Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

UppaTree posted:

Calling it now: at least for some people, having a great legend actually helps them grow in power. This explains why Tudiya lied his rear end off during his return home, despite doing legitimately badass things like..Y'know, eating lightning, rescuing our mother from cannibals and tearing dragons in half.

Why would someone this great feel the need to embellish his deeds? Everyone who walks through the gates of Zepath knows that Tudiya is practically a demigod, so there must be a reason beyond simply impressing people.

Yeh, I think some of this is plain old political struggle with Bareen and some of it a kind of 'attention' economy. I think this has to do with how and why our artifacts work in some contexts and not others. We might find that far away from Zepath or Zepathanian influences our feet get tired again, though by then the sandals may have also conditioned us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Basscop posted:

Eating the heart is the right thing to do.

Sounds perfectly reasonable. Voting this. H. Eat Spawn's heart!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nah. We should walk over to Spawn's corpse with Danal and TELL the other kids to get lost. If that doesn't work, we should slowly walk up to them while looking as dangerous as possible. After all, we're a 'cannibal', surely they've heard of us and what we do to kids.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I have plotted out a solid strategy for eating the heart and having the horns as well.
We head over and stand upon the corpse looking as badass as we can. Then we take our spear/sword that we grabbed on our way there if we find it, and cut open the beast's belly tossing the innards aside untill we reach the heart. We grab it tightly and cut the arteries.

Then we stand up, and raise the heart to the sky, silently bring it to our mouth and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AacImm1SHTg

When we are done the youngsters must surely be staring at us confused. We tell them to get lost, we are taking the beasts horns. Otherwise they will be next.

If we have to explain anything then: "El is in our hearts. We must find out what who is in their hearts so we can eradicate all other heathen religions" etc..

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Basscop posted:

I have plotted out a solid strategy for eating the heart and having the horns as well.

You are insane and your idea is insane.

I vote for this plan.

e: Let's not forget to bathe in the minotaur's blood.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 16, 2013

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Y'all forgot your roots.

B: Cannibalize the dead man Enkidel and Danal were trying to help!

E: Look for trophies. Try to find a minotaur hide that has a stripe in it!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Since people are still voting and debating, I will keep voting up till tomorrow at some point.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Basscop posted:

After extensive and back breaking research into the subject i have found out that eating Spawn's heart a) might give us power b) is delicious.
Grabbing a horn from a beast we didn't kill ourselves will be a) a useless trophy b) a waste of a grand opportunity.

Eating the heart is the right thing to do.

It'll also do wonders for our reputation as a bloodthirsty cannibal. Eat the heart.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

my dad posted:

Nah. We should walk over to Spawn's corpse with Danal and TELL the other kids to get lost. If that doesn't work, we should slowly walk up to them while looking as dangerous as possible. After all, we're a 'cannibal', surely they've heard of us and what we do to kids.

Surely they've also heard of what the people of Zepath do to cannibals though.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Diogines posted:

Since people are still voting and debating, I will keep voting up till tomorrow at some point.

No! drat you democracy! Keeping me from my sweet, sweet CYOA updates.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Ahhh gently caress it. Eat the heart SmashmouthEnkidel.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I just want all the loot and all the cool things.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Spreadsheet is up. What, did using vote letters go out of style when I wasn't posting spreadsheet links?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Canuck-Errant posted:

Spreadsheet is up. What, did using vote letters go out of style when I wasn't posting spreadsheet links?

Yes. And the range is wrong on the vote sums.

edit: Oh. I changed it and it actually saved the changes. It's fine now. I think.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D Be a manboy, get those horns!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I forget, does Danal have 6 fingers? Can we use our amazing powers of observation to see if any of the brawlers in the mosh pit have 6 fingers?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

I forget, does Danal have 6 fingers? Can we use our amazing powers of observation to see if any of the brawlers in the mosh pit have 6 fingers?

Danal has six fingers, as does Tudiya, Aaron and Barkof. Ishamal does not. None of the brawlers do.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
If the vote goes horns, I want to ask Danal as we run over if anyone ever gets seriously injured in these trophy brawls so we still have an extra chance to back out, or failing that, be on guard. If Danal gets injured we are loving toast.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Eat that heart, boy. Eat it.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jewcoon posted:

Ahhh gently caress it. Eat the heart SmashmouthEnkidel.

