Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Decius posted:

Crazily bonkers, I love it. This bodes well for the new TV season. Nice to see some decent viewership numbers for this. Luckily dead doesn't have to mean dead, because it would be too bad losing two great actors and interesting characters completely so early on.

I think Sherrif Clancy Brown is going to be around in voice form.

edit- I kind of want to get an avatar from this, but the last time I did that after a pilot I loved it didn't work out clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'll be happy to make avatar sized gifs or stills from the pilot. If you have a specific request, let me know.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It's blowing my mind that so many people enjoyed this scrapple. I mean, folks and strokes and all but the pilot is dumber than TRUE BLOOD, a syphilis I never thought would have an AIDS to make it look better.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ape Agitator posted:

This show moved at breakneck pace. I felt like I had watched a full season in the first episode where they just breezed past thing after thing.

Its probably a legacy from Fringe since Kurtzman and Orci learned that genre shows just can't sustain a slow burn. You have to actually give the audience a reason to stick around.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

soapgish posted:

It's blowing my mind that so many people enjoyed this scrapple. I mean, folks and strokes and all but the pilot is dumber than TRUE BLOOD, a syphilis I never thought would have an AIDS to make it look better.

I think comparing it in anyway to True Blood would be your first mistake.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, so I was hoping this dumb looking show would be just silly-spooky enough to accompany a nice pumpkin ale as the days grow cooler. By the evil John Cho/raided gun cabinet reveal, I was sold. Sleepy Hollow is 100% batshit and I'm loving it.

Sums it up pretty much perfectly: http://www.avclub.com/articles/pilot,102876/

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

muscles like this? posted:

Its probably a legacy from Fringe since Kurtzman and Orci learned that genre shows just can't sustain a slow burn. You have to actually give the audience a reason to stick around.

I like the symmetry of Clancy Brown being in this and Carnivale.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Le Woad posted:

I think comparing it in anyway to True Blood would be your first mistake.

Comparing something inane to something different yet comparably inane is a mistake? What else would I compare it to, THE SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL SHOW? Hmmm okay, I'll go with something else that had John Cho in it: It's blowing my mind that so many people enjoyed this scrapple. I mean, folks and strokes and all but the pilot is dumber than FLASH FORWARD, a syphilis I never thought would have an AIDS to make it look better.

If I've not made any more mistakes, I'll take a step back and wait for this thread to come to the indubitable realization that there's a bunch of Ritalin not being appropriately taken.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Honestly it feels way more like a mutant Fringe/Buffy/Supernatural lovechild.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Crisco Kid posted:

Yeah, it's not taking itself too seriously (at least not yet) which is a huge factor selling all this stuff.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

soapgish posted:

Comparing something inane to something different yet comparably inane is a mistake? What else would I compare it to, THE SALLY JESSY RAPHAEL SHOW? Hmmm okay, I'll go with something else that had John Cho in it: It's blowing my mind that so many people enjoyed this scrapple. I mean, folks and strokes and all but the pilot is dumber than FLASH FORWARD, a syphilis I never thought would have an AIDS to make it look better.

If I've not made any more mistakes, I'll take a step back and wait for this thread to come to the indubitable realization that there's a bunch of Ritalin not being appropriately taken.

My point, which I think still stands, is that you're picking strange points of comparison. Tonally this had pretty much nothing in common with True Blood, it's about as far away as you can get and still be considered genre, and instead is a lot more aptly described as some kind of lovechild of Buffy and The X-Files. It's crazy, insane, but also self aware. Which is a tricky balancing act that I thought it pulled off impressively well.

EDIT:

Crisco Kid posted:

:hfive:

Le Woad fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 17, 2013

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Le Woad posted:

My point, which I think still stands, is that you're picking strange points of comparison. Tonally this had pretty much nothing in common with True Blood, it's about as far away as you can get and still be considered genre, and instead is a lot more aptly described as some kind of lovechild of Buffy and The X-Files. It's crazy, insane, but also self aware. Which is a tricky balancing act that I thought it pulled off impressively well.

What does it matter how alike it is or isn't to something when the point of my making any reference at all was to communicate that it's dumber than the dumbest thing currently going? There is no X-FILES or anything to be had here because it's already established that the stuff is real, not of science, and does not need to be sought out. And what tension is there when they explicitly state the endgame isn't for nearly a decade, and the scope will realistically never be larger than a single town? That works for something like JERICHO as the town was the town, while Sleepy Hollow is but an allegory for some ridiculous religious tome gumbo.

