Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Price Check posted:

I know 5 star matches aren't the be all end all, but it goes to show that Joe was one of the world's elite workers at one time.

Right, but the time period was limited to perhaps 3-4 years at the outside, and it was mostly in a mid-level regional promotion. He's not really all that close and he'd need a run like that in a national or international level promotion to have even a significant case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
To tie this back into WCW, Buff Bagwell should be in the HOF if only because of his excellent top hats and entrance music.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I blanked out on the Punk stuff and the triple threat at Unbreakable, my bad. Those are great matches.

Akira Taue has like 14 five star matches and he isn't in. They aren't quite the greatest metric.

Someone make a hall of fame thread. The shining beacon of wrestling, WCW, doesn't deserve to be cluttered up with this discussion.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Huh, there was a WCW Hall of Fame:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCW_Hall_of_Fame

Edit: lol "Following the 1995 ceremony, Solie, who both inducted the wrestlers and was an influential figure in the selections, resigned from WCW in protest of Poffo's initiation,[5] feeling that management only inducted an unqualified person into the WCW Hall of Fame as a favor to Poffo's son, and one of the company's top draws, Randy Savage"

Dude took HOFs real seriously

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

Right, but the time period was limited to perhaps 3-4 years at the outside, and it was mostly in a mid-level regional promotion. He's not really all that close and he'd need a run like that in a national or international level promotion to have even a significant case.

True, but at some point the criteria is going to need to be adjusted to reflect the changes in the nature of the business in North America post-2001. Guys like Joe, Punk, Danielson, Low Ki, Daniels, and AJ helped revolutionize the way people thought of independent wrestling. It was no longer just a collection of ECW ripoffs, blood & guts promotions, and old-timers tours. It was where you went if you wanted to see fresh, innovative, great wrestling. In fact, it even managed to surpass Japan in that respect until the recent reemergence of NJPW.

It seems like people think that these workers will be penalized for emerging at the wrong time. I think it will eventually shake out as a net benefit for the top indie stars who may not have made it in WWE.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ChampRamp posted:

Someone make a hall of fame thread. The shining beacon of wrestling, WCW, doesn't deserve to be cluttered up with this discussion.

But WCW was home to noted ***** match-haver Horace Hogan.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Price Check posted:

True, but at some point the criteria is going to need to be adjusted to reflect the changes in the nature of the business in North America post-2001. Guys like Joe, Punk, Danielson, Low Ki, Daniels, and AJ helped revolutionize the way people thought of independent wrestling. It was no longer just a collection of ECW ripoffs, blood & guts promotions, and old-timers tours. It was where you went if you wanted to see fresh, innovative, great wrestling. In fact, it even managed to surpass Japan in that respect until the recent reemergence of NJPW.

It seems like people think that these workers will be penalized for emerging at the wrong time. I think it will eventually shake out as a net benefit for the top indie stars who may not have made it in WWE.

None of this is actually true, though? I mean I enjoyed watching indy shows and DVDs as much as anyone in this period, but it really in the grand scheme of things meant nothing, most of the workrate groups hemorrhaged money, and regional promotions have clearly been less important post-WCW/ECW folding than they have been at any point in territorial wrestling history.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Someone make a hall of fame thread.

Working on it now, actually.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Punchsport Pagoda > Wrestling Hall of Fame: Celebrating the Steroid Era

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

tzirean posted:

Working on it now, actually.

I'm voting for Glacier as the first PSP Hall of Fame Inductee.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bard Maddox posted:

First and only.

Ok, Wrath too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Price Check posted:

Guys like Joe, Punk, Danielson, Low Ki, Daniels, and AJ helped revolutionize the way people thought of independent wrestling. It was no longer just a collection of ECW ripoffs, blood & guts promotions, and old-timers tours. It was where you went if you wanted to see fresh, innovative, great wrestling. In fact, it even managed to surpass Japan in that respect until the recent reemergence of NJPW.

It's hard to compare Indies from the post-WCW sale to the territorial era, because the business is so different. It might feel like that period produced so much good stuff and so many stars, because we've been able to follow everything so closely because of the internet. It's so much more easy to read about it, buy DVDs/download matches, and find discussion forums.

