Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Very nice first day! I'm happy to see that Asahishou and Houmasho are back in Maegashira. Both of them are a lot of fun to watch!

Homasho/Endoh was really good, you could tell Homasho wanted his win back after losing in Juryo.

Chiyotairyu/Goeido wasn't so good, Chiyo tried to pull a high ranker and it backfired.

I hope Takayasu can win a couple of Ozeki and Yokozuna fights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure how many of you guys live in Tokyo but I'm planning on going to the tournament on Monday the 23rd, probably going to get an isu B ticket (mid level second floor) which is about 4,900円. Anyone who wants to join is more than welcome if you can make it out on a Monday.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVOqmiji5Y0.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Aran is a big boy but you can tell that he is drat near solid muscle, which is saying a lot for a sumo wrestler. Most of them move around pre-match like they're, well, 400lb fat men with bad knees, but Aran moves around and squats/stands up like he weighs nothing. Pretty useless observation I know, much like the one about Ikioi's babby fists.

I'm thinking Homasho will retire if he falls back to Juryo again, which would happen around a 6-9 record, I think. It looks like his power is just not there anymore. I couldn't stand to lose my two favorite wrestlers in the span of less than a month. :smith:

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
Glad for sumo being back!

Harumafuji didn't looks so sharp on day 2 but it's a long tournament.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Some boring matches, some incredible matches. A good day two

I was JUST thinking of the Shohouzan staredown and was hoping for him to do something spectacular today. Love that golden diaper :3:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
some great matches today, endo and ikioi's efforts were very impressive

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwdCQoo4cN4.

Hakuho-Shohozan ending like that is a pity. Also, what's going to come first for Endo: a top knot or sanyaku berth :v:.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hell of a showing from okinoumi.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 4

Shouhouzan, you loving goon.

Oh look, another epic Kotooshu crash into the dohyo :psyduck:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goddamn Kotooshu why can't you bring this kind of game every bout.

Also, Harumafuji :(.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A colleague came up to me at work today and said he expects Harumafuji to retire after this basho.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Shouhouzan, you loving goon.

Oh look, another epic Kotooshu crash into the dohyo :psyduck:

I find myself liking Shouhouzan now.

What is it with Kotooshu being a crash test dummy? He's gonna get really badly injured one day. Those things being said, just a great day, can't wait for tomorrow!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I only catch sumo every now and then but how often does poo poo like this happen because god drat.

also warning turn your speakers down holy poo poo

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
This is the basho with the slippery clay correct? I seem to remember some comments last year and the clay looks darker.

The elders will need to have a sit down with Harumafuji soon. He seems to be getting pushed around a lot.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

DJExile posted:

I only catch sumo every now and then but how often does poo poo like this happen because god drat.
Baruto was famous for picking guys up and setting them down outside the ring but nobody ever gets slammed like that. Although Hakuhou probably would if he thought he could get away with it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Baruto was famous for picking guys up and setting them down outside the ring but nobody ever gets slammed like that. Although Hakuhou probably would if he thought he could get away with it.

Baruto's highlight video is like watching David vs Goliath, if Goliath had stomped the poo poo out of David.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2Pc2dM-r0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: And apparently by "David" I mean "Tochinoshin". How is that dude still alive?

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 19, 2013

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Fryhtaning posted:

Baruto's highlight video is like watching David vs Goliath, if Goliath had stomped the poo poo out of David.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo2Pc2dM-r0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: And apparently by "David" I mean "Tochinoshin". How is that dude still alive?

holy poo poo, what is that kimarite at 1:06? does that even have a name?

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Harimanage apparently, it's from his bout against Aran on day 2 of the 2010 November tournament. The full match is even better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdrAlktcxo.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kintamayama still hasn't posted day 5, so I just finished watching via Araibira's playlist.

There was some epic and hilarious Mongolian dickwaving going on between Tokitenkuu and Kyokutenho.

