Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

I asked a salesperson about the lack of customization, and was told that since it's a brand-new model, they're still in the process of getting things up and will have more customization options soon.

I think it might be the same with the HP Zbook 15 -- it doesn't even let you pick a QHD screen right now for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

crazyfish posted:

My main requirements are:

1) Deals well with Linux. I do not give a poo poo about modern games. That means I'll almost definitely want standard Haswell integrated graphics.
2) 1080p screen or better.
3) 14" or smaller form factor (no smaller than 12").
4) Replaceable hard drive (mSATA or otherwise). If a hard drive dies I don't want it taking the entire laptop with it or having to deal with some first-line helpdesk support saying poo poo like Linux voided my warranty.
5) 8GB ram minimum with 16GB being preferable. I will occasionally run VMs on this machine for work and I need something that can deal with that. My classic strategy was to just order the RAM later and install it myself to save a shitload of money, so if I can pull that off that would be my preference.
6) Trackpoint highly preferred. I love love love my Trackpoint, but if I have to give it up, so be it.

This is from a couple of pages back, but the Latitude 7440 is fully up on Dell's premier site now. It is NOT cheap. Currently, the 1080p touchscreen is a nearly $300 option, but there's a 1080p matte option for $90.
Highlights:
The Ubuntu version is discounted by $70 from the Windows Pro version.
The i7-4600U is an option now, which I think is the highest clocked 17W CPU available right now. There's also the i5-4300U as an option.
TrackPoint with physical buttons:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wasn't the Latitude 3440 supposed to be released today as well?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Meltycat posted:

Dell m4800 (15") was released:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4800-workstation/fs

Currently you can't change the processor/RAM/etc on any of the pre-built models (I called dell and was told you'd be able to customize more "soon"), but $2k gets you a 3200x1800 screen with a 2.4base/3.7ghz "turbo" i7 and a 2GB K2100M. Apparently, the battery/RAM/storage are user-replaceable. You also get a pointing stick with two sets of physical buttons. Dell also has a 3-year accidental damage warranty for $120 -- has anyone used it?

The other high-res non-Ultrabook Haswell-based competition seems to be the Zbook 15:

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTE...t8AAAFAINpn4emG

which starts at $2k with a 1080P screen and no option online to configure the higher-res screens (yet). The Dreamcolor 1080P upgrade is $400, but I have no idea if that has any bearing as to how much they will want to charge for the 3200x1800 screen.

There's also the W540, which I refuse to buy unless they decide to bring back the trackpoint buttons (they won't) or make it substantially cheaper than either of the other options.

I thought about a rMBP, but it lacks a trackpoint at all, has everything soldered in, and the Haswell refresh might not come with dedicated graphics. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing or how the performance would be compared to the workstation-class cards.

Magic Underwear: What distro are you running? I had heard the rMBPs were bad for Linux, as in you need to set a ton of specialized stuff up. Regarding the tiny text, I have a 1920x1200 15" laptop, and a combination of a default zoom Firefox plugin, changing my terminal fonts, and some GTK tool I forgot the name of has everything nicely scaled up for me, though I'm not sure how well it would work since I'm still at like half your resolution. Not sure if the GTK thing would be useful to you or not, but you might want to look into it if you use GTK-based apps.

I don't know why you're so insistent on Haswell, I don't think the gains are that great for actually using it, just when it's idle. Honestly your chances of getting something with Haswell are slim if you need it by the end of this month. I don't actually use my MBP at 2880x1800, but you could if you really wanted all the space. Isn't OSX basically a Linux (or unix?).

Sounds like you want a W530. It has a normal trackpoint, real buttons, 1080p and 16gb option, and costs less than 2k.

Meltycat
May 20, 2006

Melty and adorable!

Magic Underwear posted:

I don't know why you're so insistent on Haswell, I don't think the gains are that great for actually using it, just when it's idle. Honestly your chances of getting something with Haswell are slim if you need it by the end of this month. I don't actually use my MBP at 2880x1800, but you could if you really wanted all the space. Isn't OSX basically a Linux (or unix?).

