Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I quite liked the anime version of her breaking face since it was completely out of left field and surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashweh
Apr 29, 2013
I preferred the manga version of this scene, mostly because all she had to do was smile really creepy and it was apparent that she was the female type titan. The anime version certainly doesn't ruin her character, but overall (throughout the episode) it felt like they were trying to make her more sympathetic than the manga did.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
The thing to remember is that anime and manga are completely different mediums, and something as subtle as Annie grinning in the manga might not translate well into animation. Personally, I think they did an okay job. The anime will always take liberties to make changes or even small filler arcs just because that's how development goes.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
Was the corruption in the MP (selling equipment on the black market) a filler sequence because I'm pretty sure it didn't happen in the manga...? Either way, I hope it was some foreshadowing to something when the anime diverges away from the manga. I love foreshadowing.

As for blushing and laughing Annie... Wow, I was confused. I think that was the point.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Eej posted:

Oh no, it's about the ~*blushing*~ being a massive departure from her manga representation. I skimmed a couple of entries (that were very, very long) so I didn't get the real gist of it aside from "anime version ruins Annie" but there's the interpretation that the "blushing and laughing is a sign that she's broken down and not in control unlike the Annie in the manga who is cold and calculating" as well as "I haven't watched the anime but they ruined Annie by sexualizing her by making her blush and laugh" and okay I need to stop

e: lol

I don't see how the reactions are out of proportion when a large reason the story became so popular with a lot of people was that it's rare to find media that's relatively respectful of it's female characters (I really wouldn't call snk "progressive" in that regard but not-terrible is a step in the right direction) and this change reduced Annie's character to a pretty basic anime trope. It retroactively paints all her actions as "she did it because she was mentally unhinged" when part of what was fascinating about Annie was that she did all these cruel things while understanding perfectly well what she was doing yet still felt justified in doing so. Also don't loving tell me the director didn't realize what connotations this: would have.

It's alright if you think that scene was fine, I personally wouldn't say it ruined anything (just kind of shat on characterization a little) but it's kind of weird to be so dismissive of people who are upset that the media they assumed was safe from this crap just reinforces the notion that lovely portrayals of women are never going to go away, because as far as reasons for being upset go... that seems like a pretty good one to me?

All I'm saying is that if Reiner and Bertolt's confession gets animated and they don't have weird skeevy blushes like out of some hentai I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Bisensual posted:

Was the corruption in the MP (selling equipment on the black market) a filler sequence because I'm pretty sure it didn't happen in the manga...? Either way, I hope it was some foreshadowing to something when the anime diverges away from the manga. I love foreshadowing.

As for blushing and laughing Annie... Wow, I was confused. I think that was the point.

That was definitely a filler sequence, and in return they cut out a bit of Annie's speech to Marlow from earlier.

Annie's laugh was creepy as gently caress, in my opinion, and just as good as her smile in the manga. The blushing was a bit much, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Annie blushing reminds me of the jokes that were made about anime Mikasa earlier in the thread.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

yellowyams posted:

I don't see how the reactions are out of proportion when a large reason the story became so popular with a lot of people was that it's rare to find media that's relatively respectful of it's female characters (I really wouldn't call snk "progressive" in that regard but not-terrible is a step in the right direction) and this change reduced Annie's character to a pretty basic anime trope. It retroactively paints all her actions as "she did it because she was mentally unhinged" when part of what was fascinating about Annie was that she did all these cruel things while understanding perfectly well what she was doing yet still felt justified in doing so. Also don't loving tell me the director didn't realize what connotations this: would have.

It's alright if you think that scene was fine, I personally wouldn't say it ruined anything (just kind of shat on characterization a little) but it's kind of weird to be so dismissive of people who are upset that the media they assumed was safe from this crap just reinforces the notion that lovely portrayals of women are never going to go away, because as far as reasons for being upset go... that seems like a pretty good one to me?

All I'm saying is that if Reiner and Bertolt's confession gets animated and they don't have weird skeevy blushes like out of some hentai I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

I agree. Reading other forums, which are full of posts like "annie so sexy with that blush" and "she's such a hot yandere", it almost feels like that was the anime's goal, as opposed to in the manga where her smile is very Titan-like and unnerving. But I've had some issues with the direction of the anime for a while, so this all feels like just another thing on the list for me.