Is this past Indie period superior to the era that saw the creation of ECW, and the rise of guys like Eddie/Dean/Jericho/Mysterio?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

jeffersonlives posted:

None of this is actually true, though? I mean I enjoyed watching indy shows and DVDs as much as anyone in this period, but it really in the grand scheme of things meant nothing, most of the workrate groups hemorrhaged money, and regional promotions have clearly been less important post-WCW/ECW folding than they have been at any point in territorial wrestling history.

But part of my point is that the territories system doesn't exist anymore. It's impossible to try to measure a guy like Joe or Steen against somebody from the early 80's as far as being a draw. You can't penalize a guy for something like that which he can do very little to control. Part of the argument against Sting is that he turned fans off from the product when he was the top guy. To me, that's more in the spirit of the "he's not a draw and therefore not a Hall of Famer" argument.

Look, I don't even know that I'd vote for Joe today given that his peak is probably a little too short. I just don't think he should be dismissed right away. I also think that the indies (especially ROH) will get a little more respect in future voting thanks to springboarding guys like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. The more nostalgia that people attach to that era, the better it will be for guys like Joe.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bard Maddox posted:

Can we have a person in the Hall of Fame more then once?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The territories don't exist anymore because they couldn't keep up. Their stars were bought out by either WCW or WWF, and they lost their local drawing powers. Without the ability to draw and turn a profit, they went under. Today shouldn't even be any different. Did Samoa Joe draw 1300 to Philadelphia every single time? Even if he did, he is still only drawing 1300. It's not reaching a significant userbase. Why? Because the product isn't hot enough, and the masses do not care enough to force the company into growth. There are still major draws that can be created in today's day and age, and it's been proven at the very least in New Japan. Tanahashi and Okada drew the highest paid gate for Tokyo Dome in YEARS. That company is slowly rolling on an upswing, with new talent and some fresh faces on top.

The whole purpose of defining a draw is a wrestler who can attract a good and sizable house to the venue, a wrestler who makes people want to buy the PPV or DVD, a wrestler who draws money into the company. A good draw does that in significant numbers. In the realm of Pro Wrestling, nobody really outside of WWE,NJPW, and AAA has really done that. You can blame it on the state of the business today, sure, but TNA has shown that it was, at least once, able to draw a (for them) fairly strong buyrate with a non-WWE Established talent (granted, facing an established WWE talent.) ROH in their peak was able to crack 10,000 PPV buys at least once. The potential is there, it's up to the booking and talent to capitalize and try to create growth. If you're unable to do that, then you simply are not a strong draw for your company.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

First and only.

Ok, Wrath too.

A PSP Hall of Fame is not complete without Jerry Flynn and I won't hear a single word of argument.

The PSP Hall of Fame ceremony also must be held in THE BLOCK.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I also think if a guy is truly at an elite work level for long enough that he would get in from the indies. I strongly believe, for example, that Danielson was a lock to get in if he had stayed on the indies at the established Bryan Danielson level through 2016 when he becomes eligible, and in many ways his WWE run may not even be a net positive yet because he really spent about three prime years not contributing a whole lot to his own case.

So it's more that a Daniels or a Joe just wasn't good enough for long enough to have a significant work rate argument in lieu of having not much else going.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Inaugural PSPHOF inductee has to be the Stro. I didn't even watch Mountain State and I know that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So is everyone in the WWE automatically a greater "draw" than anyone in the indies just by virtue of being in the WWE? They sell more t-shirts.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

So is everyone in the WWE automatically a greater "draw" than anyone in the indies just by virtue of being in the WWE? They sell more t-shirts.

Not really, but it's at least presently true that a top WWE draw is going to be more valuable than a top TNA or top ROH draw because TNA and ROH are both doing negligible business and really circling the drain.

