Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Evilreaver posted:

I need a highly mentally stimulating game, where progress is made by problem solving. I do not want an overt puzzle game like Spacechem, but something more like XCOM:EU where you have to be making decisions the whole time. Genre is not really important, except no puzzle/civilization games. Kerbal, FTL, Binding of Isaac, Dwarf Fort, the Batman Arkham games, and Papers Please all fit this category. The ability to brute force a solution from time to time is a huge plus.

E: :steam:
Legend of Grimrock.

It's a recent, retro style, grid-based dungeon crawler RPG. The combat isn't all that tactical, but there are lots of really good and clever puzzles in it.

And since you mentioned the Batham Arkham games, maybe Dishonored? That one kinda does make you think a lot about your actions and movements if you're going for a stealthier approach, but you usually do still have the option to just go "gently caress it" and straighforwardly murder everything.

And for something completely different, Frozen Synapse. It's a turn-based tactics game, not the usual turn-based like XCOM but with simultaneous turns. You plan out your squad's moves for the next few seconds according to what you see and then hit go and see what happens. It's very deterministic, and one shot always kills, so you might say it's a squad tactics game with some chess thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Project1 posted:

This might be a little too specific, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm looking for a "exploring a lost civilisation" type of game, where the civilisation was lost due to tragedy some time ago. Bioshock and System Shock 2 has the events happen too recently and there are too many immediate things going on, and Fallout 3 has some areas that were good for this, but has too many people around to talk to. If you know what Noctis is, that would be perfect, except that there really wasn't any immersion.

I want to feel like I'm all alone, looking for traces of my lost forebears, without any hope but doing it anyway out of sheer desperation.
Gone Home, sort of?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nordick posted:

Legend of Grimrock.

It's a recent, retro style, grid-based dungeon crawler RPG. The combat isn't all that tactical, but there are lots of really good and clever puzzles in it.

And since you mentioned the Batham Arkham games, maybe Dishonored? That one kinda does make you think a lot about your actions and movements if you're going for a stealthier approach, but you usually do still have the option to just go "gently caress it" and straighforwardly murder everything.

And for something completely different, Frozen Synapse. It's a turn-based tactics game, not the usual turn-based like XCOM but with simultaneous turns. You plan out your squad's moves for the next few seconds according to what you see and then hit go and see what happens. It's very deterministic, and one shot always kills, so you might say it's a squad tactics game with some chess thrown in.

Dishonored and Frozen Synapse are both fantastic, I'll give Grimrock a go :)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Project1 posted:

I'm looking for a "exploring a lost civilisation" type of game, where the civilisation was lost due to tragedy some time ago. Bioshock and System Shock 2 has the events happen too recently and there are too many immediate things going on, and Fallout 3 has some areas that were good for this, but has too many people around to talk to. If you know what Noctis is, that would be perfect, except that there really wasn't any immersion.

I want to feel like I'm all alone, looking for traces of my lost forebears, without any hope but doing it anyway out of sheer desperation.
The Penumbra games are kinda like that, though they are horror. Actually, I think they fit perfectly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Project1 posted:

Azrael's Tear, a little-known sci-fi first-person adventure. Lots of unravelling of ancient mysteries and conspiracies, a real hidden gem.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

Dishonored and Frozen Synapse are both fantastic, I'll give Grimrock a go :)

A word of warning about Grimrock; despite what it might seem like, combat is NOT about standing still and exchanging blows with the enemies while your front line characters soak up the damage. Mobility is vital.

Unrelated, what are some games with good destructible environments? I'm thinking something along the lines of Red Faction: Guerilla or X-Com, where you can break down walls or collapse buildings as part of the strategy, rather than just making lots of stuff blow up like Just Cause 2 (which is also a great game, but not what I'm looking for at the moment). Genre doesn't matter, but I'm partial to tactical or strategy games.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

A word of warning about Grimrock; despite what it might seem like, combat is NOT about standing still and exchanging blows with the enemies while your front line characters soak up the damage. Mobility is vital.

