Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The best bit was how NPCs in the first town kept falling through the floors.
Unless you're talking about a different bug, NPCs can still clip through the level geometry in certain areas and be lost forever, until you use a console command to teleport them back.
Craterside Supply is common spot to loose NPCs like this.

Out of curiocity I've been reading a couple FO3 and F:NV reviews next to eachother and some of them are both funny and sad.
A fallout 3 review will go on about how wonderful the game is, how gorgeous the graphics are and how compelling and engaging the story is. If bugs are mentioned, then they're just minor faults that do nothing to detract from game's wonderfulness.
The New Vegas review from the same source will say it's basically just another FO3 with nothing new added. Despite it being more of the same, the graphics "look dated" or are "underwhelming". The story is described as uninteresting and boring. Also because it's an Obsidian game, the bugs and glitches are utterly unforgivable (Nevermind the fact that Bethesda did the QA. Also bonus points if an allution to KotOR 2 is made).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

Put it this way: when I do playthroughs of FO: NV I always run through all of the DLCs (exception being Lonesome Road, and to a lesser extent OWB, because it didn't exist while I was doing the bulk of my playing) but I will usually only pick and choose bits of the base game to play. This may not be a popular sentiment but I think basically each DLC had about as much to say as the entire base game, just boiled down into a much more succinct package.

The best bits of FO3 were DLC, but not all of the FO3 DLC were worth playing.

I've yet to play Lonesome Road but I loved the way OWB and Dead Money were tied together. I can't wait to go back and play Dead Money next time now that I know to show up to the bunker with nothing in my inventory except a brahmin steak or two.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got round to Lonesome Road. Can't believe it came out two years ago. Ages since I've been on New Vegas. I liked the story, but some of it was a bit too reminiscent of the boring city parts from Fallout 3. And the tunnellers were horrible. And the Marked Men were kind of boring.

The stuff with E-DE was great. It was nice being able to send him off on his journey again at the end, even if the original had forgotten.

And A++ for explosions. Lots of those. Blowing up warheads is fun. The "oops, I just launched a nuke" bit was great. And later on I did it on purpose. :getin: Talked down Ulysses, thought "oh, it'd be a shame to finish this off without some more explosions, oh, what's this, nuke the Legion and NCR? Why not end with a bang?"

Old World Blues is still my favourite though. Those wacky scientists and their silly robots. :3:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The tunnelers did indeed feel very off to me. The monster design seems quite swarmy and squishy but the things seem to be at least as tough as Deathclaws and hit like trucks. Shooting them with the flare gun is a blast but ultimately kind of pointless since they take so much effort to kill.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Raygereio posted:

Unless you're talking about a different bug, NPCs can still clip through the level geometry in certain areas and be lost forever, until you use a console command to teleport them back.
Craterside Supply is common spot to loose NPCs like this.

Out of curiocity I've been reading a couple FO3 and F:NV reviews next to eachother and some of them are both funny and sad.
A fallout 3 review will go on about how wonderful the game is, how gorgeous the graphics are and how compelling and engaging the story is. If bugs are mentioned, then they're just minor faults that do nothing to detract from game's wonderfulness.
The New Vegas review from the same source will say it's basically just another FO3 with nothing new added. Despite it being more of the same, the graphics "look dated" or are "underwhelming". The story is described as uninteresting and boring. Also because it's an Obsidian game, the bugs and glitches are utterly unforgivable (Nevermind the fact that Bethesda did the QA. Also bonus points if an allution to KotOR 2 is made).

