Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

me your dad posted:

Do you all wear big headphones in public? I may be taking a job soon which will have me commuting via train. I know it comes down to 'don't worry about what others think', but I do worry about looking like 'that guy'. If nothing else Beats headphones have gotten people used to seeing bigger headphones and that's a good thing, but these are ATH-M50, which are a little larger and much less stylish.

The difference is that Beats don't count as headphones in those kinds of situations, they're basically jewelry/"bling" that people are wearing as status items (ie "I've got baller money so I can buy the most expensive poo poo there is whether it's good or not!"). I've worn huge headphones on commutes before and given no fucks, but I found that I prefer IEMs for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I occasionally wear my HD598s on longer flights/train rides because they're comfortable and don't murder my ears in searing pain, but they're open with bad isolation and don't grip too tightly, so they're a suboptimal choice for short commutes for reasons other than "oh no that 14yo with DRE beats might be judging me!".

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 28, 2019

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

Going on a 14-hour flight in a couple weeks, so I'm looking for a decent portable headphone amplifier to be used with an iphone 5. Searching on Amazon, I see a lot of FiiO brand amps, and the prices look decent, but are they actually any good? Recommendation for a specific model or brand would be very helpful. This one looks neat and I like that it can be used as a DAC as well, but something tells me it won't last long on battery power. The amp I get will hopefully be able to last for most of the flight. If I can get a decent one for about $100 I'd be very happy.

I'm also open to ideas for some IEM's that don't break the bank. I have some decent earbuds but the wire is starting to crack open so they won't last much longer. I'm partial to Grado so the GR8 is tempting, but $299 is more than I'm prepared to spend right now. Some suggestions in the $150-ish range would be appreciated!

What kind of headphones will you be using that necessitates the use of an amp? What is their load capacity and impedance?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is there anything in the 60-100 dollar price range that would be better then set of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106069
that I got for free? I was going to go shoppin' but then I got these.
Over ear, circumaurel if possible I just use these at home. Isolation is good because it's a noisy home.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 10, 2013

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 28, 2019

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

To be honest I probably don't actually need the amp, but I have noticed that the output on the iphone 5 I have isn't all that great, especially when it's cranked up (comparing it to my old ipod 5G), so I was thinking that using an amp with the phone driving the amp at about 1/4 volume would be more ideal.

Now that I'm thinking more about it though, maybe just brining the ol' ipod along with me and putting the amp money toward better headphones would be my best bet.

Isolation will have the biggest impact on perceived sound quality on an airplane due to high outside noise levels masking most notes to varying degrees. In the end it's up to you what you spend your money on, but if you have more questions we can help you bang out specifics :)

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 10, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Did anybody notice the following SA reference on Schiit's Gungnir FAQ? They're obviously goons:

Schiit Website posted:

"Gun-, uh, gung, um, I like guns, but how do you pronounce this?

Think goon-year. Like Goodyear, but with more SomethingAwful."

http://schiit.com/products/gungnir

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Did anybody notice the following SA reference on Schiit's Gungnir FAQ? They're obviously goons:

Interesting, I've never seen anyone from there post that I know of...good eye though!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Somebody update Saclopedia.

750 bucks for what looks like 4 PCBs and a few dozen caps? what

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Jose Pointero posted:

Going on a 14-hour flight in a couple weeks, so I'm looking for a decent portable headphone amplifier to be used with an iphone 5. Searching on Amazon, I see a lot of FiiO brand amps, and the prices look decent, but are they actually any good? Recommendation for a specific model or brand would be very helpful. This one looks neat and I like that it can be used as a DAC as well, but something tells me it won't last long on battery power. The amp I get will hopefully be able to last for most of the flight. If I can get a decent one for about $100 I'd be very happy.

I'm also open to ideas for some IEM's that don't break the bank. I have some decent earbuds but the wire is starting to crack open so they won't last much longer. I'm partial to Grado so the GR8 is tempting, but $299 is more than I'm prepared to spend right now. Some suggestions in the $150-ish range would be appreciated!

take a look at this http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifier/c-c-bh2-portable-headphone-amplifier-battery-amp.html i own one and it sound great, is the size of a credit card and has a ridiculous 80 hour battery life. i discovered it here http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm pretty sure they posted in the previous thread back when they were founding Schiit.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Elentor posted:

I'm pretty sure they posted in the previous thread back when they were founding Schiit.

Yep, the company's boss (I think it was him) was handing out goon discounts at one point.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is this a joke company? Schiit? Really?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I e-mailed Jason, the CEO, about that last night and it's confirmed, he is a good. Though he hasn't posted in a long time.

@protons, while I don't like the name either, they make some great products that look as good as they sound.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

I've always loved my Fiio E17.

More than loud enough, and it pulls double duty as a portable DAC, as well.

