email me. They say they can't email me, and I impolitely hang up the phone and email my CSR to complain.

One day, in 2025, I'll get an answer that will make me smile. Maybe.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Docjowles posted:

Then get billed for the drive.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
A while back I gave a rather scathing reply to one of the surveys I got after a closed ticket from another team (probably the team that takes care of all the Cerner poo poo). My boss called me in to his office and said that they complained that I gave them such a bad review.

Is that not what it's for? They asked for my opinion, I gave it (Their service was poor, it's been declining for quite some time and it's pretty much what everyone here at this facility has come to expect, which is why they're always coming to us instead of going through the proper channels). If they don't want to hear how lovely they're performing, why are they asking me to rate their service and write a brief explanation?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
That stuff is almost always tied to bonuses, so you're probably on some hit list now FYI

citywok
Sep 8, 2003
Born To Surf

Tab8715 posted:

On the same subject - what's the biggest raise or salary jump anyone has received?

20k in feb (told them I was job hunting), then job hop in june for another 25.
Not a bad year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Geoj posted:

It's not just monitors either. I just dropped off a 3.5" SAS drive at our local logistics center that comes in a box long enough to fit a full-size 104 key keyboard and tall/wide enough to pack optical drives in two across by three high. The box was pretty much filled with 90% foam and 10% drive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/21/more_hp_packaging/

Wasn't there some picture going around where HP shipped a guy like 50 screws, each individually wrapped and put in it's own 10" box?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Walter_Sobchak posted:

A challenger appears:

Why yes, that is our PBX on the bottom left. What's that, why isn't it in the freestanding rack (singular) located just out of frame? I couldn't even tell you.

As an added bonus: There's now an Ethernet cable running from that mess to the rack at waist height. Even though there are existing cables that go up into the ceiling, across, and down. So if you want to get behind that rack, hope you can step high :haw:

Not to derail again, but it's even better now:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wish my server room was that big.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did those chairs get raged on or what, they are missing arms and poo poo.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Got notified the other day that we'll be standing up some more VM's to replace our remotely managed physical legacy systems and adding another 10,000 users to our system (which is a small blip, honestly). The good news is that I'll be getting a crack at building these VM's from scratch, which means that I will finally be able to add VMware experience to my list of skills on my resume (I've been using it at home, but I like to have official confirmation if anyone ever calls for references). There's also talk at work about requiring everyone to have MCSA/MCSE as part of the new contract, and I am praying that it goes through - I would love to have a $15-20k raise. Other than that it's been pretty quiet at work, although that might change if we go to war against Syria.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Walter_Sobchak posted:

Not to derail again, but it's even better now:

Two access points next to each other in the server room?

What?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Motronic posted:

Really? What are you opening from Apple that is not 1.) as easy to open as anything else you'd typically receive 2.) with small outer boxes to get rid of and 3.) not well thought out from a design perspective (granted, I don't want to pay for that part - but really, it's nice stuff)?

You're missing the point. When I'm unboxing 50 PowerBooks I don't care about cute compartmentalized boxes for peripherals. I want to yank it out of the box, throw the styrofoam packing off, and open it up.

I haven't been a desktop guy for a while, but back when I was setting up entire labs of PowerMac G5s it was incredibly annoying to have to unbox the rest of the poo poo, when most HPs and Dells you just upend the box and dump out everything useful.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

psydude posted:

You're missing the point. When I'm unboxing 50 PowerBooks I don't care about cute compartmentalized boxes for peripherals. I want to yank it out of the box, throw the styrofoam packing off, and open it up.

I haven't been a desktop guy for a while, but back when I was setting up entire labs of PowerMac G5s it was incredibly annoying to have to unbox the rest of the poo poo, when most HPs and Dells you just upend the box and dump out everything useful.

If you are talking about PowerBooks and G5 packaging.....welp, I'm talking about things made in....let's say the last decade or so. You open the box, take off the top styrofoam and remove the machine. The peripherals are in another box across the foam, just like HP and Dell. The difference is that there are no twist ties holding cables together. They are all clear plastic sleeves with pull tabs on them that come right off. So.......if what you are complaining about it valid (I can't even remember what that packaging looked like) it's ancient history.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Caged posted:

What?

It's a new standard, 2x2^2 MIMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Bob Morales posted:

Did those chairs get raged on or what, they are missing arms and poo poo.

I have no idea how they got like that.

Caged posted:

What?

One is for our internal wifi, the other is for the "guest" wifi (WPA2, with a password that's EXTREMELY similar to the password for the internal wifi)

• Locked thread