Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

All the remaining titans were killed by the reinforcements.

Notably, that was where Eren got his first (and thus far only) Titan kill in his human form.

49 chapters into the series, and the protagonist, for all his endless genocidal rage against Titans, has only managed to kill one (1) single Titan as a human. I love this series.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

roobots posted:

She has NO real agency, everything is about and for Eren.

That's not what agency means, by the way. She defines her life. She defines it *around* Eren, but it's defined around protecting him because he's incompetent and done for very understandable reasons. He saved her life when she was very young and has been her only real touchstone since. When she thinks he's gone, she realizes she has to move on. Again, it's very simple. Give her the penis and him the vagina, make him less a horrific Titan and maybe a magical transforming princess, and it's pretty easy to see Eren is the incompetent dumbshit constantly in need of rescue with no real agency over their life that appears in so many stories.

quote:

Armin is the only person in the main three that's actually a character.

"Giant loser that decides to fight smart, not hard" isn't more character than those two have.

ArchangeI posted:

Eren has a laser-sharp focus on murdering any and all Titans

When has this ever been true? He's barely a scout for nine seconds before the female titan shows up and he's all "Oooh let me go save some dudes!" and they go "Yeah, we don't know what's right here. You can try to kill her, or you can trust us". So he trusts them. It eventually ends badly, and he wants to kill her. They say trust us *again*, so he does. They all die. His response isn't blind rage, but sadness that he didn't go with his instincts [That were, objectively, correct. Their plan had faulty information and assumed she was basically just a Titan but a bit smarter.].

There's been literally one instance of his 'rage' being actual overwhelming rage and driving him to actions and guess what? He wasn't even conscious at the time. He was a in a fuzzy little dreamstate where his driving emotion was the opposite of rage, total contentment. His Titan showed rage, and that was probably just default Titan behavior. How does he get out of it? It's sure not rage, or really any negative and destructive emotion. It's a desire to reclaim the world and explore it.

It's like people think because a large part of his motivation involves 'kill all <blank>' that he's a particularly angry guy rather than actually looking at his actions. Guess what? Literally every single character in this book has as a main motivation 'kill all <blank>'. It's just that most of them never really thought it was possible, and the rest fill in the blank with 'humans' rather than 'titans'. He's not that angry, he's not that rage filled, and he's had quite a few moments of levity and plain sadness and all sorts of emotions. It's just that their world sucks and he doesn't get that much time to dwell on the lighter bits before some of his friends get killed or show themselves to be traitorous monsters that got his mother killed or something. He's pretty much had non-stop situations designed to drive him into a rage, and he's had clear success in dealing with *none* of them.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 12, 2013

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
From the anime thread

JosephWongKS posted:

Mike (the mustachioed guy at the top left corner) is still around, though.

That was drawing attention to something you didn't need to... cut that out!

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
Poor Mike. He never got to a grow a real mustache before kicking it.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

thegodofchuck posted:

From the anime thread

I don't think the dude who posted that is a manga reader. At least, I don't think he's ever posted in this thread.He's just a dude who stumbled upon potentially-spoiling information by looking up fandom things online.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I don't think the dude who posted that is a manga reader. At least, I don't think he's ever posted in this thread.He's just a dude who stumbled upon potentially-spoiling information by looking up fandom things online.

The guy who posted that picture or the guy who posted that comment about Mike? Cause that second guy is in this thread. He's on this page.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

thegodofchuck posted:

From the anime thread

What is it drawing attention to?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Genocyber posted:

What is it drawing attention to?

That Mike dies, since everyone else on the burned out bits has died in the anime already but Mike is still alive.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

onepixeljumpman posted:

The guy who posted that picture or the guy who posted that comment about Mike? Cause that second guy is in this thread. He's on this page.

Oh my mistake - I was talking about the guy who posted the picture because I mistakenly assumed you meant him. My bad.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

I was about to link this pretty neat Attack on Titan soundtrack mix in the anime thread, when I noticed... is that... yeeeah... that's a spoiler right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_aYOXzhqc

Goddamnit Reiner. It's relatively minor but you just know the :tinfoil: speculation people are going to go wild.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suztan posted:

I was about to link this pretty neat Attack on Titan soundtrack mix in the anime thread, when I noticed... is that... yeeeah... that's a spoiler right there.

Goddamnit Reiner. It's relatively minor but you just know the :tinfoil: speculation people are going to go wild.

I'm not seeing anything there. What are you referring to?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm not seeing anything there. What are you referring to?

