Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just "won" an auction on eBay for 30 FDS games in a bulk lot

... Here's hoping it isn't 30 copies of golf & f1 racing :smithicide:

I saw some wavejack boxes so I'm hoping for some interesting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I believe there was also a Super Mario World pinball machine. Either way, post more of ~dem hotel arcade stories~

the wizards beard posted:

I'm pretty sure the MP3 versions are compressed rips of the games that are only designed for playing on emulators. The filesizes for complete ISOs will probably be much larger but they should play correctly on the real hardware.

I think you are supposed to convert the MP3s to WAV; then burn them to the disc. If done properly it should work on the Sega CD just fine.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

flyboi posted:

I Bought Famicom Wrestling, Ice Hockey, Sokoban and Pro Golfer Saru for the FDS.

For a golf game it's really cool, you're playing in canyons and on top of skyscrapers :shobon:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I believe there was also a Super Mario World pinball machine. Either way, post more of ~dem hotel arcade stories~
Actually the "Super Mario Bros." pinball machine is based off Mario World. There was also "Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World" that came out later, which was oddly based on SMB3.

My local bowling alley recently got a Mushroom World machine and it's really fun! They also have a Mario Bros. machine, but the rest of their arcade stuff is all newer.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

Ha, I did this too a few months back, ended up with an interesting mix of things. There were two or three that were mislabeled, though.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Peenmaster posted:

I know it's not as aesthetically pleasing as UGCs, but you could get a binder, fill it with those 9x9 Trading card collecting pages made from the clear plastic (buy high quality) and those hold gameboy games pretty well. Saves space too since all your games are in one binder. I don't know of a proper :retrogames: solution though.

I have a question of my own that I hope I can get some help with. I recently got a SegaCD, but I can't seem to get backups working right. Most of them don't boot at all, and the one that does, has no sound at all. The only ISOs I could find of SegaCD games are ISOs that come bundled with a bunch of MP3s that are all the game sounds. It works fine on emulators, but when I burn the ISO, it's no good. Why are they so weird? Where can I find proper ISOs, or what can I do to make these work?

Sorry if this counts as :filez: talk. I promise I'll send a check to Sega.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but those trading card pages were always prone to static for me. I certainly wouldn't want to subject my little circuit-boards-in-plastic-shells to that, it just sounds like a bad idea. I know people who use them for their HuCards and that idea just scares me.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Peenmaster posted:

I have a question of my own that I hope I can get some help with. I recently got a SegaCD, but I can't seem to get backups working right. Most of them don't boot at all, and the one that does, has no sound at all. The only ISOs I could find of SegaCD games are ISOs that come bundled with a bunch of MP3s that are all the game sounds. It works fine on emulators, but when I burn the ISO, it's no good. Why are they so weird? Where can I find proper ISOs, or what can I do to make these work?

Sorry if this counts as :filez: talk. I promise I'll send a check to Sega.

It's such a pain in the rear end, I don't feel like even typing it out.
What you need to do is burn a "Mixed Mode" Cd.

Use winrar to extract all files from the ISO. Put these files on the Root "Track 1" of the CDR.

Hopefully your burning software will convert mp3 to wav to make CDDA audio tracks, so you just add them as track 2, 3, etc..

Hope this helps.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

in_absentia posted:

It's such a pain in the rear end, I don't feel like even typing it out.
What you need to do is burn a "Mixed Mode" Cd.

Use winrar to extract all files from the ISO. Put these files on the Root "Track 1" of the CDR.

Hopefully your burning software will convert mp3 to wav to make CDDA audio tracks, so you just add them as track 2, 3, etc..

Hope this helps.

This is wrong. The iso + mp3 should have a file with a .cue extension which if you have nero should be able to burn it properly. If it does not have a cue file grab the program Sega Cue Maker http://www.racketboy.com/downloads/sega-cue-maker.htm

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
A lot of the Sega CD and Saturn games were ripped around 1998 in that crappy iso and mp3 nonsense. Back in the late 90s when everyone was still stuck on 56k at best it made for a good idea. It worked in emulators well enough. But really hardware even if you burn it correctly you run into issues (granted Saturn more than SCD).

Best thing to do is look around and get actual real ISO rips of the games and not mess with that crap at all. There was a group that reriped everything properly a couple years ago and it is pretty easy to find.

