Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
After driving a rental Altima for weeks, returning to the Focus was nice. the recaros have to be the nicest seats available on a production car for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Hey dudes! You're forgetting Volvo has a pretty hot hatch~ The C30 T5 is a 230hp inline 5cyl FWD turbo and it oozes excellence!

Here's mine http://i.imgur.com/Lu6LeBb.jpg :smug: pretty hot right?

Disregard license plate and sleeping baby.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I like the C30 T5 and its interior but isn't the handling kind of poor in comparison to the Focus?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The C30 is the old Focus platform, IIRC.

akarin posted:

Hey dudes! You're forgetting Volvo has a pretty hot hatch~ The C30 T5 is a 230hp inline 5cyl FWD turbo and it oozes excellence!

Here's mine http://i.imgur.com/Lu6LeBb.jpg :smug: pretty hot right?

Disregard license plate and sleeping baby.

Are you a vampire!?!

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Phone posted:

The C30 is the old Focus platform, IIRC.

Are you a vampire!?!

The Ford C1 platform? I think so.

What?

8ender posted:

I like the C30 T5 and its interior but isn't the handling kind of poor in comparison to the Focus?

I'd bet the handling is probably similar

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

akarin posted:

Same platform as the MS3 too

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm finally going to test drive a 13 Sonic turbo 6MT this week. I'm hoping to pick it up in the next few weeks if it's as good as I'm hoping.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

akarin posted:

What?

I'd bet the handling is probably similar

It's a teenage vampire book movie joke.

The handling is probably different since Ford has new magic front knuckles and probably an update to their blade rear end.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Phone posted:

It's a teenage vampire book movie joke.

The handling is probably different since Ford has new magic front knuckles and probably an update to their blade rear end.

Oh, ha-ha. Edward drives an ~S60R~ :colbert:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh yeah, you're completely right.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

Oh yeah, you're completely right.

I think you're only hurting yourself at this point :*

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I knew he drove a Volvo :smug:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder if that hurt or helped C30 sales.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It looks like Volvo tried to capitalize on it, but I think a $30k USD hot hatch is a bit of a stretch from a 10 dollar book and another 10 dollar movie ticket:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That C30 back end is a real love it or hate it look. The lack of a 4-door option doesn't help, either.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

That C30 back end is a real love it or hate it look. The lack of a 4-door option doesn't help, either.

Honestly, I fell in love with the C30 the first time I saw that glass. Dealing with the local Volvo dealership is what turned me off the car.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
And the loaded version is like $35k? Huh?

Has volvo done anything with their interiors in the last 5 years? I had a friend who bought an 08 S40 T5 and it looked like a library or maybe a Midwestern DMV building inside.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Stew Man Chew posted:

And the loaded version is like $35k? Huh?

Has volvo done anything with their interiors in the last 5 years? I had a friend who bought an 08 S40 T5 and it looked like a library or maybe a Midwestern DMV building inside.

Yeah, why wouldn't you just buy something a lot better for 35k is my question

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

poo poo.. I had no idea :negative:

well, I feel fancy now~

Tactical Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 18, 2013

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Buddy of mine just traded one of those in on a Veloster like two months ago.

He likes the Hyundai better. He said the Volvo rode a bit plusher but the power is night and day.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

wallaka posted:

Buddy of mine just traded one of those in on a Veloster like two months ago.

He likes the Hyundai better. He said the Volvo rode a bit plusher but the power is night and day.

yeah the Volvo has power, but it's just too smooth to have any fun with. the torqueband is pretty sharp in low rpm, but plateaus quickly and stays there until a steady drop-off around 5k. doesn't really help that I have it in an automatic transmission either.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Honestly, I fell in love with the C30 the first time I saw that glass. Dealing with the local Volvo dealership is what turned me off the car.