Part of the problem with reviewing New Vegas is that the early section of the game is basically on rails, unless you know what you are doing. Consequently it takes a while for the game to really open up. The limited time reviewers have with these games really means they never got to the meat of the game before their deadlines. I mean you can go north from Goodsprings, but one wrong step and Deathclaws and Cazadores will be there to greet you.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

caleramaen posted:

Part of the problem with reviewing New Vegas is that the early section of the game is basically on rails, unless you know what you are doing. Consequently it takes a while for the game to really open up. The limited time reviewers have with these games really means they never got to the meat of the game before their deadlines. I mean you can go north from Goodsprings, but one wrong step and Deathclaws and Cazadores will be there to greet you.
Fallout 3's main plot is more on rails then New Vegas'. Sure, New Vegas pushes you more towards following the main quest then Fallout 3 does. But if a reviewer has limited time, then I think they're not that likely to go off exploring anyway because that would be wasting time. They're going to be following the main quest. And if you simply don't the time for a full playthrough, then I agree that New Vegas can come across as weaker. For starters, it doesn't have spectacle in its early main quest like Fallout 3.
If you follow the main quest in FO3, then roughly 2 hours or something after pressing new game, you'll be having a big shootout alongside BoS against supermutants and you get throw nukes at a behemoth. Also there are little things that can be viewed as spectacle as they feels like they were put in solely to impress: For example in the metrotunnel before that fight, there are a whole bunch of ghouls locked behind a gate. You can use a nearby computer to fill the area with gass and then ignite it the laser pistol that's conveniently placed nearby. I don't really recal any other instance in FO3 where you can do neat stuff like that.

Skyrim seems to follow a similar design filosofy as you'll be having a big fight with a dragon about an hour or so after you start the game if you follow the main quest. I guess it's working for Bethesda.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think a lot of the most memorable bits of New Vegas are in the DLCs. OWB has my favourite characters, the stories in all of them except maybe HH are pretty great, especially when viewed together, and there are generally larger, more impressive things going on. There's not a lot in the base game, at least that I'm aware of, that measures up to the giant roboscorpion or exploding nukes to clear out a building full of ghouls, surrounded by deathclaws. Dead Money feels closer to a survival game than anything after the first hour or so of the main game, by which point you're well stocked on ammo and stimpaks. I love the alternate reality fallout creates, but the structure of the game kind of restricts it, since it's a less focused experience with a world thats already explained, whereas in DLC they can stage it away from the main game, which lets them introduce all kinds of things that would never work in the Mojave.

I do wish there was a better implementation of the survival systems in the game. I know you can mod it all in, but the game is much more fun before jury rigging and stacks of thousands of every type of bullet imaginable, where you can't just run into every encounter and chug stimpaks while blasting away with the same weapon again and again. Once you get past the barrier of cazadores, there really aren't enough places to pick your fights, nor enough variety in those fights. There very little reason to change weapons apart from running across a unique variant of your weapon of choice, and the only things I've ever used the crafting system for are stimpaks when I underestimated how many I should take with me me for the DLC, and recycling energy weapons. The compenents to make bullets are usually far rarer than the bullets themselves, and most of the food you can make isn't particularly useful in most situations and the functionality is replicated by one of the chems you tend to have lots of. Addiction is pretty easy to cure, so chugging chems med-x and psycho for every fight isn't a massive problem. I feel like they missed a chance to turn the post-apocalyptic world into the survival experience it is for everyone else.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I dunno; some of my favorite moments were the little character touches you got in the vanilla story (when the trust points or whatever didn't bug out) with the vanilla companions. Little things, like taking Raul around to go see how people in the Mojave were dealing with old age. Or Veronica's reaction the first time she walks into the Silver Rush.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Fallout 3's main plot is more on rails then New Vegas'.
Not at the beginning it isn't. In FO3, you can leave the Vault and walk anywhere and not run into problems. While you can do that in FNV, its a lot harder, and you'll feel like you're forced to do the plot more. Unless you know what you're doing, FNV feels more on rails until you hit Vegas, and then it opens wide up, whereas FO3 never loses that roaming quality.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Ravenfood posted:

Not at the beginning it isn't. In FO3, you can leave the Vault and walk anywhere and not run into problems. While you can do that in FNV, its a lot harder, and you'll feel like you're forced to do the plot more. Unless you know what you're doing, FNV feels more on rails until you hit Vegas, and then it opens wide up, whereas FO3 never loses that roaming quality.

Did you forget the part where you are physically stuck inside the vault for several quests (how long does this take the first time, I forget, maybe 30-60 minutes?). In NV you can run off the instant your character is created.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Ravenfood posted:

Uhm, you can just loving ignore the entire plot of the game in F:NV, and run wherever. 2 paths you can take at the start are very dangerous (cazadores/deathclaws), but the other paths are very do-able to a starting player. You can head over to the jail to deal with the powder gang, Primm to deal with everything there, or just move on towards Nipton. You can head over to Hidden Valley to see what the BoS is up to. You can also go to one of the (IIRC) 3 shortcuts to get to Novac without taking the long route, or go explore whatever you want.

Or you can just follow the main quest and encounter lots of interesting things to do for the first few hours and then you'll reach Vegas with Boone & E-DE (probably), having some nice gear and enjoying the setting.

In FO3, there are a bunch of mandatory tutorials, dicking around in the vault for like and hour, and then you're set free. The quest points you towards Megaton to ask around, which is the same way New Vegas handles it. The difference: In New Vegas, 3 shortcuts or so are 'soft-blocked' by high level enemies, and in FO3 the map is wide open without any blockades so you can walk anywhere, but the world makes no loving sense at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Did you forget the part where you are physically stuck inside the vault for several quests (how long does this take the first time, I forget, maybe 30-60 minutes?). In NV you can run off the instant your character is created.
I think most people view that as the tutorial and expect that the gameplay will differ significantly once said tutorial is finished, and so don't count it in their initial impressions. In FO3, the game properly starts when you leave the Vault, since before then you're...alternately a toddler and a 6 year old. FNV's tutorial is less forced, certainly, and is more integrated into the base game, so while it isn't as linear, its also much harder to separate it from the rest of the game in your head.

edit: Oh for gently caress's sake. I said you can ignore the main plot if you want to in FNV. I prefer the soft-blocks in your way. The average new player isn't going to do that, though, because they'll hit their first cazador and come whining to the internet that they can't explore everywhere. That's not a bad thing. Saying that to most people, FNV feels more constrained than FO3 at first isn't some criticism that needs immediate defense, because it does. You say it yourself. Once you leave the Vault, you're pointed to Megaton and absolutely nothing gets in your way of going anywhere else. In FNV, a lot of things get in your way, even if they aren't completely insurmountable.

edit2: And while the NCRCF is a bit out of your way, citing Primm as something you can do before Nipton is a little weird, since the quest points you to Primm, has you walk through Primm, has you get shot at in Primm, and the road through Primm is roadblocked with mines and dudes shooting at each other and you in a way that very much says "hey dude, this looks interesting, you should check it out."

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 13, 2013

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ravenfood posted:

I think this really sums up why I couldn't get into FNV until my 3rd try whereas I could get into 3 without issues. Only after knowing abit about the game could I actually play it without feeling like there was nothing of significance to explore and anything of substance that you did find always left you feeling like you skipped an important phase and broke something. I mean it's still like that, if you do something you're not supposed to you're more likely to break something rather than end up with any advantage. Hell, I did it again on my current playthrough. I'd never taken Veronica before, and guess what! If you get the ARCHIMEDES rangefinder before the quest tells you to you'll gently caress things up so hard it'll take some consolefuckery to fix. Fallout 3 by comparison always felt stable, wholesome, polished and open. It's just everything else where FNV pulls the long straw. The way I feel about it in the long run is Fallout 3 is an Elder Scrolls game whereas New Vegas is a Fallout game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

I think this really sums up why I couldn't get into FNV until my 3rd try whereas I could get into 3 without issues. Only after knowing abit about the game could I actually play it without feeling like there was nothing of significance to explore and anything of substance that you did find always left you feeling like you skipped an important phase and broke something. I mean it's still like that, if you do something you're not supposed to you're more likely to break something rather than end up with any advantage. Hell, I did it again on my current playthrough. I'd never taken Veronica before, and guess what! If you get the ARCHIMEDES rangefinder before the quest tells you to you'll gently caress things up so hard it'll take some consolefuckery to fix. Fallout 3 by comparison always felt stable, wholesome, polished and open. It's just everything else where FNV pulls the long straw. The way I feel about it in the long run is Fallout 3 is an Elder Scrolls game whereas New Vegas is a Fallout game.

There are two other ways to finish that quest, no need for using the console. That's such an insignificant bug.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hra Mormo posted:

Fallout 3 by comparison always felt stable, wholesome, polished and open.

Did you play it on release? It had a nasty habit of crashing on most cell transitions for me, it got so bad I wouldn't even look at a door without quicksaving.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's always hard to compare stability because you can't really control for it anyway. That said, FNV vanilla 1.0 never crashed on me, full playthrough. FO3 same thing, uh, crashed a lot. And I know someone can post the exact opposite experience for them. We don't have aggregate numbers to really say for sure. FNV is better

e: also how exactly is Fallout 3 "wholesome" :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2013

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

There are two other ways to finish that quest, no need for using the console. That's such an insignificant bug.

What happened was having the rangefinder caused the scene with turning in the rangefinder to happen the very first time I take Veronica to see the elder. From this moment on the fact I had the rangefinder was never recognized again. When I went to the comm shack, Veronica asked me what I want to go get. Selecting the rangefinder option caused an infinite conversation loop. Eventually I just said gently caress it, and did the farming data instead. But lo and behold, bringing that to the elder didn't do jack poo poo and neither Veronica or the Elder had anything to say. I tried half a dozen fixes and the only thing that worked was using the console to force the conversation to happen. I still agree that it's an insignificant bug because Veronica's quest is insignificant in itself.

As for FO3 crashing alot at release, it had already recieved patches when I got I think. Also I'm not talking just straight up crashing either, but other weird glitches and poo poo. With wholesome I meant the Elder Scrolls feel where it doesn't matter what direction you pick, it always feels worthwhile whereas FNV can often feel (appropriately) barren. But as I said these were first impressions that made it harder for me to first get into FNV in comparison to FO3. FO3 I never played again after beating and FNV I've played through several times, so you have to keep that in perspective. It's not so much factual stability and wholesomeness as a percieved one.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Yeah, I was one who had a hard time getting into early New Vegas too (now, of course, it's one of my favorite games and Fallout 3 is borderline unplayable because of gameplay issues alone, like DR/DT).

I like the quest in Goodsprings, but other than that, the beginning is rough. Prim and the Mojave Outpost are pretty boring, Nipton is basically a cutscene and short dungeon crawl through the townhall, and the one quest that is kind of interesting, at the NCRCF, is hard to do because before it was patched all powder gangers shot on sight, and even now kill one or two and you're in the same boat. There's definitely interesting stuff off of the beaten path, but early on its hard to really get a handle on the game mechanics because anything tougher than a gecko is still going to gently caress you up, so even ignoring the deathclaws and the cazadores, the roaming bands of super mutants, feral ghouls and even random raider gangs (like the guys who ambush you near Nipton) will absolutely ruin your unprepared poo poo.

Like I said, I love the game but even now I mostly just bypass those areas on new playthroughs. The game doesn't really pick up until Novac, which seems like the classic little Fallout town/quest hub.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Hra Mormo posted:

What happened was having the rangefinder caused the scene with turning in the rangefinder to happen the very first time I take Veronica to see the elder. From this moment on the fact I had the rangefinder was never recognized again. When I went to the comm shack, Veronica asked me what I want to go get. Selecting the rangefinder option caused an infinite conversation loop. Eventually I just said gently caress it, and did the farming data instead. But lo and behold, bringing that to the elder didn't do jack poo poo and neither Veronica or the Elder had anything to say. I tried half a dozen fixes and the only thing that worked was using the console to force the conversation to happen. I still agree that it's an insignificant bug because Veronica's quest is insignificant in itself.

Fair enough, that sounds pretty bad.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Looking to pick this back up due to a LP bug biting.

However, speaking of bugs, has anyone resolved the "Cazador stings loving murder your followers" issue?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

OAquinas posted:

However, speaking of bugs, has anyone resolved the "Cazador stings loving murder your followers" issue?
You can create a script that clears the poison from followers, even make them use an Antivenom in the process if you want. I'm sure there are mods that do that on the New Vegas nexus.
According to the wiki followers will use Datura Antivenom to cure themselves.

Ravenfood posted:

Railroading has different aspects to it.
What I meant was that FO3's plot has has less freedom for you to do your own thing, has stupid crap like you getting captured in a cutscene, forces your character to say really dumb things, etc.
What you're talking about is having the freedom to say "Screw this, I'm going to walk in the opposite direction of my quest marker and see what's behind that hill over there". Both FO3 and New Vegas allow you to do that, but New Vegas really does make it more difficult in the early game and pushes you more towards following the main quest.
Though I don't see a little bit of railroading to get the story going as a bad thing per se.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 13, 2013

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MooCowlian posted:

I do wish there was a better implementation of the survival systems in the game. I know you can mod it all in, but the game is much more fun before jury rigging and stacks of thousands of every type of bullet imaginable, where you can't just run into every encounter and chug stimpaks while blasting away with the same weapon again and again.

Hardcore mode stops you doing this already

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Raygereio posted:

stupid crap like you getting captured in a cutscene
To be fair, two of New Vegas's DLCs start that way. The two best ones, even!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

2house2fly posted:

All of them start with a cut-scene (except the really tiny ones like GRA that don't add locations)?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

All of them start with a cut-scene (except the really tiny ones like GRA that don't add locations)?

Lonesome Road doesn't :eng101:

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Sleepy Owl posted:

Lonesome Road doesn't :eng101:

Oh I guess you're right. It's handy too because it's right next to Goodsprings and you're allowed to come and go, so you can duck in there and get some free late-game loot right off the bat without having to sit through the slide show.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Raygereio posted:

Both FO3 and New Vegas allow you to do that, but New Vegas really does make it more difficult in the early game and pushes you more towards following the main quest.
I was actually pushing players to work for rewards.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

2house2fly posted:

True. But New Vegas' instances of "captured in a cutscene" are presented better and are less clumsy then FO3's. For example getting gassed by a trap in Dead Money is less silly then The Pitt where you can get clubbed into unconciousness by a handfull of scrawny, underfed thugs, while wearing power armour.

Edit:

rope kid posted:

I was actually pushing players to work for rewards.
I never really looked at it like that. I always interpreted all the NPCs warning the player about the Deathclaws as you guys pointing to the south and going "Plot that way."

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 14, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Well, the warning is sincere, but we put a lot of effort into ensuring that the crit path works and makes sense even if you walk out of Doc Mitchell's house and head straight to New Vegas.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The critical path also isn't one single path, you can figure out some clues on your own instead of talking to all the NPCs and fixing Three-Dog's stupid radio. The different factions are all approachable from different directions, too. It's not just BOS=Saints, Enclave=Unrepentant Nazis.

Go work for the Powder Gangers. Join the Legion. Undermine NCR imperialism. Become a Kings gang member. Blow off Mr. House. Help the Khans evolve. Anything in between. They've all got tradeoffs and alternative paths don't seem goofy or always set the slider to the max in either direction although there are some good extreme solutions, too.

FO3 would've been more fun if you could say Project Purity was dumb and go do something else instead, or hook up with the Talon Company.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Hardcore mode stops you doing this already

Yes, but the rest of hard mode sucks and it still doesn't stop the problem whereby you always have healing, and it doesn't stop the problem that the ammo is still there. Stimpaks are still available, you just have to slow down a little, and there's enough ammo that even though you can't carry it around you've always got your choice of weapon and ammo there, it's just more annoying because you have to pick more up from your home base every few fights.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Fallout 3's world is more open than New Vegas' in the same sense that the wilderness between towns in Daggerfall is more open than it is in Morrowwind.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has anyone finished "We Will All Go Together" without cheating? The fetch quest with the ten dog tags? I never could find the ninth exterior one, even after twenty minutes searching. Eight are on hostile ghouls outside and one is on a non-feral ghoul hiding indoors, but the last is nowhere to be found.

For content:

While I don't enjoy Hardcore Mode I do appreciate the option to make a game more difficult without having to resort to buffing enemies' health and attack power. Instead of just having easy/normal/hard a game could also benefit with a custom difficulty. Say, you're given a rating which is high or low depending on which difficulty features you enable. Quest markers could be disabled, enemies could be more perceptive, skill checks display names but no numbers and stimpaks heal gradually rather than instantly. Basically a load of Hardcore features that can be switched on or off separately.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I just really like there being an actual use for food and water, enough so that I can't go back.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has anyone finished "We Will All Go Together" without cheating? The fetch quest with the ten dog tags? I never could find the ninth exterior one, even after twenty minutes searching. Eight are on hostile ghouls outside and one is on a non-feral ghoul hiding indoors, but the last is nowhere to be found.

I've never had any problems with it, so I'm betting Gamebryo glitched out and dropped a ghoul through the ground. There's supposed to be nine hostile ghouls spread out between each set of turrets, the church, the police station, and the fire station, if that helps.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Are you following the map markers? The last time I played this one of the markers was pointing somewhere completely wrong and I ended up stumbling on the last dead ghoul by accident.

Maybe you should search again? It might help to strip the armor off the ones you've already searched.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

I visit Camp Searchlight for one thing, Knock Knock. Then I leave it behind.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The tunnelers did indeed feel very off to me. The monster design seems quite swarmy and squishy but the things seem to be at least as tough as Deathclaws and hit like trucks. Shooting them with the flare gun is a blast but ultimately kind of pointless since they take so much effort to kill.

They've got 0DT so there's no need to worry that a shotgun or hollow point ammo might just bounce off like they would with a deathclaw's 15DT. If you ask me that makes them pretty easy, and I never even used hollow point ammo on them. If you really want them to just loving die, load up some hollow point 5mm in this bitch right here which isn't really all that hard to get if you've got something to snipe centaurs with. Which, by the way, if you use while standing, is a waste - crouch for easy sneak-criticals and one-hit kills on drat near everything from a mile away.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 14, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
0 DT puts regular-old shotgun shells in the mix too- which means that if you have something like the Riot Shotgun, or even Dinner Bell if you're not quite there yet (Riot Shotgun is a tier-5 spawn, but there's a guaranteed one on a guard in Gomorrah), you can really cut through a ton of them quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

While I don't enjoy Hardcore Mode I do appreciate the option to make a game more difficult without having to resort to buffing enemies' health and attack power. Instead of just having easy/normal/hard a game could also benefit with a custom difficulty. Say, you're given a rating which is high or low depending on which difficulty features you enable. Quest markers could be disabled, enemies could be more perceptive, skill checks display names but no numbers and stimpaks heal gradually rather than instantly. Basically a load of Hardcore features that can be switched on or off separately.

I remember Ropekid (A.K.A. Josh Sawyer) saying that Project Eternity would have a difficulty system similar to the one you're describing, where you can toggle the various difficulty options on and off. Although, I'll admit that I haven't been paying as much attention to the development of PE as I should.

Bastion also had a similar system where you could toggle the various difficulty options in between levels at your home base in between missions. (And just by mentioning Bastion, I now have That drat Song stuck in my head.)