Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

univbee posted:

You need:

- An OG Xbox memory card
- A USB adapter for said memory card
- One of three games, the best choice being Splinter Cell 1

If you also want to upgrade the internal drive, you will also need a molex power splitter temporarily.

Or if you know someone with an already modded memory xbox (to put the exploit on the memory card for you) you would only need:

- An original or madkatz memory card
- Splinter Cell, 007, or Mechassault (I've done Splinter Cell and Mechassault about 500 times)

Once you get hooked up with a memory card, pop in one of the 3 games, load up the game (named Linux or something similar) wait a few minutes while the installer does all the work, it's modded and functional. From that point you get to have fun (no sarcasm) and customize it to your liking and/or install XBMC. If you only use it for emulating NES/SNES/Genesis/MAME and playing random non-HD videos it's worth it's weight about 5 million times over.

-- the IDE trick is a pain, but it's pretty easy and you'll feel like you're hacking the Gibson if you go that route

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Code Jockey posted:

Hasn't
Done
Crap,
Practically

e. this isn't really in the theme but I hate HDCP so I wanted to give it a sick burn when I had an opening

H=High
D=Definition
C=Copyright
P=Police

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Tyson Tomko posted:

-- the IDE trick is a pain, but it's pretty easy and you'll feel like you're hacking the Gibson if you go that route

It's god awful if you only have 1 IDE channel.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
I still say the preferred method for modding an xbox is by modchip. If you have the correct model (as in, not a 1.6), the installation is dead simple. It involves soldering in a couple of header pins, and soldering one wire. Thats it.

You can alternatively do a tsop flash, but I always preferred the simplicity (to me, anyway) of an xbox modchip. You can still find them around too. A few people over on the assembler forums still sell them, last I checked.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

iastudent posted:

So seeing as how I have two Xbox1 games I've never played because I don't want to deal with the wonders of 360 backwards compatibility, and that my local shop is selling one on the cheap, what do I need to know about modding this thing?

Also you will see a couple of pages ago that I hosted the files you need for the splinter cell method here.

Edit: A very cube-ish box arrived for me today!

Who would have guessed?! A shiny new GameCube, with some sexy s-video cables, a gba player, and Mario Party 7!

Thanks based Miyamoto!

Now all I need is a power cable and the disc needed to use the gba player.

Does anyone have either of those things that they want to get rid of before I resort to Amazon?

Edit2: I also picked up a 100 pack of CD-Rs so I can start off my Sega CD collection right.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 17, 2013

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The arcade machine I want most would probably be Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (1998), ideally the sit-down version. I never got tired of playing that game ever.

EDIT: Except maybe for the couple of times I found a machine with either a broken or improperly calibrated joystick so I couldn't hit any enemies on one side of the screen.

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 17, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would kill for a San Francisco Rush arcade cab, maybe two to play multiplayer.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

in_absentia posted:

N=Never
T=Twice
(The)
S=Same
C=Color

Go look up "Hanover bars" -- PAL tried to learn from the mistakes of NTSC, and made a whole bunch of new fascinating mistakes in the process. ;)

Really, any analog format that mixes color and luma is fail -- they just fail in different ways.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Also the colors not staying consistent had a whole lot more to do with TVs in the 60s and early 70s having poor color circuitry, whereas more modern TVs had no problem keeping consistent until the components started to wear out with time. Meanwhile the mistakes made with PAL and especially SECAM didn't have a corresponding technological improvement to fix 'em.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Finally got my EZflash4 today, doesn't appear to be any paperwork with it though. Are there any guides to getting it set up right, also and preferred sd cards re make, size, sdhc?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BrokenKnees posted:

Finally got my EZflash4 today, doesn't appear to be any paperwork with it though. Are there any guides to getting it set up right, also and preferred sd cards re make, size, sdhc?

