Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

three posted:

PS You get what you pay for with community colleges.

I went to a state college and my experience wasn't much better--IT security course without labs because the professor couldn't figure out RADIUS, 10Base2 vs twisted pair discussions in 2010, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Contingency posted:

I went to a state college and my experience wasn't much better--IT security course without labs because the professor couldn't figure out RADIUS, 10Base2 vs twisted pair discussions in 2010, etc.

I love my sec+ and CISSP teacher; they really inspired me.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 15, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

And no it shouldn't be that way, (1)you should pay for education and (2)get some quality education. If I become some, by weird twist of impossible fate, VCDX by some construed thing, (3)I will still teach at a CC. Just like one of the teachers who will probably sit his vcdx at PEX inspired me to do as well.

1. I disagree. Almost all of the most fruitful learning I've done since I graduated college was free (to me; mostly sponsored by ISVs and 3PVs shilling their products). Now, I'm not a VMWare admin, so maybe it's different for your particular product, but most of us in IT necessarily have enough general competency with computers to find lots of free online whitepapers, technical blogs, etc to learn with more agility than a college classroom can provide.
2. Just because it isn't quality for you doesn't mean it isn't quality for the rest of the class. He's the right teacher for a student that's brand new to the content, but you're the wrong student and shouldn't be forced to pay 2 grand and 50+ hours to sit through it to tick off a checkbox.
3. If that's true then why aren't you applying to teach that class right now, when it's within your day-to-day and students might hit you with interesting or novel-to-you questions, before you're severely overqualified and want to charge 5x what the CC wants to pay their instructor?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

keseph posted:

1. I disagree. Almost all of the most fruitful learning I've done since I graduated college was free (to me; mostly sponsored by ISVs and 3PVs shilling their products). Now, I'm not a VMWare admin, so maybe it's different for your particular product, but most of us in IT necessarily have enough general competency with computers to find lots of free online whitepapers, technical blogs, etc to learn with more agility than a college classroom can provide.

I think professors should take pride in what they teach, regardless the job you should put forth your best effort to teach what you know and help all those around you.

quote:

2. Just because it isn't quality for you doesn't mean it isn't quality for the rest of the class. He's the right teacher for a student that's brand new to the content, but you're the wrong student and shouldn't be forced to pay 2 grand and 50+ hours to sit through it to tick off a checkbox.

MY CC charges 650~ for their VCAP/ICM courses. If a teacher is soft spoken and unknowledgeable about the VCP courses, WHICH HAVE A REQUIREMENT MIND YOU, he isn't qualified. Granted it is impossible to know everything but based off the statements of a few goons in that class it is clearly apparent that the teacher has never worked with this in production or actually studied this fully. Also you would be fully surprised how many people sometimes forget some of the most baseline stuff the VCP teaches you.

I SHOULD ALSO NOTE THE ICM COURSE IS TAUGHT IN A 3 DAY BOOT CAMP WHICH MANAGES TO COVER ALL THE OBJECTIVES TO SOME EXTENT

quote:

3. If that's true then why aren't you applying to teach that class right now, when it's within your day-to-day and students might hit you with interesting or novel-to-you questions, before you're severely overqualified and want to charge 5x what the CC wants to pay their instructor?

Wow maybe I should rethink prior to being offered a teaching job; Oh wait, I even designed the environment for the ICM/VCAP courses.... WELL gently caress maybe I want to help people? Maybe I take pride in what I know? Maybe I want to help others and not be some selfish rear end in a top hat who is fixated on a paycheck? You're right I should focus on how much I make rather than focusing on the work I do or people I help. No I don't, everyone starts somewhere I don't give a poo poo if you are new/exp/other you deserve to expect the same quality education anyone else would give.