Otherwise a fairly bland day. Maybe Kintamayama fell asleep.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St4uleq_rfA.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Gyojis getting taken out by rikishi will never cease to be entertaining.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

anakha posted:

Gyojis getting taken out by rikishi will never cease to be entertaining.

Gyoji bowling comes very close to rivaling crowd surfing as my favorite outcome.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRzWJLV7EeE.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
I think I went on record before, let me restate, "I am a fan of Shouhozan."

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Couple of questions for the more knowledgeable guys here:

1) I'm really enjoying Endo's rocketship-up-his-rear end rise up the ranks, but this has to level off at some point. What rank does people think he'll settle into?

2) Is Kotoshogiku really as one-dimensional (but really loving good at it) as his wins have made him look?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

anakha posted:

1) I'm really enjoying Endo's rocketship-up-his-rear end rise up the ranks, but this has to level off at some point. What rank does people think he'll settle into?

2) Is Kotoshogiku really as one-dimensional (but really loving good at it) as his wins have made him look?

I really don't know about Endou. I see snippets of genius in his movements (which clearly comes from his school-class wrestling) and he seems to have a knack for picking openings, but I do wonder how much yo-yoing he will end up doing in the maegashira ranks before he gets enough makuuchi experience to make the climb up further. Hopefully he doesn't fall into the trap that is the komusubi/sekiwake/M1 meat grinder and suffer injuries, like many before him.

I think if he stays healthy and can keep from growing apathetic while grinding and gaining experience in maegashira, he could hit ozeki in a couple years. And if he can transition his school-class knowledge to makuuchi, I think he could be a yokozuna someday.

As for your second question, Kotoshogiku really is that one-dimensional. He's found his one thing he's (really, really) good at and decided to entrench there, sadly.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Hakuho became a Yokozuna at Endou's age, so it really isn't that much of a rocketship-up-the-rear end rise. It just seems like he is brand new, but he has been sumo wrestling for 10 years, just not professionally. If he has a chance at Yokozuna, it'll be more like Harumafuji who finally put it all together at the age of 28. I think he'll level off in the Goeido territory, bouncing around the komusubi and sekiwake ranks. Once enough people retire, I think he'll make Ozeki. Sumo isn't getting as many new wrestlers as they used to, so he definitely has age on his side for the long term.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTzdwjw4Kg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:lol: at Masunoyama and the Elvises.

Harumafuji :wtc:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4tLSOu_QtE.

Shohozan playing Kotoshogiku like some two bit maegashira :allears:. Also Harumafuji being jumpy as gently caress :psyduck:.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Why the gently caress did Harumafuji give Chiyotairyuu that staredown? Chiyo hadn't even started to put either fist down when he jumped the first time. That was all Harumafuji's fault.

I've tried like 5 times to "see" the yobimodoshi and all I'm seeing is one of the -nage beltless throws. Too many subtle nuances on the kimarite. Even something as common as the uwatenage can look so drastically different in two different matches.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I feel like Harumafuji's on thinning ice here so he's getting frustrated/edgy/itchy what have you. More wins for Hakuho, our one true savior.

Oh also Shohozan owns

edit - also yeah I'm trying to catch the "super rare technique" Hakuho used and it's lost on me. Slowed it down to .25x speed and still couldn't pick it out from any other toss

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That effort by Toyohibiki near the end of his match was loving epic.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Omnikin posted:

I feel like Harumafuji's on thinning ice here so he's getting frustrated/edgy/itchy what have you. More wins for Hakuho, our one true savior.

Oh also Shohozan owns

edit - also yeah I'm trying to catch the "super rare technique" Hakuho used and it's lost on me. Slowed it down to .25x speed and still couldn't pick it out from any other toss

It's basically a greco takedown where you have the underhook and enter with the knee, getting your hips lower than theirs to get them up off the ground so you can bodylock them to the floor. I haven't seen it in sumo very much.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Sumodb has yobimodoshi listed as kimarite a whopping 36 times, compared to yorikiri which has been called about 137,000 times since 1927.

