Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't get the NRA joke but I don't pay much attention to gun stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Conquistador posted:

I didn't get the NRA joke but I don't pay much attention to gun stuff

I mean it's basically explained in the show. Many gun rights groups are known to be affiliated with actual gun companies. In recent history the NRA and similar groups have faked shortages ("The government is buying all the bullets so they can arm themselves to take your guns!") or generally drummed up fear to work up demand.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Well lets be fair. That's usually a drop in the bucket that is politician fearmongering. I thought the guy who said the episode was light on commentary missed like 90% of the episode.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I felt the commentary in this last episode was a large club that beat me relentlessly about the head and neck, and by the end I was begging for the subtlety of South Park.

Hoffbonics
May 12, 2003

Always a gentleman
youtube.com/letsgotoclass
Interview with the under-the-bridge gun dealer, the same guy from season 2 who sold Dennis and Dee crack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Hu1jnDD-s

here's another one but possible spoilers about something that's already been confirmed and talked about by RCG for season 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-E2kdNDPJc

Hoffbonics fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 13, 2013

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

FogHelmut posted:

I felt the commentary in this last episode was a large club that beat me relentlessly about the head and neck, and by the end I was begging for the subtlety of South Park.
I don't think there was supposed to be any commentary, just the gang being complete lunatics making a mockery out of their own positions. This is Always Sunny, not South Park.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Wasn't a huge fan of the episode, but loved that Dennis is still in touch with his crack dealer.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think there was supposed to be any commentary, just the gang being complete lunatics making a mockery out of their own positions. This is Always Sunny, not South Park.

This.

If you got any commentary off of this, other than that people like Frank are scumbags, then you were watching too hard. Dee/Dennis and Mac/Charlie both started off trying to prove opposite points and couldn't come to their expected conclusion due to sheer, insane incompetence. The only "winner" was Frank who wasn't really even playing.

It's not a South Park where "these zealots are idiots and the truth is in the middle"...it's just "these people are idiots".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I dunno I think Charlie made some really good points concerning the big Guns vs. Swords debate.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I dunno I think Charlie made some really good points concerning the big Guns vs. Swords debate.

If I were to make noises and swerve wildly it would distract you! You couldn't keep up.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ultramiraculous posted:

If I were to make noises and swerve wildly it would distract you! You couldn't keep up.

I wish I had a .gif of Charlie turning the gun from side to side and pulling the trigger to respond with.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The only real commentary in this episode was Franks at the end, "This is America, either you're a scammer or a scammee", and he's absolutely right.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I liked the episode, I actually laughed harder than I did at the premiere. Living in SF, I guess I connected with Dee and Dennis' smug talking points that I hear so much when people discuss guns in the City.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I have to admit, I usually laugh at people in this thread who get hung up on the realism of an episode, or nitpick how realistic the gang's decisions are, but it kind of bothered me that Dennis and Dee's point was "refuted" when they couldn't get $3000 to buy the rifle at the gun show. I don't know how gun sales work to be honest, but if you really can just pick up an assault rifle at a show for a few thousand with no background check from a private seller, that really is quite easy. If anything, I feel it would have been more believable if they were refused due to the owner's opinion, like they said something stupid trying to loudly make their point about shooting up a crowd or something and the guy got sketched out and refused to sell to them. That would have made the episode flow a bit more naturally, I felt.

This is a dangerous post though, I don't mean to open a :can: or start a gun debate so I'll just leave it at this.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think they just didn't want to spend twice what Gunther's was charging?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Conquistador posted:

I think they just didn't want to spend twice what Gunther's was charging?

Yes, that's his point.

Dennis and Dee were trying to prove it was super easy to get a gun, and they were right, they just didn't want to pay that much. Compared to the "super easy" way at the gun store that involved a background check they failed, and the "super way" way on the street that involved a low life who just robbed them. Buying a gun at a gun show from a private seller really is that easy in most states, Dennis and Dee just felt they actually HAD to get the gun to prove their point, rather than simply go back to Charlie and Mac and say,
"Yeah, any psycho with a few grand can buy any gun he wants super easy!"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Advice posted:

I have to admit, I usually laugh at people in this thread who get hung up on the realism of an episode, or nitpick how realistic the gang's decisions are, but it kind of bothered me that Dennis and Dee's point was "refuted" when they couldn't get $3000 to buy the rifle at the gun show. I don't know how gun sales work to be honest, but if you really can just pick up an assault rifle at a show for a few thousand with no background check from a private seller, that really is quite easy.