Sounds like you want a W530. It has a normal trackpoint, real buttons, 1080p and 16gb option, and costs less than 2k.

I think you're mixing me up with somebody else... I don't need a machine by the end of this month :) The sooner the better, but I could probably wait until next spring/summer if I really needed.

I really want a QHD+ display (>1080P) in a user-serviceable chassis, and most of those machines are planned Haswell releases. If I settled for 1080P, then yeah, I'd probably pick up a W530 (thanks for the recommendation!). I figure the QHD should be nice for where I need it (visualization + viewing detailed figures, and a huge amount of reading text which looks much nicer on Retina-style displays), so I'm being somewhat stubborn about it.

Regarding the Retina Macs, OSX is BSD-based, but we work with and deploy Linux-based software where there are enough incompatibilities that I'd like to just run Linux natively. Even if the compatibility wasn't an issue, I still don't really like the OSX interface. If they come out with really nice hardware for this gen which is substantially nicer than the Dells/HPs/etc, I'll give them a look though. Over the summer one of my machines broke and getting an Ubuntu install on an (oldish) loaner Macbook was a pain and I've heard the newer ones are worse, but I'll ask in the Mac thread about it if it comes to that.

Meltycat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 12, 2013

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

The X-man cometh posted:

Wasn't the Latitude 3440 supposed to be released today as well?

It's on my premier page as "Latitude 14 3000 Series." The build your own page has some kinks in it right now, like the touchscreen LCD option throws an error as being incompatible with "shipment box"
The available options aren't that great right now:

Intel Core i3-4010U (Dual Core, 1.70GHz, 3M cache, 15W) [subtract $54.40]
Intel Core i5-4200U (Dual Core, 1.60GHz, 3M cache, 15W) [Included in Price]

2GB (1x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory [subtract $91.80]
4GB (1x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory [subtract $64.60]
6GB (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB) 1600Mhz DDR3L Memory [subtract $34.00]
8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory [Included in Price]

14.0 in. HDF WLED LGD LCD [subtract $34.00]
14.0 in. HDF+ WLED AUO LCD [Included in Price]
14.0 in. HD WLED AUO LCD with TOUCH capability [add $101.32]

UMA [Included in Price]
Nvidia N14P-GV2 2GB DDR3 [add $53.72] (I think that this is the Quadro K1000M http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-K1000M.76894.0.html)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

Isn't OSX basically a Linux (or unix?).

This gets asked a lot, but the answer is no. They have a lot of similarities, but it's not actually A Linux (although it is based on one) and there are some incompatibility issues

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I think there are two of us with roughly similar requirements, but I'm the one that wants it by the end of the month. Feels like I'm about a month too early for not only Haswell, but higher than 1080p screens. The m4800 with qhd starts shipping October 1.

On a related note, check out the price deltas between the us and Canadian Dell sites. Base m4800 starts at 2026 and the cheapest qhd for 3106.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Meltycat posted:

Dell m4800 (15") was released:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m4800-workstation/fs

Currently you can't change the processor/RAM/etc on any of the pre-built models (I called dell and was told you'd be able to customize more "soon"), but $2k gets you a 3200x1800 screen with a 2.4base/3.7ghz "turbo" i7 and a 2GB K2100M. Apparently, the battery/RAM/storage are user-replaceable. You also get a pointing stick with two sets of physical buttons. Dell also has a 3-year accidental damage warranty for $120 -- has anyone used it?
These are the CPU options on the Premier Site:
Intel Core i5-4200M (Dual Core 2.50GHz, x.xGHz Turbo, 3MB 37W, w/HD Graphics 4600) [Included in Price]
Intel Core i7-4600M (Dual Core 2.90GHz, x.xGHz Turbo, 4MB 37W, w/HD Graphics 4600) [add $102.00]
Intel Core i7-4700MQ (Quad Core 2.40GHz, x.xGHz Turbo, 6MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600) [add $81.60]
Intel Core i7-4800MQ (Quad Core 2.70GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo, 6MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600) [add $197.20]
Intel Core i7-4900MQ (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 8MB 47W, w/HD Graphics 4600) [add $333.20]
Intel Core i7-4930MX (Quad Core Extreme 3.00GHz, 3.9GHz Turbo, 8MB 57W, w/HD Graphics 4600) [add $809.20]

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Edit: double post from phone

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Man, I am really torn between the Precision 4800, the Latitude E6540 and the HP Z 15.
All look great and offer good processor and graphics options.