Then there's the fanservicey/waifu-pandering end cards, and the magazine art with Mikasa and Christa, it definitely feels like the anime is selling on the girls as opposed to the manga where Isayama draws "sexy" joke pictures of Mikasa as a buff MMA fighter/idol.

Sexy Bertholdt would be alright though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

I agree. Reading other forums, which are full of posts like "annie so sexy with that blush" and "she's such a hot yandere", it almost feels like that was the anime's goal, as opposed to in the manga where her smile is very Titan-like and unnerving. But I've had some issues with the direction of the anime for a while, so this all feels like just another thing on the list for me.

Then there's the fanservicey/waifu-pandering end cards, and the magazine art with Mikasa and Christa, it definitely feels like the anime is selling on the girls as opposed to the manga where Isayama draws "sexy" joke pictures of Mikasa as a buff MMA fighter/idol.

Sexy Bertholdt would be alright though.
I agree with this, although I'm not quite sure what fanservicey end cards you're talking about, as I didn't even realize the anime had end cards other than that one of kid Mikasa and her scarf.

But yeah, sexy Bert. :pervert:

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

RubberLuffy posted:

I was legitimately disturbed by Annie's smiling and blushing, it was a lot more unnerving than the predatory smile in the manga

I honestly think anyone who thinks her "breakdown" is sexy or whatever is a fuckin weirdo, the animation distorts her features and exaggerates her mouth to look increasingly monstrous. The smiling and blushing just makes it weirder.

FeedingHam2Cats fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 15, 2013

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I'm guessing that the people calling Annie's smile "sexy" are the same kind of people who unironically wish Yuno from Future Diary was stalking them.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

I agree with this, although I'm not quite sure what fanservicey end cards you're talking about, as I didn't even realize the anime had end cards other than that one of kid Mikasa and her scarf.

But yeah, sexy Bert. :pervert:

Crunchyroll article about the end cards, which are mostly awesome, but then you get to the incredibly out of place last one. Since it's an older article it's missing the one of the main girls all in wedding dresses and a few others.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Several people posted:

I'm willing to blame this on animation quality. You can take an individual frame (or two or twenty) and have it seem like she's supposed to look sexy, but as a whole, that scene is rather disturbing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

yellowyams posted:

Well Bert tries to laugh it off and Reiner blushes in embarrassment already so we just need to animate it.

Also I don't think that this scene changes her character at all. It's also a really big stretch to say it's a lovely portrayal of women and retroactively makes the show Bad For Feminism.

Part of it is manga vs anime. A single frame can convey the desired effect while animation can use audio as well as force you to linger on a scene to get the desired effect. 3 seconds of a grin before flipping the page versus 10 seconds of her laughing. Her uncharacteristic laughing itself is supposed to disturb the viewer because in media when people start laughing when they are cornered you know something terrible is about to happen. It's more powerful when it comes from a usually emotionally flat character (see also Mikasa hugging Eren in relief after he comes out of the titan, which came out more powerful in animated form as well).

As for the blushing, I'm not going to speak for directorial intent. People blush when they get embarrassed, like when they are caught in a lie or if they are beaten somehow by a person they deem weaker than them. People blush when they laugh very hard, like when laughing at the absurdity of your situation. Or I guess you could blush because it's anime and the only time they bother to colour cheeks is because you are moe or in a hentai.

Also stop taking that one still out of context. It's almost as dumb as those mid action Naruto stills that mock the quality of the animation.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I don't really know why I decided to put this in the animé thread, since you guys are actually talking about it here, but I guess I'll post it here too:

Apparently Annie laughing is based on a part of the scene that Isayama cut out from the draft of the manga, and later regretted doing so. Annie is supposed to be laughing from the relief of not having to lie any-more and is "turning back into a normal 16 year old girl". Normal being relative with someone like her.

I agree that it could have been handled better though.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 15, 2013

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
The idea of Annie laughing during her breakdown isn't so bad but it just had very poor execution and didn't really get across her desperation or self-loathing or any of the actually interesting aspects of her character, it just made her look crazy. The entire scene hinges on her expression in that moment and the one they drew didn't convey any of the things it should've, maybe they'll fix it in blu-ray.

