Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Maltose posted:

Dammit Syrg you're going to run this poo poo aren't you.

I ENTIRELY AM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You don't have to do it, man. You can just let it lie. You don't have to do every terrible internet thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

You're not the one who followed his link and bought it, I dunno what you're griping about.

Read and learn, I suppose! Also, I think your dollars funded at least three horrible witch girls to learn about hope again. Or unhope. Whatever giving them money pays for.

(I honestly do not want to know. Hopefully just Cheerios.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It pays for cigarettes that were once normal people with lives and families who wound up transformed into inanimate objects by sociopathic schoolgirls with magical powers.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
This is going to turn into A Very Trad Games Hallowe'en, isn't it?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Look, somebody's getting a life lesson out of this whether we like it or not.

Amechra
Sep 9, 2012
I hope it isn't me... :pray:

WGA and "Life Lessons" are not words I want to hear in a sentence together.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The life lesson is not buying terrible things for pennies on the dollar. Syrg is busting out of this a changed person.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Maltose posted:

The life lesson is not buying terrible things for pennies on the dollar. Syrg is busting out of this a changed person.

You do know who you're talking to, right?

Also I think we may have gone off the rails a bit here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goddamn it, Syrg...

FourmyleCircus
Sep 15, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

I want to suggest that autocorrect turned 'tenuous' into 'tedious', but it seems pretty honest as it is.

Google and I had the same reaction to Boddica: did they mean Boudica? Because god drat it, there's appropriation, and there's appropriation.

Gich. My skin's crawling already. I've always hated demonic child stories.
First: Yeah, they did. Now that I can see it, they totally did. I also misspelled it in my write up because they spelled it "Boddicaa". Two As. She really has no introduction aside from "Warrior, priestess, chieftain and witch, Boddicaa fought the Romans and established the groundwork of the nation that would become England." Then brief witch nonsense then, she gave her life during World War Two.

Secondly: If you have trouble with Demon Children, you should skip the Babysitting article in 13 Magazine.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I ENTIRELY AM
Oh good, saves me the trouble of running it. I had a short campaign of sorts worked up called "Bring Me The Head Of Lucinda Nightbane". Looks like I can throw away those notes.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Read and learn, I suppose! Also, I think your dollars funded at least three horrible witch girls to learn about hope again. Or unhope. Whatever giving them money pays for.
Lawyers, to sue Disney for W.I.T.C.H. and Sofia the First. Both lawsuits that have happened, though the latter is currently in the process of being rejected. Not kidding. They also sued another comic book company over Witch Girls. Which is why Second Edition and the Princess Lucinda Movie are on hold. And why their website is down.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, it's time for the next installment of...

(there was A LINK here but now its gone)

Witch Girls Adventures: All About The Voodollars: Part 2: loving Money, How Does It Work?

So, now that I'm through with the whitespace and tables, it's time to get the densely packed stuff. The first thing I have to say is I was wrong. The black boarders are on 13 Magazine. Now to the book. The page heading is Money In The World Of Witch Girls. However, we get another bit of their amazing proof-reading(as Syrg can now attest), where it takes the text of the last page and repeats it, giving us another thing of Raven's history. It's under History that this actually picks up. It goes on to talk about how Ancient Witches tend to look back on the past as the good old days, ignoring that there were just as many wars and diseases and just as much greed back then. But you could get away with telling people, and I quote "Give me what I want or I lay waste to your village with a plague of fire-breathing, flying sharks." and they'd probably open up a temple in your honor.

This resulted in every supernatural creature Child of Lilith declaring themselves divinity and killing people for profit. Then they all decided it was a bad idea and sat on their thumbs until humans invented The Economy(Civilization Style, I suppose), and then traded good and services until those wacky humans invented racism. So they had to go to the Gnomes Of Zurich, who are in this case, literal Gnomes living under Zurich.

The Gnomes Of Zurich operate the Luna Bank, which offers universal currency exchange, credit cards, and stocks and bonds, both magical and mundane. Thats right you can buy shares in Microsoft at the Luna Bank! The Luna Bank board is made up of two Gnomes of Zurich, one dwarf, and one of every type of Otherkin... and one human. Despite this, it's mostly run by the WWC. There's a note about the Longevity Account, which is a special type of bank account that six year old witches(as well as Vampires and Immortals) can open which will lock away their money until their hundredth birthday, and it accumulates interest until then. There are branches in every major city, and every magical city, which means that yes, you can go from school to the bank. Or more likely, there's a bank in the school.

The Great Vault is potentially the most interesting bit of the Luna Bank. Three miles beneath a Swiss mountain is where all the world's gold, that isn't actively in use, is kept. The vault is made out of Cold Iron, so only Dwarves, Gnomes, and people of Dwarf and Gnome ancestry can enter without "succumbing to the magic-negating nature of the vault".

The vault also contains the GOZ's computer system and various special meeting rooms, but they're buried in the granite, far below the Cold Iron Holding Vault. Nearby is the hidden dwarf/gnome/dwitch village of Ironheim.

And now we're onto the Law of Economic Influence. Basically, a couple paragraphs on what happens if you try to get rich quick. Generally, they'll just take the money away, but they might ground you without magic for a month, or freeze your account.

Now to the part that breaks the system wide open. How Much Is An Allowance Point? An allowance point is around $50 or 35 Euros. Look at the prices and know that that's fifty bucks. Your average Witch Girl gets a hundred and fifty bucks a week. This will be important when I read 13 Magazine

Now onto new Talents and Heritages. The New talents are Covetous(which gives you a +1 to get stuff you want, including begging mommy for more money), Generous(+1 rolls to "being giving charitable", or +2 to social rolls), Poor(Which sets "the character's monthly weekly allowance to 1(10 starting allowance savings)", but gives you +2 life levels and +1 to will rolls), Stingy(which lets you use broken items like new and get an extra dose out of all potions and a +5 to starting allowance savings).

The Heritages are up next. We've got the Alchemist who is actually pretty cool. She makes potions instead of casting spells like a normal witch. She gets a +2 to her potions roll for free, and all of her potion spells will run off it. An alchemist can make liquid, gas, or dissolving powder cake forms... That's right, you can drop tablets into people's drinks that will turn them into gold, a mouse, or make them more generous. She also gets a +3 to resist non-magical poisons and a +2 to resist magical poisons and harmful potions. Which means you can totally poison everyone's food and rely on an acquired immunity. On the down side, you've got a -2 to all rolls for casting spells normally, and casting normally costs two more zap.

Half-Dwarves(or Dwitches) have some of the worst non-dollar bill art in this book, and also are kinda offensive so I'm just going to give you the image...

That thing in her hand? That's a special magical dwarven smithy hammer. So, she's even being kinda singled out in universe.

The final new heritage is the Magi-matician. Which have magic math powers. You can spend two Zap Points(or, as the exchange rate between Zap Points and voodollars is one to one, a bag of cheetos) to reroll any roll once, and take the better outcome. Also, a +1 to the Basics skill and a +1 to math rolls. Due to their uncanny predictive abilities and memory, they get a +2 to either of those thing. Their down side is that they're bad with people, reducing their die type one step, and if their rerolls fail, they lose an extra zap point and become flustered.

And this is where I stop for the night because I really don't want to stare at the picture of a woman getting turned into gold or the spell that lets you steal another life form's magic to spend as cash. Hopefully, I'll get through the last of this book next post.

FourmyleCircus fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 17, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm pretty sure that Dwitch is actually half Oompa Loompa.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This thread just isn't the same without some genuinely terrible poo poo. Please never stop. :allears:

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

It wouldn't be the first WGA game on these forums.