I think the Latitude, according to notebookcheck, may not handle the CPU heat very well. But I don't know what "stress test" really means in this instance, maybe it's unrealistically running all four cores at 100% for two hours. Or maybe it really has a throttling problem which may become visible in practice.
The M4800 is a bit pricier and a tad less mobile.

unnnngh

At least Lenovo doesn't offer a proper alternative anymore.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the word on the t540? I haven't seen anything much about it and doubt my mom would care a lot about the trackpoint changes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anandtech is good about reviewing HP and Dell workstation-class laptops, I'd like to see them have a shootout with those three.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Boner Slam posted:

I think the Latitude, according to notebookcheck, may not handle the CPU heat very well. But I don't know what "stress test" really means in this instance, maybe it's unrealistically running all four cores at 100% for two hours. Or maybe it really has a throttling problem which may become visible in practice.

One man's unrealistic is another man's daily workload. Sounds like my use case.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

What's the word on the t540? I haven't seen anything much about it and doubt my mom would care a lot about the trackpoint changes.

T540p is shipping in November. haven't heard anything about a non-p.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Naffer posted:

This is from a couple of pages back, but the Latitude 7440 is fully up on Dell's premier site now. It is NOT cheap. Currently, the 1080p touchscreen is a nearly $300 option, but there's a 1080p matte option for $90.
Highlights:
The Ubuntu version is discounted by $70 from the Windows Pro version.
The i7-4600U is an option now, which I think is the highest clocked 17W CPU available right now. There's also the i5-4300U as an option.
TrackPoint with physical buttons:

We just put in an order of 19 of these for my department. I can't wait to play with them.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Naffer posted:

It's on my premier page as "Latitude 14 3000 Series." The build your own page has some kinks in it right now, like the touchscreen LCD option throws an error as being incompatible with "shipment box"
The available options aren't that great right now:

Intel Core i3-4010U (Dual Core, 1.70GHz, 3M cache, 15W) [subtract $54.40]
Intel Core i5-4200U (Dual Core, 1.60GHz, 3M cache, 15W) [Included in Price]

2GB (1x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory [subtract $91.80]
4GB (1x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory [subtract $64.60]
6GB (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB) 1600Mhz DDR3L Memory [subtract $34.00]
8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory [Included in Price]

14.0 in. HDF WLED LGD LCD [subtract $34.00]
14.0 in. HDF+ WLED AUO LCD [Included in Price]
14.0 in. HD WLED AUO LCD with TOUCH capability [add $101.32]

UMA [Included in Price]
Nvidia N14P-GV2 2GB DDR3 [add $53.72] (I think that this is the Quadro K1000M http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-K1000M.76894.0.html)

That's exactly what I'm looking for. do you know how long laptops stay on the premier site until they're available on the main site?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

The X-man cometh posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. do you know how long laptops stay on the premier site until they're available on the main site?

It's up here now: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-3440-laptop/pd but there aren't really any customization options available yet. Maybe give it a couple of days?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
A few pages ago someone mentioned their Lenovo estimated ship date jumping around a lot.

Mine just shot up to December 31st (what? On New Year's Eve, really?) for an order I placed on a week ago (which originally said would ship on september 23rd).

Is this just normal shenanigans that will eventually settle down and come back to a logical ship date or should I be calling Lenovo to see what's up?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Does anyone know where to find the windows product key for lenovo's y410p? I ran into a pretty serious issue after migrating my data over to the SSD I ordered so I'm looking to download a new windows 8 install with my key. Except it doesn't appear to be on the body or in any of the provided documentation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hcenvirons posted:

Does anyone know where to find the windows product key for lenovo's y410p? I ran into a pretty serious issue after migrating my data over to the SSD I ordered so I'm looking to download a new windows 8 install with my key. Except it doesn't appear to be on the body or in any of the provided documentation.

It's embedded in the bios. Windows install should detect it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2012/11/16/windows-8-bios-keys-embedded-goodness.aspx

You have to be sure to install the exact same edition that was on there before though.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

So guys I really need some help. I am maxing out my spending now at $1400. I'm looking between a macbook pro (without retina 13"), a macbook air and some form of PC.

All I do is use word processors, browse the internet and use DAWs. 13" or 15" is fine. Battery life is semi important too. I just want to be able to browse the net, watch movies, (burn cd's although I might get over this with the air) and record music. (Don't recommend a heavy beast or a thinkpad cause they are too ugly).

HELP ME PLEASE.

EDIT: Realized Macbook air doesnt' have HDMI, that is required. (I don't totally need a cd burner.)

EDIT2: A good webcam is a plus too.

FINAL EDIT: How does this look for what I want?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7686549&CatId=4938

Good Canadian Boy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 13, 2013

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Good Canadian Boy posted:

So guys I really need some help. I am maxing out my spending now at $1400. I'm looking between a macbook pro (without retina 13"), a macbook air and some form of PC.

All I do is use word processors, browse the internet and use DAWs. 13" or 15" is fine. Battery life is semi important too. I just want to be able to browse the net, watch movies, (burn cd's although I might get over this with the air) and record music. (Don't recommend a heavy beast or a thinkpad cause they are too ugly).

HELP ME PLEASE.

EDIT: Realized Macbook air doesnt' have HDMI, that is required. (I don't totally need a cd burner.)

EDIT2: A good webcam is a plus too.

Please don't buy a non-retina MBP. Thanks. The Air can use a mini-DP to HDMI adaptor and a USB superdrive. However, I think a lot of non-Apple ultrabooks would meet your needs too.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Oh that's pretty decent then. I might just get a macbook air! A superdrive and a mini-DP to HDMI adaptor seem like a good choice, provided that a macbook air can run Logic express sufficiently.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Buy a miniDP to HDMI adapter, $4 shipped in the OP

Buy a USB Blu-Ray burner for $40

Get the Macbook Air, you'll like it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bull3964 posted:

It's embedded in the bios. Windows install should detect it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2012/11/16/windows-8-bios-keys-embedded-goodness.aspx

You have to be sure to install the exact same edition that was on there before though.

Problem is there isn't any retail DVD that comes with it, no standalone windows install. I'm still not at all sure how to transfer the installation to the SSD to be entirely honest without a transfer tool.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
What's it like using a 1080p 14 inch screen? Is it comfortable to type on/read from for long periods of time or is the text just too small? Windows doesn't handle DPI scaling that well so I was wondering if that high a resolution on that size screen would be worth it

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Problem is there isn't any retail DVD that comes with it, no standalone windows install. I'm still not at all sure how to transfer the installation to the SSD to be entirely honest without a transfer tool.

Download an ISO from anywhere and burn it. Or put that ISO on a USB stick (I think there's an MS tool to do this, or other ways). Your copy is legal, this is totally fine. I've never even heard of a transfer tool anyway, unless you mean something like Acronis that can just clone your partition over.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Are there any 13-14" laptops/ultrabooks that have either two 2.5" drive bays or, more realistically, an msata port plus a 2.5" drive bay? Other requirements: at least 1920x1080, at least 8gb of ram (as an installed option). Ideally it would come with a 128-256gb SSD installed in the msata port. If there was an option to put a hard drive in the 2.5" bay in addition to the SSD, that might also be nice.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

How important would the 256GB upgrade over 128GB be for the Macbook Air? Also upgrading to 8GB over 4GB of ram?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

How important would the 256GB upgrade over 128GB be for the Macbook Air? Also upgrading to 8GB over 4GB of ram?

If you're going to do something like run Windows 7/8 VM's or BootCamp, you're going to want the 256GB. The 8GB or RAM is nice too.

But if you're just using it to type papers and surf the web you can get by with the 4/128

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

What's it like using a 1080p 14 inch screen? Is it comfortable to type on/read from for long periods of time or is the text just too small? Windows doesn't handle DPI scaling that well so I was wondering if that high a resolution on that size screen would be worth it

I figured it would actually be easier to go to a shop and look at the laptops on display and see for myself, so I spent some time today doing just that. Long story short, just in case anyone else is wondering, it's pretty much fine. Sometimes text when typing or browsing can be a bit too small, but zoom functions on either the web browser or Word mean it's not a problem really. And if anything else is too small bumping up the native Windows scaling to 125% makes things big enough to read without breaking anything too badly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there any benchmarks for these Haswell 4xxxU chips? Since they're all U, unless they're quad core, I'm guessing Intel is saying that Ultra low power is ready for the mainstream?

I'm trying to configure a couple new laptops at work and wondering if the Haswell in the 3000 or 7000 latitude will be enough for a daily driver, or if I should jump backward to the 3rd gen chips (since these things spend most of the day in a dock anyway).

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FISHMANPET posted:

Are there any benchmarks for these Haswell 4xxxU chips? Since they're all U, unless they're quad core, I'm guessing Intel is saying that Ultra low power is ready for the mainstream?

I'm trying to configure a couple new laptops at work and wondering if the Haswell in the 3000 or 7000 latitude will be enough for a daily driver, or if I should jump backward to the 3rd gen chips (since these things spend most of the day in a dock anyway).

There are some synthetic benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-Notebook-Processor.93563.0.html and http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-Notebook-Processor.93562.0.html

It's kind of amazing that's it's halfway through September and there aren't any more Haswell ultrabooks available than there were back in July. Wasn't the Samsung 9 Plus supposed to be for sale at this point?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Naffer posted:

There are some synthetic benchmarks here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-Notebook-Processor.93563.0.html and http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-4500U-Notebook-Processor.93562.0.html

It's kind of amazing that's it's halfway through September and there aren't any more Haswell ultrabooks available than there were back in July. Wasn't the Samsung 9 Plus supposed to be for sale at this point?

It is; mine should arrive today.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Those don't look... great to me. I guess the changes are all in energy consumption rather than performance, but those chips are raking around Sandy Bridge, not even Ivy Bridge.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

FISHMANPET posted:

Those don't look... great to me. I guess the changes are all in energy consumption rather than performance, but those chips are raking around Sandy Bridge, not even Ivy Bridge.

The lower wattage definitely extracts a speed penalty, but the 17W Haswell chips perform pretty similarly to the previous-gen U-series dual cores.
If you're concerned, you might want to wait and see some of the 28W Haswell benchmarks. Those processors should start to be available soon.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

You do realize you're comparing an "Ultra Low Voltage" (-U) chip with plain "Low Voltage" (-M) chips, right? The fact that Haswell can match Sandy Bridge's 35W mobile processors with its 15W processors while also offering better performing Integrated Graphics seems pretty impressive to me.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Duck and Cover posted:

It is; mine should arrive today.

Is there any word on when upgraded versions of that laptop will be out? If there was an 8 GB/ 256 G ssd version I'd probably go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GrizzlyCow posted:

You do realize you're comparing an "Ultra Low Voltage" (-U) chip with plain "Low Voltage" (-M) chips, right? The fact that Haswell can match Sandy Bridge's 35W mobile processors with its 15W processors while also offering better performing Integrated Graphics seems pretty impressive to me.

Ultra Low Voltage is all Intel is offering in the mobile space, other than quad core. So I don't have anything else to compare to. What do I do if I want a laptop with an i5 chip that I feel comfortable with them using as their daily work machine for the next 3 years? Hopefully the 28W will give some better performance. I don't want to have to give my staff Ivy Bridge because that's what has the power they need.