Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

canoshiz posted:

What is Master Thonglor's role in the camp now, anyway? Seems like Ludwig has things covered... Relegated to mitt holding only?

Post-workout rubdowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
pest eradication

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

-Atom- posted:

With all of the recent uproar on Duane Ludwig's involvement with Team Alpha Male's string of wins, and nature of said wins. I've heard both Chad Mendes and Joseph Benavidez say in interviews that Duane isn't only a striking coach, but also a game planner who watches tape. The troubling bit about all of this is that both $ and Benavidez said this wasn't really a practice that took place before they hired on Bang, and that they essentially just trained not necessarily in a cavalier way, just not to the extent where they're currently at now. There's actual structure at this point.

I guess my question is, how can an established camp with veteran fighters and former champions operate in such a laissez-faire kind of way?

because everyone else is terrible and dumb, and when people do watch tape and come up with gameplans you get greg jackson telling gsp to kickbox with bj penn

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
ok clay. here's your strategy for the next fight. just loving run away and hope he dies or something. i'm greg jackson.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

canoshiz posted:

What is Master Thonglor's role in the camp now, anyway? Seems like Ludwig has things covered... Relegated to mitt holding only?

God I wish there was corner audio available for Aldo/Faber because I really want to know what advice Thonglor was giving Urijah while Aldo was battering his legs.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

canoshiz posted:

I'm pretty sure he can still run drills and lead workouts and whatnot. But maybe he's a little more under Bang's direction. Or maybe he still jsut does his own thing supplemental to what bang does.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Bang shows up to practice holding a binder full of training schedules, fighter evaluations, and gameplans.

Thonglor shows up holding an angry, hissing possum by the tail.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Big Bidness posted:

Bang shows up to practice holding a binder full of training schedules, fighter evaluations, and gameplans.

Thonglor shows up holding an angry, hissing possum by the tail.

TAM looks at Bang with absolute confusion, then nods knowingly at Thonglor.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
It's pretty simple, you guys. It takes a person on Alpha Brain to lead a team of Alpha Males.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Do you get a new belt every time you defend your title or is it just the one?

Does Anderson Silva really only have one belt hanging on his wall compared to Randy Couture's seven?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I believe you get a new belt every time, so Anderson has 11 or 12, depending on if he got one for the Lutter fight. I've heard Rampage say he has 3, 2 UFC and 1 Pride (Beat Chuck, defended against Hendo, and got a Pride belt from beating Hendo because that was a unification fight).

Edit: Just typing that out, Jesus Christ Anderson.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

xcore posted:

Do you get a new belt every time you defend your title or is it just the one?

Does Anderson Silva really only have one belt hanging on his wall compared to Randy Couture's seven?

There was a video after one of the Brazil cards after Aldo defended where Andy was backstage with Ed Soares, and in the camera Ed says to Dana that Anderson wants a belt with the date and name of the fighter on it for each successful defense.

I'm assuming they have one belt, or at least that's the impression I got from that video blog.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I believe you get a new belt every time, so Anderson has 11 or 12, depending on if he got one for the Lutter fight. I've heard Rampage say he has 3, 2 UFC and 1 Pride (Beat Chuck, defended against Hendo, and got a Pride belt from beating Hendo because that was a unification fight).

Edit: Just typing that out, Jesus Christ Anderson.

I thought Rampage was trying to make the case that he should get a Pride belt for the unification fight, not that he had gotten one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
They get a new belt for every fight. UFC actually switched over to a Chinese manufacturer when they introduced the lower weight classes because they needed more churned out. (The original maker does a lot of wrestling titles and he's a small scale operation.)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was always under the impression they got new belts for every fight. There was one instance where Dana was talking about one of them being shoddily made (i.e. it was sharp on some corners).

Makes sense not to have one belt, but rather just have a new one made for each fight and it goes to the winner.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Yeah, you'd want to have more than one belt so some rear end in a top hat in sudden financial trouble doesn't take a hammer to it to sell off pieces.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, you'd want to have more than one belt so some rear end in a top hat in sudden financial trouble doesn't take a hammer to it to sell off pieces.

Then you just use it as the UFC Hardcore belt.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

It makes sense too. Otherwise there would be a whole bunch of "whoops, i forgot to bring the belt. It's sitting on the counter at home with my spare change"

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

xcore posted:

It makes sense too. Otherwise there would be a whole bunch of "whoops, i forgot to bring the belt. It's sitting on the counter at home with my spare change"

I'm imagining GSP sitting on a plane, reading a magazine. He puts it down..."gently caress!".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Do you really want to wear the belt Tim Sylvia had sex in?