The steam coming off Reiner's arm as he undoes his bandage, I would wager.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

The steam coming off Reiner's arm as he undoes his bandage, I would wager.

Yeah, that's the one. Like I said, it's minor.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm re-reading the Sesame Street revelations again, and I noticed something subtle I'd missed the first time through.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c043/5.html

Mikasa had a clean opportunity to take out both Bertholdt and Reiner lethally before either could transform, but she hesitated. I think that runs contrary to what she said in the chapter before the latest one, it seems she actually might care about more people than just a 'fixed number', like she stated.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

suztan posted:

This is the #1 reason the anime thread has been spoiled so bad, to be honest.

There is nothing there that is even remotely a spoiler, there is no steam coming off of Reiner's arm, it's part of the giant explosion cloud in the background that extends across the entire image and just happens to puff out unfortunately under his hand. Reiner has also had steam coming off of his body throughout the series, as have Mikasa and Levi, because of titan blood evaporating. And besides, if he WAS a titan, why would he bother bandaging any of his wounds? They'd just heal anyway.

I'm not calling you out or anything, it's just that any time two pixels are in the wrong place in the anime thread people are far too quick to jump on the spoiler train, quoting each other and drawing attention to poo poo that doesn't exist until someone "speculates" the right answer. Remember when the new OP came out and people were talking about how the OP had spoilers in it because it had a female titan in it? A Titan in a show called attack on titan?

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

There is nothing there that is even remotely a spoiler, there is no steam coming off of Reiner's arm, it's part of the giant explosion cloud in the background that extends across the entire image and just happens to puff out unfortunately under his hand. Reiner has also had steam coming off of his body throughout the series, as have Mikasa and Levi, because of titan blood evaporating. And besides, if he WAS a titan, why would he bother bandaging any of his wounds? They'd just heal anyway.

I'm not calling you out or anything, it's just that any time two pixels are in the wrong place in the anime thread people are far too quick to jump on the spoiler train, quoting each other and drawing attention to poo poo that doesn't exist until someone "speculates" the right answer. Remember when the new OP came out and people were talking about how the OP had spoilers in it because it had a female titan in it? A Titan in a show called attack on titan?

This was actually being discussed in the comments (I know, I know, Youtube comments), with people freaking out about the "spoiler", then people freaking out that they drew attention to it, and so on. That's why I didn't link it - it's kind of a perfect storm of spoiling over there, with Reiner being a hot issue ever since that one guy either speculating or "speculating" about the steam coming from Reiner.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

To be fair, the dust cloud to the right of his arm is from the explosion; the steam to the left of it isn't.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

So I'm re-reading the Sesame Street revelations again, and I noticed something subtle I'd missed the first time through.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c043/5.html

Mikasa had a clean opportunity to take out both Bertholdt and Reiner lethally before either could transform, but she hesitated. I think that runs contrary to what she said in the chapter before the latest one, it seems she actually might care about more people than just a 'fixed number', like she stated.

And as a result Eren and Christa got kidnapped. At this point in time, if you ain't in the circle of trust, you gonna get killed. Especially if you're helping those two fucks who started all this poo poo.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
I accidentally stumbled on the list of episode titles on wikipedia and assuming they're accurate, the anime really will end on our favorite wallbro. :allears:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I accidentally stumbled on the list of episode titles on wikipedia and assuming they're accurate, the anime really will end on our favorite wallbro. :allears:

I think that season 1 is going to end with the news that titans have gotten inside the walls.

Which gives you a pretty good opener for any potential future season 2, where episode 1 of that season would probably end with Mike being eaten.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Was the Annie stuff in the beginning of Ep 23 filler? I don't remember it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, that guy who was totally gonna work his way up to the top of the MP and change things from the inside, whoops, no I'm just like everyone else was definitely in the manga.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Marlow, Hitch, and silver hair guy were in the manga but the barge stuff specifically was filler. Interestingly I don't think he says "poo poo I'm just as bad as everyone else" in the manga, it's just Annie talking about how the organization ought to be structured so that the poo poo doesn't rise, as most people are poo poo. But they cut down on that bit.

I wish Marlow the best of luck. :unsmith: And I hope he meets Jean one day too.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

^^^^
edit: poop

Stuff after that was filler, though. Namely the scene with the corrupt Military Police guys pawning off their equipment and Marlow's subsequent beat-down.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I really, really like that they added Annie laughing. That gave me crazy shivers.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Autumncomet posted:

I wish Marlow the best of luck. :unsmith: And I hope he meets Jean one day too.

So that he too can get bitten in half by a Titan in an anonymous skirmish with no surviving witnesses?

