Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Welp, sorry for opening that can of worms. I was just trying to help out The March Hare who sounded a bit inexperienced. My first decently expensive headphone purchase was those T70s, and they sound so clinical and boring and I was trying to steer him away from that experience. Also redeyes nice job calling me out for exactly the opposite of what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Pudgygiant posted:

Welp, sorry for opening that can of worms. I was just trying to help out The March Hare who sounded a bit inexperienced. My first decently expensive headphone purchase was those T70s, and they sound so clinical and boring and I was trying to steer him away from that experience. Also redeyes nice job calling me out for exactly the opposite of what I meant.

The T70 aren't known to be the most pleasing headphone. From my understanding they have harsh treble and are overly detailed, which can make for an awful listening experience if you're not listening to all excellently mastered recordings.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

As I almost 100% use headphones on long haul plane flights I wanted some noise cancelling one so I picked up a set of Parrot ZIK at the airport. I may have a bit more disposable income than the average good so price was not a consideration but after comparing every other NC cordless sets in the shop they were hands down the best. Had them just over a week now and they are really growing on me, good sound, long battery life, excellent fit and very comfortable to wear considering the only complaint I have is that they are a bit heavy.

If you have the cash I'd recommend them, but I am not an audiophile so pinches of salt may be needed on sound quality other than my "it's excellent".

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I'm surprised no one mentions the Samson SR850 in here for the ~50 dollar budget. These things are amazing.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just got the 701s from FedEx, these things sound great to my novice ears :). Thank you all for the help and I'm sorry if I started some kind of fight!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Burt posted:

As I almost 100% use headphones on long haul plane flights I wanted some noise cancelling one so I picked up a set of Parrot ZIK at the airport. I may have a bit more disposable income than the average good so price was not a consideration but after comparing every other NC cordless sets in the shop they were hands down the best. Had them just over a week now and they are really growing on me, good sound, long battery life, excellent fit and very comfortable to wear considering the only complaint I have is that they are a bit heavy.

If you have the cash I'd recommend them, but I am not an audiophile so pinches of salt may be needed on sound quality other than my "it's excellent".

Better NC than Bose?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

z06ck posted:

I'm surprised no one mentions the Samson SR850 in here for the ~50 dollar budget. These things are amazing.

Most people save ~$10 and get the Superlux HD668b, though the Samson's are more comfy.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Lowness 72 posted:

Better NC than Bose?

Not quite but very close, but the feel, build and sound were for me a lot better.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I would like to invest in a decent pair of headphones but am finding it hard to narrow down the field. Perhaps you can help.

Budget - Preferably under 200 GBP but I would go up to 300 if I thought it was a good investment. However, these would be my first higher-quality headphones and I am not interested in splashing out just for the sake of it.

Source - MacBook, occasionally iPod/iPhone. Sometimes it might be nice to hook them up to the AV receiver in the living room, but the listening area is about 4 meters away from the receiver, so I don't know if there's a convenient solution for that.

Isolation Requirements - Not a priority.

Preferred Type of Headphone - Probably over-ear, since these would primarily be intended for home use. Also, I would like them to be as un-Beats as possible in terms of looks. Don't like big logos or fancy splashes of color. Based on some Amazon searching, the AKG K-550 is very much to my taste aesthetically.

Preferred Music - I listen to a fairly wide variety of music. For example, in the past couple of days I've listened to Gojira, LCD Soundsystem, Mogwai and Nouvelle Vague.

Left out tonal balance and past headphones since I really don't have much to contribute to either. My most expensive headphones before this were Sennheiser CX-300s, so there you go...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The Koss PortaPro's lifetime warranty really is the bee's knees, people!

I got my GF a pair a few years back. For the price, it's hard to beat the sound quality, and she hates in-ear phones so they were a good match. They just broke for the second time. (Cable problem, the right earpiece was silent unless you wiggle the cable.) That will happen to any headphone, in my experience, sooner or later. Last time, we had to send them in for repair, but they've simplified the process.

