Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

New feature I love to pieces: Being able to see the statistics of craftable items. No more wondering about whether a knife spear or a 2-by-sword is a more effective weapon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You have always been able to do that, by pressing 'e' on the crafting menu I think.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I've never seen that before. How the hell did I miss it? :psyduck:

e: content - metal arrow shafts now take 3 fabrication and 1 archery. Granted, you can no longer craftspam your way to high skill in combat skills, but you might still be able to craftspam your way to better craftable items. :haw:

e2: Having played longer, I think ultimately starting out with Krav Maga is a better choice than trying to hack it out with archery - I'm pretty sure you need to invest at least three points into archery for it to be anywhere near a viable start and even then you'll be hurting while you train up, but Krav Maga is useful with a single point in melee and maybe a point of dodge for safety straight off the bat. Archery definitely gets more powerful later, but for early survival Krav Maga is looking like the trick to play for.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 16, 2013

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
New Stable version has been released! Which probably isn't terribly new to most of you. It comes packaged with the two real tilesets we're supporting, though - Deon's big fancy one and Hodor's dense familiar looking one.

I barely missed yanking crossdressing before it went live, so I guess that is officially in stable despite Anticheeses exasperation... but it's already gone in experimental, replaced by the far superior "Stylish", so that the survivor with TRULY impeccable test can rock his top hat/monocle/wedding dress/high heels combination for maximum style points.

Also, from what I understand the "Lost Submissive" profession was actually a Goon contribution?

Anyway, plenty of new stuff, with at least a good chunk of the standard wonkiness removed (hopefully), hope everyone enjoys.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Addiction still seems, well, poorly implemented. I picked the prostitute start, and the "depressants" effects from the crack withdrawal currently have me at -151% speed, -25 intelligence, -21 perception, and -15 dexterity. The cravings status hits you absurdly frequently in comparison to the duration of its effects, so they apparently just stack infinitely. (Except morale, which I guess tops off at 3x the base effect or whatever.)

My actual speed bottoms out at 25%, but I can't even window-fight with that, so basically I can't do anything until the addiction wears off.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 16, 2013

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
I'm not entirely sure how, but my character seems to be able to wear 10 pairs of shoes/boots at the same time. I get the feeling the inventory needs some work.

Also unsure as to why ID cards are consumed when used. Wouldn't that be a terrible design flaw if high level persons had to carry around a huge stack of ID cards to access their workspace?

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 16, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because otherwise you'd only ever have to find one military card and get access to as many stocked bunkers as you want, obviously. It's a balance decision, it doesn't have to make sense. :v:

Also yeah, you can wear as much of any type of equipment as you want, at the cost of your encumbrance going up and making you worse at basically everything related to that body part. A dozen pairs of boots will make you run as slow as a snail. Well, more slowly, going by the in-game snails.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The best feature in the latest version is the wreckages. I don't have a screenshot of it, but I got a car melded with an electric one, giving me a hybrid limo. :allears:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Cardiovorax posted:

Because otherwise you'd only ever have to find one military card and get access to as many stocked bunkers as you want, obviously. It's a balance decision, it doesn't have to make sense. :v:

Also yeah, you can wear as much of any type of equipment as you want, at the cost of your encumbrance going up and making you worse at basically everything related to that body part. A dozen pairs of boots will make you run as slow as a snail. Well, more slowly, going by the in-game snails.

I suppose, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't be renamed to an item that makes sense to be consumed. Tickets would make sense for one use maybe, but semantics I guess.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

New Stable version has been released! Which probably isn't terribly new to most of you. It comes packaged with the two real tilesets we're supporting, though - Deon's big fancy one and Hodor's dense familiar looking one.

Is this the goon modified version? Where can I get it? I've been waiting for tiles to come back forever (I haven't played since Whales hung up his hat).

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Theres no current goon modified one, but as far as I can tell all of the improvements from the goon one have made their way into the official stable by now, which is pretty cool. Goonratulations!

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I hope ASCII is going to stay as an option. I'm not the kinda person who wants every videogame to be ASCII all the time but I thought it worked rather well in this game and the new tiles are kinda all over the place.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is. Although I did see someone working on an square ASCII tileset, which means you can have square letter tiles and a non square interface screen. It rules.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It is. Although I did see someone working on an square ASCII tileset, which means you can have square letter tiles and a non square interface screen. It rules.

Yeah that sounds pretty cool.

