Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Oh, um, I'm new to the games, and I've been starting/fooling around with Imperishable Night (I tried Ten Desires, but it bothered me that I couldn't auto-collect the ghost-things) and I still haven't been able to 1CC Easy Mode. Does anyone have any general tips for someone just starting out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Niel posted:

Oh, um, I'm new to the games, and I've been starting/fooling around with Imperishable Night (I tried Ten Desires, but it bothered me that I couldn't auto-collect the ghost-things) and I still haven't been able to 1CC Easy Mode. Does anyone have any general tips for someone just starting out?

Imperishable Night was the first game I made a serious attempt at a 1CC in too. Here are three mistakes I made:

1) I tried to learn with Magic Team. Don't do this. Use Border Team.
2) I kept dying with bombs left. Don't do this. Bomb early and often.
3) I quit as soon as I got a game over instead of practicing. Don't do this. Keep at it until you get a bad ending.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

For any game with spell practice, like IN, use spell practice.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Kheldragar posted:

Can anyone remind me how the multiplayer works for PoFV? I've always done it single, so I have no clue.

Assuming your game is up to date, you should have a program called adonise.exe in your PoFV folder. Run it and you're good to go. Make sure to set your control type to Full in the game's Option menu first though!

EDIT: Also let the game through your firewall. That is very important too.

Niel posted:

Does anyone have any general tips for someone just starting out?

Forget about a 1cc on your first shot. In IN it is literally impossible to get a Good ending on the first playthrough, so just get your Bad ending over with and unlock a higher life cap and Spell Practice. Those will help you through actually 1ccing the game.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 12, 2013

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012

Niel posted:

Try not to panic and move blindly about all over the place; doing that is a great way to get yourself killed, and many attack patterns require far less movement than you would think. It's also important to know how to stream bullets and how to cross over the streams so that you don't get trapped in a corner for situations like these.

Touhou games can be heavy on memorization, and the familiar system of IN in particular means that knowing the proper sequence of actions to take can often be the difference between clearing out the screen easily and being trapped under a wall of bullets. If you have trouble with something, it's often a good idea to check out replays or online gameplay videos―a lot of seemingly complicated attack patterns are actually surprisingly simple once you know the tricks behind them.

a busted-up mailbox fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 12, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Mick Swagger posted:

a lot of seemingly complicated attack patterns are actually surprisingly simple once you know the tricks behind them.

Imperishable Night actually has my favorite example of this phenomenon!

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

ProfessorProf posted:

Imperishable Night actually has my favorite example of this phenomenon!

I love finding these safe spots.

If only I could consistently maneuver into them for Kaguya's Last Spells.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Eh. Much as I enjoy IN Extra, Honest Man's Death is terribly designed. The lasers start looking like they have a hitbox a good eighth of the screen before they actually do.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HMS Boromir posted:

Eh. Much as I enjoy IN Extra, Honest Man's Death is terribly designed. The lasers start looking like they have a hitbox a good eighth of the screen before they actually do.

Well, of course. Would you expect a card named "Honest Man's Death" to not rely on deception?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The name doesn't change the fact that it's a bullshit card that relies on trial-and-error to figure out. There's absolutely nothing that indicates, oh if I move towards the laster it's not gonna kill me, so it's not even the good kind of puzzley spell card that makes you feel clever once you figure out a path through it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Niel posted:

- Don't set lives to maximum, play on default. Trust me on this. If you have a lot of lives you will get cocky and pay less attention to hazards.
- Study replays if you don't know how to do a pattern or a section of a stage or really anything that's bothering you.
- Seriously study replays and try to follow their movements. Do this until you can reproduce the movements well enough on your own.
- Play aggressively - try to kill off big enemies as soon as possible, by staying under them and getting close if possible for extra damage.
- There are a few basic things that bullet hell games rely on. One is aimed bullets - in Touhou games these bullets are aimed at the center of your hitbox so you can just keep making small taps in one direction and take care of these without flailing around the screen and crossing paths with potential hazards.
- Plot out a path in your mind before you start moving. DON'T MOVE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO (e.g. if there's a bullet coming towards you or if there's an enemy you want to get under)
- Don't try to avoid bullets, try to go into the gaps in between them.
- If there's a dense cloud of bullets coming towards you, get close to the edge of the danger area and keep tapping down, then fit through gaps as they appear. Avoid sticking to the bottom at all costs.
- Learn the uses of both focused and unfocused movement - do not stay focused the entire time.
- Don't look right at your character. Look ahead for things which are going to intercept your path and figure out how to get around them.