Smish muff eat the hearts!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Sogol posted:

Yeh, I think some of this is plain old political struggle with Bareen and some of it a kind of 'attention' economy. I think this has to do with how and why our artifacts work in some contexts and not others. We might find that far away from Zepath or Zepathanian influences our feet get tired again, though by then the sandals may have also conditioned us.

How would our sandals work considering that A) They change to become non-descript, beaten up sandals. and B) None of the people know what we took from that place, or even that we encountered it.

Tudiya boasting is easily explained, he just likes the attention and loves bragging. Ask Ishamal, he was laughing it up at all the boasting.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Can we still vote against stuff? I'm voting for not eating the heart

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

my dad posted:

Don't be a wuss. Be like all the cool kids. Eat the heart.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Basscop posted:

We head over and stand upon the corpse looking as badass as we can. Then we take our spear/sword that we grabbed on our way there if we find it, and cut open the beast's belly tossing the innards aside untill we reach the heart. We grab it tightly and cut the arteries.

Then we stand up, and raise the heart to the sky, silently bring it to our mouth and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AacImm1SHTg

When we are done the youngsters must surely be staring at us confused. We tell them to get lost, we are taking the beasts horns. Otherwise they will be next.

If we have to explain anything then: "El is in our hearts. We must find out what who is in their hearts so we can eradicate all other heathen religions" etc..

Yes, do this!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

How would our sandals work considering that A) They change to become non-descript, beaten up sandals. and B) None of the people know what we took from that place, or even that we encountered it.

Tudiya boasting is easily explained, he just likes the attention and loves bragging. Ask Ishamal, he was laughing it up at all the boasting.

I got no real idea. I imagine Tudiya knows we have the artifacts, Ishamal to most likely. My theory is that each of those items represented a particular Ophanim. (I posted a theorized list up thread.) I also have a theory that attention/worship makes a manifest difference that can be channeled.

So the Sandal is the symbol of Zepath and represents Damat the Ophanim thought to have inspired Zepa? Something like that if I am remembering. Oddly enough we chose the artifact associatd with our new home. The Flute is likely associated with Xuriel. So in a way we picked an artifact associatd with Tudiya and one related to Ishamal if these associations are right.

All the artifacts worked in the Sylvan Museum of Ophanim Art. And they were shiny. Leave the field of the museum, they stop shining and have a purely subjective effect, e.g it seems to us that we can play amazingly when no one else is around. Can we? Or does it just seem so? I would like to try playing during the next pub crawl, around drunken followers of Xuriel, Who Paints the Stars.

The Sandals seemed to never stop working. Is it just that we never felt tired (as in the music seems great when we are alone) and this allowed us to toughen up (as in the flute gives us an inspiration of how amazing music can be)? Or is it that the Sandals actually do something and there is some kind of field effect associated with Zepathan Sons of Labarras or some such? If there is some field effect generated and it has to do with worship/attention then the conflict between Tudiya and Bareen is more than 'political'. We would need to walk far, far away from Zepath or any Zepathians to test the sandals about this.

I dunno. Could be purely subjective. Could be field effects. No idea. We need to study some heraldry/sigilry. That really might occur to us after seeing the Sandal banner of Zepath. I am not sure how much would occur to us about testing the artifacts.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Imperialist Dog posted:

If the vote goes horns, I want to ask Danal as we run over if anyone ever gets seriously injured in these trophy brawls so we still have an extra chance to back out, or failing that, be on guard. If Danal gets injured we are loving toast.

Danal is too young, this is the first monstrous horde either of you have seen. From what you know of culture, you imagine there would at worst be bruises or minor cuts, but anything worse is unlikely and certainly nothing worse than a broken finger or two.

my dad posted:

We had a vote on leaving it in or not, leaving it in won.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I wasn't originally going to vote because I didn't think this was important and didn't have any neat ideas or thoughts to contribute, but seriously, come on guys.

Voting H: DO NOT EAT THE GODDAMN HEART. For Chrissakes, you mad bastards, this is not Ur and we are not the Madgod. We are a small boy with magic sandals and a cool flute and nothing else besides a propensity for doing incredibly stupid things. If nothing else do we even have the tools or strength required to rip the heart out of a big, muscly minotaur? Do not eat the heart. Do not eat the heart. Do not eat the goddamn heart.

