Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
someone make it so "snowflake" is the only article that links to that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

jump up jump up jump up yeah
be advised everybody thumbs up yeah

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

adult and child iq scores arent comparable. unless this 162 is on the adult scale?

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Use of 10 Syrian pound coins in Norway[edit source | editbeta]

The shape of the 10 Syrian pound coin has been found to so resemble the 20 Norwegian krone coin that it can fool vending machines, coins-to-cash machines, arcade machines, and any other coin-operated, automated service machine in the country. While hardly similar to the naked eye, machines are unable to tell the coins apart due to an almost identical weight and size.
As of February 20, 2013, ten Syrian pounds converts to 0.7865 Norwegian kroner. 20 NOK is almost 25.43 times the value of the Syrian coin. While not easy to find in Norway, the Syrian coins are still used in automated machines there with such frequency that Posten Norge, the Norwegian postal service, decided to close many of their coins-to-cash machines on February 18, 2006, with plans to develop a system able to differentiate between the two coins. In the summer of 2005, a Norwegian man was sentenced to 30 days, suspended, for having used Syrian coins in arcade machines in the municipality of Bærum.[4]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Install Windows posted:

Cerys Cooksammy-Parnell
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Wiki letter w.svg
This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; suggestions may be available. (August 2013)

Cerys Cooksammy-Parnell, a British girl, received a score of 162 (the maximum) on the Cattell B scale in a Mensa IQ test in July 2013 at the age of eleven, a feat which brought her international notice.[1][2][3][4] This makes her IQ higher than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.[5] Her score of 162 is also the top score in Britain (as of when she received it).[6] Cerys sat the Mensa test to try and beat her dad who has been a member of Mensa for 10 years with an IQ score of 142. She hopes to someday become Prime Minister or governor of the Bank of England.[7]
References

Jump up ^ http://www.nigeriaintel.com/2013/08/08/schoolgirl-has-higher-iq-than-albert-einstein/
Jump up ^ http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/united-kingdom/130807/cerys-cooksammy-parnell-11-year-old-british-girl-
Jump up ^ http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/08/09/smarter-than-einstein-could-11-year-old-become-first-boe-chief/
Jump up ^ http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/northampton-11-year-old-achieves-top-mensa-intelligence-score-1-5363884
Jump up ^ http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/08/cerys-cooksammy-parnell-higher-iq-einstein-mensa_n_3724189.html
Jump up ^ http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/united-kingdom/130807/cerys-cooksammy-parnell-11-year-old-british-girl-
Jump up ^ http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2013/aug/08/eleven-year-old-schoolgirl-iq-einstein-video

Stub icon This British biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
Categories:

Giftedness
Living people
British children
British people stubs

let me know when she accomplishes something impressive :rolleye:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
Byrd is the longest-running bailiff in courtroom programming history.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Harvester contains various scenes of violence and gore; implied sexual intercourse, masturbation and S&M; murder; suicide; child abuse; profanity; cannibalism; prostitution; pedophilia; molestation, arson, theft, serial killing; geronticide, vandalism, sexually transmitted diseases; and stereotypes of homosexuals, Native Americans, Italians, and others. This caused controversy when the game was first announced, as early as 1994 at that year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES). At the time, several television news programs like CBS Evening News and NBC Nightly News included the (supposedly upcoming) new game in stories focusing on the link between video games and violence, as well as the need for a more established rating system.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Harvester contains various scenes of violence and gore; implied sexual intercourse, masturbation and S&M; murder; suicide; child abuse; profanity; cannibalism; prostitution; pedophilia; molestation, arson, theft, serial killing; geronticide, vandalism, sexually transmitted diseases; and stereotypes of homosexuals, Native Americans, Italians, and others.

yep, sounds like every harvester I've ever eaten at.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_%28music%29

brief chronological summary

1948: bill monroe records "bluegrass breakdown"
1949: flatt and scruggs record "foggy mountain breakdown"
early 1970s: disco mixer tom moulton invents the notion of a breakdown, names it, and uses a time machine to send it back

thanks wikipedia

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
the reminds me that i need to get my folkstep album off the ground

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

Harvester contains various scenes of violence and gore; implied sexual intercourse, masturbation and S&M; murder; suicide; child abuse; profanity; cannibalism; prostitution; pedophilia; molestation, arson, theft, serial killing; geronticide, vandalism, sexually transmitted diseases; and stereotypes of homosexuals, Native Americans, Italians, and others. This caused controversy when the game was first announced, as early as 1994 at that year's Consumer Electronics Show (CES). At the time, several television news programs like CBS Evening News and NBC Nightly News included the (supposedly upcoming) new game in stories focusing on the link between video games and violence, as well as the need for a more established rating system.

i see youre enjoying the new "retsu prae". what do you think?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

i see youre enjoying the new "retsu prae". what do you think?

you always were a kidder Suspicious Dish

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
aw shucks

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
He is known for writing to Stalin in April 1942 and pointing out the conspicuous silence within the field of nuclear fission in the United States, Great Britain, and Germany[2] (a real-life example of the curious incident of the dog in the night-time from the Sherlock Holmes story Silver Blaze).