Also thanks for giving me more motivation for working towards my DCD/VCDX; because I will be hosed over a barrel before I let some cert level get in the way of me and helping others. He'll I'd become a VCDX and teach just to prove the "wasted talent" statement wrong. Because holy poo poo there is no better feeling than working with some people who don't understand virtualization for jack poo poo and going "Oh wow this is starting to make since, thanks Dilbert"

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 15, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

I look forward to seeing you teach literally everyone who wants to learn about VCAP, all at the same time, give all of them a quality course in the process, and not be paid a pittance for doing so. If you can accomplish that, then I commend you because you are a shining star of enthusiasm which is unfortunately not common amongst those who teach, because what you have described makes you a college unto yourself. I truly would encourage you to apply to teach that class if you think you can do so better because it is extremely common that that guy is the best the CC can find who'll work for the money on offer. Don't just sit on your high pony and bandy on about how teachers should be better; go do something about it and right now rather than in a few years maybe possibly if you get to a really high level that you might not ever get to.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
For what it's worth, the CC cert courses required for my degree here in San Diego all have Teachers that work in the field and are knowledgeable. I did take a Java course where the Professor didn't do fuckall for teaching though.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
All of Dilbert As gently caress's posts in this discussion can be summed us as "I think everyone should take pride in what they do." which is a completely reasonable but woefully naive thing to ask for.

Some people just don't give a poo poo about their job, and whatever hilariously minuscule pay they receive for teaching evening classes at community college is not going to change that.

E: Tiny amount of content.

Apparently work will buy me books, so a DESGN and SWITCH book are on their way to me.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

MrBigglesworth posted:

I still contend that the one question about Fiber Optics having a valid option of "not as susceptible to RFI and EMI" is loving wrong. Fiber is immune to that poo poo, or was as explained in the material and was my understanding as compared to copper networks.

This question is worded like a classic vendor "gotcha," written by a guy like me. You can still technically get EMI on an optical fiber, but it has to be from a really exotic source. But yes, in virtually all practical applications, it might as well be immune.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

single-mode fiber posted:

This question is worded like a classic vendor "gotcha," written by a guy like me. You can still technically get EMI on an optical fiber, but it has to be from a really exotic source. But yes, in virtually all practical applications, it might as well be immune.

In theory you could destroy the cladding on some cables with RF but your run might have to go through a microwave. Really though most of the entry level certifications have loads of over simplification, you just have to look past it because you know what they are asking. There is always a bit of "What color is the sky in your world?" In each vendors tests.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
There's some talk from the various team managers that our new contract could include requirements for MCSA/MCSE certifications and an accompanying boost in pay. I'm just a lowly server farm technician, even though my title is Systems Administrator, but I really want to knock out my MCSA. Which certification makes more sense - MCSA 2008 or MCSA 2012?

I initially thought 2012 would be the way to go, but from the comments about the low quality of the training materials, the upcoming exam update, and the fact that we will not be introducing 2012 anytime soon where I work I'm leaning towards the MCSA 2008 R2 (especially since I already have that training material)? Also, when is the 2008 R2 exam going EOL?

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
An MCSA is an MCSA. Go for 2008R2. It is mature and stable. MS has a horrible lag between product release and exam maturity/training material continuity.

If you are labbing on 2012 for 6 hours a day and can find all the rough spots and gaps in the 2012 material, then by all means go for a 2012. But I would go 2008R2 then take an upgrade test later.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Daylen Drazzi posted:

There's some talk from the various team managers that our new contract could include requirements for MCSA/MCSE certifications and an accompanying boost in pay. I'm just a lowly server farm technician, even though my title is Systems Administrator, but I really want to knock out my MCSA. Which certification makes more sense - MCSA 2008 or MCSA 2012?

I initially thought 2012 would be the way to go, but from the comments about the low quality of the training materials, the upcoming exam update, and the fact that we will not be introducing 2012 anytime soon where I work I'm leaning towards the MCSA 2008 R2 (especially since I already have that training material)? Also, when is the 2008 R2 exam going EOL?

About half of the 2008 exams have already retired, back in July and the other half retire at the end of January, and the 2008-equivalent of the MCSE is already retired. The MCSA is only good for 3 years, so you'll need to upgrade it to 2012 material by then or if/when you decide to take the next step up. If you're in a position where you'd really like to play with the new stuff and make a case for rolling it out for prod, then going straight to the 2012 material could help your case, but that's an up-hill battle and a lot of responsibility so it's certainly not for everyone.

vvv:

incoherent posted:

2012 R2 launches next month so they'll seed those questions about 6-8 months after you begin the path.

If it takes him 6-8 months from today, he won't complete the 2008 stuff before it retires, so he'd have to start over completely.

keseph fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 15, 2013

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I suggest to with the 2008. Its going to be a very steep hill going with 2012, and to add insult 2012 R2 launches next month so they'll seed those questions about 6-8 months after you begin the path. The 2008 information is mature and the infrastructures are pervasive.