If we're not allowed to vote anti-heart, then I'm voting for Option D, even though I think it's kind of a stupid thing to do because no matter how stupid it is it is not eating a goddamn minotaur heart.

May I remind those of you listening to basscop's advice that you are listening to basscop's advice. He is a fish. He does not know anything about eating anything other than breadcrumbs and bait, much less goddamn minotaur hearts!

On a slightly more serious note, I would personally attribute this apparent sudden mass mania for minotaur hearts to the recent rounds of voting. A series of apparently only moderately-consequential decisions where the actual action basically involves us watching other people do neat things has left the goon collective restless and hungry for madness - and minotaur hearts, apparently. It may be a good idea to speed things up a bit before goons decide that the best thing to do is to assassinate Tudiya with the Chair, eat his heart, plump our teenage rear end on the Chair and proclaim ourselves Emperor of El.

Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but goons are loving insane. If they're not given an outlet for their insanity then sooner or later they'll make their own.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Vote Change:
D. I am going to go with team horny. We let Danal lead and provide 'muscle'. We might suggest that he simply take a horn and be prepared to fight for it. We will back him up if need be and try to keep the odds even. He wants to fight. He would probably not be so into us serving as his Champion. This might mean everyone attacks us at once, but it might also serve to split the group. He could even just take one and ask 'who challenges my right to this?' (waving his 6th finger at them). It raises the stakes, but what the heck. If we are going to go, might as well go big. My guess is also that Ishamal is aware of us. We might even just concentrate on Ishamal, looking at him and say his name in a regular, but focused tone of voice. If he notices, just nod at him and turn back to Danal.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 16, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Canuck-Errant posted:

I was debating courses of action. I will always use a bolded letter when voting. Thank you for the spreadsheets. :worship:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Incidentally, Diogines, question: Have we ever heard of anything that might give a possible clue as to the effects of eating minotaur hearts, or indeed any other part of them, or monster hearts in general, etc? Have there been any stories of heroes or villains who did this, and what happened to those who partook?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

To answer Tomn, barring any loose ends, I was anticipating another "growing up" time skip after this, but that was only my speculation, the speed of time depends on your decisions, of course.

Not votes are allowed.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
I'm changing my vote to a slightly different version of Basscop's plan. Instead of eating the whole heart right there and on the spot, we only scare away/disgust the other children by biting the raw heart a bit and smearing a bit of the blood over our face in the process. When they've dispersed, we give Danal the horns and take the heart back to Ma's house and ask her to make dinner with it.

Ishamal's friend joined the fight shouting 'Shawarma', so there probably isn't a social stigma against eating monsters in Zepath. From a random Zepathian's point of view, the only two strange things here are our choice of cut and the fact we're eating it raw. We can bring that down to just one strange thing if we properly prepare it first.

I don't think eating the heart will give us any special hero powers the way it would in Akkad, but it will make for a nice story and might potentially help us get those horns without having to fight other children for it. Plus, Enkidel doesn't normally get that much meat in his diet anyway, and he's still a growing young man.

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

Voting on not eating that heart. After they took you away from your cannibal tribe, do you really think they won't frown upon this? I mean, it's a a Minotaur, but it's one letter off from MANotaur and they will totally flip poo poo on you and think you'll eat anything dead in front of you.

I think we should approach the fight and get Danal to tell the people fighting that these horns belong to his father, if you take this trophy from him he will be VERY mad when he gets back. If this works and those kids scatter, we can talk to Tudiya about letting Danal and I share those horns... That is, is he's not furious at US for leaving his home...

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn posted:

Incidentally, Diogines, question: Have we ever heard of anything that might give a possible clue as to the effects of eating minotaur hearts, or indeed any other part of them, or monster hearts in general, etc? Have there been any stories of heroes or villains who did this, and what happened to those who partook?

In the stories you know, heroes, kings and Melachim of many sorts smite cannibals and monsters who eat people. The bodycount is considerable and the message very, very clear that eating people is a very, very bad thing.

Ishamal and his drinking buddies did not fight, except one who jogged out t the battle and yelled as a warcry, as ;others screamed "El!", "Shwarma!"(Gyros!), to the laughter of his friends.

Ishamal and his drinking buddies are at this moment gambling and drinking and are not fighting. The one who yelled "Shwarma!" is at this moment dragging a minotaur corpse on the ground back towards his friends.

