Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sports posted:

How can Lenovo out a Y510 for anything above $800?
Pretty easily, actually. I mean, this is sort of thing is their competition right now: ASUS G55VW. $930 is pretty decent for a reasonably well-built Haswell i7 laptop with 1080p and a 750M. MSI has their GE60, which sports a 765M, but is also $1200+. Sager and their re-brands have a variety of similar laptops, but all are easily over $1000 and don't include a cache (which isn't a huge deal, but it's something).

Not really sure what you're expecting; out of all of the mid-level "gaming laptops" the Y-series is probably one of the best bangs for your buck, and they have the added bonus of a better build quality than most of their competitors, even ones which are a few hundred dollars more expensive.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was just checking my Y410 order and I realized that the model I chose has a GT755M instead of a GT750M.

Normally, I'd assume that bigger number = better, but graphics cards will sometimes really gently caress you around with model numbers.

Is the GT755M better than the GT750? Looking at the spec sheet for both, apparently the GT750M has a "6.3x" performance score (1x being an HD4000, for whatever reason), while the GT755M has a "6.7x" performance score.

However, the GT750m has "GPU Boost 2.0" technology, which apparently automagically overclocks your GPU, which the 755m doesn't have.

Basically, did I gently caress up by ordering the 755m?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 16, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

However, the GT750m has "GPU Boost 2.0" technology, which apparently automagically overclocks your GPU, which the 755m doesn't have.

Basically, did I gently caress by ordering the 755m?
No, you're fine. Anything that talks about overclocking a GPU in a laptop is usually a terrible idea, anyhow. The 755M and 750M are pretty much on par for performance, and the 755M should be a bit more power-efficient overall. If anything, you got the better card.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I need to buy a laptop for university, and I can't decide between a Macbook Air and a Vaio 13 Pro. It's going to be my main computer, but I'd mostly use it for note taking, watching youtube, and maybe playing a low-demanding game sometimes. I've never used OS X, but the same thing goes for Windows 8. I've heard stories about the Vaio being of lower quality, but on the other hand, it's almost 200€ cheaper and comes with the free external battery. Any thoughts?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

No, you're fine. Anything that talks about overclocking a GPU in a laptop is usually a terrible idea, anyhow. The 755M and 750M are pretty much on par for performance, and the 755M should be a bit more power-efficient overall. If anything, you got the better card.

Fantastic, thanks. Now back to hoping that Lenovo will actually ship this thing at a reasonable date.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Call Now posted:

I need to buy a laptop for university, and I can't decide between a Macbook Air and a Vaio 13 Pro.

The Vaio's external battery will bring it to the same weight and battery life as the 13" MacBook Air.

The big differences:

- A 16:10 screen vs. 16:9 screen.
- A good 1440x900 TN panel vs. a good 1920x1080 IPS panel.
- A good keyboard vs. a questionable keyboard.
- A great trackpad vs. one I haven't tried but it's probably good.
- OS X vs. Windows

I would get the MacBook Air, mainly because of the keyboard, secondarily because of the 16:10 screen.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

shrughes posted:

secondarily because of the 16:10 screen.
yet the 16:9 still has more vertical resolution

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

yet the 16:9 still has more vertical resolution

Yeah, but it will by default scale the text to reduce the amount of lines.

Also, it's a Sony we're talking about here, whose track record hasn't been exactly stellar when it comes to QC or tech support.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Yeah if you're strictly deciding between those two I wouldn't get the Sony either tbh. My powerbook in college was unreliable garbage but it was at least a straightforward process when it needed fixing. (I've heard apple's gotten better about reliability now fwiw)

I'm personally holding out for the T440s, as I really like thinkpad keyboards and my T61p held out for 5.5 years of regular commuting/transport before finally giving up to some nvidia chipset issue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Call Now posted:

I need to buy a laptop for university, and I can't decide between a Macbook Air and a Vaio 13 Pro. It's going to be my main computer, but I'd mostly use it for note taking, watching youtube, and maybe playing a low-demanding game sometimes. I've never used OS X, but the same thing goes for Windows 8. I've heard stories about the Vaio being of lower quality, but on the other hand, it's almost 200€ cheaper and comes with the free external battery. Any thoughts?

Have you considered buying a Chromebook instead? It can do all 3 of those things but is only $200. Even if you want to go beyond web-based games, people have reported a lot of success with installing Ubuntu and then playing all sorts of surprising things on Linux Steam (Killing Floor, TF2, pretty much anything in a Humble Bundle, etc)

e: In Euro prices it's still probably your cheapest option, but still hits all of your stated requirements

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 16, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
HP is going to release a surprisingly good looking Haswell chromebook before the holiday season. I'm picking one up in the turquoise color if the initial reviews don't turn out to be "floppy piece of dick plastic, don't buy." Haswell, too, means better IGP performance, if even marginally, and better battery life, which is the big thing Chromebooks should care about.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
The estimated battery life for the new set of Chromebooks has hovered around 8 and 9 hours- so if anybody isn't up for dropping $$$ on a Yoga/Air/what-have-you, there should be a few sub-$400 offerings by HP, Toshiba, Asus, and Acer.