You'll then have 3 years to get the single cert that gets you the 2012 certification.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

keseph posted:

About half of the 2008 exams have already retired, back in July and the other half retire at the end of January, and the 2008-equivalent of the MCSE is already retired.

Where are you seeing that MCSA Server 08 is going to be retired? I'm looking on the MS cert site and don't see anything. MCITP:EA retired, but that's it.

keseph posted:

The MCSA is only good for 3 yeears

Also where do you see this? I believe MCSA is good for life and does not need to be renewed.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That's weird, I thought MCSA had a 3 year life span.

According to this

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/certification-exam-policies.aspx#recertification

quote:

Q.Will MCSA certifications require recertification also?
A.
This requirement does not apply to MCSA certifications.

it is MCSE as what I thought as well, but MCSA doesnt seem to apply.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 16, 2013

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Amphion posted:

Where are you seeing that MCSA Server 08 is going to be retired? I'm looking on the MS cert site and don't see anything. MCITP:EA retired, but that's it.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcts-certification.aspx posted:

The MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuration; MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration; and MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuration certifications will be retired on January 31, 2014.
Those 3 being the required exams for the MCSA: Server 2008.

Amphion posted:

Also where do you see this? I believe MCSA is good for life and does not need to be renewed.

Whoops! You're right; I had assumed they were all affected by the 3-year re-cert.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

keseph posted:

Those 3 being the required exams for the MCSA: Server 2008.

I think you're reading it wrong. That's just saying the MCTS cert you get for passing each individual exam is being retired. 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will still be around and give you MCSA Server 08 if you pass all 3, but if you pass just 1 of them you won't get the MCTS cert like you used to. See how when you expand the Windows Server section of that link there's no * next to 640 and 642.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I've moved on to Cisco Network Academy's Firewall & VPN course (for the 640-554) after the CCNA curriculum, and wow does the quality of the online reading materials take a nosedive between the two. Most recently I've hit page after page on what specific GUI buttons to push to configure a Cisco Secure ACS server, which is tedious as hell without having been given a sample network or any kind of concrete muse to apply to what I'm learning.

I was planning on supplementing the reading by picking up the "CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide" from Cisco press, anyone have any thoughts on that book or suggestions for something else? I found Lammle's CCNA book a great supplement due to its slightly different approach to things, and if the Cisco cert guide is as phoned-in as the course text feels I'm not sure it's worth picking up.

e- vvv Good info, thanks.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2013

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I took 640-554 in June, and the Cisco Press book was my primary resource. It does not cover private VLANs and glosses over Cisco's service offerings. The book strikes an even balance between CLI and GUI, but unfortunately the exam is skewed heavily towards GUI for simulations. I found it to be good for explaining things (not difficult since CCNA Security epitomizes "inch deep, mile wide") but you want to find labs elsewhere and brush up on the topics I mentioned earlier. I picked up the Cisco Academy lab manual and Boson practice exam to round things out.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Amphion posted:

I think you're reading it wrong. That's just saying the MCTS cert you get for passing each individual exam is being retired. 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will still be around and give you MCSA Server 08 if you pass all 3, but if you pass just 1 of them you won't get the MCTS cert like you used to. See how when you expand the Windows Server section of that link there's no * next to 640 and 642.

MS needs to clear that poo poo up - I was seriously convinced that MCSA 2008 was getting retired in the next year or so, but if it's just the MCTS poo poo getting shoved out the airlock then who the gently caress cares. Time to start hitting the books so I can get at least the 70-640 cert out of the way before Jan 1.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Amphion is correct.

Microsoft is changing poo poo up a bit. The MCTS certification is going away, so passing an individual cert no longer gets you anything like it used to.

