Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't really follow wrestling anymore but I know enough to find Botchamania hilarious.

They show a lot of stuff from CZW. It looks like the stupidest most dangerous poo poo I've ever seen. How dangerous is wrestling in thumbtacks, barbed wire, etc? Is it still popular in Japan?

Deathmatch wrestler is less dangerous than it appears, but still plenty dangerous. In the past year's Tournament of Death in CZW, Lucky tHURTeen had his back utterly gashed by a light tube and was just bleeding everywhere - so they bandaged his back up and he wrestled for 10 more minutes. People do get hurt, but you'd expect a lot more serious injuries.

Big Japan Pro Wrestling is a fed where the main event is almost always a deathmatch, and they do some talent trading with CZW. The big difference between the two companies, however, is Big Japan has a lot of really loving good wrestlers, while CZW... well, they still have Drake Younger I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

AR Fox is the CZW TV champion.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

They have TV?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I have never cared enough to confirm it. The TV title has a film strip which makes me unreasonably mad.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Can anyone recommend me some good Goldust matches? A friend of mine recently decided they loved him after seeing him on Raw this week as part of the "best for business" angle and asked me to find some of his old stuff. I was only a kid when he was peaking, so I don't really remember what his high points were.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Goldust matches? A friend of mine recently decided they loved him after seeing him on Raw this week as part of the "best for business" angle and asked me to find some of his old stuff. I was only a kid when he was peaking, so I don't really remember what his high points were.

The Wrestlemania 12 match with Piper is a lot of fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Frankenstein Dad posted:

The Blacktop Bully vs Dustin Rhodes in a King of the Road match from Uncensored 95. It is not a good match, but one that needs to be seen to believe

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Goldust's run with Booker T in the early 2000s was amazing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27z2d_booker-t-meets-goldust-in-supermark_fun

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It's at the tail end of his career, but his series of matches against Sheamus on WWECW were pretty drat good.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Goldust's match against the Warrior is the 4' 33" of wrestling- he was injured and the entire match is just them walking around the ring for eight minutes.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Where did the New Jack gimmick of playing his entrance theme during his matches originate from? I've tried to watch some early ECW matches of him, but they always cut the song off. After he went solo, the practice was already in place.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Both of his matches with Sheamus from ECW/Superstars. Good psychology, good finishes, good brawling. His time in WWE'S ECW in general seemed to light a fire under his rear end, he worked really hard and seemed to enjoy working with the younger talent. Also, Black Gold (his team with Booker T) regularly was the highlight of RAW and PPV's when they were together. In particular, the match where they they faced the un-Americans for the tag team championships at Summerslam was quite good. The match where he beats Razor for his first IC title is good too, very psychology heavy (if I'm remembering the right match, I might be thinking of the rematch).

When I stop and think about it, them being a team, with one feeling he's the weak link and them agreeing to go their separate ways but not turning on another, while the better worker of the two chases the world title is sorta similar to Team Hell No.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 13, 2013

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jake Soo posted:

Where did the New Jack gimmick of playing his entrance theme during his matches originate from? I've tried to watch some early ECW matches of him, but they always cut the song off. After he went solo, the practice was already in place.

I know there were some Gangstas matches in ECW where the song played until it was over, so it's probably something they just decided to start doing one day.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

What happened to the wrestling book thread? I could have sworn there was one. I wanna talk about Hardcore Holly's book and I want to see if Jimmy Korderas's book is any good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I liked the Undertaker/Goldust casket match back in the day. I'll have to watch it again, but I remember loving the finish.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

What happened to the wrestling book thread? I could have sworn there was one. I wanna talk about Hardcore Holly's book and I want to see if Jimmy Korderas's book is any good.

It's been archived.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2758664

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

John Cena posted:

They have TV?

They had a show on public access back in the day, don't know if they still do

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Tarodia posted:

They had a show on public access back in the day, don't know if they still do

wasn't it called Fake You! TV? what a dumb name

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tato posted:

It's at the tail end of his career, but his series of matches against Sheamus on WWECW were pretty drat good.

I think it goes without saying that if somebody was in the ECW revival, they probably had surprisingly good and enjoyable matches/feuds.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WWECW was basically proto-NXT-plus-Christian after all the ECW originals left, so it's not all that surprising.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

I'm actually planning on making a book thread next week sometime, if my schedule allows it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Has there ever been a Fencer gimmick in pro wrest.? I am pretty sure WWE never had one at least

I would cheer for a fencer who has decided to branch out and become the heavyweight professional wrestling champion of the world.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Has there ever been a Fencer gimmick in pro wrest.? I am pretty sure WWE never had one at least

I would cheer for a fencer who has decided to branch out and become the heavyweight professional wrestling champion of the world.