The hardest thing was finding actual ISO rips of some of the more obscure JAP Saturn games. Everything for the Saturn has been redone as well, US releases are a lot easier to track down than Japanese though.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I've been looking for a decent CRT tv lately because I'm poor and a nice tv with an upscaler isn't an option for me. I found a nice TV with s-video for $6 from Goodwill, but I apparently cannot handle with whine from CRTs. I'm currently using one now, and it's slight enough that I can tune it out, but literally every other TV I've tried has given me an instant headache. Does anyone else in here have this problem? Is this something you can just adjust to? I can't remember it driving me crazy as a kid when CRTs were actually around and on all the time. Have I just become an old sensitive babby?

I know this is a long shot, but is there anything that can be done to lessen this? It's getting pretty frustrating that every TV I try is too loud except for this garbage composite mono piece of garbage that I'm using now.

EDIT: Also I just wanted to say that I've been reading this thread from the beginning slowly over the last week or so because I'm unemployed and have nothing better to do and it's a pretty great read! It does make me wish I could buy literally everything and turn my house into a video game hovel, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Ha, I did this too a few months back, ended up with an interesting mix of things. There were two or three that were mislabeled, though.

That's the rule for FDS, of course. I'm sure that some of flyboi's lot will have had a visit to the FDS re-writer.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Djarum posted:

They used to have a pretty good arcade in Holiday World too but sadly the last time I went there which was almost a decade ago it was gone.

I haven't been there in far too long, but yeah the last time I was there it was definitely a hollow shell of what it used to be. The only games I can remember are the random jackpot ticket games (which I'm incredibly lucky at), whack-a-mole type stuff, and pretty well Dave & Buster type garbage.

habanero walrus posted:

TV whining

I know this is a long shot, but is there anything that can be done to lessen this? It's getting pretty frustrating that every TV I try is too loud except for this garbage composite mono piece of garbage that I'm using now.

Does your $6 Goodwill TV have the option for video 1/2/3 and such in addition to the regular cable like channel 2,3,4,etc? If you're looking at a staticy snowy background does it make the same whining sound as it does when it's on a solid black video screen? This will sound ghetto as all hell, but if you hit your tv on the side does it affect the sound at all?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Random Stranger posted:

That's the rule for FDS, of course. I'm sure that some of flyboi's lot will have had a visit to the FDS re-writer.

Some have pirate labels and I have 0 faith that they'll work on my FDS as it has the 'newer' controller. I'm contemplating getting the disk writer software and modding the FDS but it is likely more pain than it's worth. There's some ultra-commons I'm hoping for so we shall seeeeeeeeeeee

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

habanero walrus posted:

I've been looking for a decent CRT tv lately because I'm poor and a nice tv with an upscaler isn't an option for me. I found a nice TV with s-video for $6 from Goodwill, but I apparently cannot handle with whine from CRTs. I'm currently using one now, and it's slight enough that I can tune it out, but literally every other TV I've tried has given me an instant headache. Does anyone else in here have this problem? Is this something you can just adjust to? I can't remember it driving me crazy as a kid when CRTs were actually around and on all the time. Have I just become an old sensitive babby?

EDIT: Also I just wanted to say that I've been reading this thread from the beginning slowly over the last week or so because I'm unemployed and have nothing better to do and it's a pretty great read! It does make me wish I could buy literally everything and turn my house into a video game hovel, though.

Your ears are sensitive to the high pitched squeal that CRTs let out. Everyone in my family thought I was nuts when as a kid I'd say "the TV is on" meanwhile the screen was completely pitch black.

It should not be getting worse as you get older. If anything, it should be harder to hear the older you get. Does this remind you of it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0 (go up to the higher numbers when it becomes more difficult to hear but it's still noticeable to you).

That usually does get worse the older TVs get. I am pretty sensitive to it and didn't notice it on all TVs. I noticed it was worse on older TVs. Newer Panasonics or flat Sonys never gave me this issue. My parents had a nice Toshiba CRT from the early 90s that had s-video and I heard it like crazy.