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
What the gently caress did the anime just do to Annie :psyduck: That was literally unnecessary.

VVVV: She might have but laughter is different from "blushy and starry-eyed as hell".

There's this and then there's: and this.

One adds a completely different tone to her type of crazy. It feels really skeevy.

victorisham fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 15, 2013

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think she laughed in the manga too, but it was off-panel and the sounds were untranslated so I never realized it before.

EDIT: ^^^^ She makes a pretty crazy face in the manga too. It seems true to the art style.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 15, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

It's basically an issue with the stupid internet train in general. People inelegantly hint at poo poo, even if it's off SA, and it through osmosis becomes "truth veiled as speculation" to folks watching the anime, even if they're not in on the thing.

The speculation in the anime thread has been months ahead of where we came to similar conclusions in the manga thread, largely because people one way or another "give away" twists.

There's one twist at least that folks shouldn't be able to pass down through inadvertent osmosis though: If anyone posts anything about Sasquatch in that thread they're dead meat.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Zorak posted:

It's basically an issue with the stupid internet train in general. People inelegantly hint at poo poo, even if it's off SA, and it through osmosis becomes "truth veiled as speculation" to folks watching the anime, even if they're not in on the thing.

The speculation in the anime thread has been months ahead of where we came to similar conclusions in the manga thread, largely because people one way or another "give away" twists.

There's one twist at least that folks shouldn't be able to pass down through inadvertent osmosis though: If anyone posts anything about Sasquatch in that thread they're dead meat.

What do you mean by Sasquatch? Yes I have read all of the manga so far, but for some reason that one isn't registering.... If you don't want to post it in here feel free to PM me it.

fake edit: I think I just realized what the heck you're talking about. But I'm pretty sure some asshat will post crap about that one too. :(

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Myurton posted:

What do you mean by Sasquatch? Yes I have read all of the manga so far, but for some reason that one isn't registering.... If you don't want to post it in here feel free to PM me it.

fake edit: I think I just realized what the heck you're talking about. But I'm pretty sure some asshat will post crap about that one too. :(

Zorak's saying though, that you can't really "subtly hint" at there being a giant loving monkey titan out of nowhere. It's completely out of left field.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Oh that! I completely forgot about that thing and all the craziness surrounding it. I thought Zorak was making hints at Ymir.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Prison Warden posted:

Zorak's saying though, that you can't really "subtly hint" at there being a giant loving monkey titan out of nowhere. It's completely out of left field.
Hey guys, have you heard about the Mighty Oozaru that comes out when the moon is full??

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I totally forgot that Annie just drops that she failed to become a warrior. I guess all three of them are double failures if none of them could manage to bring Eren back.

victorisham posted:

What the gently caress did the anime just do to Annie :psyduck: That was literally unnecessary.

VVVV: She might have but laughter is different from "blushy and starry-eyed as hell".

There's this and then there's: and this.

One adds a completely different tone to her type of crazy. It feels really skeevy.

I think it's fine. She's basically been poker facing her way through the entire thing (arguably her entire time in the military) and she just got found out. It's like a realization of how absurd you've just been trying to pretend when everyone's known your secret the entire time.

e2: holy crap people on tumblr blowing up about Annie's irreversible ruination of her character and vowing to never watch the anime ever again

Eej fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 15, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Myurton posted:

Oh that! I completely forgot about that thing and all the craziness surrounding it. I thought Zorak was making hints at Ymir.

How can you forget about Monkey Trouble? He speaks! :psyduck:

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Eej posted:

e2: holy crap people on tumblr blowing up about Annie's irreversible ruination of her character and vowing to never watch the anime ever again

Did they not realize she was lying during her "A weak girl like me" speech, or what?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Pretty sure this is a good thing.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Can't wait till 2015 for them to say the same thing after Ymir's reveal. And then continue to watch the show anyway. And then say it again after Bert and Ernie's reveal. And then continue to watch the show anyway. And then kill themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ProfessorProf posted:

Did they not realize she was lying during her "A weak girl like me" speech, or what?

Oh no, it's about the ~*blushing*~ being a massive departure from her manga representation. I skimmed a couple of entries (that were very, very long) so I didn't get the real gist of it aside from "anime version ruins Annie" but there's the interpretation that the "blushing and laughing is a sign that she's broken down and not in control unlike the Annie in the manga who is cold and calculating" as well as "I haven't watched the anime but they ruined Annie by sexualizing her by making her blush and laugh" and okay I need to stop

e: lol

Eej fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 15, 2013