There was Cryme Tyme.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

The closest approximation I can think of is the British version of Kendo Nagasaki.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm watching a old Vader VS Cactus Jack match from WCW Saturday Night in 1993

Did Tony Schiavone call WCW Saturday night by himself or did the WWE edit out who ever was calling with him? Sidenote, I forgot how much Schiavone sucked.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm watching a old Vader VS Cactus Jack match from WCW Saturday Night in 1993

Did Tony Schiavone call WCW Saturday night by himself or did the WWE edit out who ever was calling with him? Sidenote, I forgot how much Schiavone sucked.

He was probably calling it with Ventura, they cut Ventura out of commentary whenever they can.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

MassRafTer posted:

There was Cryme Tyme.

Masterful.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

MassRafTer posted:

He was probably calling it with Ventura, they cut Ventura out of commentary whenever they can.

That's interesting. Why do they do this?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What can you guys tell me about the Shockmaster? Who thought it was a good idea to put a guy in a bedazzled Stormtrooper mask?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Perfidus posted:

That's interesting. Why do they do this?

I think the WWE has to pay royalties to him every time they use something with him in it? I forget why though.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

BigRed0427 posted:

I think the WWE has to pay royalties to him every time they use something with him in it? I forget why though.

Ventura sued them and won.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Smoking Crow posted:

What can you guys tell me about the Shockmaster? Who thought it was a good idea to put a guy in a bedazzled Stormtrooper mask?

I wonder this as well, because even if he DIDN'T trip and fall on his face, I can't possibly think he would've been taken seriously. Especially with that Cookie Monster voice.

I want to say it was probably a rib by Kevin Sullivan on Fred Ottman, but given the other WCW gimmicks at the time, it might have actually been Just That Bad.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Supreme Allah posted:

Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46duiLNlRI4&t=163s

MassRafTer posted:

There was Cryme Tyme.

Dang.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder this as well, because even if he DIDN'T trip and fall on his face, I can't possibly think he would've been taken seriously. Especially with that Cookie Monster voice.

I want to say it was probably a rib by Kevin Sullivan on Fred Ottman, but given the other WCW gimmicks at the time, it might have actually been Just That Bad.

I'm pretty sure the Shockmaster gimmick was Ole Anderson's brainstorm, and most of Ole's booking assumed that the current year was still 1970, so there you have it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Shockmaster almost seems like the type of gimmick Jerry Lawler would have come up with in the 80's to do a quick hotshot of the title with, like Lord Humongous, Bota the Witch Doctor, or Tarras Bulba. Except he was a face, and an even worse worker than those guys.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Shockmaster almost seems like the type of gimmick Jerry Lawler would have come up with in the 80's to do a quick hotshot of the title with, like Lord Humongous, Bota the Witch Doctor, or Tarras Bulba. Except he was a face, and an even worse worker than those guys.

I liked the Earthquake Tugboat TYPHOON tag team. Especially the disdainful crushing of jobber team as they walk over a poor guy one after the other. I was also seven.

Who was behind the La Parka and Psychosis(?) dub over promos in WCW? I loved me some skull daddy, even if La Parka will forever be the chairman of my heart.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Were there ever any Jakked/Metal matches that could honestly be said to be three stars or higher? I've been reading through the match results for the various shows and it's remarkable how boring I remember the matches being, even as a grade schooler.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So years ago, during the 'Drunk Hawk' angle, Hawk walks out to ringside in the middle of the match. He stumbles over to the announcers' table, puts on a headset, and says something like "Hey Jerry, remember that time at the Mid-South Coliseum you told me not to sell your piledriver?" on live air.

I was always confused as to why they'd say stuff that, at worst, could expose the business, or, at the least, just went over everyone's heads.

Q: So did anyone get in trouble for that comment?
Q: What were some other inside-reference comments/references that have made it on the air since then?
Q: Was this after Vince pretty much admitted the business was all a work?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Wouldn't this have been right around when Russo was on creative? Because, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Red posted:

So years ago, during the 'Drunk Hawk' angle, Hawk walks out to ringside in the middle of the match. He stumbles over to the announcers' table, puts on a headset, and says something like "Hey Jerry, remember that time at the Mid-South Coliseum you told me not to sell your piledriver?" on live air.

I was always confused as to why they'd say stuff that, at worst, could expose the business, or, at the least, just went over everyone's heads.

Q: So did anyone get in trouble for that comment?
Q: What were some other inside-reference comments/references that have made it on the air since then?
Q: Was this after Vince pretty much admitted the business was all a work?
Nobody got in trouble, totally part of the script. This was well after Vince admitted it was a work, and at the height of Russo booking. Russo basically booked things as if everyone knew and constantly acknowledged that it was a shoot.

For other inside references on air, look up Kevin Nash doing commentary on Thunder on his last day as booker. He's just blatantly saying stuff like "I don't remember what I booked here." or "When you see a video package of a guy, you know he's going over."