I also notice it on virtually every arcade tube monitor I've ever used, but that's probably because they are completely exposed and are typically pretty old.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As a weird aside, my LCD tv is louder when it's off. I usually turn it on in the mornings to stop all the drat noise.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Tyson Tomko posted:

I haven't been there in far too long, but yeah the last time I was there it was definitely a hollow shell of what it used to be. The only games I can remember are the random jackpot ticket games (which I'm incredibly lucky at), whack-a-mole type stuff, and pretty well Dave & Buster type garbage.

Back in the early to mid 90s there was a little arcade in the Halloween section by the log ride. It had a ton of good stuff in there including Stadium Cross deluxe which is still to this day one of the most fun arcade racers I have ever played.

One if my good friends took his family there this year and told me all the cool stuff from when we were kids is gone; the arcade, the wax museum, etc.

Last time I was there was for my company picnic in like 2003/4 and I used it as a excuse to get drunk at the park and drive the old timey cars.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
This might be late but the prior mentioned retron 5 will allow USB backup of game saves. How user friendly it is IDK but I think im gonna preorder it. Only carts i cant backup are n64 which only good games that are battery save im wortied bout are ocarina of time (i dont own re2, and pokemon and stuff is flash) but i have that on gamecube so im cool

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Tyson Tomko posted:

Does your $6 Goodwill TV have the option for video 1/2/3 and such in addition to the regular cable like channel 2,3,4,etc? If you're looking at a staticy snowy background does it make the same whining sound as it does when it's on a solid black video screen? This will sound ghetto as all hell, but if you hit your tv on the side does it affect the sound at all?

I have to find a universal remote to test the input thing but I can't imagine it won't. It's not old (it says manufactured in 2008) and doesn't look to be crappy. It doesn't seem to matter what it's displaying though and hitting it does nothing/

It should not be getting worse as you get older. If anything, it should be harder to hear the older you get. Does this remind you of it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-iCZElJ8m0 (go up to the higher numbers when it becomes more difficult to hear but it's still noticeable to you).

That usually does get worse the older TVs get. I am pretty sensitive to it and didn't notice it on all TVs. I noticed it was worse on older TVs. Newer Panasonics or flat Sonys never gave me this issue. My parents had a nice Toshiba CRT from the early 90s that had s-video and I heard it like crazy.

I also notice it on virtually every arcade tube monitor I've ever used, but that's probably because they are completely exposed and are typically pretty old.

I don't think the noise itself is getting worse; I think it just bothers me more. And yeah, around 15000 hz is exactly it. As I said above, it's actually not an old tv.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

quote:

Unfortunatley old age is the only thing that will fix this. Or you could purpously damage your hearing to kill that particular frequency, but that seems drastic. I use to hear the squeal from crts when i was around 10-12, and im not in my 30s and dont hear it anymore.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Okposolypse posted:

This might be late but the prior mentioned retron 5 will allow USB backup of game saves. How user friendly it is IDK but I think im gonna preorder it. Only carts i cant backup are n64 which only good games that are battery save im wortied bout are ocarina of time (i dont own re2, and pokemon and stuff is flash) but i have that on gamecube so im cool

I'm unaware of such a feature. We're still trying to find out how well it will render NES games over HDMI. :v:

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm unaware of such a feature. We're still trying to find out how well it will render NES games over HDMI. :v:

I read it an interview with Thier marketing director

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/117841/retron-5-interview-this-hybrid-plays-practically-everything/

The scaling system doesnt look like total crap but who knows how it plays. For me the all in one backup might be worth the price alone.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

zenintrude posted:

You're probably thinking of The Grid, which absolutely anything posted about on the last page... it's inferior in every way to WAR Final Assault.

It definitely wasn't The Grid but the machine setup looked pretty much the same. After watching some gameplay vids I think it might have just been WAR because I can't think of any other multicab FPSes that resembled Unreal Tournament or Q3A a lot.

habanero walrus posted:

I've had this same problem my whole life and to this day. I guess I'm too sensitive to really high pitch noises. My family even has a cheap lovely tiny flatscreen TV that belonged in the garbage 6 years ago because it somehow emits a worse noise than a CRT :psyduck:

The thing is I really love CRT glow/blur/everything about a CRT, so to date these are my best solutions
1) Use a XRGB 2+ and really nice VGA CRT that doesn't make a horrible whine
2) Use a normal TV and turn up the volume or stereo loud enough to drown out the whine entirely (turn up the bass for more bass too)

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 17, 2013

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Your ears are sensitive to the high pitched squeal that CRTs let out. Everyone in my family thought I was nuts when as a kid I'd say "the TV is on" meanwhile the screen was completely pitch black.