2 gig max, no SDHC. It loads everything to flash memory so no need to worry about SD card speed.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BrokenKnees posted:

Get the ez4 client http://www.ezflash.cn/zip/EZ4_20070521.zip use this to load roms onto a micro/mini sd card and as univbee said, 2gb max

Also how it works with saves is it stays in memory until you load up the cartridge again and then it writes the save memory to your sd card. Let that complete before running a new rom or you lose any progress.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BrokenKnees posted:

Just be sure to use the EZ4Client to load ROMs on it properly.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Enjoy your Darth Vader skin on the EZ4.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

fatpat268 posted:

I still say the preferred method for modding an xbox is by modchip. If you have the correct model (as in, not a 1.6), the installation is dead simple. It involves soldering in a couple of header pins, and soldering one wire. Thats it.

You can alternatively do a tsop flash, but I always preferred the simplicity (to me, anyway) of an xbox modchip. You can still find them around too. A few people over on the assembler forums still sell them, last I checked.

I've still got an older Xenium modchip I pulled from my first xbox after it's clock cap exploded if anyone would be interested. Easily the coolest thing about this chip is it had its own ftp server. Meaning that if you for some reason locked yourself out and/or hosed whatever was installed on the xbox, you could boot up to the modchip menu itself (by pressing the disc eject button) and fix whatever happened.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I would kill for a San Francisco Rush arcade cab, maybe two to play multiplayer.

I've got a friend who has is the world's biggest Rush fan and has 2 Rush the Rock cabs setup in his basement just like your dream. In fact you can't even say Rush around him without whispering it like in the intro. It's fun as all hell to play even when you play with his memorized-the-tracks-perfectly-rear end. When I was in San Fran for work last year I told him I texted him, and his first response was "you should swing by the capital building and drive into the Atari logo for bonus time." Also I didn't know the two cabs were connected with an (I think) cat 3 cable.

He also went as far as to acquire the domain for the now defunct Rush 2049 website http://rush2049.com/ He really does have a sweet basement arcade with a few of his gems being a 2 player Golly Ghost, Korean Soul Calibur and a sweet vintage DK cocktail.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Stop tempting me to mod the xbox my aunt lent to me years ago.
It's translucent green which is just awesome though.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The 21-pin SCART cable I got finally works with my Bandbridge box, so now I have picture and sound!

Unfortunately my setup SUCKS for it, too many cables with not enough lengths and the SCART cable I bought is not quite long enough to be happy so it constantly pulls out of poo poo.

Someday I will be able to play my games in a manner that looks good. I need to get a bigass Trinitron with Component and be done with having two TVs for gaming :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tyson Tomko posted:

I've got a friend who has is the world's biggest Rush fan and has 2 Rush the Rock cabs setup in his basement just like your dream. In fact you can't even say Rush around him without whispering it like in the intro. It's fun as all hell to play even when you play with his memorized-the-tracks-perfectly-rear end. When I was in San Fran for work last year I told him I texted him, and his first response was "you should swing by the capital building and drive into the Atari logo for bonus time." Also I didn't know the two cabs were connected with an (I think) cat 3 cable.

He also went as far as to acquire the domain for the now defunct Rush 2049 website http://rush2049.com/ He really does have a sweet basement arcade with a few of his gems being a 2 player Golly Ghost, Korean Soul Calibur and a sweet vintage DK cocktail.

Your friend is seriously living my dream. I fed so soooooooooo many quarters into the rush cab that was at my local wal-mart (I know, shameful, but it was close by). I have 100%ed the game more times than I can count on the N64. There was something about rush on native hardware though, it was a beautiful game. The N64 version at least nailed the wacky physics though.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

A baby with its eyelids taped open

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

A baby with its eyelids taped open

So universalgamecases.com turned into retrogamecases.com and doesn't seem to sell bulk blank UGCs anymore.

Is there anywhere I can buy them other than ebay?

VVV Sick thanks.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 17, 2013

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Peenmaster posted:

So universalgamecases.com turned into retrogamecases.com and doesn't seem to sell bulk blank UGCs anymore.

Is there anywhere I can buy them other than ebay?

From where they originated: http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

zenintrude posted:

But I'd settle for this...