Just to contribute to the :can:, the term "gun show loophole" is sort of misleading too, since it's not so much a loophole as it is a crevasse large enough to drive a bus through. Thousands and thousands of guns get sold at these things, most of them without any background check at all.

No matter which way you look at it, America has a gun problem, which is made so much worse by it's terrible inequality problem and resulting crime rates. :911:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
At least you don't have a sword problem, a far more serious issue.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

We'd shoot you from like a mile away. There will never be a sword problem in America. :colbert:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I believe in Britain the distance between the seats of the two parties in Parliament is exactly 1.5 the average sword length or something for this very reason.

Note: my facts are prone to error

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TraderStav posted:

I believe in Britain the distance between the seats of the two parties in Parliament is exactly 1.5 the average sword length or something for this very reason.

Note: my facts are prone to error

How far is that in standard cane lengths?

quote:

Brooks was a fervent advocate of slavery. He is primarily remembered for severely beating Senator Charles Sumner (Free Soil-Massachusetts), an abolitionist, with a cane on the floor of the United States Senate, on May 22, 1856.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Can a gun cut through watermelon?!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TUS posted:

Can a gun cut through watermelon?!

Mac looked genuinely shocked that it went as well as it did!

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Fast Luck posted:

I didn't feel like there was a greater political agenda here, but if anything, I think they presented both sides of the argument in a way only It's Always Sunny can. There are nutjobs on both sides of the argument, and it's fitting the gang would be those people. And then there's Frank, who is a scumbag.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCtruBO2Sks

Sorry Mac

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Gonna disagree. I really like both shows but The League makes me laugh far more often than Sunny does the last few seasons. Personal preference and whatnot I guess. Sometimes Always Sunny feels too much like "Hey, remember when we did this before?" and although I thought this episode was good it just felt like we've been here before. Which I suppose we obviously have, being that it's more or less a sequel episode with 'too' in the title.

Think what you feel, but at least Sunny is clever with their callbacks. The League hasn't grown much after season its first three seasons which I thought were all outstanding and much better than the Sunny episodes they shared their slot with, with maybe the exception of its first, cuz season 5 is my favorite season of Sunny by far.

This season of the league so far seems really stuck in a rut and not forwarding their humor. Yobogoya and public making GBS threads, DRAIDS, Dre being completely oblvious to completely obvious euphemisms, Ruxin saying forever unclean. I dunno, at least Sunny seems to make fun of their callbacks.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So basically what you're saying is we need more Jeff Goldblum

E: Ok, I'm not in the League thread it turns out. So, uh, "they need" then.

Although I'd be down for Jeff in Sunny, too.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
This week's episode was amazing. I haven't enjoyed an episode so much since I was still getting used to the show it's first couple of seasons. There have definitely been better episodes but this had everything I love about this show in it.

They are such idiots but that's why I love them.

Harry posted:

Wasn't a huge fan of the episode, but loved that Dennis is still in touch with his crack dealer.

Thanks for pointing this out, I never notice things like that but they add a lot of humor.

Advice posted:

If anything, I feel it would have been more believable if they were refused due to the owner's opinion, like they said something stupid trying to loudly make their point about shooting up a crowd or something and the guy got sketched out and refused to sell to them. That would have made the episode flow a bit more naturally, I felt.

He upped the price to $4,000 and basically did refuse to sell to them though... not to mention the entire gun show turning on them :confused:

Mercaptopropyl fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 14, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mercaptopropyl posted:

He upped the price to $4,000 and basically did refuse to sell to them though... not to mention the entire gun show turning on them :confused:

Only because they were pricks for no real reason also rather transparent in what they were doing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

This season of the league so far seems really stuck in a rut and not forwarding their humor. Yobogoya and public making GBS threads, DRAIDS, Dre being completely oblvious to completely obvious euphemisms, Ruxin saying forever unclean. I dunno, at least Sunny seems to make fun of their callbacks.