But for now let us change tracks to what will hopefully be considered a happier subject: as of this past Friday, the Meikyuu Kingdom core books have been completely translated. Don't know exactly by whom, though, since they posted it anonymously on 4chan's /tg/ board, but here's a more permanent link to the bare-bones PDF they put together for anyone who's interested. Problem as it pertains to this thread is whether or not I should continue with my write-up (which is still ongoing, yes, I've just been busy) or let you all just read the game itself there and skip ahead to Meikyuu Days.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Please stop linking the WGA bundle. You've done enough damage as it is.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Bitchtits McGee posted:

But for now let us change tracks to what will hopefully be considered a happier subject: as of this past Friday, the Meikyuu Kingdom core books have been completely translated. Don't know exactly by whom, though, since they posted it anonymously on 4chan's /tg/ board, but here's a more permanent link to the bare-bones PDF they put together for anyone who's interested. Problem as it pertains to this thread is whether or not I should continue with my write-up (which is still ongoing, yes, I've just been busy) or let you all just read the game itself there and skip ahead to Meikyuu Days.

I'd still quite like to see your write up continue. Since it's pretty helpful to someone who hasn't ever played the game before. Although I do have a personal motive here, in that I never understand a game until someone else has taken me through it, because I'm somehow incapable of learning a system on my own. Which is annoying when you're trying to introduce folk to a game and have to keep turning to the guy to your right to ask how something works, but hey, what'cha gonna do.

Selfishness aside, I guess the question comes down to this: Do you feel that the barebone PDF covers everything you had to say about this game? If yes, then go onto Days. If not, stick with Kingdoms until your satisfied

Amechra
Sep 9, 2012
YES! YES!

MEIKYUU KINGDOM YES!

I'm sorry, I've been having a bad week. That's loving amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This may be the best place to post this link... History of critical hits in gaming.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Keep going. These write ups are like having someone walk through the book explaining things as one goes along as opposed to taking the thing and figuring it out alone. Particularly for more novel RPGs like this one. Also, doing the same thing there incurs more comments from the peanut gallery which range from :science: to :spergin: to :getout:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FourmyleCircus posted:

Lawyers, to sue Disney for W.I.T.C.H. and Sofia the First.

Suing the High Emperor of Copyright Protection? Good loving luck with that Harris.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Xelkelvos posted:

Keep going. These write ups are like having someone walk through the book explaining things as one goes along as opposed to taking the thing and figuring it out alone. Particularly for more novel RPGs like this one. Also, doing the same thing there incurs more comments from the peanut gallery which range from :science: to :spergin: to :getout:

Also, the 4chan translation has made some questionable choices for facility names. If your writeup just tells me what an arixang is supposed to be, I'll be happy.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Rifts:™ Dimension Book One: Wormwood Part 15 “Wormspeakers and friends”

Wormspeakers are the lonesome indies of the Wormwood-praying world. They’re ‘from the peasant class’ and generally not affiliated with any larger organization. Regular folks consider wormspeakers to be holy people and oracles. Which, the wormspeaker as kind of a pagan/outsider alternative to the more hidebound doctrines of the Cathedral would be kind of neat. It just isn’t spelled out or explained much. Also, for some reason, 95% (:biotruths:) of them are male. Basically these folks meld themselves with worm-like symbiotes and gain various powers from doing this. This whole symbiote thing makes them very in tune with nature (as understood on Wormwood) and also kind of gross, as detailed by Erin Tarn.

They get some extra PPE and MDC, and a set list of ten Wormwood powers. The apok also gets a set list of ten, which sound more combat oriented. It also states that the wormspeaker can’t take ‘impervious to symbiotes’ for obvious reasons, and won’t create some of the more ominous sounding artifacts. They also get ALL (sic) worm symbiotes which we shall hear about in detail later I suppose. :cthulhu:

trustworthy

They get a random splattering of skills and one common magic weapon. Their symbiotic worms give them some armor, generally worn under robes, and they can wear light armor otherwise. I’ll cover the symbiote powers in that section, I really don’t remember how good they were and next on the list is the Symbiotic Warrior anyway.

The Symbiotic Warrior is a human or D-bee fighter who gets powers from Wormwood symbiotes, so like a cyborg, but won’t work off the planet. For some reason they also get this: “As a rule, the majority (if not all) of the character’s attributes are average or below average.” Well, mathematically, yes, that is true. But--okay. Also Darkness has dark symbiotic warriors, they’re evil aligned.

armor is okay but not pants

They get a little MDC, some limited Wormwood powers, and four symbiotes of choice: one claw, one crawler, one star, and one worm. They get new ones every other level and have no hesitations with specific symbiotic products. They also get one common magic weapon (by this the book seems to mean ‘techno wizard items’) and they can wear any armor they want, it just doesn’t seem to be default equipment.

How powerful this class is depends on how strong the symbiotes are, and which one chooses I imagine.

Next we have the Holy Terror. This is an RCC. They’re basically armored fighting machines--or seem to be anyway. They never take off their armor and nobody knows what’s inside. They first appeared 55 years ago at ‘Demroggan’, presumably a stronghold of evil, when some fool shifter opened a rift to them. Unlike most otherdimensional beings, they sided with the humans immediately and sent an army to help. Of course, they killed the shifter who opened the gate and don’t know how to get back. So there’s a few thousand of these wandering around. They tend to choose slightly silly names like “Brok the Destroyer” and "have a full range of emotions, with a deep respect and patience for life."

gait may be a little stiff though

They’re almost all good, never outright evil. They’re vulnerable to rune weapons and fire. They can grow from 10 to 20ft tall, see invisible and turn invisible at will. The invisible thing is kind of hilarious, a 20ft invisible monster. They also have a range of natural magic weaponry including lightning bolts (1d6x10), laser eyes (5d6), fire body spikes (up to 16 per day, 4d6 each), and as a bonus attack they can breathe a toxic cloud in a 20x20 area. This cloud can be sleep gas, equal to a fifth-level spell, blinding mist (lose half actions and speed), toxic cloud (6d6 or 1d6x10 to supernatural and reduce attacks by one and bonuses by half). That last is fairly nasty, but a huge number of things in-setting are immune to poison or in sealed armor. They can also cast a list of several spells twice per day, including Call Lightning and Fireball which seems redundant.

They have some minor psionic powers and 2d4x100+200 MDC. These things are walking tanks, and they regenerate every other round and grow back limbs in two days. They weigh 7 tons though so they may be best kept on the ground floor. They don’t get any equipment, but who needs it? These are instant twink-bait, even more than the apok. A wide selection of good damage and status effects, spells, and lots of abilities. The problem is that you don’t really get much after this, your skill percentages and combat bonii go up but you are going to be using the same stuff at 15th as at 1st. Also lack much character arc besides destroy evil.

Okay, that’s long enough. Remaining are the freelancer and both knightly orders.

FourmyleCircus
Sep 15, 2013
Witch Girl Adventures: All About The Voodollars Part 3: Rainbow Connection

(there was a link here, but now it's gone)

New Spells, get'cher new spells! Most of these are illegal, so don't tell anyone where you got them.

Ace in the Hole is second level Divination spell spell that gives you a +2 to Resist Magic or Reflex against the next attack of whoever you specified in casting, or a +2 to your Games skills if just playing a game. By itself just kinda cool. But combined with the Alchemist you go straight into addiction kink territory. Taking a moment in battle to drink something before coming back faster than ever.

Advance Alchemy(Alteration 2) is probably a victim of their inability to hire a decent proofreader. What was probably meant was Advanced Alchemy. It turns a base metal into gold, silver, or some other precious metal for the duration of the spell. Don't sell it, that'd break the law of economic influence. But what spell do you use to turn the resulting gold into cookies?

Beggars Choice(Mentalism ?) forces the victim to be free with their money. They gain the generous trait for the duration of the spell, and lose any trait that would make them stingy. If cast successfully on a parent, that parent will increase a Witch's Allowance (for a minimum of a week) by 1 point per MTR of the spell. That's right, Alchemist. Slip fizzing poisonchemical cakes into your mother's OJ to get an extra hundred dollars a week.