This really isn't any different from saying that it's impossible to give Sting significant drawing power credit for 1990-1993 WCW because 1990-1993 WCW was drawing poorly and Sting was on top for a period where they probably should have went out of business.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Not to reopen this can of worms but to me, someone like, say, Kevin Steen who's really popular and has good matches, is more HOF-worthy than, say, Jey Uso.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

I also think if a guy is truly at an elite work level for long enough that he would get in from the indies. I strongly believe, for example, that Danielson was a lock to get in if he had stayed on the indies at the established Bryan Danielson level through 2016 when he becomes eligible, and in many ways his WWE run may not even be a net positive yet because he really spent about three prime years not contributing a whole lot to his own case.

So it's more that a Daniels or a Joe just wasn't good enough for long enough to have a significant work rate argument in lieu of having not much else going.

The fact of his training pedigree, his influence on wrestling in the independents, and the fact his talent was recognized enough that two of the three major Japanese companies (at the time) were willing to fly him over and put a title on him without a contract says a whole lot of something.

Karmine posted:

Not to reopen this can of worms but to me, someone like, say, Kevin Steen who's really popular and has good matches, is more HOF-worthy than, say, Jey Uso.

Steen would be considered "more worthy" because he was entrusted with a Top Level position, wheras Jey Uso is an interchangable pre-lim guy. It's not a knock on his wrestling ability or talent level, but at that slot, it's near impossible to really make any kind of dent in the business.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Karmine posted:

Sure, but nobody's making a HOF case for Jey Uso. The in/out line for modern WWE guys looks like it's going to settle somewhere in the Edge or Randy Orton range.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Sure, but nobody's making a HOF case for Jey Uso. The in/out line for modern WWE guys looks like it's going to settle somewhere in the Edge or Randy Orton range.

Now on top of this post, if PPV numbers and ratings somehow stay level or at least close to level with what the PPV numbers were doing with Cena, it'd absolutely lend a lot of credit toward Bryan and Orton's ability to draw, especially with such a barren undercard. These next few months are going to be very interesting and very telling without any really prior established top guys around to push PPV buys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rated RKO goes in no questions asked. There's like 21 world title reigns between them!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd be inclined to agree. I was just responding to the question about whether being in WWE makes you, by default, a better HoF candidate.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Bigass Moth posted:

First and only.

Ok, Wrath too.
Mortis...:smith:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LordPants posted:

Punchsport Pagoda > Wrestling Hall of Fame: Celebrating the Steroid Era

I had the same idea.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Price Check posted:

But part of my point is that the territories system doesn't exist anymore. It's impossible to try to measure a guy like Joe or Steen against somebody from the early 80's as far as being a draw. You can't penalize a guy for something like that which he can do very little to control. Part of the argument against Sting is that he turned fans off from the product when he was the top guy. To me, that's more in the spirit of the "he's not a draw and therefore not a Hall of Famer" argument.

Look, I don't even know that I'd vote for Joe today given that his peak is probably a little too short. I just don't think he should be dismissed right away. I also think that the indies (especially ROH) will get a little more respect in future voting thanks to springboarding guys like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. The more nostalgia that people attach to that era, the better it will be for guys like Joe.

An indie guy isn't going to get over based on drawing unless something unprecedented happens. If Steen were to never get a WWE shot, but he took ROH to where they were in 2007, selling out in NYC every two months, but this time in the Hammerstein Ballroom while dramatically increasing iPPV then you can say "This guy can't get a run in WWE due to his physique, but he certainly is a draw on a regional basis, on a level we haven't seen in 25 years!" If he could keep that up and combined with his in ring ability and you have a case. But let's face it, that isn't going to happen.

As has been said, Bryan would have a good chance to get in if he never went to WWE. WWE probably does help him on some level even if this Orton program is mishandled because it shows he can hang on the top level.

But a guy like Joe has no chance. His peak as a worker was shorter than Curt Hennig's and Hennig is not in. He's been better than Hennig was post-peak, but Hennig was able to perform on the biggest stage while Joe never has.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

HOLY poo poo SHUT UP ABOUT THE HALL OF FAME. lets talk some WCW.

what are some WCW era La Parka matches worth checking out?