I'm 33 and I still hear CRT flyback transformer sounds fairly well, and it's especially awful on my Toshiba from 2005. I wish it wasn't so bad because it looks fine otherwise. :(

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Okposolypse posted:

The scaling system doesnt look like total crap but who knows how it plays. For me the all in one backup might be worth the price alone.

Part of me is kind of pissed to read this as backing up saves is 99% of the reason I bought a Retrode and adapters in the first place, but the fact I can possibly FINALLY get my super ancient Ultima Exodus save off my NES cart does have me pretty excited.

After typing that, really off the top of my head I can't think of any other NES game I'd want to pull a save from and I really don't NEED one for any other reason...so I may hit up one of you goons who gets one and see if you could hook me up with the service. I'd gladly provide some cool stuff for the effort obviously.

Right now game save wise I'm still waiting for the Retrode's firmware update to come out so I can dump saves back onto GB carts. Stupid/cool me pulled my original save from by Pokemon Blue a few months back, and after confirming it works in an emulator I started a new game. It wasn't until after I cleared my crap until I realized the ability to transfer it back to the GB game that the ability hadn't yet been implemented.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

Either way, post more of ~dem hotel arcade stories~

When I was small times, like single digit, I remember playing Discs of Tron in a hotel arcade. It was in Iceland, on Naval Air Station Keflavik. My father was a Navy Chief and stationed there around '87 or '88. He brought the family along and was then PCS'ed to South Carolina. On our final night in Iceland, we were staying in an on-base hotel, and my father was holding my brother and I up to reach the controls, taking turns. I had no idea how to play the drat thing, but my brother was a wiz and got pretty far.

It was dark as hell outside, and just as cold (always loving dark in Iceland, like four hours of sunlight a day in the summer). The lights were honey-gold and low. Snow was blowing around outside. It felt conspiratorial, my father, brother and I playing this weird game at a weird hour.

NAS Keflavik is long gone. I'm sure that cabinet's gone, too. Or maybe sitting in some Icelander's garage, mothballed.

Hotel Arcade Stories.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arcade cab chat:

Living in the NJ/PA area, a business named TNT Amusements always used to run half hour infomercials on local TV showing off all their sweet rear end arcade cabinets and how you could purchase them direct, or rent out the showroom for birthday parties and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhkMcEEm0c

If you have half an hour, it's pretty campy nowadays but still pretty cool. Imagine being a little kid and watching, wanting to own all the video games in sight. I believe they updated it every year or every other year to show off new games.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Harlock posted:

Arcade cab chat:

Living in the NJ/PA area, a business named TNT Amusements always used to run half hour infomercials on local TV showing off all their sweet rear end arcade cabinets and how you could purchase them direct, or rent out the showroom for birthday parties and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhkMcEEm0c

If you have half an hour, it's pretty campy nowadays but still pretty cool. Imagine being a little kid and watching, wanting to own all the video games in sight. I believe they updated it every year or every other year to show off new games.

I've never seen this before but it rules. It's pretty funny. Also all those PCBs sitting on the shelves :staredog:

Also was the part with the drag bags real? It looked like both those dudes were about to start cracking up. I also had no idea Moog built anything coin-op related.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Mace Bacon posted:

I found a flyer for the Mario pinball, I almost wish I just asked them if I could buy it off them

They had a Super Mario Brothers that looked similar to this at PAX but it was both broken and was actually a redemption game pinball machine that spat out tickets. It didn't have any tickets to spit out at PAX and since you couldn't hit several of the targets because the solenoids were dead, I played SFII:CE with some random people instead.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ACID POLICE posted:

It definitely wasn't The Grid but the machine setup looked pretty much the same. After watching some gameplay vids I think it might have just been WAR because I can't think of any other multicab FPSes that resembled Unreal Tournament or Q3A a lot.