I love the glass hatch - it feels amazing too.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

akarin posted:

poo poo.. I had no idea :negative:

well, I feel fancy now~

I didn't mean to poo poo on you or anything man, just looking at reviews and such. I love modern volvo styling and I remember literally doing a doubletake with my buddy when we saw the early C30s at the dealer.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Stew Man Chew posted:

I didn't mean to poo poo on you or anything man, just looking at reviews and such. I love modern volvo styling and I remember literally doing a doubletake with my buddy when we saw the early C30s at the dealer.

My bad, I should have quoted the dude who told me that the C30 was the car in Twilight.

that is why I feel fancy. :gay:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AI posted:

C30 styling

I love the front of the C30, I love love love the P1800 estate; I really don't care for the back of the C30. Too bubbly for my taste, especially the panels under the light columns. It feels way too round compared to the tautness seen in the front and side of the car.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.
I'm pretty happy that Volvo seemingly wants to pay more attention to the performance crowd. The Volvo Concept Coupe is the more recent bone they've tossed us, but all the Polestar performance concepts and packages from the past two years has me really excited for what they might release very, very soon. After Saab's demise, I really want to see this bastion of Scandinavian design remain successful - Volvo V40 Polestar with AWD and 280hp? gently caress Yes :sweden:

Even if it doesn't have me considering trading in my Golf R (I'm probably too much of a VW fanboy at this point to look at anything but the Mk7 R) I'll be happy just to see more uber-hatches on the road to wave at.

Oh and VW people, if you've gotten tired of VW's typical squishy shift linkages, a Dieselgeek Sigma Six short shifter removes a lot of the slop, but if you want the rest of it gone (particularly in gears 4-5-6), also consider some TyrolSport solid shifter cable bracket bushings: http://www.tyrolsport.com/engine/transmission/tyrolsport-solid-shifter-bracket-bushing-ssbb/ Apparently I'm the sort of person that gated shifters were meant for :stare:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

akarin posted:

yeah the Volvo has power, but it's just too smooth to have any fun with. the torqueband is pretty sharp in low rpm, but plateaus quickly and stays there until a steady drop-off around 5k. doesn't really help that I have it in an automatic transmission either.

I love the glass hatch - it feels amazing too.

Just looking at it, it seems like there is a lot of wasted space on the hatch. How wide is the actual opening?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
TopGear magazine included the Ford Fiesta ST in it's "Speed week"

TopGear Magazine posted:

Ford Fiesta ST: 2:25.7
Slowest, but never felt slow. Better body control than any of the four cars directly above.

It was the slowest, but look what it they lumped it in with:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/The-hot-laps-2013-08-29

Also, they released some cool wallpapers

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/wallpapers-top-gears-speed-week-2013-09-12

Including this one, which is now my desktop wallpaper.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

veedubfreak posted:

Just looking at it, it seems like there is a lot of wasted space on the hatch. How wide is the actual opening?

The rear glass. Great concept and it looks good, but the execution misses the purpose of having a hatchback.

You know how people are like "I put a baby grand in my Honda Fit!"? It's the polar opposite with the C30, more like "I went to the grocery store and had 3 bags worth of groceries and they all fit in the hatch! I didn't have to put one bag in the passenger seat!"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phone posted:

The rear glass. Great concept and it looks good, but the execution misses the purpose of having a hatchback.

You know how people are like "I put a baby grand in my Honda Fit!"? It's the polar opposite with the C30, more like "I went to the grocery store and had 3 bags worth of groceries and they all fit in the hatch! I didn't have to put one bag in the passenger seat!"

