Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I've liked Amon Amarth for a while.

But I only just got Twilight of The Thunder Gods.

Goddamn that's a good album. It's definitely a step up over pretty much everything else they've done.

I think they've had a pretty good career and seem to be constantly yet slowly evolving and changing their sound. Their first album doesn't quite sound like the slower pace of Versus the World which in turn doesn't quite sound like the more modern Twilight and Surtur Rising.

I'm really excited for Tyr's new album which came out today I believe. Definitely one of my favorite bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

nerve posted:

Disillusion

Everything they released is Gold Standard. So disappointing that they didn't continue on productively.

Anyone and Everyone needs to get the Three Neuron Kings EP, Back To Time Of Splendor LP, and the contentious Gloria LP (my personal favorite).

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 14, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Olibu posted:

I think they've had a pretty good career and seem to be constantly yet slowly evolving and changing their sound. Their first album doesn't quite sound like the slower pace of Versus the World which in turn doesn't quite sound like the more modern Twilight and Surtur Rising.
Riff-wise, Once Sent from the Golden Hall is the best thing they've ever done, enhanced tremendously by Martin Lopez's totally frantic drumming. I wish they would release a version with rerecorded vocals from Johan, because he's by far the weak link on that album. He didn't really come into his own until The Crusher or so.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

nihil morari posted:

Everything they released is Gold Standard. So disappointing that they didn't continue on productively.

Anyone and Everyone needs to get the Three Neuron Kings EP, Back To Time Of Splendor LP, and the contentious Gloria LP (my personal favorite).

I'm disappointed that they haven't had new material either. I don't like Gloria as much, but there are some ace songs on there and I would have loved to see where they went next, instead of doing almost nothing for two-thirds of a decade.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Riff-wise, Once Sent from the Golden Hall is the best thing they've ever done, enhanced tremendously by Martin Lopez's totally frantic drumming. I wish they would release a version with rerecorded vocals from Johan, because he's by far the weak link on that album. He didn't really come into his own until The Crusher or so.

I thought there was some live recording where they did the play the whole thing, but I guess I was making it up in my mind. I really should get around to watching their DVD set that I bought.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Olibu posted:

I'm really excited for Tyr's new album which came out today I believe. Definitely one of my favorite bands.

It's streaming here.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I'm really digging this.

They kind of lost me for a while with By the Light of the Northern Star and The Lay of Thrym, but I'm really liking this again. Maybe it's just because I took some time off from them after listening to them so much. I'll have to go back and see.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Olibu posted:

I thought there was some live recording where they did the play the whole thing, but I guess I was making it up in my mind. I really should get around to watching their DVD set that I bought.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

That would be the 2008 Bloodshed Over Bochum concerts, where they played their first 4 albums in their entirety on four consecutive nights. The audio from those gigs comes on each of the respective Reissues of those albums, and the video from all the gigs is on the DVD with the special edition of Surtur Rising.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Misogynist posted:

You kidding? I love Johan's vocals on that album, he just sounds so loving into it.

Last night I dreamed that I was playing a concert with Manowar, Dio and Samuel L. Jackson. Just thought I'd mention it.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm really digging this.

They kind of lost me for a while with By the Light of the Northern Star and The Lay of Thrym, but I'm really liking this again. Maybe it's just because I took some time off from them after listening to them so much. I'll have to go back and see.

I just listened to it myself. The first track felt completely out of place to me, but the rest of the album shaped up well. It seems they're continuing with the style from those two albums, but I had hoped a bit of what they did on Land would come in to play. I can't say I'm entirely impressed by the album, but I also didn't love Thrym at first as well.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
So is Mare of My Night Heri's admission of/apology for his rumored affair?

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 16, 2013

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in like forever and as you might guess, I'm back because I need something from you. Honesty is good. My band put out an album and I think you'll like it if you're into Slough Feg, Manilla Road, or obvious stuff like Iron Maiden. Lots of guitar harmonies with a balance of heavy and melodic stuff. Think late 70s/early 80s metal before everything was super defined. (but we are still influenced by modern stuff as well) The link below takes you to bandcamp. You can listen to the whole thing there and buy it for 7 bucks if you like it that much. Either way, effluvious praise welcomed and harsh criticism tolerated.

Children of the Reptile - Children of the Reptile

Saw the goon reviews, enjoyed the first 3 tracks, bought.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Gorilla Radio posted:

So is Mare of My Niight Heri's admission of/apology for his rumored affair?

I thought it was about having sex with a horse. Did he have an affair with a horse?

The duet is terrible but the rest of the album is pretty solid. Not my favorite, but good enough. T-Bozz Factor, I'm buying your album the second I get paid.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Pig Destroyer has a single on the Adult Swim site.
http://video.adultswim.com/music-videos/2013-adult-swim-singles-pig-destroyer-the-octagonal-stairway.html

It actually sounds more like Prowler in the Yard than their last few releases, so that's a plus.

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Von Sloneker posted:

Pig Destroyer has a single on the Adult Swim site.
http://video.adultswim.com/music-videos/2013-adult-swim-singles-pig-destroyer-the-octagonal-stairway.html

It actually sounds more like Prowler in the Yard than their last few releases, so that's a plus.

Yeah, I think Adam Jarvis' speed capabilities has sort of thrown the sound of the band back to a more pure grind sound, although Hull's riffs are still ridiculously thrashtastic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I've liked Amon Amarth for a while.

But I only just got Twilight of The Thunder Gods.

Goddamn that's a good album. It's definitely a step up over pretty much everything else they've done.