Just fill in a return form online, and they actually ship the spare parts, free of charge (not even charging postage). Took about a week to arrive, which is pretty great. The spare part was a pair of new earphones, including cables. They snap off easily from the headband, so no tools were needed to replace them.
I wonder how they can afford to keep this up - most PortaPro owners must not know about this policy, or something.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. I have two questions:

1. ADAPTER
These are the (very decent) IEMs I currently own:
http://www.westone.com/music/index.php/products/personal-listening/westone-3.html
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Three-Driver-Universal-Earphone-Black/dp/B001MBLBXQ

The problem is - I've been listening to music on my iPhone for a while and I really miss a microphone/remote combo. Could you please recommend some kind of "adapter"?
Edit: Does anybody have experience using FiiO E02i Rocky amp/mic/remote?
http://www.amazon.com/E02i-Rocky-Headphone-Amplifier-iPhone/dp/B0091CWYQ6/ref=zg_bs_13880161_15

2. NEW PAIR
My wife is looking for either IEMs or headphones, which include the mic/remote combo. Could you please recommend something that's not huge? Here's something she saw in an Apple store and liked:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P3/explore.html
http://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-P3-Headphones-Black/dp/B008F440HC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379278373

Thank you.

Unexpected fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 15, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How'd they verify ownership? I'm sure I never sent in a warranty card.

(re: portapros)

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Welp I just ordered the Schiit Magni/Modi, will do trip report upon arrival.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Budget - ~$100, less is better.

Source - Will alternate between a Yamaha receiver and an iPhone

Isolation Requirements - Not the most important thing in the world, but I'd still like to listen to music without bugging others around me or being bugged

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, preferably super-aural

Preferred Tonal Balance - The last page has shown me that I can't answer this question.

Past Headphones - Grado 60i, lovely earbudz

Preferred Music - Hip hop, rock, jazz, funk, electronic.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica M line, the M30 seems like it would be perfect but for the 63ohm impedance- I doubt my iPhone puts out enough power for that. The M50 looks perfect but out of my price range.
The Grado sr60s I have sound great, but I have some complaints. They're not very comfortable, they're not very durable, they don't have enough bass for hip hop or electronic, and the sound is a bit harsh and kind of exhausting to listen to (if that makes any sense).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Can you bump your budget to Brainwavz HM5 status? The M30 sound like junk from my quick experiences.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I could pretty easily, and those actually look pretty nice. Im a little concerned about the 60ohm impedance on that set.
Also, I'd really like to spend under a hundred bucks since I think I'll be using these fairly infrequently. Are the m40's any good? How about the Creative Live!s?

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 16, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Creative Aurvana are excellent! But they don't have excellent isolation.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hi, I'm looking to buy a pair of comfortable headphones that I can use for gaming, that are also comparable with my iPhone. Are there any headphones with removable microphones so people can't see my nerdiness?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I would go venture over to Head-Fi but I figure here is just as good: I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s and FiiO E10 DAC/Amp. Is it really worth me upgrading to something like the Schiit DAC/Amp Set ($200) or a new pair of headphones?

It looks like the D2000s were discontinued but people are buying them for a hefty price, more than I even paid for them. I love my D2000s but I figured I'd weigh my options and try something new. The first set of cans that have caught my eye are the HifiMAN HE-400. Would it be worth it? I listen to a ton of different genres - Indie Rock, Electronic, Hip Hop, and Pop. I love the bass heavy aspect of the D2000s.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Midorka posted:

Creative Aurvana are excellent! But they don't have excellent isolation.

What do you mean by not excellent? I'll probably doing most of my listening at home, possibly in the same room with someone watching tv. It's not unlikely that they'll do a bit of traveling with me too.
I think I can stretch my budget a bit, with the absolute limit being like $110 assuming I can get a great sounding pair of cans that are durable and comfortable. Those brainwavs look excellent other than the high impedance. I don't have any interest in picking up a dedicated headphone amp.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
60 ohms isn't that much, you'll have no problems driving them with an ipod. It's the 250ohm+ stuff that really requires a headphone amp.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I would go venture over to Head-Fi but I figure here is just as good: I currently have a pair of Denon D2000s and FiiO E10 DAC/Amp. Is it really worth me upgrading to something like the Schiit DAC/Amp Set ($200) or a new pair of headphones?

