Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Nahxela posted:

The Crystal Ring Shield is a giant piece of poo poo, you would do better just not using any shield (focusing more on dodging or blowing things up before you need to guard) rather than trying to rely on it.

But it looks nice and it goes fwoomp when you press left trigger :(

swamp waste posted:

WAR PICK!! With those stats i think the only thing you can wield that'll have higher base damage is the battle axe, and the war pick counts as a thrust weapon which is better against armor. I made a lightning warpick, almost as a joke, on my wizard master character cause I needed something for the Archives, and it turns out it's Good poo poo.

This sounds fun, I'm gonna do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Meis posted:

I was gonna get the shield with the butterfly's soul, to challenge myself. I will go for that MLGS too, it looks pretty great. Lightening is probably the way to go for the archives too.. So what would be a good thing to lighteningefy when you have 10 strength and 12 dex?

Ah man, I miss when that shield was good, its scaling got nerfed in a patch for being too awesome. :(

E: Also the Warpick is one of the strongest overall weapons that can take advantage of the Leo Ring. It's a real good weapon.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Meis posted:

But it looks nice and it goes fwoomp when you press left trigger :(
I guess you can try it out, but that fwoomp is a sad, sad fwoomp.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

a medical mystery posted:

Ah man, I miss when that shield was good, its scaling got nerfed in a patch for being too awesome. :(

E: Also the Warpick is one of the strongest overall weapons that can take advantage of the Leo Ring. It's a real good weapon.

I can attest that the warpick is the best one-handed hammer weapon and is a very strong weapon overall, excellent candidate for a quality build.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

swamp waste posted:

WAR PICK!! With those stats i think the only thing you can wield that'll have higher base damage is the battle axe, and the war pick counts as a thrust weapon which is better against armor. I made a lightning warpick, almost as a joke, on my wizard master character cause I needed something for the Archives, and it turns out it's Good poo poo.

Any thrust-damage related aspects of a weapon will be pretty diminished by making it elemental, since it's tied to the physical damage type
The reinforced club would probably have served you better in every way except for looks, I imagine!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I can't light a bonfire if I've summoned someone? I just got lucky and passed the bridge wyvern in a mad dash. My companion is still around though and I can't light the bonfire. Do I wait for him to kick the bucket or can I dismiss him?

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Seltzer posted:

I can't light a bonfire if I've summoned someone? I just got lucky and passed the bridge wyvern in a mad dash. My companion is still around though and I can't light the bonfire. Do I wait for him to kick the bucket or can I dismiss him?

Use your black crystal.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

hipster werewolf posted:

Use your black crystal.

I just waited for him to die. But, Black Knights don't respawn right? I just cheesed the one near the entrance to undead parish.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, Black Knights won't respawn until an area in the very end of the game.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Seltzer posted:

I just waited for him to die. But, Black Knights don't respawn right? I just cheesed the one near the entrance to undead parish.

You can cheese that one? That would have been nice to know way back in my DaS infancy.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Million Ghosts posted:

You can cheese that one? That would have been nice to know way back in my DaS infancy.

I got him to follow me and then i ran into the bridge and ducked into the stairwell. The dragon killed him for me. I got the great sword from it too.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I had that Black Knight cheese me one time.

I ran up to the top of the turret to aggro the Knight, then dashed back down so he would follow me out to a bigger area.

I was standing at the doorway to the turret, waiting for the Knight to come down the stairs.

Instead, he decided the better option was to drop off the side of the turret, fall on my head, and kill me in one shot.

Fucker pulled a plunging attack on me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Meis posted:

I was gonna get the shield with the butterfly's soul, to challenge myself. I will go for that MLGS too, it looks pretty great. Lightening is probably the way to go for the archives too.. So what would be a good thing to lighteningefy when you have 10 strength and 12 dex?