Cha-Ching (Conjuration 1) allows you to make 1 allowance point(fifty bucks) per MTR... and requires a Hard Sense, Art, or Mind roll to detect. Also illegal and will probably get your rear end tracked down by the WWC if you use it to buy anything bigger than a hamburger.

Insider Trading(Divination 3) gives you insight on the stock market and economic changes. Simply focus on the thing you want to know more about and cast it. You can use it on a stock future or an eBay bid equally. If you succeed, you'll know how much it'll rise, fall, or what the high bid will be in an auction, for one day per MTR. Once again, when combined with the Alchemist, you get someone constantly taking various chemicals because they're more 'in touch with the universe'/better that way.

Midas Touch, just in case you thought I was joking about turning people into gold. Alteration 4/Curse 5. Two different spells, same name. With the alteration version, you can choose to either turn everything a person is carrying to gold along with them, or just them. Meaning you could theoretically strip down your rivals and leave them naked and frozen in public. Thanks WGA, just what I always wanted. But, hey. It makes for a good Non-Lethal Takedown. And remember, using magical gold to buy things is illegal, so you can't just melt them down and make them into jewelry without the Magi-Maticians and Gnomes of Zurich looking at you funny. Well, unless you keep the jewelry for yourself. It also presents us with the first overt fetish picture of the book.

The curse is just the curse of King Midas with the limitation that it won't turn anything bigger than a grown human adult into gold, and you can designate whether it's the hands, feet, or mouth.

Net Robber(Cybermancy 2) lets you take money from one online account or bank and transfer it to another. It can be used legally or just to steal funds, which is of course illegal.

Paying the Ferryman(Necromancy 4) is actually a really interesting spell on it's own. You can bribe death to leave you the hell alone. Two life points are returned per Allowance Point spent. Of course, there's a down side. You lose an extra zap point for every life point recovered. If you run out of Zap in the next day or so, Death's Boss notices the bribery and sends a Dread Wraith after you, with intent to kill you.

Rainbow connection(Elementalism 4) should be a fun, happy spell. It allows you to turn rainbows into physical objects which you can hide behind, use as a slide, use as a ladder, whatever. It also allows you to find a Leprechaun's crock of gold, if there's a hidden one in the area. The reason this isn't a happy thing will come up when I get to the new monsters.

Space Vault(Time and Space 3) lets you turn anything(living or not) into a storage space. When activated, the spell opens a hole in the target 1Ft by 1Ft per MTR of the spell. The hole can befilled with anything, then closed and sealed(not harming the vessel). At any time, you can just open that sucker back up, so long as you're the same person who put the spell on them and you use the same spell. Yet another reason to carry around a shrunken human in your purse. So you can use them as a second purse. Undo the shrinking for a moment, pin them down, cast the spell, and put stuff in them. Or, I suppose, you could store stuff in your best friend in a totally consensual manner.

Space Vault is technically the last spell in here, but there's copies of unproof-read versions of Paying the Ferryman, Rainbow connection, and Space Vault after it...

New items!

Alchemist Globes are basically grenade cases that cost 1 allowance point for every two. Nothing more to them. Make your own Gold Gas Grenades.

The Alchemist Shooter is actually really cool. It's this nice raygun thing that shoot potions up to fifty foot. It can hold six different spells, and three doses of each. As you can make gas versions of spells... You know you want to be like Darkwing Duck. A drug addicted, preteen Darkwing Duck. I have no idea where I was going with that... Anyway, it's 7 AP.

The Credit Card Broom is... a broom that turns into a credit card. Or more specifically, it's an enchantment that lets you turn your broom into a credit card for an extra two allowance points.

The Luna Bank card is a bank card. The only new magical thing about it is that it can summon cash directly, and it makes it harder for people to steal from you. If you get less than 4 allowance a week, it costs 1 AP, if you get 5 or more, you it costs 2 AP.

The Money Charm is a charm braclet or necklace that lets you trade in Zap points for cash. More specifically, your maximum Zap goes down by one, but your allowance goes up by a point a week for as long as the charm is worn. You can only wear one at a time, and it costs Five AP... which means it takes five weeks to pay for itself. Now, what I'm curious about is how it works in a way that doesn't mess with the laws of Fincancial Influence. Is there another partner charm out that there that gives an extra zap in exchange for an allowance point? Are the Gnomes using it to power Magic!Google?

The Wammer is a one foot long hammer with a smaller than normal head that acts both as a smithy hammer and a wand. That's right, you can have a Dwitch and her wammer. Anyway, it has all the same properties as a basic wand, but it gives a +1 to enchantment and Fix rolls. Like the Alchemist Shooter, it costs 7 AP.

Casting Call!
So, here we are, in the home stretch. I'm almost done with this accursed book... and then I'll have to move onto something worse. Why didn't I read The Void instead?

Dwarves are immune to Cold Iron, they know where all precious metals and gems are within twenty feet of them, and they get two extra life levels and ignore one point of damage for being short and tough. They have three to eight(so... 1d6+2) ranks in magic, but can only place it in Conjuration, Elementalism, Divination, Illusion, Healing, Offense, and protection. They can't get higher than 4 ranks, and only the oldest have a four in anything. They're just... dwarves. The live in small villages, together. THey don't fear people, but they don't care for them either.

The Jikininki are zombies that eat people and things, and are obsessed with eating certain things, and go after greedy people. Not much to say here.

Leprechauns are alcoholic potheads who can get you stoned by being the same room as them. They're also amazing good with numbers and can count any amount of money instantly. This makes them good bankers. They're good liars, and amazing tricksters(+2 to any roll to be sneaky and tricky), and oh yes. Their crock of gold. All "leperacauns" have a crock of gold with 50-100 AP of gold in it. If anyone takes their gold, the know. The more gold you take, the weaker they become. When all of their gold is gone, they lose the ability to use magic and become normal people until they manage to refill it. They also turn into axe murders and will track your rear end down. Rainbow Connection no longer looks so innocent, does it?

Luck Spirits help you get lucky. No, not like that. That's what magic roofiesLove Potions are for. Luck Spirits are teleporting spirits that can curse you with a -5 to all rolls or your allowance, or bless you with a plus five to all rolls or your allowance. It takes a Very Hard roll to resist, but is simple enough to break. For a negative one, you knock on wood or toss salt over your sholder. If you want to break the good one, just break a mirror. Luck spirits live in objects and if that object is destroyed, they die. They only appear if their homes are in danger, to watch games of any sort, or if someone wrongs them. Oh, and if you abuse spells that make you lucky, they'll show up to kick your rear end. So don't rig the super bowl or the lottery.

Sphinxes are witches and the descendants of witches that sided with Echidna. So, now they're giant winged lion women who can turn to stone, petrify people, and track people for two thousand miles... And yes, they're good with riddles. Sphinxes guard stuff. They're also an all female egg-laying species that lays every hundred years, and has a life span of five hundred years. I don't know why the game felt I needed to know that.

Yaotl are stone golems in gold armor. Which means they're immune to electricity and ignore two points of all damage. They're Aztecs golems that will steal stuff to bring back the Aztec empire. A cool idea, actually.

And that's it. I'm done with all about the Voodollars. Join me next time when I go through 13 Magazine, a supplement presented as an in universe magazine. So it tells you more about Witches than you ever wanted to know.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I'd still quite like to see your write up continue. Since it's pretty helpful to someone who hasn't ever played the game before.

Xelkelvos posted:

Keep going. These write ups are like having someone walk through the book explaining things as one goes along as opposed to taking the thing and figuring it out alone. Particularly for more novel RPGs like this one.

That's good enough for me, then. Hopefully I can get it done and up in the morning sometime. :)

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, the 4chan translation has made some questionable choices for facility names. If your writeup just tells me what an arixang is supposed to be, I'll be happy.