The League reminds me a lot of New Girl in that its only funny if you can identify with wealthy, white metrosexuals who act like teenagers despite being in their early 30s.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

The League reminds me a lot of New Girl in that its only funny if you can identify with wealthy, white metrosexuals who act like teenagers despite being in their early 30s.

Somebody sounds bitter.

Both shows are funny in their own way I don't think that you have to identify as wealthy and white to enjoy them.

I agree that this season of the League has been subpar so far though.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I just don't understand why people sometimes prefer The League over Sunny, or even liking it at all.

Why are we supposed to hate Andre so much, with Dee she's still a horrible person, but Andre just...had bad taste in clothes and doesn't understand certain sexual innuendos? I'll admit I don't know a thing about football but most of the scenes regarding the fantasy football is just setups for bits when they have to do X to get player Y. Or when a famous footballer is on but then it's incredibly obvious because they can't act or be a comedian.

When they hate Dee she's still a horrible person and the gang is even worse themselves. But the League is generally just average joes with some quirks of either being 'dumb' or having a convenient germaphobia in that it only surfaces for episodes that have jokes on it or callbacks.

Rafi and Dirty Randy are awesome though, but criminally underused and just basically Jason cutting lose as himself, only even more hyper.

Yeah I'm not forced to watch it and of course this just my taste and opinion, but I just don't get how it gets so much traction on SA. It feels like something for a 2 and a half men/Big Bang Theory crowd.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Zsinjeh posted:

I just don't understand why people sometimes prefer The League over Sunny, or even liking it at all.

Why are we supposed to hate Andre so much, with Dee she's still a horrible person, but Andre just...had bad taste in clothes and doesn't understand certain sexual innuendos? I'll admit I don't know a thing about football but most of the scenes regarding the fantasy football is just setups for bits when they have to do X to get player Y. Or when a famous footballer is on but then it's incredibly obvious because they can't act or be a comedian.

When they hate Dee she's still a horrible person and the gang is even worse themselves. But the League is generally just average joes with some quirks of either being 'dumb' or having a convenient germaphobia in that it only surfaces for episodes that have jokes on it or callbacks.

Rafi and Dirty Randy are awesome though, but criminally underused and just basically Jason cutting lose as himself, only even more hyper.

Yeah I'm not forced to watch it and of course this just my taste and opinion, but I just don't get how it gets so much traction on SA. It feels like something for a 2 and a half men/Big Bang Theory crowd.

They don't "hate" Andre. They rib and joke with him like friends albeit a bit further. Rafi is used perfectly, and anything more would be too much. It's a funny show :shobon:

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

CaptainHollywood posted:

They don't "hate" Andre. They rib and joke with him like friends albeit a bit further. Rafi is used perfectly, and anything more would be too much. It's a funny show :shobon:

I definitely agree with this. Wacky side characters are overused way too often in shows and the way League has balanced the use of Rafi has been perfect.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Glenn tweeted that Nicki Potnick is not the waitresses name. I wonder if they'll just end the show without telling us.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

The Waitress' name shouldn't be revealed. Not every mystery needs a reveal.
Maybe the last episode will feature her snapping and killing them all for not knowing her name.
Not really but still. I feel it's funnier not knowing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mercaptopropyl posted:

The objection is that they could totally have bought the gun if they werent cheap. Even as they were loudly claiming (truly) to be unstable, he was like fine, 3 grand'll get you an assault rifle. Kinda proves the point they were trying to make

Idgaf though, episode rules. Best part was Frank with the sub in the first tv clip. "Sir, could you not eat while we're on?"

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Carthag posted:

The objection is that they could totally have bought the gun if they werent cheap. Even as they were loudly claiming (truly) to be unstable, he was like fine, 3 grand'll get you an assault rifle. Kinda proves the point they were trying to make

I didn't even notice until a rewatch of the episode, but the funniest part of this for me was that they tell Gunther to ring up two of the asault rifles he shows them, then later on are unwilling to pay twice the price on a gun they just plan to return anyway.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

pooch516 posted:

I didn't even notice until a rewatch of the episode, but the funniest part of this for me was that they tell Gunther to ring up two of the asault rifles he shows them, then later on are unwilling to pay twice the price on a gun they just plan to return anyway.

I thought the guy at the gun show said all sales were final which is why they wouldn't buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Yeah, it was a combination of the price and the return policy (or lack thereof).