Unrelated, what are some games with good destructible environments? I'm thinking something along the lines of Red Faction: Guerilla or X-Com, where you can break down walls or collapse buildings as part of the strategy, rather than just making lots of stuff blow up like Just Cause 2 (which is also a great game, but not what I'm looking for at the moment). Genre doesn't matter, but I'm partial to tactical or strategy games.

Red Faction: Armageddon was actually pretty good at using environment destruction as a gameplay mechanic. If you can get past the linearity and generic alien enemies, you might enjoy it.

World in Conflict was decent at employing the idea of limited environment destruction to add a tactical element to gameplay. Just don't expect to be able to enjoy the game's main attraction, multiplayer, at this point.

Battlefield 4 might actually be the first Battlefield game that uses destructible environments to significantly alter gameplay, so you may want to check that out.

Frozen Synapse is similar to XCOM: Enemy Unknown in this regard. In other words, you can use explosive weapons to destroy cover. And I assume you've played the Worms series of games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Jagged Alliance 2 has this and plays a lot like X-Com.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Project1 posted:

I'm looking for a "exploring a lost civilisation" type of game, where the civilisation was lost due to tragedy some time ago.

Probably won't be quite enough, but, Miasmata has you alone on an island exploring huts to find scraps of notes talking about the progression of the plague. The story isn't really huge though.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Project1 posted:

Myst and Riven might sort of fit this bill. Found on Gog.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Might be a bit of an obvious thing, but have you played Silent Storm? It's a squad tactics game, one of the best ones ever really, and it has pretty much destructible everything except actual terrain. Even sustained fire from machine guns will blow holes into walls. In one mission, my VERY FIRST shot missed the intended target just so, hit some gas tank or somthing and started a chain reaction that pretty much leveled half of a very large building. poo poo owns.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Man, after I played Red Faction: Guerrilla I thought games were going to be changed forever. Why the gently caress hasn't anybody taken off with that tech?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man, after I played Red Faction: Guerrilla I thought games were going to be changed forever. Why the gently caress hasn't anybody taken off with that tech?

One of my greatest laments is that Havok and Geomod both came out within a year of each other, and only one is included in every game ever.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So with the recent release of GTA V I figure it's probably a good a time as any to try and get into the series. Where should I start, assuming graphical fidelity is a non-issue?

Worth noting is that I already own all the ones on Steam (:shepspends:) and Liberty City Stories that just went free on PS+, so one of those would be ideal, as if there's much left. :v:

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

San Andreas, Vice City, and the GTA IV spin-offs (The Lost and Damned & The Ballad of Gay Tony) are arguably the best games in the series. Although you should probably play GTA IV proper before you play the spin-offs.

With that said, the GTA games are pretty much self-contained. The only significant setting element shared between the titles are the cities. So why not start with GTA V?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I suggest Vice City. It has some features that GTA 3 was missing, like shooting people in cars and motorcycles, and it's not too terribly long. It's fun as hell too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I suggest Vice City. It has some features that GTA 3 was missing, like shooting people in cars and motorcycles, and it's not too terribly long. It's fun as hell too.

Just be aware there's two missions in Vice City that'll make you invent new swearwords. The kind that tarnishes nearby metal objects and damns the souls of the innocent.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just be aware there's two missions in Vice City that'll make you invent new swearwords. The kind that tarnishes nearby metal objects and damns the souls of the innocent.

The RC Plane mission and.. hm, dunno the second one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

The RC Plane mission and.. hm, dunno the second one.

The race against the getaway driver.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The race against the getaway driver.