Really it's all memorization-based in the end.

I know a guy who started out Touhou games by watching this video and pretty much grinding out the Extra stage. (Now he's a ridiculously good player, like RIDICULOUSLY good.) It might seem overwhelming but being able to turn memorization into consistent execution will make your skill level increase very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhg81Xv5Is
Watch this replay and pay attention to the details - it will teach you the game's logic.

He also has a walkthrough of IN Normal mode here which may be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0mFyMVDc7M

Uh, the rest of it is sort of hard-to-explain stuff that will come to you as you get better.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 12, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Unless anyone desperately wants to sign up or has any objections we may as well start the PoFV tournament this Sunday.

\/\/done

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 12, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Namtab posted:

Unless anyone desperately wants to sign up or has any objections we may as well start the PoFV tournament this Sunday.

Hell, I'll sign up; gives me a reason to play PoFV. Now if only I could figure out how to add myself to that list. :negative:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

You know what, if we're playing this Sunday, and if I can figure out how to play online, then gently caress it, I'm down too.

I know all characters are technically allowed, but what characters are considered sportsmanlike/fair?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Reimu and Shikieiki are the ones usually pointed to, but honestly quite a lot of characters have ridiculous patterns.

What people should do is play Youmu, the working class heroine. Resist the temptation to join the spell-slinging bourgeoisie and cut through the walls of danmaku oppression! (if you're dashing forward while releasing a level one it will clear quite a lot of the screen)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

I know all characters are technically allowed, but what characters are considered sportsmanlike/fair?

Sakuya, Mystia, Lyrica, and Tewi I guess? Every character has some crazy poo poo going for them on some level, but those four are probably the most balanced.

Really as long as you don't use the big two, you're good on the "not being an rear end in a top hat" front.

EDIT: V Human players are very different from the AI, so don't expect versus mode to be a good test of how well a character will perform!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 13, 2013

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I played Reimu through the story and promptly got my rear end handed to me/had to use a continue at Aya's stage. I was able to get to Shikieki before I lost all my continues (which we on her.) On versus, I tried Aya, but she was way too fast. I'm guessing Reimu is considered an rear end in a top hat choice? :ohdear:

VgameT
Dec 31, 2007

therefore I only muttered "neu"

Namtab posted:

\/\/done

Two questions: a) which difficulty are we playing on, and b) why not do best of 3 matches instead of a single match?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Pretty sure we're playing it fast and loose here. The two opponents decide on a difficulty and they get to decide the victor after one or three or a hundred and one matches if they want to.

Basically it's an excuse to get people to play video games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So apparently ZUN's coming to the US in two weeks? And he's made some autographed merch.

I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity whoever ends up with a wall-eyed autographed ZUN art Tenshi shirt. Probably both.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

You know what, if we're playing this Sunday, and if I can figure out how to play online, then gently caress it, I'm down too.
Added

CuddlyZombie posted:

VgameT posted:

Two questions: a) which difficulty are we playing on, and b) why not do best of 3 matches instead of a single match?

a cartoon duck posted:

Pretty sure we're playing it fast and loose here. The two opponents decide on a difficulty and they get to decide the victor after one or three or a hundred and one matches if they want to.

Basically it's an excuse to get people to play video games.

Yup, fast and loose. You and your opponent choose a difficulty before a match, and decide how many matches you want to play/how many practice matches you play before starting. You can make it best of 3 matches if you want.

You can play as any character you want, but again if you and your opponent decide to ban Reimu for your match that's up to you.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

HGH posted:

So apparently ZUN's coming to the US in two weeks? And he's made some autographed merch.

I'm not sure whether to laugh at or pity whoever ends up with a wall-eyed autographed ZUN art Tenshi shirt. Probably both.

New gym shirt spotted.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HGH posted:

This is loving rad because there is not a whole lot of ZUNart Tenshi.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

HGH posted:

This is the official shirt of the con, limited edition, limited stock. Also, this is the first time ZUN has ever something like this for an event, so this is a big deal.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
I would definitely buy it to put in my "shirts I can never wear in public" pile.

versus fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 13, 2013

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Tenshi would feel like she's heaven in Georgia. Or possibly Pennsylvania.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It should be obvious that Tenshi was chosen for the shirt because of the peaches, but apparently the phrase he wrote is a proverb that says something like "peach trees don't talk, but trails naturally form under them", which means "people who don't promote themselves will become respected by their own virtues." So basically it's a joke about how Touhou became popular in the West even though ZUN's never done anything. Also peaches. I'm currently thinking that he chose this convention just so he could make that joke.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

Added

Yup, fast and loose. You and your opponent choose a difficulty before a match, and decide how many matches you want to play/how many practice matches you play before starting. You can make it best of 3 matches if you want.