The blush was what really hosed up the scene for me though, maybe if they'd toned it down I wouldn't care so much but as it was it just looked inappropriate and out of place.

e:

Pensive posted:

I don't really know why I decided to put this in the aminé thread, since you guys are actually talking about it here, but I guess I'll post it here too:

Apparently Annie laughing is based on a part of the scene that Isayama cut out from the draft of the manga, and later regretted doing so. Annie is supposed to be laughing from the relief of not having to lie any-more and is "turning back into a normal 16 year old girl". Normal being relative with someone like her.

I agree that it was a bit overdone though.

See, it really does rest entirely on the execution. If they'd been more faithful to the expressions here I think the scene would have gone over a lot better. Still want to know what the gently caress they were thinking with the over-the-top blush.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 15, 2013

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I think it's pretty safe to say any filler and changes are being made with Isayama in the loop, since they're going to be following an unfinished manga.

I didn't mind the Annie laugh but the blushing felt out of place artistically.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...
The blushing was a tiny bit weird, but it's a loving anime. The scene got the message across just fine: Annie is a loving psycho and has cracked under all the stress.

I think the manga did do it better, but who cares? They have 2 more episodes to go over all of Annies problems.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

i300 posted:

The blushing was a tiny bit weird, but it's a loving anime. The scene got the message across just fine: Annie is a loving psycho and has cracked under all the stress.

Well maybe, but I think it's more along the lines of "i don't have to lie anymore and be cool and calculating so it's a big fuckin relief despite the fact that i'm screwed"

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

i300 posted:

I think the manga did do it better, but who cares? They have 2 more episodes to go over all of Annies problems.

Has someone already made a Smooth Criminal joke? Because I think someone should ask Annie if she's okay.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Also "tumblr overreacts to a thing" is the "dog bites man" of anything the internet likes, Titan included.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?

yellowyams posted:

The idea of Annie laughing during her breakdown isn't so bad but it just had very poor execution and didn't really get across her desperation or self-loathing or any of the actually interesting aspects of her character, it just made her look crazy. The entire scene hinges on her expression in that moment and the one they drew didn't convey any of the things it should've, maybe they'll fix it in blu-ray.

The blush was what really hosed up the scene for me though, maybe if they'd toned it down I wouldn't care so much but as it was it just looked inappropriate and out of place.

Same, that was most of the issue for me. The manga laugh shown does get across that self-loathing and guilt but the anime just makes her look happy. It's even worse than that single frame in motion because of the coy arm-grab.

It's mostly just disappointing :( The anime does so well on many other things.

This timing does leave me curious on where they'll leave off for another season, or even when another season could happen. They've caught up with a lot of the manga so far.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Assuming a rough estimate of 33 chapters per season, they'll have enough material in a year. The real tough wait would be season 3 if Titan lasts 100 chapters, although they might just do OVAs or something.

(Someone earlier in the thread gave the 100 chapter number based on similar mangas, I might be mis-remembering)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Assuming it turns into some kind of gigantic warrior on warrior brawl with Mikasa, Levi and others swinging inbetween, the ending would best be suited as an OVA series so can secure budget for it.

Also Annie is blushing while laughing in the draft too. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elotana posted:

Assuming a rough estimate of 33 chapters per season, they'll have enough material in a year. The real tough wait would be season 3 if Titan lasts 100 chapters, although they might just do OVAs or something.

(Someone earlier in the thread gave the 100 chapter number based on similar mangas, I might be mis-remembering)
Yeah I just can't see this manga getting resolved in 100 chapters, looking at something like Fullmetal Alchemist which was another monthly manga and ended in close to that number of chapters.

When FMA was like at the 50 chapter mark we knew who the villain was and how far down the rabbit hole things went for corruption within the military. It was basically defined that Father was as high as it went, and he needed to go down for things to be resolved.

We have nothing close to that in AoT right now. If they manage to reach the basement, maybe --and this is a huge maybe-- we will have an idea of what needs to happen for the story to achieve a resolution. That could be 5-10 or more chapters from now, or it could be longer, or I could be wrong and that information will come from somewhere else.

And then lord knows how many chapters it would take to actually resolve things.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Bisensual posted:

Has someone already made a Smooth Criminal joke? Because I think someone should ask Annie if she's okay.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlXeAb0TgIM

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
That was quick, beautiful, and hilarious. Thanks for sharing that.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I really love this edit, even though it turns a serious moment into a Monty Python-esque skit.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RubberLuffy posted:

Crunchyroll article about the end cards, which are mostly awesome,

What is going on here? A mix of Armored and Colossal?