They probably plan to roast it. From what you know, this is probably risque and a little odd, but not cannibalism and in any event, who would tell Ishamal what to do?

From the stories, heroes and kings do not eat the hearts of their foes to gain power, though the handful of potion mongers in the city seem to make use of such for their magics, of which you know very little.

Melachim have powers because they are Melachim. Kings have powers because they descend from Labaras. Heroes have power from being descendants of Labaras, or having found favor from El due to the purity of their hearts, or their own skill or magic or magical items, magic generally used only by the less morally righteous heroes. As to demons? Who knows but they do eat people.

Or so you might guess. These are stories, after all.

Monster bits make fine trophies and offerings to El.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 16, 2013

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Basscop does not deserve such harsh criticism. His plans are a little out there, but he gets results. In Diog's last game, Basscop ended the game as an accomplished immortal fish artist with a beautiful wife. Most players ended the game as a splatter on the ground or dead by some comical manner.

Guys. Come on. Eat the heart. It will work out. Plenty of ancient stories involve the hero bathing in monster blood or eating them for power.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 16, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

If you guys insist on doing SOMETHING with the heart of Spawn, maybe try sacrificing it to El. Something like this, except not evil.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
On the to do list (providing we are not imprisoned or executed at any moment for escapades):

Start
- We need to start exploring the charlatans in town until we find something real. There is bound to be at least one charlatan that can at least lead us to something marginally legit. We can approach it as if a myth buster.

- Who is our Dad? Come on Mom! We aren't a kid anymore. It is time for us to know the truth. We can be sworn to secrecy on the matter.

- Get literate. This includes and might start with some basic heraldry/sigilry. Do maps exist? Are there some sort of basic military histories? Are there books filled with secret knowledge known only to a few? We should treat this as an exercise in strengthening our will and expression of our curiosity. If we don't do it now, when are we going to do it? At some point (if we survive) we will be on a long trip or possibly in confined quarters. Learn to read!

- make/get a boat. Unlike Zepathans, we are at home on and in the water. We can move across town quickly with it. Zepath is remote and the river may be a good way to travel (though likely also 'chock-full 'o' monsters). Can't ever be a pirate without this.

- Manhood trials will be coming up (whatever the hell those are). Will we do this in out right, or be waiting to assist Danal. Find out what the deal is on this.

Continue
- developing a street network in Zepath/learn to street fight
- practicing the flute
- training with whatever they let us use to fight.
— Staff might not be bad to continue really (I am suspecting we might be a magician by lineage- no evidence beyond the 'Sun, Moon, Stars' - Baitel connection). Staff leads to many things including spears.
— Adding a ranged weapon might be good (we seem to have amazing vision). Maybe a sling would be a good fit for portability. Javelin(harpoon) if we take the boat thing seriously. Heck, after some basics we can probably train slinging ourselves by playing long range fetch with Snarls.
- observing Tudiya
- building comradrie with Ishamal
- quit futzing around with Bareen, beyond basic training and exercise. We aren't Melachim (or Kinga) and we are never going to be. Our path is different.

Ok fine. I know it is too much too soon, but my comp is still in storage and it is this or Blockheads as diversion from my research and writing. Even if I weren't completely bored with Blockheads, this is so much better.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2013

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
1. As I survey the scene near the corpse, I...

A. I spend the rest of my time here helping the handful of men who fell while running walk back to the city, by leaning on my shoulder

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 17, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

Two men have taken spears in the back, thrown by the Zepathan men and intended for the minotaurs.

You make it to the first with Danal. The man is tended to by his friends. You move on.
Hey, are we still in earshot of the "Man's friends?" Can Enkidel ask: "Is there anything we can do to help?" We came all this way for that purpose, why not actually mean it?

Waiting on an answer before my vote, but may choose A. or H: Do what the friends suggest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

OhYo posted:

Hey, are we still in earshot of the "Man's friends?" Can Enkidel ask: "Is there anything we can do to help?" We came all this way for that purpose, why not actually mean it?

Waiting on an answer before my vote, but may choose A. or H: Do what the friends suggest.
They are not all that far off actually, a hundred and fifty feet or so? Both men probably took spears in the back during the general charge.

Men and beast yell im great numbers and a hundred or more animal horns let off blasts as the men chase the minotaurs. You yell. They don't hear you over the noise. You yell again. One of them yells back "WHAT? OH! NO!"