You could link 4 WAR cabs together and organizing them into a semi-circle would have been a pretty common practice for arcade owners in order to achieve maximum viability for potential customers and reduce screen snooping for those playing.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm sitting here on my lunch break and enjoying the poo poo out of that video too. I jumped a few minutes in to see what it's like and the bearded guy (who I really like) was all "here's a game with a really cool gun, let's see how many people I can kill" jumped ahead again to see his big rear end warehouse and he's advertising "even bring in your broken games we'll trade for them too" super duper cool and I look forward to watching it all tonight.

Had to look again. He found 2 quarters in an arcade and was all "can buy a coke with this" hah.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If there's one game I'd like to get 4 of and daisy chain, it's this magnificent bastard:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

This reminds me of an awesome arcade I used to go to as a kid/teen whenever I went to Salem, MA to visit my stepdad's family. There's a seaside park in Salem called The Willows, and they had a fantastic arcade open during the summer. It had a ton of classic poo poo but also top-of-the-line modern games. They had a WAR multi-cab set up in semi-circle form, Time Crisis, the full-sized Harley Davidson & L.A. Riders game by Sega (which owned), a bunch of full-sized sit-down racing games, fighting games, etc. Haven't been there in probably about 15 years though.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I want to play R360 G-LOC or Wing War again.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Edit: Nevermind I'm blind

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

At indoor amusement parks/arcades back in the day, they had these pods that looked like Sega activators with visors and stuff and promised VIRTUAL REALITY. Does anyone remember using them or even what I'm talking about? I was always too poor to try them out, since I think they were like $10 a session.

Dream arcade definitely has to have a series of working Mechwarrior pods for multiplayer mayhem.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Antillese posted:

They had a Super Mario Brothers that looked similar to this at PAX but it was both broken and was actually a redemption game pinball machine that spat out tickets. It didn't have any tickets to spit out at PAX and since you couldn't hit several of the targets because the solenoids were dead, I played SFII:CE with some random people instead.

Yep, that's Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World that was mentioned briefly above.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Harlock posted:

At indoor amusement parks/arcades back in the day, they had these pods that looked like Sega activators with visors and stuff and promised VIRTUAL REALITY. Does anyone remember using them or even what I'm talking about? I was always too poor to try them out, since I think they were like $10 a session.

I think they had something similar in my area. The thing I'm thinking of was called a "virtual reality game" used a webcam to put your image onscreen, and you controlled the action by moving your body. There were a bunch of minigames like soccer and stuff. Kind of like Kinect's grandfather. The image never worked properly. It would always cut off the top of your head, and your legs. Maybe that's not you're talking about at all.

The driving range had another similar thing that was like $10 an hour and it had this helment that was mapped to keyboard controls, if you turned left, it registered a left turn on the keyboard, and had a little gun thing. You could play doom with your friends on it. They had Duke 3D too, but you couldn't jump.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 17, 2013

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Virtual Reality, like this sort of thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6t69mp0ZhE

I know that I did use a VR thing in Vegas back when that would have been going, something like 94 or 95? I can't remember a drat thing about it though. Would have been something along the lines of the game in that video though.

Basically VR sucked. It's nifty to have the surrounding visor but motion controls were poo poo at the time and the remote joystick wasn't great. Worst of all was that realtime 3D hardware just wasn't there at the time. The hardware version in that video apparently is a SU1000, which ran on an Amiga 3000. Its successor was a 486. Both of them used 2 custom cards to do the 3D, but even so the response time is poor and the framerate has dips you can see in that promo video.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Harlock posted:

Dream arcade definitely has to have a series of working Mechwarrior pods for multiplayer mayhem.

I was going to post and say that there was some arcade simulator they showed on the old (and bitchin) Discovery Channel show Beyond 2000 back in the day that looked absolutely amazing. It basically looked like Mechwarrior and they were talking about strategies of shooting out legs and such.

MUCH to my surprise I instantly found this on youtube by searching for "beyond 2000 arcade" damnit I love the freaking internet. I would love to have a fleet of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJA5C_Po4U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
So I vaguely remember someone posting an online store that sold single power supplies with three end points that could power an entire genesis unspeakable horror. I think it was last thread. Now that I've completed mine with the addition of a CD, does anyone have the link?

Edit: Also thanks on all of your help with the SegaCD backups. It's working like a charm :D

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 17, 2013

• Locked thread