Also do NPC's get hungry/tired/thirsty? I turned them on for the hell of it and now I've got a buddy who is doing a surprisingly good job of watching my back and I don't want him to suddenly keel over because he never drinks anything. Should I give them food and water or is that just a waste?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Last I checked their eating code was buggy. I don't think they need to eat, but they can bug out and try and eat their items.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Just got the latest version, can't wait to try it out. By the way the front page needs some fixing, the nightly build link seems to be broken and the latest stable is outdated.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh, blegh, it seems the tile version doesn't play nice with running in non tiles mode and squaring a font like the curses version did. Don't know what to do now.

edit: found it! http://assets.cataclysmdda.com/downloads/windows_binaries/cddacurses-v0.8.zip if anyone else needs it. Hopefully there will be a nice square font tiles out soon and I can have the best of both worlds, but the current tile sets, though nice, don't display things I like, like beds in trucks and stuff.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Huh.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Well, at least your safe house is in safe place, right?

Unless... well, mosquitos...

Inadequately posted:

Just got the latest version, can't wait to try it out. By the way the front page needs some fixing, the nightly build link seems to be broken and the latest stable is outdated.
Mac version I assume? Linux version was misnamed and this was fixed this morning, I think we just got the mac version a little while ago and it should be up sooner or later.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
For fucks sake is there some way to make fungaloids/fungal spires not spawn on worldgen or something? They aren't even a good challenge it's just "you have royal jelly and gas mask so you win" or "you don't have either of those so you immediately lose."

Edit: I'm not even trying to moan about it being too hard here it's not impossible to have a filter mask handy its just that even if you DO have the stuff to deal with it's incredibly boring.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 17, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's no way to prevent spires specifically, unless you hack them out of the game file, but they (and most other monster-type enemies) are turned off if you activate the "classic zombies" option in the menu. Kind of ruins the fun to me, though.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

There's no way to prevent spires specifically, unless you hack them out of the game file, but they (and most other monster-type enemies) are turned off if you activate the "classic zombies" option in the menu. Kind of ruins the fun to me, though.

Yeah I actually like the other things because they are not a choice between a bunch of busywork with no reward besides less funagloids or instadeath.

Also did grabbing and pulling things just get added in this version? It's pretty neat to just pull broken down car chassis into a ring around my base to slow down the zombies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The easiest way to deal with spires in practice is to just drive up to them, ignore all the fungoloids, set the patch on fire and then throw a mininuke right into the middle of it. Two or three bundles of C4 will also do. The fungal enemies will then slowly despawn out of existence. It's not really the solution you wanted, but maybe it helps anyway.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I tend to push in fast and quiet (fungaloids are blind) with my inventory stocked with a good rifle, a couple hundred rounds and all the M72s and thrown explosives I can carry. Remember to activate your LAWs first to save time. Open with a rocket salvo to bust the fungal wall and soften the spire, then follow with a flurry of explosives. Once the spire is dead, clean up the train of fungaloids with rifle shots (your remaining grenades and molotovs are useful here if you have any, to kill those annoying spores).

Spires are less of a challenge and more of a milestone in your progress. You can tell you're gaining traction with a character's skills and gear when you feel confident tackling one. At that point, it's more of a sink for resources that you've probably been hoarding at that point anyway. At least compared to triffid hearts, which are loving nightmares unless you're kitted out with power armor, a jackhammer and the skills and weapons to fight in extended multi-combatant CQB.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I tend to just drive as close as I can, circle around a bit to clear a small area, then just shoot it dead with regular arrows/bullets before setting the patch on fire. With a high enough firearms skill it's not too much of a hassle. I don't know if fungal zombies respawn if they're not butchered, though I doubt it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This has really changed since last I played it (2 versions ago.)

Gonna have fun figuring out all the new stuff, also I really will have to try a six point start instead of 24 which I did in all the previous ones. It seems like there is enough stuff that the progression would be fun now.

I noticed there's apparently a lot of old fashioned tools which you can use in liu of high tech ones, that's pretty awesome. I like that you can sort of build a workshop and do more stuff in there than you can elsewhere.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Full changelog for 0.8 has some goodies: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=3254.0

quote:

Draggable vhicles, e.g. shopping carts.
Memorial file listing player history.
Tiles!

Memorials are nice for your badass dead guys, and carts would be a nice way to haul around a bunch of looted junk from towns without grabbing two backpacks or fixing up a car.

quote:

Basic farming support.

Unsure if this means farming is in, or they're just testing the framework. Probably the latter. I wonder if you could inject seeds with mutagen to grow GMOs? Or triffids.
EDIT: Evidently if you examine dirt mounds you can plant seeds.

quote:

Beanbag rounds for shotguns and grenade launchers.

I demand beanbag chairs.

quote:

Pneumatic weapons.

Choo choo, railway rifle incoming. (wait, we already have the nail rifle)

quote:

Vehicle collisions based on SCIENCE!

:science:

quote:

When in a square with clothes and bedding, sleeping players will use them for warmth.

Bed of coats!

quote:

Plastic item crafting.

A use for bags? Hooray!

quote:

Blacksmithing.
Heated melee weapons.

FLAMING CUSTOM KATANAS :krad:

-------------

First zombie I encountered in 0.8 was wearing a gimp mask.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 17, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Spaceking posted:

First zombie I encountered in 0.8 was wearing a gimp mask.

