Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That TU-128 is silly. With the combat doctrine of the early 60s I'm half surprised they didn't propose putting rotary launchers of AIM-7s and an AWACS radar on a B-52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Slo-Tek posted:

Sup Gripfans? This will probably be the 3rd time I post this image, but:

Maybe they won't need to redo their banner afterall?

Boeing And Saab To Propose Gripen For T-X
http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/awx_09_11_2013_p0-615489.xml

Boeing wants to sell 2-seat Gripens as advanced jet trainers in the US?

Seems kinda crazy, for a number of reasons. Think they are serious about this? Would having an installed base of Gripens in the US make it easier for Saab to sell some to Canada? How is reselling Gripens better than T-38-ifying an F-18? (or tooling up for a T-38NG)

Is the Gripen ready for some Football?

I'd imagine it's because you get a fighter aircraft that handles like a fighter aircraft for pennies on the dollar of what the pilots will likely be flying (F-35). A "T/F-18" would have two engines, one engine is perceived to be more fuel efficient, which is good for a trainer, and is akin to the F-35's layout. I can see a Gripen being a good aggressor for Top Gun/Red Flag and all that stuff, too. And could open the door for a Boeing/SAAB joint aircraft in the future when/if the F-35 proves to be a dud.

Basically, Boeing wants to buy SAAB, just like it bought all the other American jet fighter companies.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

hobbesmaster posted:

That TU-128 is silly. With the combat doctrine of the early 60s I'm half surprised they didn't propose putting rotary launchers of AIM-7s and an AWACS radar on a B-52.

Well, the Tu-128 was designed with very important and specific role in mind; the Russians knew they couldn't afford to build a network of radars and interceptor bases like we/the Americans did, so they had to basically bring the radar with the interceptor.

Slo-Tek posted:

Seems kinda crazy, for a number of reasons. Think they are serious about this? Would having an installed base of Gripens in the US make it easier for Saab to sell some to Canada? How is reselling Gripens better than T-38-ifying an F-18? (or tooling up for a T-38NG)

Nope. The Canadian government, true to form regardless of who's in power, is in full-on "kick the can down the road so it's the next guy's problem" mode right now. In all honesty, while I've said that the Rafale would be the best aircraft for Canada, I'm now of the opinion that the Advanced Super Hornet is the best suited aircraft for our needs, though I imagine with those conformal tanks that it's a slow aircraft made even slower.

Bugsmasher posted:

Are you talking about Beddoe or Morgan?

I met both quite a few times when flying out of the SE side of YYC in my training and instructing days.

Well you probably had an idea who it is already if that's the case, but it's Morgan. He might be a hard-rear end and a perfectionist, but I've got nothing but respect for the guy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am all for Gripens to be flown in the USAF. They're awesome.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Daily Kos airplane stuff

Well, I didn't expect to see something like that at KOS. That's really cool.

Christ almighty, that aircraft is sexy.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Those Daily Kos entries are awesome. Here's almost an hour of nice Tu-22 footage including what appears to be some kind of mustering out ceremony for the last crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIvi609tV-4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So whats the story of why they called it backfire?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Preoptopus posted:

So whats the story of why they called it backfire?

B is for Bomber, and two syllables means it is a jet, one syllable means prop. So, the TU-4 is a Bull, the TU-95 is a Bear. Badger, Bison, Backfire, Blackjack are all jet bombers. And they sound enough different that you can tell them apart over bad radio. F is for fighter, hence the jet Fresco, Fagot, Fishbed (the lend lease P-63 King Cobras were "Fred"). C is for Cargo, AN-2 Colt, Cub, Cart, the AN-225 is a Cossack, the AN-124 is a Condor. H is helicopters, like the Hind, Hip, Homer, Hokum.

A is for Air to air missile, Adder, Atoll.
S is surface to surface missile, Scud, Sunburn

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 12, 2013

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
drat a lot more boring than I expected, however still very informative. I had no idea and its so simple.
Thanks.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
So my saturday was pretty awesome, how was yours

Bonus shot of the infamous 777 BBQ grill

I've got some more pics if anyone wants up close/interior of the 787

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would love to see the overhead panel in its entirety if you've got it

Also want dat grill.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

I discovered over at Dailykos (of all places)

Fantastic articles, I'm plowing through all of them!

What's wrong Dailykos though? I'm not particularly familiar with the site but the comments on some of the stuff that former BUFF driver posted are really good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Koesj posted:

Fantastic articles, I'm plowing through all of them!

What's wrong Dailykos though? I'm not particularly familiar with the site but the comments on some of the stuff that former BUFF driver posted are really good.

It's an odd place for such articles to turn up I suppose.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's an odd place for such articles to turn up I suppose.

It's like turning on Rush Limbaugh, and hearing about how amazing John Kerry's handling of Syria has been.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Didn't leave the office until nearly 9 thanks to the cache of articles there.

Even things as banal as airliner pressurization and A/C becomes fascinating when you really study it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/06/1213853/-How-Airliners-Work-Pressurization

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Butt Reactor posted:

Post them when you get a moment, I'm not allowed to take pictures here!

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Butt Reactor posted:

Why is the grill infamous? Did buying it lead to everyone losing their pensions?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

A sight to make Vikingskull weep:

And one to make maintainers rejoice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VOR LOC posted:

Why is the grill infamous? Did buying it lead to everyone losing their pensions?

probably because of

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Linedance posted:

probably because of

That's a 787.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Speaking of aviation themed bbq's, has anyone posted the North Cariboo one yet?

Check out the grill detail:

Speakers mounted in the engines, it's the navy variant as the wings fold up for transport. ;)

It can be seen at events all around Alberta usually, they even came down to my area in Calgary that got flooded back in June to cook up some burgers for all of us.

Word is that is cost 6 figures (CAD).

Bugsmasher fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 12, 2013

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Finally, a functional BD-10

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Want to sear that logo into a steak.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Any comments on who's fault this was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcN-0PikEU

From a purely uneducated standpoint, I'd say the pilot of the biplane is at fault. Is it even legal to fly that low in a populated area? Granted it's over an airfield, but jeez...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

According to the NTSB, the model aircraft pilot's fault - he was apparently operating in an area specifically off-limits to R/C aircraft at that event, and had not been in contact with the coordinator for clearance to fly.

The only reason the biplane was that low is because he was attempting to land on that runway and did a go-around instead.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chinatown posted:

I want to sear that logo into ALL steaks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Chinatown posted:

I can confirm that a jet-fighter steak does indeed taste way better than a normal steak.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

IOwnCalculus posted:

According to the NTSB, the model aircraft pilot's fault - he was apparently operating in an area specifically off-limits to R/C aircraft at that event, and had not been in contact with the coordinator for clearance to fly.

The only reason the biplane was that low is because he was attempting to land on that runway and did a go-around instead.

That RC driver better count his lucky stars that the bi-plane only suffered "substantial damage" instead of finding someone's back porch. Jeez Louise.

To segue though, if I wanted to launch a rocket, what is the best way of going about getting the clearances/okays/ figuring out where I can safely launch without shooting down RJs on approach to CAK?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

To segue though, if I wanted to launch a rocket, what is the best way of going about getting the clearances/okays/ figuring out where I can safely launch without shooting down RJs on approach to CAK?

The general rule of thumb (when I was into the hobby) was 'anywhere more than 5 miles from an airport is ok', barring local ordinances of course.

Unless you're using the big motors, you're simply not going to get high enough with enough energy to do anything to planes elsewhere. And if you're doing high power rocketry, you probably know the FAA regs for them, and are out at black rock or something.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So I went to Long Beach Airport today, hoping to get a look at the last C-17 delivered to the USAF. I got caught in the morning rush hour and missed it (didn't get the memo that it would be leaving early anyway) but while I was there this guy did a missed approach:

I'm 95% certain that this inoffensive Dornier turboprop actually flies for the Air Force Special Operations Command. There are people way more familiar with the Air Force than I am, though...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

StandardVC10 posted:

So I went to Long Beach Airport today, hoping to get a look at the last C-17 delivered to the USAF. I got caught in the morning rush hour and missed it (didn't get the memo that it would be leaving early anyway) but while I was there this guy did a missed approach:

I'm 95% certain that this inoffensive Dornier turboprop actually flies for the Air Force Special Operations Command. There are people way more familiar with the Air Force than I am, though...

That looks like an AF/military style serial on the tail, but I couldn't tell you what unit it belongs to. Quick trip to Wikipedia suggests it is the C-146 which is exclusively used by the 524th SOS (5 airframes in inventory). But, you know, Wikipedia. All I can tell you is, best to my recollection, when I was at Ft. Walton Beach some 5 years ago that the VIPs in and out of Hurlburt/Eglin tended to use the C-21 (Learjet 35). That, of course, was 5 years ago.

e: 524th SOS is under the 27th SOW out of Cannon AFB, NM.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

YF19pilot posted:

That looks like an AF/military style serial on the tail, but I couldn't tell you what unit it belongs to. Quick trip to Wikipedia suggests it is the C-146 which is exclusively used by the 524th SOS (5 airframes in inventory). But, you know, Wikipedia. All I can tell you is, best to my recollection, when I was at Ft. Walton Beach some 5 years ago that the VIPs in and out of Hurlburt/Eglin tended to use the C-21 (Learjet 35). That, of course, was 5 years ago.

e: 524th SOS is under the 27th SOW out of Cannon AFB, NM.

That's all in keeping with what I found when I looked it up, though the number might not be five anymore- some of them have 2012 serials, it looks like, so they must be pretty recent additions. Although, sometimes the serials are just made up to screw with people like me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

YF19pilot posted:

SybilVimes posted:

The general rule of thumb (when I was into the hobby) was 'anywhere more than 5 miles from an airport is ok', barring local ordinances of course.

Unless you're using the big motors, you're simply not going to get high enough with enough energy to do anything to planes elsewhere. And if you're doing high power rocketry, you probably know the FAA regs for them, and are out at black rock or something.

To go in to more detail, check out FAR 101, specifically subpart C.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.3.15&idno=14

According to this thread anything up to G class is safe to the propellant limits, H class is where some motors will kick you out of "model rocket" and in to "high-power rocket" where you need to notify the FAA.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

McDeth posted:

Any comments on who's fault this was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcN-0PikEU

From a purely uneducated standpoint, I'd say the pilot of the biplane is at fault. Is it even legal to fly that low in a populated area? Granted it's over an airfield, but jeez...

As someone who is an avid model pilot, and also a professional pilot who has had near misses with UAVs multiple times, I will always blame the model pilot. That poo poo is scary.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
This thread needs more French.

Our last baby, the Rafale

Our bread and butter, the Mirage 2000D

And finally the Patrouille de France, when you really want to feel patriotic (and because Alpha jets are awesome).

I'm happy these birds are being used and not just political posturing. Might be seeing them used more in the near future (Syria...).

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
On a related note: http://www.airbus.com/newsevents/news-events-single/detail/airbus-militarys-initial-a400m-is-delivered-to-the-french-air-force/

Seems the a400m is finally in service!

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Barnsy posted:

This thread needs more French.

Our last baby, the Rafale

Potentially interesting news about that. The Brazilians are potentially threatening to walk away from the 4B Superhornet deal over the NSA spy stuff, with the Rafale being the also-ran, and the French having the "We didn't spy on you to submit our bid" angle to work.

It is way early to say, but I'd love to see the Sao Paulo with Rafales and A-4's on the deck.

http://www.ibtimes.com/boeing-might-lose-4b-brazil-deal-f-18-jets-after-nsa-surveillance-scandal-analysts-say-politics-wont

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
That'd be great news, the Rafale hasn't had much luck in other markets. I'm thinking its recent successful track record has helped it some.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Barnsy posted:

That'd be great news, the Rafale hasn't had much luck in other markets. I'm thinking its recent successful track record has helped it some.

If the Indian deal ever leads to a full production run, and all Gulf states looking for a new fighter buy into it too, then the number of exported Rafales might very well be bigger than domestically used ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Solkanar512 posted:

Post them when you get a moment, I'm not allowed to take pictures here!

Well alrighty then (I don't really have much to add)

That's a lot of pressure.

I seriously think the aft galley is bigger than the kitchen in my place

(BusinessFirst?)

Ah, so now I know where the crew sleeps if they screw up my drink order...

sexy rear end shot

sellouts posted:

I would love to see the overhead panel in its entirety if you've got it

Also want dat grill.

There's a pretty classy shot of me in the flight deck toasting with a martini, but there's no way in hell I'm putting that up here...