Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The Light Eternal posted:

Look up Henry Shires tarptent. That are exactly that.

Yeah and they are nice. I have the Moment because I wanted the free standing option. It is a nice comfortable tent with good ventilation and sturdy construction. I have used it in high winds in the desert where there was no windbreaks to set up behind and it performed great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry for the late reply, but here are my shoes: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30930W/74735/Brindle/J52410?dimensions=0

The sweatyness is my only complaint. Otherwise they are very comfortable which is hard for me to find in any shoe. I have weird feet (wide toes, narrow heel, high arch) so I need to try on shoes before I buy. The local choices for ladies hiking shoes and boots seems slim which sucks since there are so many choices available online.

On a side note, can anybody recommend some great, lesser known trails around Cleveland, Ohio?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

The waterproofing is what's doing it. It keeps moisture in as well as it keeps it out.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Sorry for the late reply, but here are my shoes: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/30930W/74735/Brindle/J52410?dimensions=0

The sweatyness is my only complaint. Otherwise they are very comfortable which is hard for me to find in any shoe. I have weird feet (wide toes, narrow heel, high arch) so I need to try on shoes before I buy. The local choices for ladies hiking shoes and boots seems slim which sucks since there are so many choices available online.

On a side note, can anybody recommend some great, lesser known trails around Cleveland, Ohio?

How long of a trail are you looking for? Cuyahoga Valley National Park has plenty of short trails for quick outings (~5 miles or so, and you can string together individual trails to make up somewhat longer ones), and they can be scenic in the fall. Here's a trail map of the park.

If you need something longer, the Buckeye trail might be the way to go. The pieces I've been on have been nice (though obviously there aren't a whole lot of elevation changes), but unfortunately I haven't been on any long stretches so I don't have a broader sense of the trail.

Edit: My feet are similar to yours, and Lowas work well for me, fit wise. I'm not sure if they use the same last for all of their models, but if you're ever in the market for a new pair, you might want to try them out.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 11, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've never understood waterproof low shoes :confused:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah and they are nice. I have the Moment because I wanted the free standing option. It is a nice comfortable tent with good ventilation and sturdy construction. I have used it in high winds in the desert where there was no windbreaks to set up behind and it performed great.

My dad has one of those too and it works pretty well, but it will gather condensation like a motherfucker in the right conditions. That's pretty much the downside to the tarptents though and something you have to decide if you can live with if it affects you

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

I've never understood waterproof low shoes :confused:
Gaiters?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Levitate posted:

My dad has one of those too and it works pretty well, but it will gather condensation like a motherfucker in the right conditions. That's pretty much the downside to the tarptents though and something you have to decide if you can live with if it affects you

I haven't had that problem to much because I live and hike in very dry places. Just make sure the vents are open and you have some space around the bottom edge. I wonder if some models are worse than others.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

You got somewhere you need to be?

Hah, yeah I'm only worried about weight for backpacking trips, so I do want to get on the trail in the morning as soon as possible, and hike as long as I can into the evening. By the time I've stopped I'm HUNGRY :)

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The waterproofing is what's doing it. It keeps moisture in as well as it keeps it out.

Conveniently, the shoe comes in a non-waterproof version. An easy fix.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

beefnoodle posted:

Hah, yeah I'm only worried about weight for backpacking trips, so I do want to get on the trail in the morning as soon as possible, and hike as long as I can into the evening. By the time I've stopped I'm HUNGRY :)
My alcohol stoves brings 2 cups of water to a boil in about 4-5 minutes at 10,000 feet, compared to about 2.5 minutes for a Jetboil. The weight difference is about 10 ounces, depending on fuel. Sounds worth it to me, but I'd rather warm up while hiking, so I don't generally cook a hot breakfast either.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Really? Literally every review or article I've seen on cat food can alcohol stoves says 9 minutes plus for 2 cups of water above 9,000. Whereas my Jetboil gets it done under 2 minutes every time (most recently a couple of weekends ago at 10,500', when I timed it to help drive myself crazy with this decision).

I don't cook hot breakfasts on hiking days, but coffee is non-negotiable :)

You guys aren't making this any easier.

Edit: oh hell, these are so cheap to make. I'm just going to take both next weekend and do a boil-off.