It looks like the D2000s were discontinued but people are buying them for a hefty price, more than I even paid for them. I love my D2000s but I figured I'd weigh my options and try something new. The first set of cans that have caught my eye are the HifiMAN HE-400. Would it be worth it? I listen to a ton of different genres - Indie Rock, Electronic, Hip Hop, and Pop. I love the bass heavy aspect of the D2000s.

I owned the D2000 and found that they sounded excellent with or without an amp and minimal amping with a clean DAC, which the E10 has, is more than enough. I don't think you'd hear a difference with a Schiit stack. It is a nice aesthetic addition for a desk though.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Any opinions on Sennheiser Momentums? My requirements are a few posts above.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Westone 4Rs are pretty legit so far; I think I'm still breaking them in though. Regarding the obnoxious amount of eartips they provide though, is there rhyme and reason to the color codes? The manual said that each ear should be a different color, which I think is a typo because each pair of colors is identical :psyduck:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Fire Safety Doug posted:

They follow an equal loudness curve fairly closely, but they all but mute the highest note on a standard 88-key piano. Aside from that they're pretty nice. Low distortion, decently comfortable, etc.

You just have to decide of that's worth the money to you. I'd see if you could try 'em out first.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

movax posted:

Westone 4Rs are pretty legit so far; I think I'm still breaking them in though. Regarding the obnoxious amount of eartips they provide though, is there rhyme and reason to the color codes? The manual said that each ear should be a different color, which I think is a typo because each pair of colors is identical :psyduck:

Color codes on the tips? They usually indicate size. Or color on the IEM/cables? Blue indicates left, right is red.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Midorka posted:

Color codes on the tips? They usually indicate size. Or color on the IEM/cables? Blue indicates left, right is red.

I'm not an idiot, no sir, not at all. :downs:

Yeah, I must have misread the instructions. The removable cables have color codes for each ear, the inserts just have color codes so you can find pairs easier. Jury still out for me on soft foam/rubber vs. the more earplug-like tips though.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

You should hold onto the D2000s as long as you are sufficiently pleased with them, they are becoming a 'classic'. You probably won't find anything significantly better either, unless you move into a much higher price range as far as both headphones AND electronics go. If you want to take it one step at a time and slowly move up in gear, maybe you should get something like a Bifrost DAC from Schiit, which could essentially be used as a good piece of gear to compliment almost any headphone on the market.

edit: For example, the HifiMAN HE series are all orthodynamic, which require a bit of juice to get the best out of. Your FiiO E10 wouldn't be nearly enough to power them in the way that they need, so you would need to drop more money on an amp, or amp/DAC, or amp and separate DAC, and you would end up spending upwards of $700+ most likely. If that seems a bit extreme to you, going about it 1 component at a time might work.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 17, 2013

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Really nice, but if isolation isn't a requirement you could probably find some better sounding headphones for the price.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Is it acceptable to remove the foam padding from the Gratto SR ADI in order to blast canned air through the open back design? I only ask this because I use these headphones while I am in Afghanistan and let me tell you things get dusty around here without even trying. Of course I would use gentle pressure I would not pull the trigger to the rear and I would not use the attachable nozzle for more force I would simply use about 6 to 8 inches away with the foam off so that I might blow any dust or particulates out of the cans themselves.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You mean Grado, right? There's a piece of felt on the back side of the drivers protecting the membrane from dust and such. You'll be fine as long as you're careful and not creating a big positive air pressure in the cavity.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I use Sennheiser HD25-1 II at work and my Momentums are a less forward, less aggressive, less loud (at same iPod levels) more refined version of them. The the sound of the HD25 actually hurt my ears after several hours, whereas the Momentums do not.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
So I've narrowed my next pair if headphones down to 4 choices: The Creative Auravana Lives @$80, the Brainwavz HM5 @$113, the Sennheiser hd280 pro @$99 and the Audio Technica m40s. I mostly listen to hip hop, electronic, and rock. I'll probably do most of my listening at home but noise leakage is still a concern. I don't mind spending a little for something well built and durable. The Brainwavs look comfy and very well made, but I'm concerned they may be too flat for the hip hop and electronic I like to listen to.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Budget - ~$100 or less

Source - Pretty much just portable devices like my iPhone, 3ds, and laptop sometimes.