My local arcade warehouse had these for like $895 or something stupid. I wanted it bad, but I really don't have the space. I should have just bought it and ebayed it. :(

I got to play one of these once. It's insane as it looks. One came up for sale a few years back for $10K. I cried a little. And now I'm on the trail of a Nintendo Space Fever cocktail, and a Rush [non Rock :argh:] sit down. The bank account gonna hurt yo.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 17, 2013

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I have the vaguest memory of that game. I only ever played it once. Is there a list somewhere of multi-machine cabinets like these? There are two somewhat unremarkable ones I've been trying to remember the names of but would know it once I saw it...

e: I'm talking about the Atari War game. It might have been that except with more than 3 cabinets and arranged in a semicircle kind of thing. At least the one I'm trying to remember was like that.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 17, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Is there any place to get cases that fit GB/GBC/GBA games, if that even exists? I know people used to use the bulk DS cases you could buy from Nintendo for GBA games but they don't sell those versions anymore, only ones without the GBA slot. And if someone has a case that fits all the older ones that'd be great.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Is there any place to get cases that fit GB/GBC/GBA games, if that even exists? I know people used to use the bulk DS cases you could buy from Nintendo for GBA games but they don't sell those versions anymore, only ones without the GBA slot. And if someone has a case that fits all the older ones that'd be great.

I know it's not as aesthetically pleasing as UGCs, but you could get a binder, fill it with those 9x9 Trading card collecting pages made from the clear plastic (buy high quality) and those hold gameboy games pretty well. Saves space too since all your games are in one binder. I don't know of a proper :retrogames: solution though.

I have a question of my own that I hope I can get some help with. I recently got a SegaCD, but I can't seem to get backups working right. Most of them don't boot at all, and the one that does, has no sound at all. The only ISOs I could find of SegaCD games are ISOs that come bundled with a bunch of MP3s that are all the game sounds. It works fine on emulators, but when I burn the ISO, it's no good. Why are they so weird? Where can I find proper ISOs, or what can I do to make these work?

Sorry if this counts as :filez: talk. I promise I'll send a check to Sega.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

H1KE posted:

My local arcade warehouse had these for like $895 or something stupid. I wanted it bad, but I really don't have the space. I should have just bought it and ebayed it. :(

I got to play one of these once. It's insane as it looks. One came up for sale a few years back for $10K. I cried a little. And now I'm on the trail of a Nintendo Space Fever cocktail, and a Rush [non Rock :argh:] sit down. The bank account gonna hurt yo.

I would build a garage just for this. How loving nerdy would that be?

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I went to an arcade room at a hotel 3 years ago and it had a Virtual On machine, good times.

They also had a Street Fighter 2 Pinball game, a Super Mario Brothers pinball, a multicade where the controls didn't work, and a Sunset Riders in a Neo Geo Cabinet (not an official one, but it had the 4 windows for Neo Geo mini flyers and the game switcher button)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Peenmaster posted:

I know it's not as aesthetically pleasing as UGCs, but you could get a binder, fill it with those 9x9 Trading card collecting pages made from the clear plastic (buy high quality) and those hold gameboy games pretty well. Saves space too since all your games are in one binder. I don't know of a proper :retrogames: solution though.

Yeah I've seen those. I want something to stack up on my shelf though with neat artwork off The Cover Project. :saddowns:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

I bought some cheap knock-off ds cases with gba slots in them and they were terrible. They smell like chemicals and gba games don't even fit in them properly unless you cut out some plastic. I have just started buying lots on ebay of empty used DS cases. I picked up 50 cases for 40 bucks and 95% of them were in good condition.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

al-azad posted:

I'm hoping to rebuild a bigger and better shed out back sometime in the next 6-12 months. I need measurements of this, so in the event I ever can afford one, I know what height to make the shed... :D

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

Yeah I've seen those. I want something to stack up on my shelf though with neat artwork off The Cover Project. :saddowns:

So this is something I've been thinking about for a while now since I'm not a fan of the aforementioned solutions. I want to design a small case the size of a DS case that can hold GB and GBC games. I figure it could be printed on a 3D printer in two parts with some sort of hinge on the side instead of whatever DVD/DS cases do. The problem I keep running into with this thought experiment is I have no idea how to handle creation of a slipcover for the case art.