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
On July 6, 2010, Blizzard announced that they were changing the way their forums worked to require that users identify themselves with their real name.[47][48] The reaction from the community was overwhelmingly negative with multiple game magazines calling the change "foolhardy"[49] and an "Epic Fail".[50]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

From today's featured article

"Once More, with Feeling" is the only episode of the fantasy television show Buffy the Vampire Slayer performed as a musical. It was written and directed by the show's creator, Joss Whedon (pictured), and first aired in the United States on November 6, 2001. The episode explores changes in the relationships of the main characters, using the plot device that a demon compels the people of Sunnydale to break into song at random moments to express hidden truths. All cast members sang their parts, although two were given minimal lines by request. It is the most technically complex episode in the series, as extra voice and dance training for the cast was interspersed with the production of four other Buffy episodes. It was Whedon's first attempt at writing music, and different styles—from 1950s sitcom theme music to rock opera—are used to express the characters' secrets. The episode was well received critically upon airing, specifically for containing the humor and wit to which fans had become accustomed. It is considered one of the most effective and popular episodes of the series, and—prior to a financial dispute in 2007—was shown in theaters with the audience invited to sing along. (Full article...)

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

why do people like joss whedon?

everything he's ever touched has been terrible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
cute skinny girls punching and sassing people

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Carthag posted:

It was written and directed by the show's creator, Joss Whedon (pictured)

lol why would i ever want to see a tv writer

stay in the loving background nerd

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

heh avengers was decent

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sweevo posted:

because they're terrible

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Install Windows posted:

because they're terrible

in college some people on the computer interest floor couldn't stop raving about firefly, and when i told them it was campy sci-fi with shallow and uninteresting characters, they were apoplectic. p funny seeing fedora-slinging nerdlingers get mad about tv.

i'm glad I elected not to live on that floor.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sweevo posted:

because most sci-fi writing is so lovely and misogynistic that joss whedon looks like a socially progressive auteur in comparison

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

B-smooth posted:

in college some people on the computer interest floor couldn't stop raving about firefly, and when i told them it was campy sci-fi with shallow and uninteresting characters, they were apoplectic. p funny seeing fedora-slinging nerdlingers get mad about tv.

i'm glad I elected not to live on that floor.

Same.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

College was so bad rear end.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

firefly is a decent show, there's no really imaginative scifi on right now

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

heh avengers was decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s3PhENDoGE&t=15s

yep thats a whedon script all right

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

firefly is remembered fondly cause it only lasted 1 season. if u watch the movies its p obvious the show wasn't going anywhere but magic pixie crazy girl 100% of the time

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

B-smooth posted:

it was campy sci-fi with shallow and uninteresting characters

so you never watched it, got it

the show is ok but the fans are terrible

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

so you never watched it, got it

i watched the whole season to see what the fuss was all about and it was dumb

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

B-smooth posted:

i watched the whole season to see what the fuss was all about and it was dumb

have you seen scifi

its kind of a dumb genre

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

have you seen scifi

its kind of a dumb genre

i grew up reading dune and asimov's short stories, but yeah on the whole the genre is p terrible.

*consumes some spice* i can see the future... the future of my posting... it's poo poo.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
shaggar is the god emperor of yospos. he will suppress the use of all languages except java and c# for over 4000 years and repeatedly kill and resurrect his most trusted advisor, tbc

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
brb, writing my dune-yospos crossover fanfic

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

fans ruin everything

that loving hat is worst than fedoras

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
always remind firefly fans of adam baldwin's politics

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i read somewhere that the lady with the gigantic bosoms who's on "mad men" was on "firefly" as well, so maybe it's a good show. i haven't seen it to know, though :shrug:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah she's in it and plays a v good female character in 2 eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The studio had suggested O. J. Simpson for the role of the Terminator, but Cameron did not feel that Simpson would be believable as a killer.