Isolation Requirements - Nah.

Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud, these are going to be for portability and I'd rather not walk around in public with anything too big and noticable.

Preferred Tonal Balance - I wouldn't really know what to ask for but I suppose vocals are most important because I mostly listen to podcasts.

Past Headphones - I've been going through a variety of ~$20 earbuds and IEMs for a long time now and they always break on me in the similar fashion of just constant use severing the wire to one of the ear pieces. So, I'm looking more into something with good durability with the wiring especially around the area of the plug because that seems to be always where it breaks.

Preferred Music - I mostly listen to podcasts but I like a variety of genres with a more inclination towards stuff like Daft Punk, Hot Chip, and Ratatat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How awful are the MEElectronics M9 and Ultimate Ears 200? I would never say they compare to my Sennheiser HD 580, but they sound okay to me for $25 earphones. I ask because one of the channels on my M9 died and I was looking to replace it, but if my ears aren't that discerning, I'll just get whatever $20 crap is in the checkout aisle at Best Buy. :negative:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Josh Lyman posted:

How awful are the MEElectronics M9 and Ultimate Ears 200? I would never say they compare to my Sennheiser HD 580, but they sound okay to me for $25 earphones. I ask because one of the channels on my M9 died and I was looking to replace it, but if my ears aren't that discerning, I'll just get whatever $20 crap is in the checkout aisle at Best Buy. :negative:

The UE200 is a piece of utter crap, really harsh and not constructed very well. The MeElec M6 or M9 are better 'phones and it's not particularly close.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

eddiewalker posted:

How'd they verify ownership? I'm sure I never sent in a warranty card.

(re: portapros)

Sorry for the late response.

They ask for a "receipt number" in the online form. I filled in the only number I found on my receipt from the retailer, and it seems to have worked. I have no idea if they actually verify the sale with the retailer, or if it's just to weed out people who are afraid to bluff. I'd bet the latter, it would probably be cheaper for them.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm looking at the beyerdynamic custom one pro at 169CAD$ as a general use computer/gaming/movie headphone. What I like is the big over the ear cups (I have huge ears), detachable cable with the possibility of adding in an attached microphone to the set up.

But then I went and did research on audiophile websites and there are muddled mids, low impedance and then recommend headphones that cost twice as much.

Does anyone have suggestions for headphones or headsets in the same price range?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
"Low impedance" isn't a positive or a negative attribute and take headphone nut sites with a grain of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm looking at the beyerdynamic custom one pro at 169CAD$ as a general use computer/gaming/movie headphone. What I like is the big over the ear cups (I have huge ears), detachable cable with the possibility of adding in an attached microphone to the set up.

But then I went and did research on audiophile websites and there are muddled mids, low impedance and then recommend headphones that cost twice as much.

Does anyone have suggestions for headphones or headsets in the same price range?

See:

eddiewalker posted:

take headphone nut sites with a grain of salt.

Also, you can change the frequency response of those on the fly, so if you personally don't like any of the four settings after trying them, THEN worry about whether they're a bad bet (return).

It sounds like those headphones fit your likes quite well, so as long as they make you happy that's all that matters. Those will last you a long time.

e. Just a heads-up: if you don't want to sink a bunch into Beyerdynamic's mic, know that you can use any 3.5mm male to male cable with an in-line mic that'll fit in the jack on the headphones themselves. It looks like V-Moda's stupidly durable cable will fit.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 22, 2013