These are planned to ship before the holiday season. I posted a link to the Netbook Megathread.

I've seen issues with HP, Toshiba, and Asus laptops that have been bought by friends/family, but the Chromebook line is heavily monitored by Google and the extra attention should probably transfer over into really good product. Google's work with Samsung and Acer on the last series of Chromebooks was pretty stellar- QC was great and the laptops were lauded for their value.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Have you considered buying a Chromebook instead?

I couldn't suggest a Chromebook for university, at some point you are going to have to load some custom software for one of your classes.

They're great for moms and people in the real world but in an institutional situation at some point your professor is going to ask for XYZ from program Omega

A Nexus 7 is great for taking notes with and a desktop will satisfy the rest of your university workload, but you're really gambling with your education on a one trick pony like the Chromebook as your primary computer.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
To be fair, some of the Chromebooks aren't much more expensive than a Nexus 7, so if you're already assuming they're gonna plunk down for one of those and a desktop, you can be safe in recommending a Chromebook and then picking up a cheap desktop if/when you run into something else you need. Or use the computer-lab, which many times will have that specific bit of software anyhow.

(though I do agree in principle with you that you're unlikely to get all the way through a 4yr education on not-a-PC, unless maybe you're a law or humanities student or something who will never ever need a computer for anything more taxing than Word, Firefox, and maybe Excel to do some light statistics)

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Hadlock posted:

They're great for moms

?

Chromebooks are very agreeable machines- Most required programs are available on shared workstations at uni.

Of course, if you really wanted to never leave the dorm you'd probably enjoy a more capable craft.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My entire university just switched to Canvas for pretty much everything academic, so all you really need for 90% of classes is something that dumps word docs or has a web browser, keyboard and internet connection.

e: Yeah, I realize that's specific to my university, but it's still pretty much true unless you're in a CAD program and need triple quad-core CPUs and 8TB of RAM.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 16, 2013

stanislaus
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone have opinions on a best ultrabook in the $1000-1400 range? I'd be using it mainly for Microsoft office/light programming, so no real need for touchscreen or a decent graphics card. Currently leaning towards a macbook air, the build quality, support, and battery life seem tough to beat.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

stanislaus posted:

Does anyone have opinions on a best ultrabook in the $1000-1400 range? I'd be using it mainly for Microsoft office/light programming, so no real need for touchscreen or a decent graphics card. Currently leaning towards a macbook air, the build quality, support, and battery life seem tough to beat.

I don't know about upcoming competitors but the MBA is still king in build quality and battery life. Support is Apple support - at least you get to talk to a real person in the U.S.

I think the new Ativ Book 9 Plus (is that the name) sports like, a 3200x1800 display, which beats the MBA. But Windows scaling sucks poo poo. Battery life on that guy should be good and build quality decent, but if you need it now, you can't really go wrong with the Air.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know about upcoming competitors but the MBA is still king in build quality and battery life. Support is Apple support - at least you get to talk to a real person in the U.S.

I think the new Ativ Book 9 Plus (is that the name) sports like, a 3200x1800 display, which beats the MBA. But Windows scaling sucks poo poo. Battery life on that guy should be good and build quality decent, but if you need it now, you can't really go wrong with the Air.

Buy it from the Windows store if you do, they sell laptops without the crapware.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I couldn't suggest a Chromebook for university, at some point you are going to have to load some custom software for one of your classes.

They're great for moms and people in the real world but in an institutional situation at some point your professor is going to ask for XYZ from program Omega

A Nexus 7 is great for taking notes with and a desktop will satisfy the rest of your university workload, but you're really gambling with your education on a one trick pony like the Chromebook as your primary computer.

I just got out of university, and whenever I needed some special software it was either A) available in Linux, in which case a Chromebook can run it because it's really easy to install Linux on them, or B) processor-intensive and hosted on a server somewhere on campus, which you'd access via SSH in a terminal window, so Linux again. There's nothing "for moms" about these laptops, they're actually quite versatile if your needs don't include Microsoft Windows specifically. They might even be able to run Windows for all I know, I just haven't bothered checking.

Or if you don't feel like ever installing Linux, then you go to the computer lab and run the software there

e: You can easily get through 4-5 years of university on one of these no matter what your degree is in unless you specifically need to run processor-intensive software on your personal computer for some reason, in which case you'd still be better off buying a desktop for that and then using a Chromebook or some other equally cheap laptop for everything else. Any science and engineering university worth its salt is going to have significant computing resources on-campus available via SSH connections, so your laptop's processing power is a moot point when it comes to these types of degrees.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 16, 2013

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

My current laptop is dying and I'm struggling to identify what to replace it with. I'm definitely leaning towards "small and cheap" at this point. All I really need to do is browse internet, watch dvds, maybe netflix etc. Ideally I'd like to throw linux on it and use that day to day. I'm on the fence between netbook and laptop but it seems like a netbook might struggle with HD video, and a laptop might be too unwieldy.