The MCSA Server 2008 is NOT retiring, it's staying around. Server 2008 R2 is supported until 2020 so I don't see them retiring it very soon. They just retired the Server 2003 track a few months ago, so I would think it will stay around until the next Windows Server release.

The MCITP:EA is expiring at the end of Jan, 2014. Anyone holding this cert will also get the MCSA Server 2008 certification which allows them to upgrade their 2008 MCSA to the 2012 MCSA with just one test, and then take 2 additional exams for the new MCSE track. I did look at the MCSE: Private Cloud track though and you do not need an MCSA 2012 for that, you can have the 2008 MCSA and then take the 2 System Center exams and be MCSE: Private Cloud

Anyway, go forth and earn the 2008 MCSA, and post up if you need any help or have questions.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Questions? Then how the gently caress does one pass 70-642. I won't hit thy area again tip early next year. I got that NAP book mentioned earlier. It doesn't have R2 references though.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I have not completed nor am I near completing my CCNA as my employer wanted by October. After some posts in this thread I decided to slow my pace regardless of what my employer wanted as I actually want to LEARN the content, not just cram a bunch of crap in.

Anyhow I am lucky in that I have the ability to be already operating on the devices in production which along with my labs is assisting me greatly. At the moment most of my work revolves around ACL's and VLAN's but its fun enough for the most part and keeps me hands on. If I am unfamiliar with anything I am able to to cast an eye over the production configuration, test concepts in my lab etc. Having access to that wealth of information has been great.

Another resource which I have been making use of is the Nuggets CCNA courses. Jeremy does some great work in my opinion and the Nuggets team themselves have gone to some pretty impressive lengths to assist with the process. Asking for feedback, providing feedback, providing assistance on study methods etc. Worth a look for anyone going down that path I think.

The point anyway is that studying for this certification has relit my interest in IT. While my career for the most part has gone from strength to strength I had found over the last 18 months that my will to come home and play around with technology had died off severely. I am having such a great time with all my new lab gear and simulators etc that I actually find myself sitting at and thinking *Man I cant wait to go home and test out new concept X in my lab* as opposed to *Man I cant wait to get home and sleep*.

Who knew the benefits to certification would start well before I actually achieved it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Remy Marathe posted:

I've moved on to Cisco Network Academy's Firewall & VPN course (for the 640-554) after the CCNA curriculum,

What did you think of Netacads CCNA stuff?

I am in that course right now at a local college. We are finishing up Intro to Network right now and starting Routing and Switching Essentials stuff on Wednesday.

I tallied all my original scores for the first 11 chapters in the Intro to Networks course and came up with about and 87% grade. The instructor has allowed tests to be retaken after we re-study and I am now up to 98.7% on my average.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MrBigglesworth posted:

Questions? Then how the gently caress does one pass 70-642. I won't hit thy area again tip early next year. I got that NAP book mentioned earlier. It doesn't have R2 references though.

Lab it up if you haven't been already. I learn by doing, and making mistakes. I thought I had setup a VPN properly in 2008R2 and was banging my head against it for like 30 minutes on why it wouldn't connect. Ends up I had to modify a policy somewhere else for it to work. Lesson learned, knowledge retained.

I don't particularly care for the 70-642 since it covers so much poo poo not actually used in the real world. No one uses RRAS/Microsoft VPN in production that I've ever heard of. They have Cisco/Juniper boxes for that poo poo. Most folks also use a 3rd party solution for the monitoring and maintaining section of the test.

You're not going to see this on a Microsoft Test

Contoso Ltd is planning a remote access strategy for it's mobile workforce, what should you consider as the system administrator for Contoso Ltd?
  • PPTP
  • L2TP w/ IPSEC
  • Direct Access
  • Calling your VAR and getting pricing on a Juniper or Cisco VPN solution

Another tricky part of the test is the different DNS Zones. Average Windows Admin only touches nice easy to manage Active Directory Integrated zones they never have to think of. You really need to know Primary/Secondary/Stub zones, the difference between the 3, how each one works, and when to use each one. There's usually a key phrase in the question that points you to the right answer like "minimal amount of bandwidth" or "frequent changes"

Read and understand all of this, it's worth an easy 100 points on the test

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771898.aspx

The File and Print Services section of the exam will touch on all the new 2008 and 2008R2 tech. What's the difference between older DFS and DFS-R, what scenario would DFS-R help out with. Know how EFS works and it's limitations and recovery options

It'll touch on the new built in Windows Backup (:shh: it can't write to a tape drive :shh:)

Know what the FSRM does and can do, file screening, quote volume, templates, file classifications, etc.

WSUS is a big part of this test as well I think. You the different deployment scenarios of WSUS, you'll probably see questions like "with the least amount of administrative overhead" or "least amount of bandwidth"

You also really have to practice HOW to take a Microsoft test as well. The questions can be confusing and you really have to have sharp test taking skills to:

1- Identify exactly what Microsoft question is asking. You'll often have many sentences of unrelated information. Sometimes though there's a key nugget*
2- Catch the 'tricky' requirement in the question that will help you decide between 2 correct answers*
3- Make sure your answer is the 'Best' answer per Microsoft

* Take my example question above, they may word that question like

Contoso Ltd is a growing IT servicing company with multiple locations and work from home consultants. Contoso Ltd has 150 Windows 7 clients, 20 Windows XP clients, and 10 Unix based clients. Contoso is planning a remote access strategy for it's mobile workforce, what should you consider as the system administrator for Contoso Ltd?
  • PPTP
  • L2TP w/ IPSEC
  • Direct Access
  • SSTP

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

MrBigglesworth posted:

What did you think of Netacads CCNA stuff?

I am in that course right now at a local college. We are finishing up Intro to Network right now and starting Routing and Switching Essentials stuff on Wednesday.

I tallied all my original scores for the first 11 chapters in the Intro to Networks course and came up with about and 87% grade. The instructor has allowed tests to be retaken after we re-study and I am now up to 98.7% on my average.

I felt Cisco's Netacad reading materials and chapter tests (not so much the practice questions at the end) were very good. In past classes I've frequently encountered badly designed or badly worded multiple choice tests, things written by instructors that don't care if their "answer" isn't strictly true or there are two technically correct answers, etc., but I encountered almost none of that in the Exploration curriculum. The times when I thought I had encountered a bad question, looking deeper it was pretty much always me that had hosed up and missed some nuance in the question. Took me a while to trust them, but by the end of two semesters I did.

Obviously always investigate why you got any given question wrong, and focus on understanding beyond just the grade. Between the Netacad materials, lots of practice in Packet Tracer and the classroom lab, and an instructor who helped put things in work/real life context, I felt like it pretty thoroughly prepared me for the CCNA. Lammle's book was just icing, filling in new details in some places (I think he covers the configuration register better, for example).

Make sure you take your time with your labs, do things the hard way when it seems like good practice, and be curious. Try to break things, ask yourself questions beyond the lab, etc, because that stuff will pay off. For example there's an exec level command that's not implemented in Packet Tracer- terminal monitor, and I believe all of one sentence was devoted to it in the Netacad reading material. Anyone who has ever spent time connected to a router via ssh or telnet will swiftly discover they're not getting verbose output on-screen, wonder why, and learn about the command. But half my class was unaware of it because they did all their configuration over console ports. You can be just as lazy in packet tracer, clicking on every device to configure it. But later when real labs begin to consist of 6 devices or so, you find these dudes plugging & unplugging console cables constantly because they'd never learned to think through how they might set it up to do their management in-band.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What is the easiest way to get Microsoft certifications without taking a course? I want to get a few to increase my chances of finding a better job but my current employer won't send me on a course unless it is benefitting them (understandable) and I'd feel pretty scummy anyway by getting them to pay for a bunch of courses and then loving off. However, I really don't want to drop thousands of my own money taking courses. Is there a cheap way to learn online and take the exams?

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 16, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IT Guy posted:

What is the easiest way to get Microsoft ceritifications without taking a course? I want to get a few to increase my chances of finding a better job but my currently employer won't send me on a course unless it is benefitting them (understandable) and I'd feel pretty scummy anyway by getting them to pay for a bunch of courses and then loving off. However, I really don't want to drop thousands of my own money taking courses. Is there a cheap way to learn online and take the exams?

It's much better to get your employer to pay if possible especially since IT training is seeing some bubble-like costs for things such as real hands-on CCNA lab training.

Just think of employer education help as a handy way to improve your skillset but also not have to worry about the money side of things.

It also helps to study the terms and conditions in taking employer education health, there's also strings attached such as having to stay with the company 1 year after taking the classes.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Contingency posted:

Teachers at the college level, whether community or state school, tend to have a few guys that are the technological Amish. They just pick some year in the 1990 rather than the 1650s as the date upon which they will no longer use or learn technology. It doesn't help that the typical textbook cycle is far too long for a fast moving field like IT, and they keep legacy stuff out there for those people going to the Fortune 500 shops where things like Token Ring might still be running.

The adjuncts who work during the day and teach at night are all ludicrously sharp though. I had guys teaching classes that were at HP, EDS, Hitachi, and were all pretty high up on the food chain.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

IT Guy posted:

What is the easiest way to get Microsoft ceritifications without taking a course? I want to get a few to increase my chances of finding a better job but my currently employer won't send me on a course unless it is benefitting them (understandable) and I'd feel pretty scummy anyway by getting them to pay for a bunch of courses and then loving off. However, I really don't want to drop thousands of my own money taking courses. Is there a cheap way to learn online and take the exams?

In what format? The cheapest way to take these exams is to get the corresponding book and follow it, and supplement it with TechNet.

If you're looking for something like CBT Nuggets or LabSim video training that stuff is expensive as well (*to acquire legally). CBT Nuggets is 99 bucks a month to subscribe/999 yr, and LabSim can run over 1000 bucks. Both of which pale to a 'Learning Center's pricing of 3500+ bucks for a one week course. Legit training unfortunately costs money. You could also explore your local community college's offerings as well, if they have a Microsoft IT Academy classes there training shouldn't break the bank.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

skipdogg posted:

In what format? The cheapest way to take these exams is to get the corresponding book and follow it, and supplement it with TechNet.

If you're looking for something like CBT Nuggets or LabSim video training that stuff is expensive as well (*to acquire legally). CBT Nuggets is 99 bucks a month to subscribe/999 yr, and LabSim can run over 1000 bucks. Both of which pale to a 'Learning Center's pricing of 3500+ bucks for a one week course. Legit training unfortunately costs money. You could also explore your local community college's offerings as well, if they have a Microsoft IT Academy classes there training shouldn't break the bank.

Actually the book thing with technet is probably what I'm looking for but I thought Microsoft was phasing out the books for some online thing?

CBT Nuggets isn't a bad idea. I can definitely afford $99/month. I just didn't want to do the $2k/course thing at like Global Knowledge. The nearest Global Knowledge location from me is 4 hours so I'd have to stay at a hotel as well which would be downtown Toronto so I'm looking at another 2k in hotel costs for a 5 day course.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

El_Matarife posted:

Teachers at the college level, whether community or state school, tend to have a few guys that are the technological Amish. They just pick some year in the 1990 rather than the 1650s as the date upon which they will no longer use or learn technology.

:allears: This is an incredible description and I am going to start using it. I've definitely worked with people like that. "If it was best practice in 1997, it's best practice now."

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

IT Guy posted:

Assuming you're in a big corporate shop: Continuing education/training funds are there to be used. If you don't use your budget one year, then your boss's boss is going to ask why they're setting aside funds there instead of elsewhere and potentially reduce his budget for it next year. OTOH, if it's a flat mandate by HR instead of part of his negotiated budget then he won't care because it's not part of his budget. It can be a lot different in a small shop if your boss is also the CFO.

As for online content, there's tons out there. BOL should be your best friend. StackOverflow is great too, but be careful of blindly trusting things people write and double-check that it still works that way.

And now for a personal anecdote:
If you're taking an exam and think a question is truly fundamentally flawed? Challenge it. Do the follow-up. If you're wrong, you may be told exactly why and know where to study further. If you're right, you might get a free exam voucher :woop: Use the Comment/Survey time too. No test is perfect but you might make it better for the next person who takes it.

Edit: fixed phone smiley :downs:

keseph fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 16, 2013

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Remy Marathe posted:

For example there's an exec level command that's not implemented in Packet Tracer- terminal monitor,

Really?

People aren't aware of using telnet or more accurately ssh over something outside of a console cable?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Remy Marathe posted:

Great advice

Yeah, solid advice here. The best thing is really "ask yourself questions beyond the lab".

For instance, I'm studying now for the CCNP ROUTE exam, and one of the labs mentioned using multipoint frame-relay connections (antiquated though it may be). I realized there were a couple little issues I had with setting up MPFR and point-to-multipoint FR, so I started reading about it. And here it is like 5 hours later and I feel a lot better, not only about frame-relay, but even about the overarching topic I was studying (EIGRP stuff).

That being said though, I know frame-relay is phasing out slowly across the IT world. What's it being replaced with? VPNs? Fiber? Both? Just curious.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
That post about a $3500/wk course got me thinking.

How many people would be willing to pay how much for regular one-on-one time with a former CCNA/MCSA instructor via Skype either as supplementary to their studies or to do a complete distance learning thing?

I have been toying with the idea because I now work from home and have myself and my rack just sitting there doing nothing for vast periods of time.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

QPZIL posted:

That being said though, I know frame-relay is phasing out slowly across the IT world. What's it being replaced with? VPNs? Fiber? Both? Just curious.

Frame-relay is your L2, so strictly peaking L2, it is being replaced with things like Ethernet.

Gap In The Tooth
Aug 16, 2004
^ this

QPZIL posted:

Yeah, solid advice here. The best thing is really "ask yourself questions beyond the lab".

For instance, I'm studying now for the CCNP ROUTE exam, and one of the labs mentioned using multipoint frame-relay connections (antiquated though it may be). I realized there were a couple little issues I had with setting up MPFR and point-to-multipoint FR, so I started reading about it. And here it is like 5 hours later and I feel a lot better, not only about frame-relay, but even about the overarching topic I was studying (EIGRP stuff).

You can achieve the same thing (point-to-point or point-to-multipoint) connections using a variety of better methods these days. What you have to acknowledge is that FR comes from a time of dialup, TDM and ISDN fixed circuits. The modern networking environment is fluid and there is now a major gulf between layer 1/2 and everything else. So as you see Fibre to the Home/Premise, or Gigabit Passive Optical Networks, Google Fibre, VDSL2 and other connection options roll out, you will see that endpoints are more layer 3+ focused than layer 1/2 focused in the sense that the carrier medium doesn't matter as much anymore. Endpoints no longer require termination of a circuit like in the old days, and are more akin to the ethernet-style star model.

MPLS is essentially the same thing but is more interested in labeling stuff 'in flight' as it travels over IP networks as opposed to tagging layer 2 frames coming out of physical interfaces, so it's more like VLAN tagging that FR. No doubt someone can give a more detailed explanation as I've only worked with it in the lab. VRFs work to lay out routing paths and does magic with VPNs too. Some of this stuff used to be in the CCNP curriculum back before it became ROUTE.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

QPZIL posted:

MPLS, most of the frame-relay out there is carrier held not private. MPLS gives them the ability to charge more money better services to offer clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Fellow Cisco goons, I ask for your experiences and advice. (My apologies if any of this has been asked before.)

My CCNA expires this coming January 7. Since that cert got me my current job, I feel like I ought to maintain an active Cisco cert, but I've put it off for long enough that it's already too late for that. At the rate I'm going, it is at least within the realm of possibility that I will be able to pass the CCNP ROUTE exam before my existing CCNA's expiration date, but not the other two CCNP exams.

1) What consequences can I expect to face if the expiration date comes and goes and I only have 1/3 of the next-level certification completed? For example, will they make me go back and retake the CCNA before I'm allowed to register for the CCNP SWITCH and TSHOOT exams?

2) Do those consequences change if that date passes and I don't have any of the CCNP exams completed at all?

I would like to hear from someone else who has gone through this situation. I know I screwed up, but it would be helpful to know in advance how much pain I'm in for so I can take steps to mitigate it.