Battery life is no problem with it. I've used it on very long (10+ hour) car trips no problem.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E17-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0070UFMOW

Alternatively, if you're looking to blow your eardrums out:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038732625&MenuID=105026001

Edit:

This is a must have for flights, if only to keep your phone from dying:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=10392&seq=1&format=2

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 10, 2013

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
What the gently caress am I doing wrong? My last three sets of headphones (Today was the third) have all died with one or both of the cans just stopping audio unless you jiggle it just right and don't move. I'm not violent with them. They all live on my desk, with not pulling or anything. I don't nibble them or anything like that. I'm seriously considering switching to wireless headphones. Bad idea?

For reference my sets were two Sony HiFI or something headphones (The second replaced the first under warranty) and now my Sennheiser HD65TV set, which I bought specifically because, "hey, TV, that means it must be able to stand up to a tonne more abuse than I'll ever do!"

Alternately is there some way to get these fixed? I doubt I'd be able to open them up myself without breaking them.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe it's your source, not your headphones. Have you tried different sources?

I have a pair of Heir Audio 5.0 and a pair of Lear LUF-4B on the way. Can't wait to compare and review them!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

That was my thought as well.

Are the headphones' cables Y-shaped or I-shaped? You might be able to repair them, but it sounds like the problem is independent of the headphones themselves.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Budget - Ideally I'm spending around $80, but I can go a bit higher (120 is probably a hard cap) if I'm going to see huge gains in comfort or quality.

Source - Primarily an Onkyo TX-108, maybe my Galaxy S4 sometimes but primarily the receiver.

Isolation Requirements - None really, even if I bring them to work it won't matter much.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear or nothing basically.

Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced would be ideal, I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff so all the noises are important.

Past Headphones - I've currently got a pair of HD280 Pros. They are fine but a little too tight on my noggin, and I'd prefer something a bit lighter. I also do not particularly like their cushioning. I have used HD555s and prefer their fit. Sound wise they are fine I guess, I don't have much to compare them to.

Preferred Music - I listen to almost everything. Loads of classical/jazz, doom, pop stuff, and a bunch of slow bass heavy southern rap stuff.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The March Hare posted:

Budget - Ideally I'm spending around $80, but I can go a bit higher (120 is probably a hard cap) if I'm going to see huge gains in comfort or quality.

Source - Primarily an Onkyo TX-108, maybe my Galaxy S4 sometimes but primarily the receiver.

Isolation Requirements - None really, even if I bring them to work it won't matter much.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear or nothing basically.

Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced would be ideal, I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff so all the noises are important.

Past Headphones - I've currently got a pair of HD280 Pros. They are fine but a little too tight on my noggin, and I'd prefer something a bit lighter. I also do not particularly like their cushioning. I have used HD555s and prefer their fit. Sound wise they are fine I guess, I don't have much to compare them to.

Preferred Music - I listen to almost everything. Loads of classical/jazz, doom, pop stuff, and a bunch of slow bass heavy southern rap stuff.

Do you mean flat frequency response (i.e. all sounds the same volume) or do you mean even tracking (all sounds come in each channel at the same volume as they do the other)? There isn't such a thing as "tonal balance" in audio despite its presence in the audiophile lexicon. It's purely marketing-speak.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 11, 2013

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

WugLyfe posted:

Do you mean flat frequency response (i.e. all sounds the same volume) or do you mean even tracking (all sounds come in each channel at the same volume as they do the other)? There isn't such a thing as "tonal balance" in audio despite its presence in the audiophile lexicon. It's purely marketing-speak.

I donno man, I copied that poo poo straight out of the OP:

"Preferred Tonal Balance - Would you prefer bass heavy headphones? Maybe one focused on vocals? Maybe balanced? Let us know."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Removing the "tonal balance" from your post seems to indicate that you want something with a flat frequency response. Though those are fairly uncommon in that price bracket, you're going to be looking at things like the Sony MDR-V6 (and variants thereof), Superlux HD668B, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700/x, and maaaayybe the Koss PortaPro, though that last one isn't quite up to the mark. There's a somewhat narrow field of headphones below $200 with a flat frequency response.

If isolation will ever be important to you, the Sony MDR-V6 (and variants) are closed-back, while the others like the Superlux and Audio-technica are open. Those last ones will leak sound as well as let it in.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 11, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

WugLyfe, by balanced that means that no frequency is accentuated. Not necessarily perfect, but good enough. Something that doesn't focus on any frequency. Now a quick trip report.

Holy cow who knew TDK made good products? Someone recommended the TDK BA200 IEMs and my initial impressions are that at $120 on Amazon these are an absolute steal.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
You don't want balanced headphones, I thought the same thing and intentionally lost my Beyer T70. They make music sound so boring.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Midorka posted:

WugLyfe posted:

That was my thought as well.

Are the headphones' cables Y-shaped or I-shaped? You might be able to repair them, but it sounds like the problem is independent of the headphones themselves.