The mental image alone is terrifying, but thinking about it, that doesn't sound very threatening at all :v:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
The mask has an option to obscure all vision. I wish I could've done that to the zombie and watch him flail. :v:

Second attempt had me crafting a 2-by-sword (not a bad newbie weapon, but inferior to the PIPE) and a rock-in-a-sock. I chased after a rabbit with the rock-in-a-sock in a sad attempt to pummel it. I landed a single hit and the game couldn't comprehend it, then crashed. Evidently it doesn't like cloth as a weapon.

Rock-in-a-Sock: Destroys the world in a single hit.

EDIT: Crafting got nerfed a lot it seems. Ripping a sheet up only gives 3 rags (I think they used to give 10?), yet it still takes 20 to make one. Odd.
Can't even make arrows without a level in Archery, though that's easy to get with a self bow and some arrow shafts.
Can purify water by charcoal now, and even craft Crack Pipes.
Butchering seems to be a lot easier now; less destroying meat.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 17, 2013

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My skills have seriously degraded since the last time I played. Slaughtered every which way I turn. There are ZOMBIE DOGS now. Also, some of the starting professions are a little eyebrow raising, but Shower Victim is funny. It's good to be back.

edit: 2-by-sword is also chuckleworthy.

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 17, 2013

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Do I have to get a bigger car to be able to drive over bushes now? I was driving around in a standard 4-door sedan and I couldn't drive over any bushes. That really cramped my style, had to actually stick to roads like some kind of a commoner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kinda want to make a character with a bunch of really useless skills, all the speed upgrades, call him Rincewind and run around with a rock in a sock preying on small woodland critters.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Inadequately posted:

I don't know if fungal zombies respawn if they're not butchered, though I doubt it.
They don't do the "re-rising from the dead" thing. They respawn as long as there's still a spire, though.

Spaceking posted:

EDIT: Crafting got nerfed a lot it seems. Ripping a sheet up only gives 3 rags (I think they used to give 10?), yet it still takes 20 to make one. Odd.
Can't even make arrows without a level in Archery, though that's easy to get with a self bow and some arrow shafts.
Those things have been in for a while now. If it hasn't been changed since I last played, then your tailoring skill decides how many rags you get while cutting things up. After two or three ranks you will get the full 20 again.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It seems to depend on how you cut them up - I think I can usually get the full twenty if I use scissors even at low levels, but knives tend to give me random amounts.

Has combat been rebalanced? Melee attacks seem to be doing a bit more damage, and arrows quite a bit less than I remember. I do wish archery leveled up quicker, but at least now I can clear out a street with a hammer on day one.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
God I love bear traps. So useful.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

How is bonemeal/chitin powder fertilizer supposed to work?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Has combat been rebalanced? Melee attacks seem to be doing a bit more damage, and arrows quite a bit less than I remember. I do wish archery leveled up quicker, but at least now I can clear out a street with a hammer on day one.

Archery hasn't been nerfed so much as made more complicated. Used to be you could just turn any wooden object into 10 free arrows and that was basically the only ammo you could craft, making archery amazing in the early game and godawful against anything with damage resistance. Now when you craft a wood arrow shaft you are just making a blunt stick, you have to craft heads to put on them to make them decently lethal.

On the upside you can now craft exploding Rambo arrows and make your own steel arrows so archery is actually pretty viable for most of the game, just more complicated.

Also shopping carts are the loving best. Is there some way I can get multiple shopping carts and rope them together so I can be snaking through the city with some kind of ridiculous hobo caravan?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tyskil posted:

Archery hasn't been nerfed so much as made more complicated. Used to be you could just turn any wooden object into 10 free arrows and that was basically the only ammo you could craft, making archery amazing in the early game and godawful against anything with damage resistance. Now when you craft a wood arrow shaft you are just making a blunt stick, you have to craft heads to put on them to make them decently lethal.

On the upside you can now craft exploding Rambo arrows and make your own steel arrows so archery is actually pretty viable for most of the game, just more complicated.

Also shopping carts are the loving best. Is there some way I can get multiple shopping carts and rope them together so I can be snaking through the city with some kind of ridiculous hobo caravan?

Yes, get a welder, a shitton of batteries, a wrench, a hacksaw, and some mechanical skill. Take a few of the carts to pieces and stick the pieces on one of the other ones as you would modify any vehicle. Stick spiked plating on the front while you're at it. I have no idea if that would hurt anything but do it anyway.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I know, I've been playing from the free arrows era. Still, arrows seem to be doing noticeably less damage than the last stable version with fabrication.

Can you modify folding bicycles? Haven't found one in this game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

Anticheese posted:

How is bonemeal/chitin powder fertilizer supposed to work?

Bone meal is a real fertilizer, popular with organic types.