This entire thread's praise finely boils down to "It's a piece of crap that knows it belongs in a dumpster, and that's why it's good!" While there may be genuine enjoyment there, it's still an act of irony.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

soapgish posted:

What does it matter how alike it is or isn't to something when the point of my making any reference at all was to communicate that it's dumber than the dumbest thing currently going? There is no X-FILES or anything to be had here because it's already established that the stuff is real, not of science, and does not need to be sought out. And what tension is there when they explicitly state the endgame isn't for nearly a decade, and the scope will realistically never be larger than a single town? That works for something like JERICHO as the town was the town, while Sleepy Hollow is but an allegory for some ridiculous religious tome gumbo.

This entire thread's praise finely boils down to "It's a piece of crap that knows it belongs in a dumpster, and that's why it's good!" While there may be genuine enjoyment there, it's still an act of irony.

I don't think anyone is saying that it's so bad it's good. It's genre entertainment that doesn't have an obnoxious slow moving plot that a lot of shows with overarching stories suffer from, it's got a lead pair with good chemistry, doesn't take itself too seriously, and it just a lot of fun to watch.

As for the stakes, the headless horseman is literally a horseman of the apocalypse, I highly doubt that he's only gonna affect the one city.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

soapgish posted:

Fair enough, if you just think "it's dumb" no one is going to convince you otherwise. Personally I thought it was surprisingly well written and, while it lacked good emotional conflict, was overall pretty well structured. As the A.V Club points out for all the ridiculous, Kitchen Sink approach it's actually fairly restrained and filled with a lot of good pacing and writing choices. I really do think it's a smarter show then you are giving it credit for.

I don't think anyone is putting this in the "so bad it is good" category, we're not hate watching, we found it legitimately compelling. Just because it's embracing its genre roots doesn't mean it's embarrassed by them.

Le Woad fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 17, 2013

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Gonz posted:

10 million viewers and a 3.4 share last night.

HOLD YOU loving BASTARD

(Seriously, great news, I hadn't seen much advertising so I was seriously expecting Mob Doctor numbers.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Le Woad posted:

Fair enough, if you just think "it's dumb" no one is going to convince you otherwise. Personally I thought it was surprisingly well written and, while it lacked good emotional conflict, was overall pretty well structured. As the A.V Club points out for all the ridiculous, Kitchen Sink approach it's actually fairly restrained and filled with a lot of good pacing and writing choices. I really do think it's a smarter show then you are giving it credit for.

I don't think anyone is putting this in the "so bad it is good" category, we're not hate watching, we found it legitimately compelling. Just because it's embraces it's genre roots doesn't mean it's embarrassed by them.

The entire premise sounds like something you'd expect on the CW. Fox trying to do more shows like that probably comes off of how relatively well Fringe did for so long. It wasn't a ratings bonanza but between the multiple seasons and DVDs sales I'm pretty sure it ended up well for Fox. Of course by the end it's ratings dropped in half once it was moved to Fridays. If Sleepy Hollow starts lagging but they want to continue it they can put it in the Fringe spot and let it run for a few seasons with 3-4 million viewers as an acceptable figure.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Also, just to throw more Book of Revelations in the thread, 14:1, I saw the Lamb and with him 144, 000, so I assume that ties into the population sign at the beginning.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think my favorite bit had to be when Crane related the story how he was to be on the lookout for a "Redcoat with a bow on his hand." They should've told him to be on the lookout for "A big, bald, honkin' Redcoat wearing a freakin' mask and looks like something out of a nightmare."

Unless I missed that part in History class. Did most Redcoats wear scary masks?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dingleberry2 posted:

Also, just to throw more Book of Revelations in the thread, 14:1, I saw the Lamb and with him 144, 000, so I assume that ties into the population sign at the beginning.

Definitely, though I still think it's way too large for the small town they want the show to be set in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

soapgish posted:

You know, if you think it's bad that's fine. But don't come in here and tell people that the only reason they like it is because it's so bad that it's good. Because that's bullshit. I think it's genuinely entertaining and well written. Is it a serious drama that's going to garner critical darling status? No. But after one episode it has the appearance of a fun show that's written well. So don't come in here and try to act all high and mighty and proclaim that the only reason other people like it is in an act of irony.