Huh. Looks like the anonymous translator just went with the English names that APS included alongside the Japanese on all cards (Skills, Facilities, Monsters and Traps), which sounds convenient, only they're not always direct translations and sometimes their idea of "English" goes flying way out into left field, as evidenced by their reference to "ogging" for a suicide attack skill. No idea where they found "arixang", though... It's a fairly easy fix, in any event.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Problem as it pertains to this thread is whether or not I should continue with my write-up (which is still ongoing, yes, I've just been busy) or let you all just read the game itself there and skip ahead to Meikyuu Days.

Wrap it up! You've come so far!

occamsnailfile posted:

Next we have the Holy Terror. This is an RCC. They’re basically armored fighting machines--or seem to be anyway. They never take off their armor and nobody knows what’s inside. They first appeared 55 years ago at ‘Demroggan’, presumably a stronghold of evil, when some fool shifter opened a rift to them. Unlike most otherdimensional beings, they sided with the humans immediately and sent an army to help. Of course, they killed the shifter who opened the gate and don’t know how to get back. So there’s a few thousand of these wandering around. They tend to choose slightly silly names like “Brok the Destroyer” and "have a full range of emotions, with a deep respect and patience for life."

Oh, Rifts. "We have no idea what these are, where they come from, or what motivates one, but you can still play it!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wormwood: You can play an Autobot if you really want to.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I like how it specifies that they have a full range of emotions. These are twenty foot tall, invisible robot warriors who really represent the pathos of the common man.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Chapter 5: The Dreamtime

We're entering the SCAR zone, they must've assumed that no one would get this far and put all the bad art here.

In the real world, the Dreamtime is the name given by the Aboriginal people to the legendary past, when the world was created and their ancestors walked the earth. It's also a place that still exists and can be visited today ("A concept that confuses Europeans", because the white man can't understand I guess). Their oral tradition represents their histories and legends that trace 50,000 years of tradition, and is the longest continual history of any people in the world. There are over 200 Aboriginal tribes, each with their own tales of the Dreamtime, with their own ancestors, names for plants and animals and geographical features.

And names for the giant land tumors

In the World of DarknessGOTHIC PUNK AUSTRALIA it's a real place, being Australia's Penumbra, cut off from the rest of the Penumbra by the Bunyip in ancient times. During the mythic ages, the spirits and totems of the Aboriginal people lived as men and women among them. When that time ended, the spirits needed to find places to live. Some became animals, others became features of the land, like Uluru and Kakadu. These places must be maintained to preserve the land. Before the coming of the Europeans, the Aboriginals would dance and sing to honor these places and ensure the land's health. The sacred sites have not been maintained for over a century, Australia is dying and unless the Aboriginals can return to their dances the entire continent will be barren desert before long.

In the Australian Penumbra, diprotodon and giant kangaroos live side by side with Nargun and Mimi. The Penumbra in Australia has always been closer to the physical world than it was elsewhere. The Aboriginals honored the land and spirit as one, so they were never sundered the way the rest of the world was. The cause of the severance was debated for many years, whether it was the Weaver spinning her complex webs, or humanity's fear and denial of the reality of spirituality. But the Aboriginals were so much better more enlightened than the Europeans, and didn't have either of these things.

The Umbrascape
The Dreamtime resembles the natural Australian landscape as it was thousands of years ago, untouched by the Europeans. Powerful wards placed by the Bunyip upon the dreamtime have preserved the Dreamtime as it was when they first arrived, so it remains unfamiliar to the garou of today. Which seems kind of weird. Why would they lock down the dreamtime? Wouldn't that prevent it from developing naturally? That's a special kind of hubris for the most spiritually in tune tribe to have. The only way it makes sense is if they were operating with the knowledge that the Europeans would arrive eventually and gently caress everything up. So the reason the Dreamtime survives is because the bunyip run the metagame like pros.

quote:

Some Moon Paths in the Dreamtime lead to the prehistoric Realm of Pangea. Garou may enter Pangea and not realize it until confronted by a grazing herd of dinosaurs. Other Moon Paths lead to the Legendary Realm and to the Atrocity realm. In this last Realm, the War of Tears is endlessly replayed, and Aboriginals are endlessly poisoned, raped, and shot.
Yes, the Atrocity Realm isn't a pleasant place to visit. No you didn't need to point out specifically what happens there. It's not just the War of Tears. Also: another Rape reference. Stop.

The Dreamtime is bathed in eternal twilight, the setting sun is always in the west, and the rising moon always in the east. Physical deserts are marked by ethereal sandscapes. Central Australia is still dominated by a prehistoric inland sea. Real world forests are Penumbral rainforests. Tree kangaroos, brightly colored birds, and wombats running everywhere. Australian Megafauna are also still alive here, Giant kangaroos, ground sloths, flightless birds, Diprotodons, giant wombats, Goannas, and Marsupial Lions and thylacines.

In the areas where the physical world has been "scarred by the actions of mankind" it is no longer pristine. Sure it's still trees and megafauna loving everywhere, but the forests where cities would be are covered in spider webs and dying. Places of great evil are rotting and populated by banes. Pentex facilities have glowing trees and pockmarked radioactive ground. The Dreamtime itself seems to reject these changes, and Garou who visit it have found that moon paths twist and turn, and some never come back. According to the book, most Garou only step sideways in Australia as a last resort.

Inhabitants of the Dreamtime

quote:

The Dreamtime is a place of wonder and terror. The Dreamtime remembers the genocide of the Bunyip and has not forgiven the Garou. Its spirits are unfriendly and must be coerced or threatened into communicating. The Black Spiral Dancers are trying to form alliances with certain dreamtime spirits, with some success.
Again, I have to ask. How willfully stupid did the European garou have to be to let things get to this state!? We're talking "Pants go on the head, right?" levels of idiocy here. Were they so blinded by their lust for cereal grains that they didn't realize that the Dreamtime didn't approve of the slaughter of the bunyip? Even then, what have they been doing the past 100 years? "What's that? The black spirals have been building up a Caern in a Uranium mine? That's nice, but the Get of Fenris leader on the Jindabyne council is a racist you guys!"

Anyways, Inhabitants.

Today, son, you gaze upon the giant snatch and become a man.
The Earth Mother
Gaia goes by many names in Australia: Imberombera, Ungulla, Waramurungundi and Eingana. She's primarily concerned with the health of the people, animals and land, and is responsible for the fluctuations of the seasons. She came from over the seas, carrying the Aboriginal tribes within her body. As she moved across the land she formed the hills and rivers; planted yams, waterlilies, palms, and other vegetation; and gave birth to the Aboriginal tribes. Sometimes she appears in the Penumbra as a gigantic woman carrying vegetables, roots, and a digging stick. The Wyrm's corruption is evidenced by scabs and weeping sores on her back. She moves through the dreamtime as she pleases, stopping to rest in the shade of trees or on the banks of rivers.

The Rainbow Serpent
Ngalyod, Imberombera, Borlung, The Rainbow Serpent has many names. What is agreed on is that it is the most powerful incarnae in Australia. No one knows what gender the Rainbow Serpent is. According to some tribes, The Rainbow Serpent created the mountains and rivers of the outback with the undulating coils of it's body as it slithered across the primal land. In other tales, The Rainbow Serpent, concerned for it's creations, swallowed up all life, keeping them safe within its belly. As each one was held in stasis in this way, they added their colors to Ngalyod's skin and soon he was every color in existence.

Of course a world without color was kind of boring, one without animals and plants even more so, so Kookaburra flew up, distracted it with his bright wings, and stabbed it in the stomach, allowing all life to escape from the wound. Ngalyod still wanted to protect all life, so it gathered up the individual drops of blood and formed them into the Bunyip. Except the Bunyip were werewolves who came here over the ice bridges that didn't exist. :v:

Ngalyod inhabits the waterholes of the dreamtime, spending the hot afternoons curled up at the bottom of the bodies of water. After the rain, it arcs across the sky from one body of water to the other. But, uhh... Apparently there have been no rainbows in Australia since the Bunyip have died. Sure. Ngalyod has not forgiven the European garou for the death of his children, but he's beginning to see them as a potential ally against the wyrm.