You can play as any character you want, but again if you and your opponent decide to ban Reimu for your match that's up to you.

Hey Namtab, how is it going to be organised? As in things like what time it starts, where you gather everyone who is participating, etc.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

It should be obvious that Tenshi was chosen for the shirt because of the peaches, but apparently the phrase he wrote is a proverb that says something like "peach trees don't talk, but trails naturally form under them", which means "people who don't promote themselves will become respected by their own virtues." So basically it's a joke about how Touhou became popular in the West even though ZUN's never done anything. Also peaches. I'm currently thinking that he chose this convention just so he could make that joke.

Since you mention that: I don't know anything about anything when it comes to anime conventions. Why did ZUN pick this one? Is it especially highly-regarded, or what?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

There's also like a dozen breweries within a 10 mile radius of that convention center.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh. That explains everything.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

There's also like a dozen breweries within a 10 mile radius of that convention center.

There are tons of breweries on the west coast, too. :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hedera Helix posted:

There are tons of breweries on the west coast, too. :(

I guess he's just not into hip microbreweries, artisanal coffee, or organic local fusion cuisine. :v:

Also, there are no Touhous with oranges, salmon, or pine tree themes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

If I were going to that, I'd dress as Viking Cirno. With sunglasses.

also, this was way too obvious and yet I still guffawed when I saw it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

Hey Namtab, how is it going to be organised? As in things like what time it starts, where you gather everyone who is participating, etc.

This is a great question that we completely forgot to address. :doh:

First off, this isn't going to be some kind of professional thing where everybody logs on at the same time and shoot each other until somebody wins. Rather, once the tournament begins it's up to you to contact the person you're matched against and get your match done. Report the results (and send a replay) to either me or Namtab (I'll get to how to do that in a moment), and you're done. Each round of the tournament will last two or three days, so if your opponent has a scheduling conflict don't get too stressed out. And if you end up in a situation where you absolutely can't have a match, the person with the more flexible schedule will advance.

Alright, contacting each other. Ideally all of you would just join the hamachi group since then we could use the built-in chat, but we understand that people have their preferences with regards to communication. So just put that next to your name in the roster!

Final note: for anybody worrying about if they can get netplay to work, log on to #touhouLP on synIRC and I'll try to help you through it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh, here's something I keep forgetting to ask.

What does everyone do for Seija's flip cards? I find that if I spend the first 2-3 seconds just going left-right-left-right (and respectively up-down-up-down) my brain adjusts to the flipped controls and stays that way as long as I keep moving, so I just do a little jig at all times to keep myself in the reverse zone.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, I do the same - stick mostly to horizontal movements, which are flipped when the screen is flipped horizontally, but are not flipped when the screen is flipped vertically. I also try to do the normal Touhou things of reading ahead (either up or down the screen) and trying to find areas where fewer bullets are congregating, and head into there. And, well, I can always just bomb them if the bullets seem to be walling me in.

Her last card is usually a non-issue since I basically just forcefully pretend the screen rotation never happens and just keep doing whatever I was doing beforehand (being sure not to run into the edge of the screen, or go too fast and run into the spiral wall ahead of me). It's still tricky sometimes, especially since I swear one time out of fifty she actually reverses the direction of the spiral wall while she's still shooting it.

So, after I practiced those cards a bit, I now try to save my bombs for her midboss attack Reverse Needle, and her second-to-last attack Reverse Bow, which I basically bomb the second I don't like the bullet spreads.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Is it just me, or do bosses seem to get easier in PofV the more you lose to them? It's as if it takes less time for them to get hit, but I can't tell if the bullet patterns change too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes, Rank in PoFV drops significantly every time you lose. Bosses also start with lower timers in Extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I usually get to stage 7 in POFV before I start to get my first death; sometimes in stage 6 versus Tewi, since I play Sakuya, if I'm unlucky. Komachi and Shikieiki still beat me pretty bad, but I can usually beat Komachi with 1/2 losses. :negative: How do you deal with Medicine's poison clouds!?