Uuuuurgh. Yep. Okay, that one.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully this is in the spirit of the thread, but is System Shock 2 worth getting if I've never played it? I know it gets a lot of praise, but it seems like most of it comes from people who grew up playing it and I'm not sure if the inevitable 90's FPSRPG... quirks... are forgotten because of that or not.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blast of Confetti posted:

Hopefully this is in the spirit of the thread, but is System Shock 2 worth getting if I've never played it? I know it gets a lot of praise, but it seems like most of it comes from people who grew up playing it and I'm not sure if the inevitable 90's FPSRPG... quirks... are forgotten because of that or not.

The graphics are definitely dated, but turn off the lights and put on some headphones and it's still amazing. The sound design really carries the game.
The game works fine with normal keyboard/mouse input, if that's what you were wondering.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Some mods might help as far as the graphics. The user interface and gameplay are quite good, so I think it has aged pretty well.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was more worried about the skill point system since these games didn't do them so well in my opinion. I think I'll give it a shot though. I forgot that some of the high praise for the game was the sound direction, which I have a huge boner for since getting some good headphones. :v:

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I'm looking for a game, preferably action oriented, with actual voice tracks. I've been watching Chip and Ironicus' LP of Metal Gear Rising, and the combination of high-speed chopping and vocal tracks is something I wanna try by myself.

Some games I've played that fit what I'm looking for are Anarchy Reigns and Madworld (both games also made by Platinum Games)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

I was more worried about the skill point system since these games didn't do them so well in my opinion. I think I'll give it a shot though. I forgot that some of the high praise for the game was the sound direction, which I have a huge boner for since getting some good headphones. :v:

It's been a while since I played it, but the skill system definitely has a few quirks in that some skills are utterly useless (and the psi skills (and character) in particular, IIRC) while some others are pretty much mandatory to take. I believe there should be an SS2 thread around here somewhere, otherwise make sure to look up what to watch out for in a wiki or possibly the "What should I know before I play this game for the first time" thread here in Games.

Other than that it's a really good experience and if you can get into the setting and enjoy FPS RPGs, you should definitely check it out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

V!ntar posted:

I'm looking for a game, preferably action oriented, with actual voice tracks. I've been watching Chip and Ironicus' LP of Metal Gear Rising, and the combination of high-speed chopping and vocal tracks is something I wanna try by myself.

Some games I've played that fit what I'm looking for are Anarchy Reigns and Madworld (both games also made by Platinum Games)

Give Bayonetta a try (NOT the PS3 version, unless they fixed a very known bug regarding load times), or God Hand if you have a PS2/PS3 (it's on PSN as a PS2 classic). There's also Vanquish if you want one of the most over-the-top 3rd-person action shooters ever made.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Bayonetta a try (NOT the PS3 version, unless they fixed a very known bug regarding load times)

They patched it to allow for installs, which fixes the load times. Still not a good port, the FPS drops pretty hard at times, but better than it was.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

FFXVI's fishing has me wanting some kind of stupid fishing game to play.

Steam has sega bass fishing for dreamcast and thats about it. Something where i can mindlessly drive a boat around to find fishing spots would be cool also, im guessing this doesn't exist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

madpanda posted:

What's it like in the future? Did FFXV's mafia-esque style work? Did we finally get an outright great single-player Final Fantasy for the first time in a decade? :gbsmith:

madpanda posted:

Steam has sega bass fishing for dreamcast and thats about it. Something where i can mindlessly drive a boat around to find fishing spots would be cool also, im guessing this doesn't exist.

Some of the Legend of Zeldas had fun fishing minigames. In Twilight Princess on the Wii/Gamecube you can take a canoe out on to a small lake to do some fly fishing, or use a more basic rod for some shallow fishing in any body of water you come across.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

V!ntar posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but what do you mean by actual voice tracks?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question but what do you mean by actual voice tracks?

A soundtrack that includes vocal songs.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'd honestly recommend all the 3D GTAs to played in order of release. GTA3 is old now but it's still a really good game. It looks nice on PC with a widescreen mod, draw distance increase with an .ini tweak, reflections mod, Xbox textures and AA/AF forced on and while the gameplay is a bit basic, it's a small city with simple gameplay, no relationships, no properties, no gyms and that simplicity is refreshing in a way. Start there and if you really can't get into it, move onto Vice City.