Thanks for the extra info.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 12, 2013

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Citizen Z posted:

I'm going to have a weekend to myself in Seattle while on a business trip, but no car. Any Seattle Goons able to recommend a good day hike I can get to on public transit?

I think Cougar Mountain is right up your alley. There's trailheads in Bellevue and Issaquah. The Wilderness Creek trailhead is along state route 900 which I know has bus service. Red Town's trailhead is also along a rather busy road in Newcastle.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/parks/trails/backcountry/cougar_trails.aspx

According to Google Maps, travel times for noon on Saturday are as follows: Red Town trailhead is a 2.5 hour bus ride, Wilderness Creek is 1.5 hour bus ride.

Red Town: directions | trail info
Wilderness Creek: directions | trail info

Please note the Red Town is a 1 mile walk from the bus stop, whereas Wilderness Creek is 3.8 miles to the trailhead along a busy 2 lane highway with no shoulder. You probably couldn't walk to Wilderness Creek safely so Red Town might be your best bet even though the bus ride is longer.

If you're pressed for time and need to stay within Seattle, check out Discovery Park.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 12, 2013

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
The aspens are starting to turn gold here, so now I have winter on my mind, and it has occurred to me that I need to re-evaluate my base layer. Currently I've got 3 sets of polyester long johns that were hand me downs from my Mom and that fit me at one time when I was hugely fat but no longer. Also I don't think they're going to stand up to my winter plans, which are getting a bit more ambitious with my growing experience. What's the good stuff these days? Merino, silk, or some kind of synthetic (I don't care about being a smelly beast, my boyfriend is used to it)?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Merino or poloypro synthetic. I use merino for hiking since I don't like stinking, and synthetic for climbing because it's more durable. Silk doesn't seem to be popular.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I like Patagonia base layers...

A temporary assignment in west palm beach until November has killed my plans to return to wild basin :o|

We will use the time to run, ride and save and shop for new backpacks and sleeping bags.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I've used the same Smartwool halfzip up top and mediumweight leggings for cold weather for two years and i love them. If you want polypro I have a set of lighter North Face stuff and I also quite like that.

The wool handles funk better but can develop a little stretch in between washings. Polypro stays as snug as when it was put on, but can hold scent after washing. I think it dries a little faster too, if you're after that. I find the wool warmer though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 15, 2013

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Did the four mile Brandywine Falls loop trail today.

You are never more acutely aware of how out of shape you are then when you are going uphill on steep, uneven terrain. And when kids under ten run past you like it's nothing. I miss that endurance.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
To be fair, they weigh hardly anything.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Did the four mile Brandywine Falls loop trail today.

You are never more acutely aware of how out of shape you are then when you are going uphill on steep, uneven terrain. And when kids under ten run past you like it's nothing. I miss that endurance.

Thanks for reminding me about that trail. I'm in NEO too and am always looking for good places to hike.

As for the Buckeye Trail, I keep looking at maps of it and it seems to follow lots of rural roads out here and not a lot of woods. Has anyone hiked it near Cleveland/akron?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Thanks dudes. I think I'll go polypro for now, since I sweat like a pig.

Enjoy this picture of Little Bear Peak, I climbed it last weekend:

photo 2-2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Climbed up Devil's Bedstead East today. This was the funnest climb of the year, which I mostly attribute to it having practically no scree.

This high point was just kinda hanging out in the middle of the cirque. Didn't get a chance to climb it

This lake caught me off guard. I crested the ridge on the other side of it and it just appeared out of loving nowhere

Looking toward the Sawtooths

Looking back at the valley. Clouds were starting to roll in

I was probably a mile away from my car when I first spotted this wall of rain heading my way. I did pack a rain jacket, but I said gently caress that poo poo and hauled rear end back to my car and got out just before it came through.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

If it rains that much a rain jacket don't matter. You're gettin' wet.

Awesome hike. Idaho ftw

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

stealie72 posted:

Thanks for reminding me about that trail. I'm in NEO too and am always looking for good places to hike.

As for the Buckeye Trail, I keep looking at maps of it and it seems to follow lots of rural roads out here and not a lot of woods. Has anyone hiked it near Cleveland/akron?