I have tried different sources and it's definitely the headphones. For shits and giggles I opened them up and the cabling inside is fine and I have to manipulate the actual cord to get sound indicating that the actual cable is screwed?

I got the shits up and went and bought new ones anyway. I ended up with Sennheiser HD280s. With an extended warranty thrown in for free because gently caress paying for another replacement.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Pudgygiant posted:

You don't want balanced headphones, I thought the same thing and intentionally lost my Beyer T70. They make music sound so boring.

Well I mean, that's just personal preference.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

That's what software equalization is for. Flat frequency response is much more flexible with proper EQ than v shaped or bass heavy cans.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KillHour posted:

That's what software equalization is for. Flat frequency response is much more flexible with proper EQ than v shaped or bass heavy cans.

Um.... no. There's a lot more that goes in to EQ headroom than just frequency response. Driver type, impedance and sensitivity as a start. Like, you're never going to EQ an Etymotic ER-4S in to a bass monster, even with suitable dampers.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I ended up more flush than I expected so I went ahead and got the AKG K701s. The Quincy Jones ed. were cheaper than the base model 701s though and the cord, in spite of the fact that it is totally hideous, is removable which is great because I have broken so many of those things. Here's hoping they sound alright.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just going to throw this out there: I produce a bit of music and also enjoy watching bands live. I think the idea of 'flat response' is loving insane. A good headphone should reproduce EVERYTHING so you can hear it properly, and that includes bass in the area of 40-60hz and also high end treble. Any live band will be pumping the bass and you can generally feel it.. that is the way the music was supposed to be heard.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't think anyone is asking for a "flat" that's synonymous with "dull." I think it's more thinking that there's a perfect "what goes in is exactly what comes out." Whether that's actually desirable in speakers or headphones for enjoyable listening is debatable.

Also, not everyone wants live band bass all the time. Lots of really good live recordings have the bass seriously rolled off to make them better suited for listening at home.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

redeyes posted:

I think the idea of 'flat response' is loving insane. A good headphone should reproduce EVERYTHING
I think you're muddying up ideas here - if you go for "audible experience", then a flat response (with external EQ to "bass boost" or "smile" to your hearts content if that's not already premixed into the source) is what you want - unless your vague implication is that those are somehow exclusive?

If you want a live experience that includes horrible mixing, tons of other crowd noise and the occasional beer shower, that's a bit beyond the scope of headphone specs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I see it like this: flat response phones generally mean lacking bass and high end treble and are supposed to be for mastering music tracks in a studio situation. These types of speakers sound like utter poo poo for actual music listening because they sound flat and dull compared to basically ANY consumer speakers or headphones.

IEMs are mostly used for music enjoyment but can also be used in a live situation (but probably not studio) as monitors for their instruments.

I just don't see anyone enjoying flat response IEMs or speakers. I guess they may exist but they are probably just fooling themselves into liking their super expensive phones.. like this:

quote:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

redeyes posted:

I see it like this: flat response phones generally mean lacking bass and high end treble and are supposed to be for mastering music tracks in a studio situation. These types of speakers sound like utter poo poo for actual music listening because they sound flat and dull compared to basically ANY consumer speakers or headphones.

That's exactly the opposite of what people expect when they see/hear a flat headphone. A flat headphone would have proper extension in the lows and the highs. No headphone will ever be truly flat though, because of how our ears take in sound. Perfectly flat would sound horrible. So when someone says flat they mean something that emphasizes no frequency. Maybe you like heavy bass, or what have you, but stop being ignorant, which is how you're coming off, and accept that some people do in-fact like a headphone that emphasizes no frequency.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 13, 2013

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

redeyes posted:

I just don't see anyone enjoying flat response IEMs or speakers. I guess they may exist but they are probably just fooling themselves into liking their super expensive phones..
Yep, you got me! Nobody could possible disagree with you and those who do are not only lying to you, but also to themselves.

jesus christ dude, this might work better if it sounded like you had any idea what you were talking about.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yep, you got me! Nobody could possible disagree with you and those who do are not only lying to you, but also to themselves.

jesus christ dude, this might work better if it sounded like you had any idea what you were talking about.

Calm down, notice how I said 'I'. Its my opinion, just like yours which is wrong.

quote:

So when someone says flat they mean something that emphasizes no frequency

Flat tends to also mean that they lack low bass and treble. At least in the studio equipment that I use.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 13, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

redeyes posted:

Flat tends to also mean that they lack low bass and treble. At least in the studio equipment that I use.

No dude, that's no what it means. And you're not stating an opinion when you talk condescendingly about others because your mind is too small to fathom that people could experience things differently than you. You're attacking them for having a different opinion.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 13, 2013

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Would you like to know more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

redeyes posted:

Its my opinion, just like yours which is wrong.
Hahaha, you're hilarious. You know what, go on making an ignorant fool of yourself, i'll just stand back and enjoy the show. :)