At SL 20 I just ran my new sorcerer character into the catacombs and got the great scythe. If you can swing 14 str and 14 dex it becomes an enchanted beast for int casters with low stamina drain, long range, high-ish damage and a bleed effect. If you can swing I think 15 str and 11 dex you can get the lucerne from there even earlier, still pretty good either way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time I fought a Black Knight, I had no drat idea what I was doing. After he killed me, I figured he'd just poof back to his usual spot like all the other enemies did. When I came upon him while trekking back to my bloodstain, he just turned around like "Oh, you again" and smacked me twice and then I was dead. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 13, 2013

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

He bull rushed me when I went out the entrance past the bonfire which caught me off guard since I had tried to fight him up the spiral staircase before I had passed by the dragon. Apparently he had changed positions after the bonfire was lit. I ran back to the room where the bonfire is and I kept running in circles around the well that is there potshotting him with my bow the entire time and since he drops his shield a ton it was quite easy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I finally got back into the game after so many months of temporarily not having a PS3 or gaming computer! Currently just finished the Painted World after doing Anor Londo and Sif.
I'm really glad I picked the Iaito to be my Lightning +4 weapon for this runthrough. My build is looking kind of like a 'quality' build (something like 35 STR 25 DEX) so I don't particularly miss the stat scaling (and I already have a Black Knight Sword +4), and having both bleed and lightning damage is really fun. The Iaito's R2 attacks are really the main, and the funniest, reason to use it though - it's amazing how your playstyle can change when instead of waiting for an enemy to slug you first so it bounces off your shield, you instead two-hand your weapon and hit R2 from ten feet away.

Is there a super-easy way to kill Gwyndolin beyond equipping a magic-resistant shield and being smart about when to roll, when to block and when to take cover? It's probably the last thing I have to do in Anor Londo before I move on to ghostier things, and having to run through the church rafter every time to reach him is getting a little old. I got him to 1/4 of his health once before getting slammed by his crossbow, since he hadn't used it at all up to then and I didn't notice the tell, being used to flashy glowing magic.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

bewilderment posted:

Is there a super-easy way to kill Gwyndolin beyond equipping a magic-resistant shield and being smart about when to roll, when to block and when to take cover? It's probably the last thing I have to do in Anor Londo before I move on to ghostier things, and having to run through the church rafter every time to reach him is getting a little old. I got him to 1/4 of his health once before getting slammed by his crossbow, since he hadn't used it at all up to then and I didn't notice the tell, being used to flashy glowing magic.

I found the best strategy is to go for speed and make sure you can fast roll.

I'll throw on the gold hemmed set, the crest shield, and whatever weapon I'm currently using.

Once I pass through the boss door, I'll run a zig-zag pattern back and forth while advancing. His crossbow firing and giant magic ball have pretty bad tracking. The smaller heat-seeker balls take some practice to get used to dodging.

The best time to hit him is when he starts to raise up and do the crossbow shot. Run at him in a zig-zag to avoid the shots, and swing away. When he starts to teleport, keep swinging because you still damage him until he is completely faded away.

Don't try to tank any of his attacks. Just run, and use the pillars at the side to block attacks when you can.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, Gwyndolin is vulnerable to poison arrows. Equip Hawk Ring without moving forward after entering the fog, shoot a few, laugh.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
I just got grabbed by the Centipede Demon. It was frightening :cry:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

bewilderment posted:

and having to run through the church rafter every time to reach him is getting a little old.

??? Either I'm hardcore misremembering or misreading (I rarely bother with Gwyndolin) but isn't there a bonfire basically right in front of him? When do the rafters come into play?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Kakumei posted:

??? Either I'm hardcore misremembering or misreading (I rarely bother with Gwyndolin) but isn't there a bonfire basically right in front of him? When do the rafters come into play?

Yeah I have no idea what route you could take to Gwyndolin that involves the rafters unless you are deliberately going out of your way.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kakumei posted:

When you die in Anor Londo after it's gone dark, you don't spawn at that bonfire, instead you spawn at the first one (which will be out if you've killed the firekeeper). It's one of the annoying thing about playing Anor Londo tag with blue phantoms since you're really far away from your bloodstain whenever you die.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Roguelike posted:

When you die in Anor Londo after it's gone dark, you don't spawn at that bonfire, instead you spawn at the first one (which will be out if you've killed the firekeeper). It's one of the annoying thing about playing Anor Londo tag with blue phantoms since you're really far away from your bloodstain whenever you die.