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALA5XW-7MEE.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Just Winging It posted:

Sumodb has yobimodoshi listed as kimarite a whopping 36 times, compared to yorikiri which has been called about 137,000 times since 1927.

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALA5XW-7MEE.

Harumafuji is somehow the runner-up so far in this basho :wtc:

Osunaarashi has some insane power, but he needs some finishing moves to make it in makuuchi when he eventually moves up. He looks like he's wrestling a crocodile or something. He will burn himself the gently caress out trying to manhandle, well, pretty much any of the makuuchi regulars.

I have no idea how Homasho stayed in at the end there. Wow. He looks to be focusing on staying balanced rather than overpowering his opponent a la Kisenosato, so I hope he continues this comeback.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Fryhtaning posted:

Harumafuji is somehow the runner-up so far in this basho :wtc:

He hasn't looked particularly good, but it's hard to knock being in the runner up position. I guess the problem is Hakuhō is just so dominant that anyone else is going to look weak by comparison. I mean, Harumafuji is already half way up the list of division championships for Yokozuna's and only 12 of 70 Yokozunas have won more than ten. He doesn't have to do much more to be one of the top 15-20 Yokozunas, and as a lighter, younger dude he's got some time to do it with - most Yokozuna seem to be out of the sport in their mid thirties, and Hakuhō is 28 and Harumafuji is 29. The problem of course is the comparison, Hakuhō is one of the top 4 Yokozuna of all time.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

He hasn't looked particularly good, but it's hard to knock being in the runner up position. I guess the problem is Hakuhō is just so dominant that anyone else is going to look weak by comparison. I mean, Harumafuji is already half way up the list of division championships for Yokozuna's and only 12 of 70 Yokozunas have won more than ten. He doesn't have to do much more to be one of the top 15-20 Yokozunas, and as a lighter, younger dude he's got some time to do it with - most Yokozuna seem to be out of the sport in their mid thirties, and Hakuhō is 28 and Harumafuji is 29. The problem of course is the comparison, Hakuhō is one of the top 4 Yokozuna of all time.

That's been a recurring theme, and I think most everyone on the thread agrees with that by now. 4 yusho as an Ozeki would make for an impressive career even without ever making Yokozuna, so he is fortunate to have strung 2 of those 4 back-to-back for the promotion. A 15-0 yusho in his second tournament as Yokozuna is a huge accomplishment, especially with Hakuho still out there.

I think people's issue with him is that this is his 5th basho as Yokozuna and he still looks like he hasn't gotten over the butterflies. Jumpy starts, ugly wins, silly losses, poor body language, and the simple fact that nobody is afraid of him. How many wins have we seen out of Hakuho this basho alone where his opponents barely survive the tachi-ai due to some combination of making GBS threads their pants and making GBS threads the bed?

Like you said, he is lighter and not on the old side, so he has to make up for the physical presence that Hakuho, Asashoryu, Akebono, etc had with some swagger, killer instinct, and a dose of piss and vinegar. I think he'll get there. Hakuho turned around his "bad" year (1 yusho in 2012) when he added a dose of Asashoryu to his personality.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
The beautiful thing about watching Hakuho is that his look just screams boss. You can see by the way he starts and ends matches it is all about getting the Basho record. His face is 100% serious and focused on that particular match.

You can see by the look on his face that he wants that record. It is within sight and he is going for it.

That is a dedication there that is not seen in Harumafuji. He doesn't look lost but he does not look like a Yokozuna. It does not look like he is coming to the match with a look and feeling like he wants to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

evilwaldo posted:

The beautiful thing about watching Hakuho is that his look just screams boss. You can see by the way he starts and ends matches it is all about getting the Basho record. His face is 100% serious and focused on that particular match.

You can see by the look on his face that he wants that record. It is within sight and he is going for it.

That is a dedication there that is not seen in Harumafuji. He doesn't look lost but he does not look like a Yokozuna. It does not look like he is coming to the match with a look and feeling like he wants to win.

Oh my god did you really just make an unironic "the look" post?