Buckeye is decent through the Akron section. Medina County section isn't bad either (you can make a decent loop hiking through all of Hinckley Reservation). If you go to Brecksville Reservation, there's a decent section (don't go when it's been raining recently, it's pretty swampy). Way down south it gets reasonably good, but at that point it's not worth driving so far south when you can go to Allegheny in PA instead.

The Buckeye is a cool idea, but it's either going to die out in 15 years, or it will eventually become something worthwhile. I'm guessing it's going to start to die out and continue to be mostly on-road garbage.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 16, 2013

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Ok gonna have a bit of a photo dump from my Wind Rivers trip. We went out from the Elkhart trailhead on the Pole Creek trail, 6 days 5 nights. We originally wanted to make it to Timico Lake on the first day but we didn't get started until 12:30 (had to drive from Grand Targhee in the morning) and we miscalculated how far it was, but that wasn't a big deal.

About 4.5 miles in is photographers point, which gives you a nice view of the Wind Rivers range and the highest peaks in Wyoming (and I know the names of none of them except Freemont Peak!). It was smokey that morning and had been for a few days so unfortunately it wasn't the clearest shot.

Later that day, a shot of Angel Pass in the background (we'd see more of that later). Haziness still causing some contrast problems

Mt Baldy in the background and possibly Pole Creek in the foreground

Despite an originally clear weather forecast, it started raining the morning of the second day while we were in our tents and continued to sprinkle and shower all day. Here's a neat little stream/pond with a bunch of small islands in it

We eventually got to Timico Lake and had lunch. The original plan was to bush whack over the divide and go to Camp Lake on other side, so we pushed ahead with that plan. This is looking back kind of west/south over Timico Lake. Clouds kept rolling in

Looks like the pass over the divide! (Fall Creek Pass, of which Fall Creek is an inlet to Timico Lake)

Haha sucker nope there's another lake up there and the pass is on the other side of the lake

At any rate we get up there and here's a crappy iphone panorama of the eastern side of the divide

As we went down towards Upper Golden Lake, the skies finally really opened up and poured on us. We waited out the worst of it in a bit of shelter and then continued on, but it was bush whacking down boulder filled drainages in the rain which is fun let me tell you.

Thankfully it stopped raining eventually and we decided to stay at Upper Golden Lake instead of going on to Camp Lake. Got everything out to dry (except my shoes...)

Camp shot

We were intending to try hiking out of a different pass and down into Wall Lake on the third day, but decided not to since it looked like it was still a pretty high pass on the topo map, so we went for Angel Pass instead, which is close to the pass we originally came over. So, we basically just started walking back uphill. It was a lot easier than our path down though

A shot of Angel Pass

Partway up Angel Pass. It really wasn't as flat as it looks and the rocks are a lot bigger than they look without any perspective. We could have probably taken a better path but the last part involved us picking our way across a pretty vertical boulder field. I think if we'd gone further up, and then across it would have been easier, but what can you do

Spider Lakes on the other side. To get to Cooke Lakes we went down and to the right, through Baldy Basin

Stayed the night at Cooke Lakes, which was real pretty and had lots of fish. Took this in the morning as we were leaving

Next day was out to Island Lake, near the Titcomb Basin. There were quite a few people there so we camped at the unnamed lake above Island Lake. Had a great view of the peaks (Freemont Peak being the most visible) and there were a bunch of water falls into and out of the lake. You can just barely see out campsite in the bottom left

Next morning it sounded like it was going to rain, but when we got up, we saw this

Then onward to day hike into the Titcomb Basin. We tried fishing but just didn't seem to be anything active at the time

Furthest lake into the Titcomb Basin and where all the melt off from the glaciers comes from

Finally, last day hiking out, shot this over Island Lake towards the mountains

Rained a bunch on the last day and we were trying to make good time so I didn't take many pictures, and lot of terrain was stuff we already hiked through.

Anyways, sorry for the huge photo dump but figured people might like to see pictures. It was a pretty great time, beautiful country

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Save me jeebus posted:

Thanks dudes. I think I'll go polypro for now, since I sweat like a pig.