But as long as you've moved the bridge, why take the rafters?

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Because the bridge has to be in the down position to get to gwyndolin.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

But you can move the bridge from wherever once you've activated it the first time. That's what all those levers are for (or do they disable once AL goes dark? I've never made it dark).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

There is no lever for the bridge on that side.

Does the Fire Keeper aggro after killing Gwenovere too? If not, couldn't you port to the bonfire near Gwyndolin?

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I haven't posted in here in long time, but have been playing since launch. I still remember when the hollow who closes the gate used to respawn among other changes. My ps3 has been acting up for last month or two, so I finally decided to buy a new PS3. Moving from PAL system to JP swapped X and O buttons functions. All of them.

The real Dark Souls starts here. (Until Monday probably,)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

kazil posted:

There is no lever for the bridge on that side.

Does the Fire Keeper aggro after killing Gwenovere too? If not, couldn't you port to the bonfire near Gwyndolin?

She does. You don't need to kill her though.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Run back to Sen's Fortress then warp to Gwyndolin's bonfire.

Also never kill the Anor Londo firekeeper.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Run back to Sen's Fortress then warp to Gwyndolin's bonfire.

Also never kill the Anor Londo firekeeper.*

*Except in the endgame when you want her soul.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Just got to blight town. Ugh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CJacobs posted:

The first time I fought a Black Knight, I had no drat idea what I was doing. After he killed me, I figured he'd just poof back to his usual spot like all the other enemies did. When I came upon him while trekking back to my bloodstain, he just turned around like "Oh, you again" and smacked me twice and then I was dead. :v:

The first one I encountered was the one at the top of the tower right past the game's first dragon bridge. I was genuinely startled because I hadn't recentered the camera as I rounded the last spiral of stairs so I practically walked into him as he turned around to face me. I got really lucky and actually knocked him off the edge of the tower. Assuming him dead because of the height of the tower I gleefully started running back down the spiral staircase to get my loot, instead meeting a shocking and immediate death from him running right back up. :3:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Speaking of blight town, I've gotten to the point where I'm about to finish and I'm going back to get things that I missed before I fight Gwynn/buy and play the DLC. I've gone back there to find the whip, and I never did figure out what to do with this giant spider. Can anyone give some advice on this?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of blight town, I've gotten to the point where I'm about to finish and I'm going back to get things that I missed before I fight Gwynn/buy and play the DLC. I've gone back there to find the whip, and I never did figure out what to do with this giant spider. Can anyone give some advice on this?
Around the ramp that descends into the tunnel cavern thing with the fatty/cannibals/around where the whip is, there should be a ladder on a tower that goes up. You might've already killed it, but there's initially a blowdart sniper up there, as well as a path into the tunnel/cave thing. That upper pathway actually leads around to the other side of the spider squid poo poo thing, and you're free to kill it with no resistance.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Just got to blight town. Ugh

Savor it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

SlothfulCobra posted:

Giant spider? The one with the lady attached is the boss of the level. The weird wall-monster thing in upper BT should be approached from behind.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I was stuck on that wall-hugger guy for a bit too because it never sounds like you're actually connecting any shots on him, and he's so big that his health bar sits off the top of the screen.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Truman Sticks posted:

I was stuck on that wall-hugger guy for a bit too because it never sounds like you're actually connecting any shots on him, and he's so big that his health bar sits off the top of the screen.

Same thing happened to me the first time through too. I decided to go around to the front and poke his sac thing. I promptly got shredded.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

The first one I encountered was the one at the top of the tower right past the game's first dragon bridge. I was genuinely startled because I hadn't recentered the camera as I rounded the last spiral of stairs so I practically walked into him as he turned around to face me. I got really lucky and actually knocked him off the edge of the tower. Assuming him dead because of the height of the tower I gleefully started running back down the spiral staircase to get my loot, instead meeting a shocking and immediate death from him running right back up. :3:

:lol:

That's the exact same thing that happened to me my first time through :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Do people still do battle of stoicism? I made a few characters just for it a few months back and now I am not seeing any circles there. Sl100 on ps3 for reference.

• Locked thread