Also, does anybody have a link to the promo videos where Raven is actually a rich kid? I've heard one where sandman is his neighbor and Kanyon takes a bump into the pool but I've only seen the one where Kanyon and Raven go to the mall. WHAT A MARK

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
What's the deal with Big Bossman in WCW? Why'd he change his name so much?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Der-Wreck posted:

HOLY poo poo SHUT UP ABOUT THE HALL OF FAME. lets talk some WCW.

what are some WCW era La Parka matches worth checking out?

Also, does anybody have a link to the promo videos where Raven is actually a rich kid? I've heard one where sandman is his neighbor and Kanyon takes a bump into the pool but I've only seen the one where Kanyon and Raven go to the mall. WHAT A MARK

The Raven videos are on youtube and dailymotion, I believe on their own but they are definitely there in the full shows they aired on.

As for La Parka in WCW, the best matches to check out would be his singles match with Juvi from 96 and the 8 man tag from Souled Out 98. There's also some great six man tags from December of 97 on Nitro. His best matches in WCW tended to be in multi man tags from late 97 through early 98.

The LA Park vs La Parka match from Triplemania is worth seeing from a few years ago, it's one of the best AAA matches of this era.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They called him "The Boss" to capitalize on having the Big Boss Man working for them. When the WWF complained, he became the Guardian Angel. Then he turned heel and that's a lovely name for a heel, so he went back to Big Bubba Rogers, which he'd used before joining the WWF.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

In his original run, he was Big Bubba Rogers, which was his gimmick everywhere before WWF.

WCW in 1993 brought him in as "The Boss" with the Bossman gimmick. WWF threatened to sue, so they changed him to "The Guardian Angel," cutting a deal with that organization to make him a good cop figure but somewhat different than Bossman, at least enough to avoid an intellectual property dispute. Eventually that went south and he just went back to being Big Bubba Rogers. Then when he came back to feud with Hall and Scott Steiner during the nWo Black and White period, they were in the "real names so we're shooting" era so they billed him as Ray Traylor.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

MassRafTer posted:

The Raven videos are on youtube and dailymotion, I believe on their own but they are definitely there in the full shows they aired on.

As for La Parka in WCW, the best matches to check out would be his singles match with Juvi from 96 and the 8 man tag from Souled Out 98. There's also some great six man tags from December of 97 on Nitro. His best matches in WCW tended to be in multi man tags from late 97 through early 98.

The LA Park vs La Parka match from Triplemania is worth seeing from a few years ago, it's one of the best AAA matches of this era.

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTXa8VsyJVM

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Then when he came back to feud with Hall and Scott Steiner during the nWo Black and White period, they were in the "real names so we're shooting" era so they billed him as Ray Traylor.

Yeah, I forgot he went back to his real name before returning to the WWF.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Found this fabulous quote in the July 8th 96 Observer:

quote:

WWF sent Mero & Sable, Undertaker & Paul Bearer and Shawn Michaels & Sunny to the New York licensing fair, and had a full blown media packet complete with a complimentary videotape and lots of space. WCW had a small bit of space as part of the Turner booth and had a one page piece of paper to hand out. Randy Savage and Glacier were there. When people asked who Glacier was, the TBS execs who had no idea just said he was one of "our biggest and most popular stars." Needless to say which group made the better impression, particularly since they were sending Sunny around the place in her cowgirl outfit and execs were following her into the booth.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Why didn't they just have Glacier do the Cryonic Kick?! Best finisher in WCW/nWo Revenge.

Also that licensing fair was less than a year after Nitro debuted. Not like you want to promote your major wrestling show going up against the WWF or anything.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 13, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

My favorite WCW moment, which somewhat relates to the Blood Runs Cold/Glacier stuff, was when they repackaged Adam Bomb/Wrath out of the Blood Runs Cold angle into an athletic big guy role and had him rip off about a four month winning streak squashing the jobber and jobber to the star crew on television, ostensibly prepping him to be a real, homegrown challenger to Goldberg. So of course since this was WCW, as soon as Wrath started getting over, Kevin Nash casually beat him with the power bomb in 4 minutes on his way to ending Goldberg's streak at Starrcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
How do you not know who Glacier is?!