That's what I thought. So far the biggest thing I've managed to wedge in mine is a hood for my bug.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Well the rear seats fold down and the largest thing I've fit into it was a bicycle. My primary vehicle is a motorcycle, so not having a lot of storage space is normal to me. The car has plenty of space for me, but objectively I can understand how it might be cramped for others.

edit: also I have this in the trunk, and it takes up a bit of room. http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Basslink-200-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B000063TJY/

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

akarin posted:

Well the rear seats fold down and the largest thing I've fit into it was a bicycle. My primary vehicle is a motorcycle, so not having a lot of storage space is normal to me. The car has plenty of space for me, but objectively I can understand how it might be cramped for others.

edit: also I have this in the trunk, and it takes up a bit of room. http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Basslink-200-Watt-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B000063TJY/

Part of the deal I made with the dealership when I bought my car was to have the custom stereo removed from my old car and put in the new car. This also included a custom made encloser that goes behind the wheelwell. I like having a sub -and- trunk space :)

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Part of the deal I made with the dealership when I bought my car was to have the custom stereo removed from my old car and put in the new car. This also included a custom made encloser that goes behind the wheelwell. I like having a sub -and- trunk space :)

Yeah the little powered sub enclosure doesn't take much room, and the sound it produces is more than sufficient for the small cabin of the C30. drat I love hatchbacks!!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

echobucket posted:

TopGear magazine included the Ford Fiesta ST in it's "Speed week"

It was the slowest, but look what it they lumped it in with:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/The-hot-laps-2013-08-29

Also, they released some cool wallpapers

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/wallpapers-top-gears-speed-week-2013-09-12

Including this one, which is now my desktop wallpaper.

I can never get TG's photos to work properly in any browser I use. It is bloody annoying since they have a ton of great wallpapers :(

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Found this old photo of my Peugeot 306 GTi6. That was a fun car, and superior to the contemporary Golf Gti in every way. I miss it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Found this old photo of my Peugeot 306 GTi6. That was a fun car, and superior to the contemporary Golf Gti in every way. I miss it.

The Pug 306 / Citroen ZX was a great chassis. My ZX Volcane TD...

One of the early Diesel "hot" hatches... which were at the time a hot hatch chassis with a good enough, but hardly hot Diesel engines from less sporting models. A whole 90hp, and 0-60 in just over 10 seconds. Mine had 215,000 on the clock, and had cooking model suspension on the back from the other TD behind, whose engine died. All ZX's and 306's had fancy rear suspension with passive rear steering, but as they get older the rear wheels start cambering in and rub on the insides, hence the swap.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My problem was how the trailing arm bearings disintegrated and destroyed the rear axle tube. Happened to both my 405s and happened to the 306.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Yeah that was the problem with the Volcane, swapping in a whole rear axle unit wasn't too bad, done it by myself in a few evenings on the drive using four old scissor jacks to ease it into place. Bleeding the brakes was the biggest pain. I loving hate bleeding brakes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not quite "hot" per se, but I really like it.

1.4L turbo, 6 speed manual. :allears: All it needs is some tires that are a little less squirmy, tint, blacked out badges, and maybe some wheels that look a bit better. Too bad the bolt pattern is pretty unique to the Cruze, Sonic, and a few Opels (5x105) so there are few wheel choices. I'm thinking either Enkei RSF5 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/360732286723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) or Niche (?) NR6's since they look like a heavier RPF1 knock off. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/110817792867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649). Thoughts?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Larrymer posted:

Not quite "hot" per se, but I really like it.

1.4L turbo, 6 speed manual. :allears: All it needs is some tires that are a little less squirmy, tint, blacked out badges, and maybe some wheels that look a bit better. Too bad the bolt pattern is pretty unique to the Cruze, Sonic, and a few Opels (5x105) so there are few wheel choices. I'm thinking either Enkei RSF5 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/360732286723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) or Niche (?) NR6's since they look like a heavier RPF1 knock off. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/110817792867?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649). Thoughts?
I liked the one I drove a while back. I think the 17" factory wheels look nice and I bet you could find a set for pretty cheap.

edit: I mean this style: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-17-inch-2012-CHEVROLET-SONIC-FACTORY-OEM-WHEEL-RIM-SILVER-5526-LTZ-/251298682257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wow, that particular set is local, even. I'd keep the stockers for winter driving and buy this other set for summer tires. The thing that sucks is the TPMS are $200, just so I can make the stupid dash light go away. :argh: