Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chris Gaines posted:

I wish I had a good analogy for calling TNA the second most powerful wrestling company in North America.

It's a #2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

EugeneJ posted:

On the topic of "Faces of top US promotions who never worked for WWE"...

Would AJ Styles be a HOF candidate based on his work in TNA?

He's on the ballot for the first time this year. I think he's going to fall well short; while he's a great worker, he's not generally considered among the best in the world, and he really just means nothing in terms of business.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Nope.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

EugeneJ posted:

The answer is no.

You have no idea how angry that makes me.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What about Joe?

Drew TNA's largest buyrate with Angle. Classic match with Kobashi. Then he just kind of fizzled out and put a dick on his face.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

What about Joe?

Drew TNA's largest buyrate with Angle. Classic match with Kobashi. Then he just kind of fizzled out and put a dick on his face.

Has less than zero chance.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
In some mirror world where Joe spent the last seven years regularly having ****+ matches at the top of a somewhat healthy TNA and/or ROH, he'd be an interesting test case. In this world he had a really cool three or four year run and then turned into a portly above average worker in a meaningless promotion.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Samoa Joe's career would have had a better chance getting in if he had just disappeared off the face of the planet instead of going to TNA.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Samoa Joe's career would have had a better chance getting in if he had just disappeared off the face of the planet instead of going to TNA.

Vince Russo did more damage than he will ever know. :smith:

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if any of the TNA/ROH regulars that didn't hit it big in WWE would get in. I don't see AJ, Joe, Daniels or anyone else making it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rodney the Piper posted:

I don't know if any of the TNA/ROH regulars that didn't hit it big in WWE would get in. I don't see AJ, Joe, Daniels or anyone else making it.

Colt MIGHT, if only for the legacy he has on the indies. Not for a long time though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VogeGandire posted:

Colt MIGHT, if only for the legacy he has on the indies. Not for a long time though.

Colt has less chance than any of them. Colt has more of a chance to get in the WWE Hall of Fame.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is Rob Van Dam not in?

If the high-level ECW guys who had WWE runs (Van Dam, Sabu, Jerry Lynn) don't get in, I don't see how Styles, Daniels or Joe make it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

How is Rob Van Dam not in?

If the high-level ECW guys who had WWE runs (Van Dam, Sabu, Jerry Lynn) don't get in, I don't see how Styles, Daniels or Joe make it.

Never an elite worker, not a draw. It's really pretty simple.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

How has Jeff Hardy done in Observer Hall of Fame voting, or is he not eligible yet? I'd imagine if anybody from TNA is getting in, it's him.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

How has Jeff Hardy done in Observer Hall of Fame voting, or is he not eligible yet? I'd imagine if anybody from TNA is getting in, it's him.

Jeff was put back on the ballot last year in light of his more recent success and got so few votes that he was dropped again.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Who is the most questionably borderline inductee wrestler in the HOF? I don't see any names that jump out as ridiculous but I bet there have been some major debates about a few names.

I also think it's interesting that Kurt Angle is in based on (at the time) about 4-5 years of work. Did his Olympic credentials factor in or did everyone (correctly) just realize he was that good that quickly?

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 13, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Who is the most questionably borderline inductee wrestler in the HOF? I don't see any names that jump out as ridiculous but I bet there have been some major debates about a few names.

I also think it's interesting that Kurt Angle is in based on (at the time) about 4-5 years of work. Did his Olympic credentials factor in or did everyone (correctly) just realize he was that good that quickly?

The very same Kurt Angle is usually the one brought up. He was inducted too quickly and has probably been negative value since his induction.

Chris Benoit too but that's for other reasons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

The guys who were borderline for years and got in after they died are probably the answer. Guys like Dr. Death and Capt. Lou were not able to get in before hand but dying put them back in the spotlight.

Not sure about Angle's amateur stuff helping, he was such a great worker during that period it may not have mattered.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dr Death was like 7th or 8th in the hottest promotion in the world. And the guy that was 4th or 5th isn't in.

Makes it funny that there are two Steve Williams in the HOF, however.

If you have Observer subs, listen to the Observer radio show on Albano's life with Heyman it's fascinating. Paul's a huge fan and he's pretty much doing Lou now

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Bigass Moth posted:

If you don't consider MMA, Kazushi Sakuraba

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

No way Saku is in without his MMA accomplishments.

E: Looking over the list, Hase is a good one. drat good worker, but was never really a top guy.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 13, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Right, but PRIDE in Sakuraba's heyday was also unequivocally pro wrestling.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I dunno man, Coleman vs. Takada looked pretty legit to me.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I could see an argument being made for AJ Styles in the HOF if he helped draw in TNA, but nothing draws in TNA so his workrate isn't enough to get him in.

If Joe regularly did PPV buyrates like that one Lockdown with Kurt, I could see him going in. You could say Joe was on top during ROH's hottest time, couldn't you?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I could see an argument being made for AJ Styles in the HOF if he helped draw in TNA, but nothing draws in TNA so his workrate isn't enough to get him in.

If Joe regularly did PPV buyrates like that one Lockdown with Kurt, I could see him going in. You could say Joe was on top during ROH's hottest time, couldn't you?

I dunno about that, ROH seemed to draw their strongest consistently from 2007 to early 2009.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Joe has multiple 5 star matches, a couple signature feuds, and a strong buyrate for a company that's not exactly known for doing them. It's not the greatest resume in the world, but I feel like Joe still has some gas left in the tank for a strong WWE or Japan run before all is said and done. I think he does eventually make it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

triplexpac posted:

If Joe regularly did PPV buyrates like that one Lockdown with Kurt, I could see him going in.

I think we can pretty safely say that TNA is not and was never good enough or relevant enough for anything that anybody does there to help them get into the WON Hall.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Ted Dibiase sort of stands out as a dude who maybe doesn't belong with everybody else in HOF.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

david carmichael posted:

Ted Dibiase sort of stands out as a dude who maybe doesn't belong with everybody else in HOF.

Dibiases inclusion is probably more related to his Mid South work than his WWF stint. He pretty much carried the company during his second run there and was the top heel for most of it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

david carmichael posted:

He was, for a while, the top heel for the top drawing territory in the U.S., a very solid worker for about a decade plus, and had one of the greatest gimmicks ever (and performed magnificently in it). It's a not a slam dunk, but I get why he's in.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Price Check posted:

Joe has multiple 5 star matches, a couple signature feuds, and a strong buyrate for a company that's not exactly known for doing them. It's not the greatest resume in the world, but I feel like Joe still has some gas left in the tank for a strong WWE or Japan run before all is said and done. I think he does eventually make it.

I only know of one five star match he has. Other than Angle, what signature feuds? 35,000 buys one time isn't anything to write home about.

He won't make it.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

david carmichael posted:

DiBiase definitely belongs. He wasn't just the Million Dollar Man; watch his Mid-South stuff or his work teaming with Stan Hansen in AJPW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

tzirean posted:

I think we can pretty safely say that TNA is not and was never good enough or relevant enough for anything that anybody does there to help them get into the WON Hall.

Well it's kind of a catch 22

If someone WAS good enough to draw viewers to consistently watch TNA and pay for PPVs, even if it was nowhere near WWE numbers, would that be enough to help their HOF candidacy?

Or is it WWE-or-bust, if you don't make it in WWE in the modern era you're not HOF-worthy

Obviously TNA today isn't worth anything, but if they did have someone that MADE it worth something, I think that person would be looking better for the HOF.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

triplexpac posted:

If someone WAS good enough to draw viewers to consistently watch TNA and pay for PPVs, even if it was nowhere near WWE numbers, would that be enough to help their HOF candidacy?

Yes. But nobody fits this qualification.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ChampRamp posted:

I only know of one five star match he has. Other than Angle, what signature feuds? 35,000 buys one time isn't anything to write home about.

He won't make it.

He did a trilogy of matches with this CM Punk guy you might have heard of

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

I only know of one five star match he has.

I can only think of Joe vs. Punk and Joe vs. Daniels vs. Styles.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Surely he was in a King of the Hill five snowflaker right? :smug:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I can only think of Joe vs. Punk and Joe vs. Daniels vs. Styles.

It's those two + Joe v Kobashi.

I don't think he gets in either but let's not sell the guy short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

ChampRamp posted:

He won't make it.

The Punk feud helped save Ring of Honor in the wake of the Rob Feinstein scandal. It was with Joe as champion that ROH went from just another indie to the only one that really mattered.

His three five star matches are:

vs. Punk (their second ROH match)
vs. Kobashi (ROH)
vs. Christopher Daniels vs. AJ Styles (TNA)

That's more than Daniel Bryan, Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Eddie Guerrero and Jushin Liger...all of whom are pretty well accepted as some of the best workers of their respective generations.

I know 5 star matches aren't the be all end all, but it goes to show that Joe was one of the world's elite workers at one time.