I'm trying to think of an Olympics joke but failing.
Gnowee the Sun
A long time ago, there was no sun, everyone lived in darkness. Thus they hunted by torchlight and it was always cold. A woman named Gnowee lived with her young son at the darkness at the edge of the world, one day she went out hunting for yams, and reached the edge of the world. Like any logical person, she then decided to climb underneath the entirety of the world and pop out the other side, unable to find her son, she climbed up into the sky to try and find him, in the process becoming the Sun. She wanders the sky during the day, peering down for her son, at night she travels beneath the world until her search begins again at dawn.

So she's the sun, and is apparently visible in the Dreamtime as well, except the dreamtime is in perpetual twilight, remember? I mean, come on book, if pressed I can forgive you forgetting the origin story you gave the Bunyip, that's from this chapter, how'd you forget that?

Meeka the Moon
Meeka was a greedy man who stole food from his nephews. One time when they went hunting they invited Meeka along. They found a very tall gum tree with witchetty grubs in it, and Meeka said he would climb to the top of the tree and gather all the witchety grubs for himself. Once he reached the top, his Nephews told him "Hey dude, I bet the stars are pretty good eating too." And once he dug his fingers into the sky to try and get at them, they cut the tree down, leaving him trapped. So it's not actually the moon up there, it's just a pale overweight goon. No one knows what happens to him during the day, supposedly he turns into a fish and swims to the other side of Australia.

Heeeeyy Hooooo
Namarrkon the Lightning Spirit
An angry misogynistic spirit who enjoys destruction, rain, and storms. He's not evil, just... you know... angry and misogynistic.

Dreamtime Spirits

Women, am I right?
Bagini
Bagini are female spirits with sharp claws on their feet and hands. They force men to make love to them, draining their will in the process. They appear as voluptuous young Aboriginal women clad only in their long hair. They rely upon smiles and their rounded figures to distract a victim from the claws. They're spirits of conception that live in southeastern Australia. They find a lone man and attempt to seduce him, if he resists they become enraged and cut him to pieces. Wyrm Corrupted Bagini set nets and eat their victims once they're pregnant.

Fly my pretties!
Jannok
Ferocious wyrm spirits that travel in hunting flocks and pursue their quarry relentlessly. They look like bipedal humans with batlike wings. They can't be used for flight, but they allow gliding. They climb up trees with their weak hands, and glide at their prey, making a single attack with their wickedly clawed feet before gliding away to another tree. They inhabit areas where great sorrow occurred, like, you know, everywhere a Bunyip has ever died.

Koala
Koalas are actually the spirits of lost children. They can be convinced to teach gifts if you're nice to them.

Thylacine jaws could open this wide, yes, but they didn't have the muscle structure to actually bite hard.
Kurpannga
The hairless devil dingo. He's larger than a bull, with tendons and veins rippling across his bare skin. His teeth are long and wickedly sharp and bloody saliva drips from his jaws.

Kurpannga is Wyld incarnate, a powerful Jaggling of revenge created by the medicine men of the Mulga-seed tribe. The Hare-wallaby people, the Mala, had arrived at Uluru to initiate their young men into manhood. the Wintalyka, or Mulga-seed men, heard of this. They sent their messenger, the bellbird Panpanpanala, to invite the Mala to a ceremonial dance, and asked them to bring some material for body painting. The Mala, angered by the request, sent only white ash and an uncivil reply. The Mulga-seed people urged their medicine men to take revenge for the slight. Thus Kurpannga was created, and went and slew all of the Mala. Today, Kurpannga haunts the dreamtime around Uluru, and bears a powerful hatred for anyone he considers a stranger (which includes the Garou).

So, being warlike and imperialistic is bad. Wiping out an entire tribe and creating a creature of eternal hunger just because they turned down your dinner invitation, A-OK.

Not racist we swear
Mimi
Tall, thin earth-spirits, so fragile that they dwell within the rocks lest they be swept away and destroyed by the wind. They're a shy race of hunters that creeps out of the rocks on still days to dig for yams and slay small game. Fianna believe they're Fey that are only acting like spirits to gently caress with the other Garou. Eight feet tall, stick-thin bodies, long arms and legs, huge eyes and ears, fingers like a bunch of twigs. "They represent elongated caricatures of the Aboriginal people." Most cave paintings in Australia are are either of them or done by them.

This thing will kill you.
Nadubi
Wyrm spirits who steal children and poison those who wrong them or tresspass on their lands with their spines, which inflict a slow and painful death.

They're four feet long with spindly arms and legs, skin that resembles charcoal, long spines protruding from their knees and elbows. Their faces are a featureless expanse of wrinkled skin and they let out constant wracking coughs even without mouths. When they die nothing remains but a pile of charcoal.

Special mention needs to be made of their unique charm.

quote:

Poison Spines (Power cost: 5 per attack; the poison injected by a Nabudi's spine after a successful Brawl attack is fatal, even to Garou. The Garou may be cures with the Gift: Resist Toxin, or if she can somehow gain the favor of a major spirit with healing powers, but otherwise the poison is invariably fatal.)
First of all, all it says is that it requires a successful Brawl attack, not that that attack needs to deal damage. Their manifested form has a somewhat impressive 6 die pool to brawl, meaning that they'd succeed more often than not. If you don't spend an action to dodge, you're probably going to get hit. Second of all, Resist Toxin is self-only, and only Bone Gnawers and Fianna can learn it. Note that that is can learn it, most people don't because it's ludicrously situational. Third of all, this book has gone on at length that the local spirit world hates the Garou, and would rather watch them die than help them. The only thing limiting them is the fact that they only have enough Power to do it 3 times after manifesting. But if you toss more than one of these at a pack, at least someone is dying. Four or more, hello TPK.

Nargun
Earth-spirits that are made of rock and fire. They're immensely strong and capable of surprisingly rapid movement despite their appearance. They appear as large boulders when still or asleep, but when angered or active they have short powerful limbs, dark hollow eyesockets, and big strong hands jaws. When angry, they can move as fast as the elemental fire that birthed them.

If you leave a fire burning in the dreamtime, you may find yourself surrounded by Nargun when you wake up, though they're slow to anger and really just wanted to get warm. They're the immortal enemies of the Ninya ice-men and delight in melting them.

Ngarang
Malevolent spirits that dwell in the roots of ancient trees, they're Wyrm-corrupted Turongs(We'll get to them later, the perils of alphabetically sorted lists). They're tall and emaciated with long hair and beards, with wiry arms that are nonetheless hideously strong. Their skin looks like bark that has been scorched by fire. Apparently they were corrupted by Black Spirals who fed them human flesh, so now they crave it, hiding in the hollows of trees and reaching out with their long arms to grab humans and pull them into their homes.

It's pretty damning when the best thing you can say about a piece of art is that it's not horrible.
Ninya
The ice-men mentioned earlier. They were originally Wyld spirits but were corrupted by the Wyrm back when they wandered the ice caps that encompassed the world (what?). They resembled aboriginals but have pale skin, white blood, and icicles for beards and hair. They're made of ice and scatter frost as they walk. Fierce heat melts them so they live in terror of the Nargun.

They were birthed by the earth mother when the world was formed. They dwell in a network of caverns beneath Mount Connor, near Uluru. They hope that when the Wyrm takes over the world, they will be allowed to build glittering palaces of ice and frost like they did back in the Ice Age. When one of them dies they all mourn since no new Ninya have been born since the world began.

(sustained scream)
Potkurok
Trickster frog spirits that resemble shoulder-high frogs with man faces. They're inquisitive and love playing jokes, and nothing makes them happier than driving Garou into a frenzy with a well timed trick. They aren't malicious but HATE THE GAROU because that's just what spirits do nowadays.

Dinosaur Hunter
Turok
Non-corrupted Ngarang. They look the same but have non-burned bark. They roam the tops of trees, dropping twigs on people they don't like, people they especially don't like may get branches or trunks. Possums are their allies and they worship Moodai the Possum spirit. The Fianna think these guys are fey too.

Wa-tha-gun-darl
The bulldog-ant people, great builders and one of the few Weaver spirits found in the dreamtime. They're 16 inches high and resemble anthropomorphic ants. They dwell in sprawling tunnels close to the surface, usually in the dreamtime's temperate bushlands. As weaver spirits, they often use traps to catch their prey, though larger prey gets taken down by a swarm. If one member is in danger, the entire hive rushes to their defense.

Their manifested forms are rather weak (no strength, 1 stamina, one health level) but for each Wa-th... antperson who's nearby and spends a power point during the same action, they all get a cumulative strength and dex boost. So sure individually 30 of them might go down like wet paper, but they can bench-press the moon and beat you with it.

The Bunyip

quote:

The European Garou were correct in claiming that the Bunyip were different than them, but their assertion that the Bunyip were not Garou could not have been more wrong. Australia’s indigenous Garou were closer to Gaia than were their immigrant cousins. The Bunyip, in their centuries of solitude, had become peaceful creatures. Far from participating in the atrocities of the War of Rage, the Bunyip rarely fought or argued. They were more solitary than other Garou, shunning a pack existence and living in isolation… The Bunyip were the authors of many Australian Aboriginal myths, and guardians of the Aboriginal spirit.
Lest we forget, yes, the Bunyip were better than you could ever hope to be. The book goes on to say that they spent many hours contemplating their rage (which they saw as a corruption of the Wyrm) which is why they lived in isolation. They could also step freely in and out of the Penumbra, failing to see a difference between Gaia and the Dreamtime, and thought the European Garou were all crazy since they talked about this whole ‘gauntlet’ thing.

Next we have all the gifts the Bunyip used to have, and you know, for “peaceful creatures, unaccustomed to war” they have one of the best combat gifts I’ve ever seen.

quote:

Bloody-Mindedness (Level Five) - The Bunyip spends two Willpower points. Afterward, nothing save death can distract or dissuade the Bunyip from her chosen task. She need not eat or sleep. If the power is used in combat, the Bunyip becomes oblivious to any other opponents and consequently may not dodge their attacks. Her soak Dice Pool versus these attacks, however, is doubled Versus the chosen opponent, the Bunyip gains one extra attack per round, and the difficulty of all actions against that target are reduced by one. She also becomes immune to supernatural attempts to dissuade her.

How do you get proportions this wrong?
The Spirit Tribe
So their brutal slaughter at the hands of the Europeans broke the Bunyip from the cycle of life and death. They felt betrayed, and felt that Gaia had abandoned them. So instead of passing on to her womb to be reborn, they remained as spirits haunting the Penumbra. But that’s not all.

quote:

Ghost Bunyip’s power is drawn from the Underworld, the Dark Umbra where the spirits of humans go after their death. The Bunyip, however, are not wraiths, but a unique spirit tribe. Rather than dwelling in the Underworld, they feed upon the death energies emitted by it, allowing them to exist as ghosts in a Realm at the edge of the Penumbra. Their great anger of their unjust destruction poisons the Dreamtime, turning the spirits and the land itself against the Garou. Despite the atrocities committed against them, they have not turned to the Wyrm.
So yes, even in death the Bunyip are better than you.

In addition to all of the gifts the bunyip had access to (yes, including Bloody-Mindedness), they can force the dreamtime itself to attack any Garou near them, drain their gnosis or the Gnosis of their caerns, induce a depression from which death is the only escape (unless they succeed on a diff 8 willpower roll), force the Moon Bridges that the Garou are traveling on to drop them off in the Atrocity realm with no means of escape. Or reverse the gauntlet, trapping the Garou in the umbra with no means of escape. Basically, if the Ghost Bunyip find you, you’re already dead.

Totems
There are a bunch of totems, I’ll only go over the more remarkable points.

Ngalyod the Rainbow Serpent

quote:

Ban: Children of the Rainbow Serpent must become parents as soon as possible for the Rainbow Serpent is a spirit of creation and birth.
“Honey you’re insatiable lately.”
“Yeah I have to sire a child to sate the rainbow snake that lives in my head.”
“What?”

Mu-ru-bul Tu-ru-Dun the Bunyip
A Furred, flippered, scaled monstrosity with a long mane. Bunyip was a favored totem of the tribe that bore his name.

quote:

Ban: Bunyip asks that his Children honor him by drowning one enemy each year in fresh water

I repeat, “a peaceful people unaccustomed to violence”.

Kendi the Frill-Necked Lizard: Wyrm Totem
This guy isn’t that interesting except, well

quote:

(followers of Kendi) also gain a spined neck ruff of bone and scale, completely protecting their throats(3 extra soak to the neck). Like reptiles, they may regulate their metabolism by absorbing heat, acting at up to double speed(two actions per turn) for a number of turns equal to their homid form’s Stamina. They may only do this once per scene, however.
Yes, because that’s how endothermic creatures work, they absorb heat from their surroundings and then go super mode.

Up Next: How to run an Australian Chronicle

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 18, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Literally everything in this is centered around their interaction with westerners. They aren't given room to actually exist as more than a backdrop to white guilt.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I thought that some of the Bunyip's former Totems had ended up being adopted by Rat - Tasmanian Devil being the one that springs immediately to mind. Are the Bunyip less likely to be huge flaming assholes to Bone Gnawers then, or does my favorite tribe not get any breaks?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

FourmyleCircus posted:

Half-Dwarves(or Dwitches) have some of the worst non-dollar bill art in this book, and also are kinda offensive so I'm just going to give you the image...

That thing in her hand? That's a special magical dwarven smithy hammer. So, she's even being kinda singled out in universe.

AHAHAHA!

They used Hero Machine, ala 2008 or 2009 to make that.

I made that exact same character for Shadowrun.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think that's one of the regular WGA artists, it's just that sufficiently terrible RPG art is indistinguishable from a cludgey flash app? Or something along those lines. I guess with the other art, tracing is not out of the question.

Amechra
Sep 9, 2012
Just chiming in to say that I can't wait until Meikyu Kingdom's monsters are covered. They are a thing of "beauty".

Amechra fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 18, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kurieg posted:

Australian Megafauna are also still alive here, Giant kangaroos, ground sloths, flightless birds, Diprotodons, giant wombats, Goannas, and Marsupial Lions and thylacines.
That's a different loving continent drat it :argh:

:shrug: unless they're trying to talk about Palorchestes or something, but I really doubt whoever wrote this book knows what that is.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 19, 2013

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

U.T. Raptor posted:

That's a different loving continent drat it :argh:

:shrug: unless they're trying to talk about Palorchestes or something, but I really doubt whoever wrote this book knows what that is.

That, and diprotodons and giant wombats are the same thing, and big-rear end flightless birds are still around - they're called emus and cassowaries.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Rifts:™ Dimension Book One: Wormwood Part 16: “Men-at-Arms”

The freelancer OCC is listed as ‘a good intentioned mercenary or adventurer, wizard, warrior, cyborg or even a dragon or supernatural being who fights against evil’. Way to be broad, broady. Though they go on to say that the “classic” freelancer is a human man at arms allied to but not a member of the Cathedral.

that is a good-intended sign of chaos

A lot of freelancers want to be knights but many of them are peasants and often illiterate, they just dislike this demonic incursion into their homeland and want to kill it. The class finally nails itself to a role by saying that unaligned but good aligned PCs can be any class, freelancers work for the Cathedral.

Freelancers then roll on a chart for what special thing they have. These can include extradimensional weaponry like Kittani weapons, a magic item of ‘medium power’, extraordinary physical strength and endurance (re-roll this character), extraordinary PP and Speed (enh, 1d4 to PP is good but not that good), or a small selection of symbiotes. This already leaves the class all over the map but still markedly inferior to things listed above.

There’s also a chart to roll or pick for background, at least it’s optional. They get a few small bonuses, a selection of weapons entirely at player discretion, and can wear any armor but tend towards the heavier varieties because they aren’t dumb. Of note, they keep giving the stats for the armors in each class listing, though this is the first to really include plate/banded/higher D&D armors. Also apparently they like shiny costumes and motorcycles and stuff.

Next we get the Knights of the Temple. As mentioned, I am glad they are not some conspiracy thing this time, even if the name makes no sense in this world. They generally come from long militant lines, and Wormwood has a contiguous enough history that an aristocratic population could exist. Their role is just not well-explained outside of being ‘noble’. The Order has a strong culture of loyalty to the Cathedral which does not permit questioning its dictates, and they are themselves favored by their position as a result. This would be fine if the book did not go on to compare them to Earth’s samurai in how haughty and indifferent they are to ordinary people. :wtc:

that armor gives him +5 to smug

They have a code of honor which replicates some of the knight code from England but with some key modifications like “never use a weapon on a human opponent not equal to the attack,” which in England lacked the word ‘human’. It also says that section isn’t applicable to ‘lower class’ enemies, as well as D-bees and demons and whatever. It’s still a super-dumb code but it left out the stuff about women and added some human supremacy, clarified a couple things, and requires obedience to the Cathedral. The class does not restrict itself by gender.

They are almost completely identical to the freelancer in getting a choice of armor and weapons. They just require PS and PE of 14 or higher. Some of them ride motorcycles, some ride various animals or robot animals or mythical beasts. They dress vaguely like rich pricks, in blue and gold and such, but there’s no uniform. They’re just specifically not allowed to use symbiotes, and they get more respect in this moneyless society.

i feel like i can almost name which 40K unit this is

Knights hospitaller are the nicer knight-guys still directly serving the Cathedral but less known for being classist. They also are “eternal optimists” and so require a high MA and ME. “On another world, in another time, they might be considered noble and courageous paladins” oh come on Kevin look up what those actually were outside of D&D. They’re incorruptible and compassionate and some of the Cathedral higher-ups think they’re a little rogue in their do-gooding ways. :colbert: For the moment, the evil of the Unholy is far more serious than war profiteering however, so the hospitallers leave the corruption of the Cathedral for later. Especially since if they openly question or defy it, they get sent on suicide missions.

optional: dress like Odin

They also have a stupid code of honor which is nearly identical to the templar one, down to certain sections applying only to noble humans, and put back in the specific respect for women. It also says to never attack an unarmed foe (even monsters) which may be hard to really quantify given the profusion of fangs, claws, poison breath, etc. that supernatural enemies sport. Otherwise almost completely identical to the templar class except only 30% of them ride motorcycles.

That’s it for the native OCCs of Wormwood. Some of the Core classes are encouraged, including ‘dragons’, and of course temporal classes play a more prominent role here. Calling the two knightly orders the ‘templars’ and ‘hospitallers’ is dumb. They have zero connection to the historical origins of those names. They could be the ‘Knights of the Star’ and ‘Knights of the Crown’ or any other pair of vaguely symbolic references one wanted. The whole christian iconography thing is pretty silly but I’d be willing to ignore it if they didn’t keep almost bringing it up and then not addressing it.

Anyway there’s some standard Champion of Light squad lists that follow, they’re uninteresting. Next is our three statted signature characters, The Confessor, Lazarus Vespers, and Dorsey Pentecost.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's funny because I just saw the other day that Flint Henry had worked on the last Judge Dredd event... and it turns out that after Wormwood, Flint Henry went on to do work for 2000 A.D., where he has worked near-exclusively since (most notably on Judge Dredd). Of course, most of the art there in that post is Roger Petersen (miscredited as "Roger Peterson") who would go on to draw things like Predator and Swamp Thing comix.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 19, 2013

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

Rifts:™ Dimension Book One: Wormwood

Pretty sure I neglected to mention it at the time, but the idea of the planet itself as a living organism that responds to the presence of sentients by forming itself into structures struck me as an idea with a high degree of applicability. :mmmhmm:

On a more immediately relevant note, as previously stated, the PDF's shortcut method on the card names left some questions hanging at certain points, so I'll be re-translating those as I get to them. I've also decided to risk coming across as a primadonna and am rejecting their translations for most of the game terminology. In the former case, I'll make a note whenever my translation and the PDF are significantly different; in the latter case, it's just me finding the majority of their word choices unnatural rather than wrong (though if you want to accuse me of just having my own terms stuck in my head and refusing to shift them, I guess there's not really any evidence I could present to the contrary :v:), so I don't imagine anyone will have any great difficulties in puzzling them out.

ANYWAY,

Cynical-Pop Meikyuu Kingdom Dungeon Theater

Chapter 3.3: Everybody Delve!

The next phase of play is called the Dungeon Phase, because it takes place in the dungeon. Any questions so far?

First thing the Dungeon Phase needs is a dungeon. Since making one is the GM's job, all you'll have to show for it at the start will be one of these (which was probably put out on the table after the Prologue in the last phase):

Don't have to worry anymore about getting the sheets labeled up and described. Handy!

The Dungeon Name is, by default, the only part that the GM is required to write down for you. The spaces at the bottom of each room are for the number of Traps (the T that looks like it's surrounded by laurels) and Enemies (the E in the black smiley devil face) present within it; these are only filled in by Gather Information checks. Usually, the same goes for the name of the Dungeon Boss (Ruler), although that may have been revealed by the game's plot (if you're storming a dungeon with a name like "The Lair of Siembieda the Mad", it doesn't take Mycroft Holmes to figure out who's probably waiting at the end). The check box in the corner of each room gets marked when that room has been fully explored. This comes up later.

The Time Tracker in the middle measures how long you've spent in the dungeon. Cycles in the Dungeon Phase are measured in Quarters, with each Quarter following the progression of Move, Encounter and Make Camp, to be detailed shortly. Four elapsed Quarters equals one Turn, which is where things get tricky. At the end of a Quarter, if one full Turn has passed since the last time the Court used at least one of the two food Items - {Boxed Lunch} and {Full-Course} - everyone loses 1D6 <HP> to hunger, and will lose an additional 1D6 <HP> at the end of every Quarter that passes afterwards, until you either find something to eat or the Phase ends, for good or ill. After three Turns have passed in the dungeon, the Court starts losing 1D6 <HP> at the end of every Quarter due to exhaustion; this is separate and cumulative with the loss from hunger, so watch out!

(What the map doesn't remind you of is that if you use three or more of the food Items combined in the course of a single Turn, everybody gets hit with the "Fat" Status Effect, which makes it harder to move around in combat. :btroll: So, while management of your time and resources is important here, trying to solve the problem with overkill will only hurt you in the end.)

But you can table those concerns for now, because you haven't started even one Cycle yet. C'mon, dungeon ain't gonna explore itself, ya know.

Left: a typical dungeon camp scene. Right: a Priestess falls victim to the dreaded Candy House trap.

Move

First step is the simplest. Pick an open Passageway leading out from the room you're in and move through it into an adjacent room. Entering the dungeon is considered your first movement, so you'll just skip to the next step at the start. If the dungeon is spread out across more than one map, moving from an edge room on one map to another is still just one move, since despite appearances they are still adjacent.

Also, you can freely cross any number of previously explored and cleared rooms in one go, but nothing stays empty for long out in the Million Dungeons. Every time you move into an emptied room, have one of you roll a 2D6. If the result is less than [Number of people in the Court + number of rooms already crossed], the GM rolls on the Random Encounter Table and a group of Monsters appears. If this happens, the move is interrupted, and you must proceed with the...

Encounter

When you arrive in a new room, the GM describes the visible interior features, generally including any monsters/people/other such beings present, the names and numbers of which are written down in the middle of the room's square. What happens next depends on their disposition:

• Hostile - For whatever reason, they just plain don't like you. Combat begins as soon as you enter the room.
  • Neutral - They have no strong feelings one way or the other! (:golfclap:) Random Encounters always start out as Neutral. You can go ahead and attack Neutral Monsters anyway, or you can try and Negotiate with them. This is handled by having a Court representative roll 2D6 against the Negotiation Table (if Negotiating with a Random Encounter, subtract 2 from the result). Typical results involve giving something to the monsters (an Item, some money, a good duel) to turn them Friendly, or refusing and turning them Hostile.
  • Friendly - For whatever reason, they just plain love you guys. If you really want to be a dick, combat is still an option, or you can play nice, end the Encounter step, Make Camp and start an Exchange with them.

However the encounter winds up being resolved, if you're not ready to stop yet, you can attempt to Press On. Have a representative make a Charisma Check with a Difficulty of [Court's total <Staff> / 10 + 7]. If successful, you may make another Move without advancing the time. If it fails, you just...

Make Camp

Once you've got everyone settled down, the Quarter is essentially over, but there's still a bit you can do before turning in. Each member of the Court may perform one of the following actions; all actions are considered Planning, so you'll be Spent once they're resolved. Who goes in what order is entirely up to you.

• Search - Specify a Passageway, a particular object within the room, or the room itself, then make a (Wit) or (Adventure) Check to search it for traps. The Check's Difficulty is [Number of people in the Court + 7]. If successful, the GM reveals all Traps or other information hidden at that location; if it turns out there's nothing special there, you pick up 1 Material of a random type as a booby prize.
  • Disarm - If a Trap has been discovered that can be disarmed with an Action Check, you can make it now.
  • Gather Information - Works exactly as in the Kingdom Phase, except that you can only gather info about adjacent rooms.
  • Exchange - If there are any Friendly Monsters in the room, you may attempt to strike up a trade with them. Choose one of the Monsters as a target, and then select one of the following types of exchange:
    • Information - Choose another room in the dungeon and make a (Charisma) Check with a Difficulty of [5 + target Monster's Level]. If successful, learn the same information about that room as if you'd made a successful Gather Information Check.
    • Materials - Make a (Charisma Check) with a Difficulty of [7 + target Monster's Level]. If successful, you may discard a number of any Material not listed on that Monster's card up to their Level, and receive the same number of any Material that is listed on their card.
    • Citizenship - Make a (Charisma Check) with a Difficulty of [9 + target Monster's Level]. If successful, that Monster joins your <Staff>, and if they're still alive when you make it back to the Kingdom, they stay on as a new Monstrous Citizen.
    The Exchange Check can also be modified under certain conditions:
    • If the target Monster has any <Empathy> for the character making the Exchange, the Check's Difficulty is decreased by the total amount of <Sympathy>, and/or increased by the total amount of <Antipathy>.
    • If any of the Monsters present have the "Intrigue" or "Public Enemy" Monster Skills, increase the Difficulty by 2 for each.
    • The GM may award voodollarsalter the Difficulty by 1-3 points based on the player's roleplaying of the Exchange scene.
    • If the target Monster surrendered in combat, decrease the Difficulty by 2.
  • Rest - Even downtime is full of excitement for a Landmaker. Pick an Attribute, and roll 2D6 against the Rest Table for it. Typical results vary by Attribute: (Wit)'ll get you <Vox Populi>, (Charisma) increases <Sympathy>, (Adventure) digs up a free Item or discovers something new about the dungeon, and <Valor> tends to breed <Antipathy>. There's no restriction on which one you roll, but most of the results also require Checks, so you're probably better off not picking your lowest.
  • Other - Any other Support or Planning Action, such as from Items or Skills, can be used at this time. Co-Operative Actions are also kosher. Anything besides that has to be cleared with the GM first.
  • Change Battle Formation - If you want to change where a character is placed at the start of combat, you can do so now. Unlike the others, this action is completely free.

But wait, there's more! If any Check made in Camp comes up as a Total Failure, in addition to the normal effects of such a result, you have to roll against the Incident Table for whichever Attribute was being used in the failed Check. Results range from really bad to even worse. Roll high. :ohdear:

Once all actions have been resolved, mark off the time on the map and start again from Move. The Dungeon Phase will continue in this manner until the scenario has been successfully completed, the Court is wiped out, or you give up and return home early. However, note that heading back to the Kingdom does not automatically end the Dungeon Phase; it's possible to head back out and try again, but this carries its own set of risks which will be covered with the Ending Phase.

In between that, though, combat is practically a phase in itself, and this post has taken long enough to get done, so Next time: roll initiative! I can't wait!

Amechra
Sep 9, 2012
Aw...

What he left out is that if you roll a 2 on the Incident table, every single one of them requires you to get drunk due to loss of faith in self.

Also, the entire Charisma table is sexy misunderstandings. I'm not even kidding.

Unless the guy who translated the PDF added those in; I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
In this post I finally get around to continuing
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
Chapter 7: Equipment
The chapter in which we get our gear on.

In Westeros, barter is commonly used by the smallfolk in their day to day lives, with money being the purview of nobles and merchants, though it also depends on where you live: nobles in the hinterlands might not have lots of coin on hand for trade while in large cities like King's Landing enough currency circulates that everyone uses it.

Coinage
The games gives a list of the coins used it Westeros and it's a mess.

Coins are divided into copper, silver and gold. But not so fast!

There are copper Halfpennies, Pennies (worth 2 halfpennies), Half Groats (worth 2 pennies), Groats (4 pennies) and Starts (8 pennies).

Silver Stags are worth 7 Stars (or 56 Pennies) and Silver Moons (7 Stags = 392 Pennies).

There is thankfully only a single gold coin, a Dragon worth 210 Stags (30 Moons or 11,760 Pennies)

Then there's a list of some trade goods to provide some benchmarks for judging the value of things: A loaf of bread and a dozen eggs are each 1 penny, a chicken is 4 pennies as is a pound of tea leaves, a puppy and a pound of salt are both 3 silver stags, a cow is 9 silver stags and a pound of saffron is an entire gold dragon per pound.

Then there's a list of items you can buy, followed by the list of weapons. (The weapon list takes up more space than the list of every non-weapon and non-armor item).

In the weapons, you've got your Axes, your Bludgeons, "brawling" weapons, fencing weapons, long blades, pole-arms, shields, short blades, spears, bows, crossbows and thrown weapons. Weapons generally range from 20 to 100 silver stags, except for the long swords and fencing weapons, and bows (a Myrish crossbow that fires three bolts at once is 2000 stags).

Armor ranges from 200 stags for padded to 3000 stags for full plate.

There are a bunch of different mounts, including a variety of horses for different jobs and barding for your mount.

There is a whole section of poisons a person can encounter.

Firemilk and Myrish Fire are used as disinfectants. Pouring them into wounds helps prevent infection but the pain it causes can be disabling. Alternately, Milk of the Poppy is used to induce sleep and dull pain, while Wasting Potion is used to help "purge" poisons from the body. Sweetsleep is a less potent substance than Milk of the Poppy for calming nerves and aiding sleep.

The dangerous poisons include:
Basilisk blood and Basilisk Venom are gathered from a jungle lizard. The blood is made into a paste and applied to meat. When eaten, it drives the person bugfuck crazy, eventually causing brain hemorrhaging and death. The venom, when ingested, causes muscle spasms and paralysis of the face and throat, leading to suffocation.

Greycap is a powder made from a poisonous mushroom. Has three effects: first, you just start puking and making GBS threads all the time. Then, the hallucinations. Finally, organ failure and death. Nghtshade is also a hallucinogen, as well as causing increases heart rate, dizziness and nausea.

The deadliest poison is the Tears of Lys, a colorless and odorless liquid that attacks the bowels and stomach. It's super potent, and sits around in the body a long while.

Second place might go to Strangler however, which is the crystallized extract of a foreign plant. Dissolved into a liquid, the poison causes the victims throat to constrict, choking them to death.

Next is Chapter 8: Intrigues

• Locked thread