RubberLuffy posted:

but then you get to the incredibly out of place last one. Since it's an older article it's missing the one of the main girls all in wedding dresses and a few others.
Yea I wasn't expecting the rear end shot at the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RubberLuffy posted:

Crunchyroll article about the end cards, which are mostly awesome, but then you get to the incredibly out of place last one. Since it's an older article it's missing the one of the main girls all in wedding dresses and a few others.
Sasha's VA's is by far the best.

Fyana
Sep 12, 2009

Catgirl IRL
What I'm getting out of posts like yellowyams' or RubberLuffy's is less that there's any legitimacy in being upset about the directorial decisions "ruining" Annie, and more that we're supposed to unfairly hold the reactions of creepy weirdos against the director. I think the bigger problem is that there are people out there who see being mentally unhinged as "hot" or "sexual". That they can look at Annie as she stands there, as you can practically hear something inside her break, and go "Oh I'd totes bang that chick". I don't think that's any problem of the director, author, artists, or anyone involved in the televising of SnK.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Haman posted:

What I'm getting out of posts like yellowyams' or RubberLuffy's is less that there's any legitimacy in being upset about the directorial decisions "ruining" Annie, and more that we're supposed to unfairly hold the reactions of creepy weirdos against the director. I think the bigger problem is that there are people out there who see being mentally unhinged as "hot" or "sexual". That they can look at Annie as she stands there, as you can practically hear something inside her break, and go "Oh I'd totes bang that chick". I don't think that's any problem of the director, author, artists, or anyone involved in the televising of SnK.

I think the backup argument is that by including elements that might end up appealing in yandere-lovers, the creators are presumptively pandering to that audience. Which is still rather silly, if it requires that creators must excise anything that certain people might like just to avoid having them enjoy it, permanently placing a large number of plot elements out of bounds based on a strange sort of puritanism. Creepers gonna creep regardless, so writers may as well write without worrying about it.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011

Haman posted:

I'm trying to say the execution was poo poo actually. I don't think the weird yandere fetishists are reaching too far to get off on this scene because that's pretty much exactly how it came across and that's why people are kinda mad. If they weren't specifically trying to pander to that type then they sure did a bad job. The whole scene could have been fixed if they just adjusted her expression a little, toned down the blush and maybe made the laughs more sad and bitter instead of high-pitched and crazy. I know I said earlier that Isayama's draft was fine but honestly I think it was better to just cut it, he wanted a character to show too many different emotions in one scene with minimal dialogue and it just wound up a mess.

Anyway, in an effort to steer this away from anime discussion, I'm surprised no one posted these Isayama illustrations when they were floating around (or at least I didn't see it):

NiceAaron
Oct 19, 2003

Devote your hearts to the cause~

onepixeljumpman posted:

Now now, everyone loves Christa.

Just found this. The place I found it doesn't say if it's official, but I'd assume it's not. Reiner looks very appropriate drawn in Tetsuo Hara's style.

Is it just me, or do some of these look like they would make sweet avatars? (Especially if you use GIS to get a higher-res image to start from.)

Hopefully it's not just me...!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/qKYZdr1.jpg

Good lord Mikasa's spine is doing the loop de loop!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I would read the hell out of Titans Babies.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

yellowyams posted:

Anyway, in an effort to steer this away from anime discussion, I'm surprised no one posted these Isayama illustrations when they were floating around (or at least I didn't see it):

Eren and Jean's Comedy Duet is wonderful. So is Sasha's rock band.
Also this \/

Schubalts posted:

I would read the hell out of Titans Babies.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Genocyber posted:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/qKYZdr1.jpg

Good lord Mikasa's spine is doing the loop de loop!

Yeah, this is probably one of the most egregious examples of the "Girl is twisting such that you can see her boobs and rear end at the same time" pose, AKA the Hawkeye Initiative pose, I've ever seen.

Also, I love that Connie's playing the tambourine. It's so fitting. :allears:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Eren and Jean comedy duo, the Sasha, Reiner, Connie band, and of course Mikasa as an idol. :allears: They could have a real talent show going with a few more acts.

And goodness that Mikasa end card is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

And goodness that Mikasa end card is terrible.

That's also the artist who is doing the art for the bluray visual novels for volumes 3 and 6. An artist who is pretty much only known for drawing AoT rear end porn. Yeah.