Enjoy this picture of Little Bear Peak, I climbed it last weekend:

photo 2-2 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr

It looked like an avalanche of trees happened.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Was little bear as dangerous as its reputation? How was the climb? Just helmets and a huge set of balls (metaphorically)?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

A Kpro posted:

This lake caught me off guard. I crested the ridge on the other side of it and it just appeared out of loving nowhere

I want to camp at that lake and go swimming in freezing water. Do they stock any of the high lakes in that area with fish?

Levitate posted:

Camp shot

I have the same tarptent. I want to take it there now. I wish there was more high mountains around here, but I do still love the desert.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Was little bear as dangerous as its reputation? How was the climb? Just helmets and a huge set of balls (metaphorically)?

Get to the Hourglass early. It is definitely treacherous, but I think most of the risk can be mitigated by climbing during the week or really early. We rolled into camp around 2 on Saturday; about 3 some people were coming down and started laying into us accusing us of rockfall, until I explained we had just arrived. Evidently someone in the Class 2 gully got beat up pretty good.

We started around quarter to 5 Sunday morning, and on the way got a snotty remark from some other climbers not to kick rocks down on them (well THAT ruined my weekend....). We had great conditions though, the Hourglass was dry except for a tiny bit of runoff down the center. Just enough to make the rope wet and the rappel a little chilly! :haw:

In any case, we ended up summitting with some cool geezers we met up the way and the four of us were first to the top that morning. The snotty party was on their way up as we were going down and we waited about 50 minutes just above the rappel anchor waiting for them to come up (they were foolishly choosing to follow the ropeline, rather than veer left/west to climb on solid rock). SP was yelling "rock" about every 90 seconds. We descended once they cleared the Hourglass but unfortunately despite asking them to wait for us to get to the bottom, they kept going up and sending rocks down. Fortunately nothing too nasty. But it was clear from their routefinding and lack of courtesy/safety awareness that they didn't really belong on that mountain.

I guess what I'm saying by all this is just to be careful and start early. Rock fall is nearly unavoidable on this peak, and if you are up there with a bunch of dopes, that ups the danger factor significantly. One of the (very experienced) guys we were with stepped on something he thought was solid and dislodged about a bowling ball sized rock, which bounced down the Hourglass, hit a gendarme and shattered into pieces; a resulting softball-sized remaining rock ricocheted off the other wall and exploded in a glorious rain of stones. It was spectacular and a great reminder to 1. be careful 2. call your rocks 3. wear a helmet 4. prepare your advance directives.

I ended up getting hurt, but it was by spraining my ankle coming down that godawful Jeep trail. I think backpacking the Jeep trail was the hard part.

eta: the climb is all mental, if you're decent at Class 2 - 4 scrambling it's a piece of cake. Just focus.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 17, 2013

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Atticus_1354 posted:

I want to camp at that lake and go swimming in freezing water. Do they stock any of the high lakes in that area with fish?

It sounds like nearby Goat Lake and Kane Lake are stocked, but I think they stock more lakes in the Sawtooths than they do the Pioneer mountains.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How closely do your softshells fit? The Venta SV fits fairly large and long on this guy but he's a skinny fucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CYWr7vcLk

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Josh Lyman posted:

How closely do your softshells fit? The Venta SV fits fairly large and long on this guy but he's a skinny fucker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7CYWr7vcLk
I'm 5'8", 195, and in pretty good shape and I bought a large softshell and fleece in March. I took them back for a medium in both (Marmot) because they felt huge. I figured the extra size would be fine, I don't care how it looks, and I have more space for layers, but it ended up that it was hard to use pockets and everything was bunching up all the time and the hood was awful.

Now my softshell is just big enough for a wool shirt baselayer and a fleece or puffy underneath it. So it's fairly snug, but comfortable. But it's cut in a way that I can still lift my arms fine and the waist doesn't shoot up to my nipples.

If you're a beanpole, a jacket that sits at your waist correctly will seem baggy.

Obviously try poo poo on and buy from somewhere that has a good return policy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My proper grandma really wants to buy me some darker-coloured dress pants, and I said "you mean like something wool?" and she said yes. So I'm taking that as license to get some darker wool pants.

Why am I asking this here? Because I post here sometimes and people here know about functional clothing, and frankly, I don't want to own any clothing that I don't also consider functional, nor anything that I would be afraid to be rough'n'tumble while wearing. So, it doesn't have to be something I would seriously go trekking in, but I never ever want to wear pants that will make me be all "bleh, I can't go to the park with you because I'm in my nice pants."