It's a big ask time-wise but I think the series is worth it, all great games.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GTA IV is dull. It has a good combat and driving system that's fun for a bit, but the word you're looking for is "repetitive." Every mission is basically "go here and shoot some people" and the whole map is a grey, gritty New York/New Jersey place.

GTA San Andreas, despite looking and playing much older and clunkier, is 1,000 times more creative as a game. It's spread across all this desert and countryside with three different cities (LA, Vegas and San Fran) and actually has imagination and variety in its missions. At the equivalent point where in GTA IV you would be shooting up yet another abandoned warehouse full of criminal thugs, in San Andreas you're riding a motorcycle up the back of a plane that's taking off, killing a bunch of guys on the plane, planting a bomb and then parachuting out before it explodes.

tl;dr: GTA IV gets is repetitive and gets boring fast, San Andreas is like living somebody else's gloriously crazy life and is probably the best game ever made.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Yeah, I've played through all (3D) GTA games entirely, except for GTA IV which just never really clicked for me.
I always got kind of bored with it half-way through, put it aside for a while to play something else, and never managed to get back to where I left.

I never really liked the main characters in IV, whereas San Andreas has a really awesome and funny set of characters. It also seems a lot more lighthearted, which probably helps a lot. San Andreas is probably my personal high point of the series, though I haven't touched GTA V yet.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

It's been a while since I played it, but the skill system definitely has a few quirks in that some skills are utterly useless (and the psi skills (and character) in particular, IIRC) while some others are pretty much mandatory to take. I believe there should be an SS2 thread around here somewhere, otherwise make sure to look up what to watch out for in a wiki or possibly the "What should I know before I play this game for the first time" thread here in Games.

Other than that it's a really good experience and if you can get into the setting and enjoy FPS RPGs, you should definitely check it out.

Psi characters in SS2 rule. :colbert: (There are a handful of disciplines that are very not worth it though)

There are actually very few skills that are not worth it in SS2--Modify and Repair come to mind (since there are items that replace its function) but everything else is really useful depending on your build. Just don't spread yourself too thin across disciplines. As a general rule of thumb, psi characters are very weak in the beginning but destroy the endgame, and shooty/tech characters are the reverse, with an easier time in the early game and less flexibility in the end game. Both builds are tons of fun, and the playstyle is radically different with each, so it adds a lot of replayability.

ed: Oh, and Heavy Weapons kind of suck. Exotics are also rough unless you go full-melee build (in which case they're godly)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Genpei Turtle posted:

ed: Oh, and Heavy Weapons kind of suck. Exotics are also rough unless you go full-melee build (in which case they're godly)

When I was on my SS2 kick, I read a handful of guides- what amused me is that each one had a line like "once you get the ________ you can throw the rest of your weapons away", with the blank being a different weapon each time. Do what feels right!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

When I was on my SS2 kick, I read a handful of guides- what amused me is that each one had a line like "once you get the ________ you can throw the rest of your weapons away", with the blank being a different weapon each time. Do what feels right!

Pretty much this. Especially if you're playing on a lower difficulty level, there's really no bad way to build your character in SS2. Unless you try to learn everything I guess. It's one of those games that lends itself to min-maxiness and different playstyles though so people love to argue about it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

madpanda posted:

I am probably the only fishing game fan there is, and Sega Bass Fishing is pretty much the peak of the genre. If you don't mind the age second place would go to Bassin's Black Bass on SNES.

Yeah there pretty much isn't anything out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Are there any good wrestling games for Windows? I remember playing old WWF/WWE games on ps1 and N64 and had a lot of fun making characters, intros, and playing with friends. Does anything like that even get made anymore? I am aware of console versions, but I don't know of anything good on PC.