Hawkman
Aug 6, 2002

daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Random Stranger posted:

Definitely, though I still think it's way too large for the small town they want the show to be set in.
Yeah, just a bit. The actual village of Sleepy Hollow's population is like 9,000. The town that Sleepy Hollow is inside's population is only 43,000.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I went into this with a lot of skepticism, but came away solidly impressed. Unlike in Under the Dome or Falling Skies, which make me want to snort lighter fluid and follow it up with a lit match, the two leads gave a decently compelling performance and weren't written to be clinically brain-dead. They even avoided the constant repetition of obvious plot points that some shows I can think of use to explain things to those of their lowest-common-denominator audiences that missed something the last two times it was explained in full in the last ten minutes.

Oh gods, watching that other poo poo has made me so loving bitter. Anyone on the fence should try this. While it's no outstanding piece of televised fiction, it's actually decently entertaining. I hope the rest lives up to the pilot.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

soapgish posted:

Honest question: does it make me stupid for enjoying shows like this one, True Blood, Buffy, Fringe, & Supernatural? You do realize that not every TV show can be Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, correct?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This is better than game of thrones imo

E: ok its a bit early to tell

Tom Brady fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 17, 2013

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

soapgish posted:

What does it matter how alike it is or isn't to something when the point of my making any reference at all was to communicate that it's dumber than the dumbest thing currently going?

So you're complaining that a show which has zero pretensions about itself is dumb, while also making sweeping, incorrect generalizations about its viewers, while also coming off as a smug, pretentious dick. Good post, great job :bravo:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This show is way better than so many on TV. Its a pretty silly and dumb premise but theyre handling it amazingly. So glad we didn't have 20 minutes of "zomg how is this lamp aglow without thy fire" and that the characters seem to understand the poo poo theyre dealing with is kind of absurd.

Also, "do you think he heard us" hahahahha

E: but seriously the writing is enjoyable as heck, the script is hilarious and the actors kill it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Seriously, guys how can you not like a show where the headless horseman loving has a bandolier of shotgun shells. Like what the hell, this is awesome. I'm watching the episode on demand. I really like it, it's cheesy but in a good way. Plus the special effects are decent.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I think like, everybody likes it pretty much? :shrug:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Finally got around to watching the pilot - fun stuff. I really like the leads and how they're setting this all up. Most shows would have dragged most of the exposition put out here for a season or more and this one just tosses it all out and says "go."

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Gonz posted:

10 million viewers and a 3.4 share last night.

I'm in for the season pass!

I'm willing to forego all knowledge of history and literature, that's how much I liked the show.

In actuality, the show is different enough from actual history and the story that it's easy to get ignore all that and get into the premise of the show.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The yellow sign missing its head tells you everything you need to know about this show

E: wait theres actual history behind this :catstare:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Conquistador posted:

E: wait theres actual history behind this :catstare:

I meant like, that the apocalypse was involved with the Revolution, and witches and so forth. It's all good until my students start to take it as actual history...

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Quality wasn't great, but it's the kind of goofy show you can tune into, whenever you want, much the same way you can Arrow.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm willing to forego all knowledge of history and literature, that's how much I liked the show.

In actuality, the show is different enough from actual history and the story that it's easy to get ignore all that and get into the premise of the show.

Yep. My reaction was, "This is wildly inaccurate both in history and attitudes of eighteenth century British citizen turned American revolutionary... ah, gently caress it. They're having fun with it."

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Random Stranger posted:

Yep. My reaction was, "This is wildly inaccurate both in history and attitudes of eighteenth century British citizen turned American revolutionary... ah, gently caress it. They're having fun with it."

I'm disappointed the writer's decided to go with a British accent instead of a character with period correct Yankee dictum. I think it would have been funnier to have a character running around killing monsters while speaking like John Adams but harder to write so instead they went with a British accent as a plate setter for 'olde timey' accent.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, although it's justified as he's from England originally.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Finally watched the premiere, it was utterly ridiculous and I loved every single second of it. Tom Mison really nailed it.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Tupping Liberty posted:

Yeah, although it's justified as he's from England originally.

I think his point was that the British Accent of the 1700s was actually closer to a modern American Accent than a modern British one. Probably.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wait is that true? How would we know that? Ughhh so many questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Great show, I really liked it. Solid, entertaining and will probably be my favorite new genre show this year.

One question...who is the new boss that keeps threatening to "throw her off the case"? If tue Sheriff died, is this guy County? State? FBI? How does he come in and get to take over the Sheriff's dept?

• Locked thread