Edit: God, I bet Randy Couture did want to.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd be more worried about getting stopped at the air port because of cocaine residue from one of Chuck's.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Hey Randy, how's taste my big poo poo?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

1st AD posted:

Hey Randy, how's taste my big poo poo?

If you can't pass the belt, you can at least pass the women.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I was watching Mayweather school a ginger today when I noticed that boxing matches (30-36 min.) are longer than MMA fights (15-25). Is there a reason for this?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Imagine if you watched Jacob Volkmann fight Antonio McKee for 7 rounds.

Just imagine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Forceholy posted:

I was watching Mayweather school a ginger today when I noticed that boxing matches (30-36 min.) are longer than MMA fights (15-25). Is there a reason for this?

Wrestling/grappling is more cardio sapping than stand up and the longer rounds are as well.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Forceholy posted:

Because they are different sports. Football and Basketball have different times as well.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Forceholy posted:

Timing and scoring structures in combat sports influence the strategies people use. For example, if MMA rounds were three minutes like boxing, it would have a significant effect on how fighters used grappling because that's not a lot of time to get somebody down and work on the ground. Having longer matches overall makes conditioning more important and rewards strategies designed to wear an opponent down. A century or so ago, boxing and wrestling often had no limit on the number of rounds and lasted until one of the participants was unable to continue, typically from exhaustion. This encouraged fighters to maintain a deliberate pace and fight conservatively to avoid damage. Eventually the number of rounds was limited to 15, and nowadays it is 12. I don't know exactly why that was done, but I assume it was some combination of (1) limiting the lengths of the fights so they were no longer an all-day affair for the spectators, (2) making aggressive strategies more viable so the fights were more exciting, and (3) helping boxing gain social acceptance by making the fights less ugly.

Anyway, MMA matches are shorter because grappling is so physically intensive. MMA fighters also fight long per round on the same amount of rest between rounds, which depletes them faster. In the UFC fighters with the conditioning to go hard for all 3 rounds are rare, and I can only think of a handful who can do it for five. Most probably have somewhere between five and ten minutes before they get real tired and start to fade, so three five-minute rounds is a good compromise that leaves conditioning is important but aggressive strategies are still useful.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Boxing went from 15 to 12 rounds after a Korean dude died in a 15 round title fight. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duk_Koo_Kim#Boxing_rule_changes

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
What's the deal with Thonglor? All I know is he had a meaningless career and was apparently a mediocre Muay Thai coach for TAM (judging by their improvement as the Bangzilians), but where does the gambling stuff come from and why does he get so much attention here?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Ditch posted:

What's the deal with Thonglor? All I know is he had a meaningless career and was apparently a mediocre Muay Thai coach for TAM (judging by their improvement as the Bangzilians), but where does the gambling stuff come from and why does he get so much attention here?

1. He is the wacky uncle from a 1994 children's sports movie and

2.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnhkprwRh5M

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I don't know whether that's more crazy or badass. Possums have serious teeth.

badass

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ditch posted:

In every interview with TAM they reference how Thonglor would often disappear for days to weeks at a time without notifying anybody and then just showing up whenever he felt like it. It's generally assumed that he's going off on a gambling binge. Actually I think this might've been on of the things that prompted them to get Ludwig in the first place, because Thonglor disappeared for over a month.

Also Thonglor's training would sort of get lovely and taper off whenever he got paid, but when he was running out of money he'd suddenly do a lot more one on one stuff with the TAM guys and be very attentive and coach-like.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also this:

(somebody find me the full size original please)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is there a historic origin for "To be the champ you've got to beat the champ" other than bitter former champions losing by the rules of the game? It seems fairly stupid that some people think that a guy you likely never fought before has to beat you by a smaller margin than you beat him just because he beat someone else.

How can you possibly call yourself the champ if you can't win dominantly? A loss is a loss right?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is there a historic origin for "To be the champ you've got to beat the champ"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

I have no idea who these people are.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:lol:

I would not be surprised if this is the actual origin

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Dangersim posted:

:lol:

I would not be surprised if this is the actual origin

"To be the man, you've gotta beat the man"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have no idea who these people are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwh9wuQAlU8

e: I believe Flair was the one who popularized the phrase, but the idea that the champion in boxing would get the edge in close rounds and that you had to beat him convincingly to win dates back much earlier.

Meat Recital fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 23, 2013