Is there a sweetspot between the two that can be filled for sub £350?

Edit: Still casting around. Finding one with an optical drive these days is getting increasingly difficult which is a real shame, so I may have to forgo that part.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 16, 2013

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

NtotheTC posted:

My current laptop is dying and I'm struggling to identify what to replace it with. I'm definitely leaning towards "small and cheap" at this point. All I really need to do is browse internet, watch dvds, maybe netflix etc. Ideally I'd like to throw linux on it and use that day to day. I'm on the fence between netbook and laptop but it seems like a netbook might struggle with HD video, and a laptop might be too unwieldy.

Edit: Still casting around. Finding one with an optical drive these days is getting increasingly difficult which is a real shame, so I may have to forgo that part.

You should definitely look around on the Lenovo outlet.

I just bought a U410 Touch with an i7/1tb drive/8gb RAM/710m on there for $500 and if it weren't for the 1366x768 display, I'd consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NtotheTC posted:

You can buy external disc drives, for the record. They're like the price of a DVD. So don't worry about having to find that.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

In that case, what about the Acer Aspire V5-121 11.6-inch? It fills the "small & cheap" holes nicely. No clue what it's like to live with however.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NtotheTC posted:

In that case, what about the Acer Aspire V5-121 11.6-inch? It fills the "small & cheap" holes nicely. No clue what it's like to live with however.

Read the Amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V...nDateDescending

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

A Chromebook with an external DVD drive can play SD and 480p, struggles with 1080p, and then 720p is sort of hit or miss (anything with h.264 encoding supposedly works great, other encoding not so much). At least it's cheap. Other netbooks might perform better

You should definitely just get an external DVD drive, they're very cheap and portable

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you (or your parents :v:) have $2,000 and want to buy a gaming laptop, there's a review up of Alienware's latest 18" beast

http://anandtech.com/show/7332/alienware-18-gaming-notebook-review

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

If you (or your parents :v:) have $2,000 and want to buy a gaming laptop, there's a review up of Alienware's latest 18" beast

The review unit is actually priced at $3.844.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Bob Morales posted:

I think my desktop weighs that much. Good lawd.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Silly poors complaining about a computer that they wish they could afford. Does it come in gold plated?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Duck and Cover posted:

Silly poors complaining about a computer that they wish they could afford. Does it come in gold plated?

For that kind of cash I think that 99% of users would get a 15" rMBP, though. If I really needed a GPU monster to be somewhat portable I'd build a mini-ITX desktop and make a carrying case instead of buying a 12+ pound 18" laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

But it starts at $2,099!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Not only that, it can't even be ordered: they note that they're not yet selling the 780M version, but rather than 770M version (which should be substantially slower).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bob Morales posted:

But it starts at $2,099!

For what, a Celeron single-core and 512MB of RAM? Cheap as hell.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

For what, a Celeron single-core and 512MB of RAM? Cheap as hell.
Still 12lbs, though!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DrDork posted:

Still 12lbs, though!

Might be cramming an acceptable amount of battery life, then.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am missing something with this Lenovo?

It's $530. Here are the specs:
- i5-3230m: 2.6GHz
- 6GB Memory
- 500GB
- 5.3 Pounds

It's great for my price range, but it seems too good to be true. I just need it for school, work, indie games, and netflix.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 16, 2013

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

2-4hrs, depending on use. So...I guess that really depends on your definition of "acceptable."

Frijolero posted:

I am missing something with this Lenovo?

It's $530. Here are the specs:
- i5-3230m: 2.6GHz
- 6GB Memory
- 500GB
- 5.3 Pounds

It's great for my price range, but it seems too good to be true. I just need it for school, work, indie games, and netflix.
It's a last-gen laptop with mediocre build and component quality. It's a fair price for what you get (and don't get). Here's a review of basically the same laptop (minor part name fuckery because BestBuy manages to get model numbers exclusive to their stores): http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-z400-touch/4505-3121_7-35561178.html

e; it's also worth considering that for $100 more you can get a T430, which'll get you a poo poo-ton better build quality, a bigger battery, and shave about a pound off the weight. You do lose 100MHz off the CPU (ignorable) and 2GB of RAM ($25 from Newegg), but if you can swing the extra $100 you'll be a lot happier with the laptop you end up with.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Oh it has no battery. That wouldn't leave room for the GPUs.

That thing runs on diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Oh it has no battery. That wouldn't leave room for the GPUs.

That thing runs on diesel.
They're working on a hybrid version, but are currently hung up about submitting the forms to allow it into CA's HOV lanes.