If anyone wants to tell me how this could be done or how this idea is dumb and should never be done, I'm all ears. :allears:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

I have the vaguest memory of that game. I only ever played it once. Is there a list somewhere of multi-machine cabinets like these? There are two somewhat unremarkable ones I've been trying to remember the names of but would know it once I saw it...

e: I'm talking about the Atari War game. It might have been that except with more than 3 cabinets and arranged in a semicircle kind of thing. At least the one I'm trying to remember was like that.

You're probably thinking of The Grid, which absolutely anything posted about on the last page... it's inferior in every way to WAR Final Assault.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Peenmaster posted:

Also you will see a couple of pages ago that I hosted the files you need for the splinter cell method here.

Edit: A very cube-ish box arrived for me today!

Who would have guessed?! A shiny new GameCube, with some sexy s-video cables, a gba player, and Mario Party 7!

Thanks based Miyamoto!

Now all I need is a power cable and the disc needed to use the gba player.

Does anyone have either of those things that they want to get rid of before I resort to Amazon?

Edit2: I also picked up a 100 pack of CD-Rs so I can start off my Sega CD collection right.

I am glad to help! I honestly get more joy out of giving stuff like that away. eBaying it: not worth my time. Giving it away: worth my time. :iiam:

the Game Boy Player really is awesome, though. And modchips are laughably cheap for the Gamecube (they are just drive chips).

al-azad posted:

If by nerdy you mean awesome? You can probably built a machine similar for pretty cheap. Decent VGA projector for like $300 (InFocus makes nice ones) and you're halfway there.

Mace Bacon posted:

I went to an arcade room at a hotel 3 years ago and it had a Virtual On machine, good times.

They also had a Street Fighter 2 Pinball game, a Super Mario Brothers pinball, a multicade where the controls didn't work, and a Sunset Riders in a Neo Geo Cabinet (not an official one, but it had the 4 windows for Neo Geo mini flyers and the game switcher button)

oh man, hotel arcades are the best. They always have the most random, old school stuff there. The sound of the hum of the compressors from the soda/ice machines while you play Rampage at 3am because you can't sleep while inhaling the smell of bleach from the nearby pool cannot be beat. :allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

With the current generation of consoles heading slowly but surely to the retro pastures I wanted to point out something I just realized, especially those of you who will be hooking up to older TV sets. Specifically, 1080i component sets, especially those that don't have 720p support (I know they exist because I had a rear projection TV like that, and my brother still uses it now).

Specifically, the Xbox 360 has a hardware upscaler. This basically means that whatever resolution you tell it your TV will use, is the resolution that everything gets output to. If you tell it you have a 1080i or 1080p TV set, and you load up something that's 720p (e.g. the majority of current-gen games), it will upscale it within the 360 to a 1080i or 1080p signal which is what the TV receives.

The PS3, meanwhile, instead operates on the checkbox principle (check/uncheck every resolution your TV supports) and then it will downscale if it doesn't support the resolution you're attempting to output. The rear projection set I alluded to earlier accepts 720p signals, but downscales them in the TV to 480p.

So if I was playing, say, Grand Theft Auto 5 (I know a just-released-today game is a weird example for the retro thread but bear with me), which outputs in 720p on both systems, the PS3 version will look considerably worse (since it will downscale to 480p) than the Xbox 360 version (which would be 720p upscaled to 1080i). Of course, the PS3's online services will likely stay up much longer than the Xbox Live's 360 services if history is any indication.

I'm sure hardware-level upscalers must exist that will do 720p to 1080i or 1080p, but I'm guessing they'd cost more than just buying a cheap 1080p set on clearance.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Peenmaster posted:

I have a question of my own that I hope I can get some help with. I recently got a SegaCD, but I can't seem to get backups working right. Most of them don't boot at all, and the one that does, has no sound at all. The only ISOs I could find of SegaCD games are ISOs that come bundled with a bunch of MP3s that are all the game sounds. It works fine on emulators, but when I burn the ISO, it's no good. Why are they so weird? Where can I find proper ISOs, or what can I do to make these work?