So where should I look to find wool pants that are rugged, but that I could convince my proper grandma they are semi-fancy? I mean, they needn't be serious job interview quality, but they should suffice in the semi-formal world of professional academia.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I dunno if this fits your requirement but my next pair of slacks that aren't matched to a jacket are gonna be these: http://www.betabrand.com/gray-dress-pant-sweatpants.html

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

How formal do you need? What's your price range? Do they actually need to be wool?

Wool slacks
Dead Bird
Organic cotton hippie crap that makes your rear end look good
It's not stylish, but man - is it functional
Are you a crazy euro?

Of the above, I'd say the most casual brand is Prana, but it's mostly cotton crap. Maybe their Brion pants? But there are a lot of options in the world.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Prana Zions are my go-to for hiking, climbing, and yoga.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Now my softshell is just big enough for a wool shirt baselayer and a fleece or puffy underneath it. So it's fairly snug, but comfortable. But it's cut in a way that I can still lift my arms fine and the waist doesn't shoot up to my nipples.
That's pretty textbook cut and fit for a softshell. And my hardshell is fairly snug with base/fleece/isolation layers underneath.

Any of you tried the new black diamond apparel? It looks pretty well put together.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

These are great suggestions, thanks! I'm torn between the Betabrand one and the Icebreaker one. I have had icebreaker stuff in the past and I really love their stuff, and those also look the most grandma-pleasing :rolleyes:

Also,
Sometimes I wish I were. Can you re-link or tell me which pants? Link borken :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alnilam posted:

Why am I asking this here? Because I post here sometimes and people here know about functional clothing, and frankly, I don't want to own any clothing that I don't also consider functional, nor anything that I would be afraid to be rough'n'tumble while wearing. So, it doesn't have to be something I would seriously go trekking in, but I never ever want to wear pants that will make me be all "bleh, I can't go to the park with you because I'm in my nice pants."
Outlier.cc makes exactly what you're looking for.

Speleothing posted:

How formal do you need? What's your price range? Do they actually need to be wool?

Wool slacks
Dead Bird
Organic cotton hippie crap that makes your rear end look good
It's not stylish, but man - is it functional
Are you a crazy euro?

Of the above, I'd say the most casual brand is Prana, but it's mostly cotton crap. Maybe their Brion pants? But there are a lot of options in the world.
Icebreakers look like sweats, dead bird makes some things very well but non-technical pants aren't one of them (there's a reason they're less expensive compared to their other pieces), kuhl's and mammut's stuff doesn't look like city wear at all.

Really, betabrand and outlier are prob your best bet. I'd do outlier but I'm a convicted fanboy.

alnilam posted:

Sometimes I wish I were. Can you re-link or tell me which pants? Link borken :(
It's not the link, their site's broken right now.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Outlier & Betabrand look okay. Depends on which city you're in. I wouldn't wear it.

evil_bunnY posted:

Any of you tried the new black diamond apparel? It looks pretty well put together.

It's all softshell or insulation. So that's the first thing, there are no hardshells or true baselayers in the line. No down - all synthetic, I think it's Primaloft, but I forget.
The line as a whole is very ice-climbing oriented. Some of it is good for ski touring, and some of it for fall/winter cragging, but even that stuff would be good to bring for multipitch ice climbing.
They've got these really nice little pocket-within-a-pocket on a lot of the jackets that holds your cell phone very securely.
The softshell pants are very good. Need to think about whether I want them. Somewhat snug, but who wants baggy ski pants for hiking?
Next year, there will probably be twice as many styles. Women's clothes will probably hit sometime in 2015. Also, next year's T-shirts & gloves & hats will be from the same design team, so there will be more uniform cross-line styling.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell. Will be buying one this fall, if they've got the size/color I want.

Sizing tends to be euro - try to go a little big. Sleeves aren't great for people with a positive ape index, I know guys with +3" and they were very unimpressed. The insulation pieces might feel roomy but that's because you're supposed to put them on over your shell when you're belaying.

Your local store should have their first shipment by now. There are some little things that will probably be ironed out next year, but the pricing is very competitive.