Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

I love all of the work in it, it's very inspiring. I tried using the tree exercise as well, it's definitely better than the trees I was making.
6 colors

I think I'll try my hand at making a little animation next. Keep up the awesome work in here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So Supajackie on Tumblr had a fun little idea. I'll just quote him 'cos it's easier.

quote:

I thought that the idea of giving a bunch of artists a bland, basic, “bad” piece and having them each take it and fix it up and give it their own spin and style is just SO COOL!

So gently caress it, why not get everyone here to give it a go? We've got a load of different artists in the thread who are all at different levels, so it'll be good practice for some and a chance to show off for others.

quote:

There aren’t too many rules! You can add more tiles, take away tiles, rearrange them! Whatever you want! Just as long as the final product resembles the base in some way and you stay within the current tile size, 16x16 for the tiles, and 16x24(or smaller) for the player!

Here's how my attempt worked out.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

That's such a coincidence. My boyfriend linked me to an article that ended in a similar exercise (different starting tiles but the same idea). I haven't had a chance to try it out but I might try it on your example for thread cohesion.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Heyyy, we doin' trees now? I made a couple of those a while back -

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I'm really digging those rocks, McKilligan. Nice autumnal palettes too.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Internet Janitor posted:

I'm really digging those rocks, McKilligan. Nice autumnal palettes too.

Thanks! I never ended up using them for anything - they're still sitting on my hard drive waiting for me to figure out what to do with them. They do make for some nice props though. I think I posted these pics a while ago, but what the hell -

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 11, 2013

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
These feel so Amiga! Is this in development?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Scut posted:

These feel so Amiga! Is this in development?

Actually, Cannon Fodder was a big inspiration when I made those - it's nothing that's in developement, sadly. It was actually going to be a sequel to World War Goon, a CYOA thread I made in GBS a few years ago. I kinda got ahead of myself and made all of these sprites and resources, then couldn't think of a way to make it an interesting thread participation-based game. I've still got a few ideas floating around, so I might revisit it at some point, but I've got a few other projects taking up my free time now.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
CYOA would be really cool because the players would only have the limited view on which to base their moves. "Let's ford that river! Yeah!" *YOU ENCOUNTER A MACHINEGUN NEST ON THE OPPOSITE BANK*

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

McKilligan posted:

Actually, Cannon Fodder was a big inspiration when I made those - it's nothing that's in developement, sadly. It was actually going to be a sequel to World War Goon, a CYOA thread I made in GBS a few years ago. I kinda got ahead of myself and made all of these sprites and resources, then couldn't think of a way to make it an interesting thread participation-based game. I've still got a few ideas floating around, so I might revisit it at some point, but I've got a few other projects taking up my free time now.

I'm almost tempted to jump in and say "let's make a video game!" Love the contrast between the fairly gritty world and corpses, but the bright and cartoon-y characters.

Foran
Apr 19, 2008

Garry's Mod is an Art

McKilligan posted:

Please god revisit World War Goon. I participated in it as a clown and it was great. I didn't make it to the end but it was fun. Also, those sprites look wonderful.

E: Suppose I should share some of the stuff I've been working on for a project in allegro.

Foran fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 12, 2013

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

McKilligan posted:

Thanks! I never ended up using them for anything - they're still sitting on my hard drive waiting for me to figure out what to do with them. They do make for some nice props though. I think I posted these pics a while ago, but what the hell -

Lovely work there. Looks ready for gameplay. If you have a portfolio put those in it.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I haven't pixelled anything for years, but since everyone else was making trees I felt like joining in. Not quite happy with the bottom-right side of the leaves, but it seems alright to me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

This is kinda big... I dunno I just wanted to draw a big, fat birdman today. So I did. :v:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shoehead posted:

This is kinda big... I dunno I just wanted to draw a big, fat birdman today. So I did. :v:

This guy looks like he should sell useless items to the player for exorbitant prices.

E: I like him. Especially the puffed cheeks.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I don't know why I don't pixel more often, it's really relaxing.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
This NerdStomper dude who plays Planetside had me revamp his logo thing in a pixel art style. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. :)

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Looks good! I'm loving all that light diffraction.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Today I laid down some experimental palettes to try laying over my greyscale sprites. I'm thinking of having a few different palettes to denote different game elements such as friendly, enemy, interactive and environment. Anyway for now I'm just trying to get something with more pop than a simple gradient.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I get a really strong psychonauts vibe from the character on the bottom right. Outstanding work as always, Scut.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Did a little 16x16 tree for work but it just came out... kind of generic?

Any advice on how to make it more interesting? I couldn't really make as many branches/distinct segments of tree with the size, and the trunk just kind of ended up being noise more than any real texture.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I did a few pixel doodles in between classes yesterday.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Heavy Lobster posted:

Did a little 16x16 tree for work but it just came out... kind of generic?

Any advice on how to make it more interesting? I couldn't really make as many branches/distinct segments of tree with the size, and the trunk just kind of ended up being noise more than any real texture.

I did some edits to your colour ramp to bring in a bit more range, swapped the black for a very dark purple. Most of the form edits were trying to bring some hierarchy into the crown by making the parts closer to the viewer brighter and darkening the areas that recede. Also edited the highlights with a light source in the upper left in mind.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Negative space + scanlines is super hosed. And fun!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
:krad:

What program do you draw with? Most tools I use are really tedious to draw repetitive straight lines like that. Especially at angles.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Scut posted:

:krad:

What program do you draw with? Most tools I use are really tedious to draw repetitive straight lines like that. Especially at angles.

Photoshop. And it pretty much *is* tedious, i'm just very used to it. That said for scanline stuff I just draw one pixel a bunch of times at one pixel interval, then transform > stretch horizontal.

And I just animated this fucker! It's not how it should be, but I'm starting to enjoy doing overly expressive idles. This is probably going to get annoying to constantly look at though, I think?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
In PS you can make the scanlines a pattern and just bucket tool it all over your image.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Photoshop-Pattern

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

the chaos engine posted:

Photoshop. And it pretty much *is* tedious, i'm just very used to it. That said for scanline stuff I just draw one pixel a bunch of times at one pixel interval, then transform > stretch horizontal.

And I just animated this fucker! It's not how it should be, but I'm starting to enjoy doing overly expressive idles. This is probably going to get annoying to constantly look at though, I think?

Commented on this over on Twitter, but I still can't unsee that right eye as anything but :sterv:. Not that this is an issue.

Relating to it getting annoying, the only thing that stands out when looking around it for a lengthy time is the gun's movement, for some reason. Probably something about the end line thickening and thinning.

Havegum
Aug 29, 2013

Shoehead posted:

So gently caress it, why not get everyone here to give it a go? We've got a load of different artists in the thread who are all at different levels, so it'll be good practice for some and a chance to show off for others.

I did this.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

the chaos engine posted:

If you're working in photoshop you should be able to make a 1x2 pattern that's just a single black pixel and a single transparent pixel. Define pattern -> pattern fill -> instant horizontal scan lines. Same thing works in 2x1 for vertical, or a 2x2 black-transparent checkerboard pattern will work for a quick dithering pattern.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

If you're working in photoshop you should be able to make a 1x2 pattern that's just a single black pixel and a single transparent pixel. Define pattern -> pattern fill -> instant horizontal scan lines. Same thing works in 2x1 for vertical, or a 2x2 black-transparent checkerboard pattern will work for a quick dithering pattern.

Cheers, I should really mess around with stuff like that. Just hard to break habit I guess!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Man, I totally posted that!

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
^^^^^ Cheers to you too! And first! Cheers to you first!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

the chaos engine posted:

^^^^^ Cheers to you too! And first! Cheers to you first!

:shobon:

Now to end this derail, have some Owls (well its all the one owl)

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I missed that you'd posted that, Shoehead! Those are some pretty cool owl(s), are your monster dudes for a specific project or just for fun?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shoehead posted:

:shobon:

Now to end this derail, have some Owls (well its all the one owl)

I'm a little confused as to where the light source is supposed to be coming from. The belly in particular is pretty banded, which doesn't really give much information about the shape of an object.

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011
I figured out getting isometric art to work on a basic 2d grid (specifically roll20) and I'm working on putting together art for an rpg module to play on it. The plan is for there to be combat in a tavern and a dungeon so that's what I'll be making more art for. I'm actually looking for any artists who'd be interested in helping.

This first one is where I was testing it out and you can see the grid it's snapping objects to,

and then I started working on a dungeon floor and some skeletons.

All of this is double size in roll20.

BashfulBanana fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 17, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BashfulBanana posted:

I figured out getting isometric art to work on a basic 2d grid (specifically roll20) and I'm working on putting together art for an rpg module to play on it. The plan is for there to be combat in a tavern and a dungeon so that's what I'll be making more art for. I'm actually looking for any artists who'd be interested in helping.

Have you checked OGA for resources?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Scut posted:

I did some edits to your colour ramp to bring in a bit more range, swapped the black for a very dark purple. Most of the form edits were trying to bring some hierarchy into the crown by making the parts closer to the viewer brighter and darkening the areas that recede. Also edited the highlights with a light source in the upper left in mind.

Thanks a ton for this - I tried to redo it following what you did without just remaking yours and it turned out decidedly better.

Still a lot wrong with it, but much, much better. I decided to go more yellowish for the lighter greens, but I added another shade as I was fiddling so the ramp ended up really sloppy. The shape ended up a little less natural too since I got frustrated and couldn't quite make the top-middle bough not look like a square cutoff going right. Still, learned a lot about shading (and how big an effect a black border can have on something's profile - I added it afterwards just to see what it would look like and it changes the tone of it entirely), I'm really pleased with how the trunk looks kind of split at the base, and I've put enough time into it that I'm ready to just do something else now with what I picked up. Thanks again for the pointers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BashfulBanana
Nov 22, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Have you checked OGA for resources?

This all needs to be made for this resolution, which is pretty nonstandard. Outside art elements are mostly useless except for reference. I'm not looking for art that's close enough to use for a little game thingy, I'm making serious art for this.