Eh I dunno, I was really into them in the early 2000s when Versus the World came out but everything since then has sounded really, really similar to me. Obviously if you play the latest album and an earlier one side by side there has been an evolution but eh. I think I'm getting deep into my "loving kids music was better when I was younger" phase, because I remember people back then telling me my taste was poo poo for liking them and not listening to Heartwork instead.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just getting to the Grave Miasma stream now. This poo poo is fantastic.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Just found out that Devonera, a band a good friend of mine used to be in has reformed, they're from Adelaide so they'll be lucky if anyone notices.

Two tracks you can listen to:
http://www.reverbnation.com/devonera

Also from Adelaide, Raven Black Night continues to be sloppy over the top doom:

https://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecords/raven-black-night-morbid

More here...
http://www.reverbnation.com/ravenblacknight

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 15, 2013

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

edrith posted:

I thought it was about having sex with a horse. Did he have an affair with a horse?

The duet is terrible but the rest of the album is pretty solid. Not my favorite, but good enough. T-Bozz Factor, I'm buying your album the second I get paid.

I'm always a sucker for duets like that, I liked it well enough. I've got the album on repeat now to try and get more acquainted with it.

oxymoron_lm
Oct 1, 2003
Just got War Master's - Blood Dawn ep in and it loving rips. Total Bolt Thrower worship with some pretty brutal riffing. They got a new singer, Rahi of Insect Warfare fame, and I think he's vocals fit a little better than their old singer Daniel Shaw.

entire ep here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYQtbeoZRQ0

The new Grave Miasma album is fantastic. Ordered it off of amazon and I can't wait until it gets here. This year has been a really good year for metal in general.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Given that I've never gotten the chance to witness Enslaved live, I'm pretty stoked for this...

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Enslaved! That show is gonna be great.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
That is the sickest line up and I am rattled beyond words that its skipping Canada entirely. I haven't seen Amon Amarth since 2011, but I saw Enslaved earlier this year so I can't really complain but man has it ever been a lovely year for shows in Calgary.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aw yeah they're going to be in Tampa on a Saturday I'm so going.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 16, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That is a badass loving lineup. Never seen Amon Amarth live, and Skeletonwitch and Enslaved both put on killer shows.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skeletonwitch is touring right now too with Black Dhalia Murder (their new album is solid) - catch SW twice! They are the best!

Fenris244
Oct 22, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

That is a badass loving lineup. Never seen Amon Amarth live, and Skeletonwitch and Enslaved both put on killer shows.

I saw Amon Amarth at Mayhem fest this year, might have something to do with the smoke breathing viking ship but they were awesome live.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

New Dream Theater is streaming on rolling stone today.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dream-theater-channel-prog-metal-in-dream-theater-premiere-20130916

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in like forever and as you might guess, I'm back because I need something from you. Honesty is good. My band put out an album and I think you'll like it if you're into Slough Feg, Manilla Road, or obvious stuff like Iron Maiden. Lots of guitar harmonies with a balance of heavy and melodic stuff. Think late 70s/early 80s metal before everything was super defined. (but we are still influenced by modern stuff as well) The link below takes you to bandcamp. You can listen to the whole thing there and buy it for 7 bucks if you like it that much. Either way, effluvious praise welcomed and harsh criticism tolerated.

Children of the Reptile - Children of the Reptile

Like it a lot, just bought it!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
This is really good

http://blackcrowninitiate.bandcamp.com/album/song-of-the-crippled-bull

4 quality songs for 3 bucks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
New Toxic Holocaust track up on metalsucks:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/09/16/exclusive-track-premiere-toxic-holocausts-out-of-the-fire/

Loving it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those are the most compressed drums in the universe.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009

The mix is better than their last album, but I can't stand the sound of Mangini's snare drum.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nihil morari posted:

I'm also of the opinion that Gloria is their best album, and honestly one of my favorite albums ever. It's just so much better than anything else ever done in it's genre (alternative/industrial metal).

I was really hoping for a follow-up to Gloria, because if I want to listen to something like BTTOS, there's plenty of similar albums that can scratch the same itch, but I've never found anything that scratches the itch that Gloria does. Is there anything out there kinda similar to Gloria that isn't awful?

deadwing fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 17, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Given that I've never gotten the chance to witness Enslaved live, I'm pretty stoked for this...

This is a RIDICULOUS lineup.

I've seriously been telling everyone I know with even a cursory interest in metal about it.

Oh my god I can't wait. If Enslaved plays "Havenless", I will have lived a full and complete life. (They probably won't)

But on that note, "Havenless" is a loving awesome song.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

This is like Opeth but even worse.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Enslaved are great live. The last time I saw them, they were so metal the drum monitor burst into flames in the middle of one of their songs.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just chiming into say that Enslaved are awesome live. I thought with the proggy stuff they would be a bit more tame, but the crowd response was absolutely rabid a couple of years ago when I saw them, and they played plenty of old stuff. A far more vicious show than I had anticipated. It was sold out and sweaty as hell, and very memorable. Skeletonwitch are also great live. The one time I saw AA I found them really disappointing, but the sound was crap, I couldn't hear the lead guitars at all.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

QPZIL posted:

Oh my god I can't wait. If Enslaved plays "Havenless", I will have lived a full and complete life. (They probably won't)

But on that note, "Havenless" is a loving awesome song.

They've only played it once out of the 3 times I've seen them.

The boston show's at the goddamn loving house of blues and none of those bands is awesome enough for me to break my boycott of that piece of poo poo venue :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Well, I know what I'm doing on the 31st of January. So pumped to see Skeletonwitch and Enslaved live.