I'm pretty sure the MP3 versions are compressed rips of the games that are only designed for playing on emulators. The filesizes for complete ISOs will probably be much larger but they should play correctly on the real hardware.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Peenmaster posted:

The MP3s are meant to be redbook audio tracks (e.g. sticking it into a plain CD player should play the game's music from Track 2 onwards). MP3's are actually quite demanding and I think the "oldest" system that's technically capable of playing MP3's without other hardware assistance is the Dreamcast, if that helps put things in perspective.

As for some games not working, try burning your discs slower or try another brand.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

oh man, hotel arcades are the best. They always have the most random, old school stuff there. The sound of the hum of the compressors from the soda/ice machines while you play Rampage at 3am because you can't sleep while inhaling the smell of bleach from the nearby pool cannot be beat. :allears:

Hell yes!

When we would go to Holiday World as kids we'd stay in a Holiday Inn (called Holidome maybe) that had exactly this kind of random arcade. The games in this arcade are still some of my favorites to this day because of a mix of awesomeness and nostalgia of course. They had a Virtua Racing game that was 75 cents per credit, Raiden, random pinball games including the bitchin Star Trek TNG one, an air hockey table, and a baseball type pinball-ish game that would give out baseball cards if you did well. If that wasn't enough on top of this building/room/area was a pretty impressive miniature golf course and a crane/claw game.

This is the baseball one. In theory you'd think it would be lame but in practice it was fun as hell. One of these days I need to make my way back there and see what all is still there.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Peenmaster posted:

Don't bother with binders and trading card pages. It sounds like a great idea, but if you plan on playing your collection fairly often, you're gonna wear out the pages quick. They start to tear at the seams, and is just more of a pain in the rear end than it should be. I tried three different brands of pages, and they all eventually tore.

I use these to store my GBA games on my shelf:
http://www.genesysdtp.com/index.htm?nintendodscasedetails.htm

They don't work out of the box, you have to snip a little bit of plastic on the top part of the gba holder. Super simple if you own a pair of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-CHP170-Micro-Cutter-16AWG/dp/B0000WT6FI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379425617&sr=8-1&keywords=hakko+cutters

While they require a little bit of modification, the grey cases from genesysdtp are of much higher quality than the knockoffs you usually find on ebay. It's even better if you can find the authentic DS cases, but they're not always easy to find.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Just being able to play Virtual On was amazing in of itself, to find it in a loving Hotel arcade was the weirdest, because the other games we're pretty standard. It was 2 player but I think one controller was broken :saddowns:

I found a flyer for the Mario pinball, I almost wish I just asked them if I could buy it off them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Tyson Tomko posted:

Hell yes!

When we would go to Holiday World as kids we'd stay in a Holiday Inn (called Holidome maybe) that had exactly this kind of random arcade. The games in this arcade are still some of my favorites to this day because of a mix of awesomeness and nostalgia of course. They had a Virtua Racing game that was 75 cents per credit, Raiden, random pinball games including the bitchin Star Trek TNG one, an air hockey table, and a baseball type pinball-ish game that would give out baseball cards if you did well. If that wasn't enough on top of this building/room/area was a pretty impressive miniature golf course and a crane/claw game.

This is the baseball one. In theory you'd think it would be lame but in practice it was fun as hell. One of these days I need to make my way back there and see what all is still there.

They used to have a pretty good arcade in Holiday World too but sadly the last time I went there which was almost a decade ago it was gone.

The best random arcades I ever encountered was at King's Island around 95 or so. I turned a corner and I saw a huge arcade with a ton of stuff I never saw before or since like the 8 player Virtua Racing, Tekken for the first time, the Sega Spider-Man arcade. I had such a good time at that arcade I must had spent 2 hours just looking at games and marveling at all the Japanese cabs they had.

I have never been back partially to never tarnish that memory.

• Locked thread