Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Another old Toy Yoda ... http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4030405492.html

"Just needs to be running" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Love the car but the price is pretty high IMOHO.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

If I've learned anything from rebuilding old cars, it's that you will always save money buying one that's already restored. Unless you've got your own body and paint shop, it's not worth buying any car with rust damage and/or a totally destroyed interior.

Hell, nowadays you can just go buy a Dynacorn body and build one better than they came from the factory. I never thought that would be possible.

edit

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4046861314.html

Here's a nice example of "too much rust". I'd be amazed if this one ever gets restored.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 14, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
There is no point in buying that rust bucket when you could buy a nice cutlass for pretty cheap these days. Besides the Hemi and other rare muscle cars the prices have dropped since 08.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Hahaha, just went on the miami craigslist and they are hard core into the SEO bullshit down there.

quote:

1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 19831984 1985 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Volvo, Saab, Honda, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover, Dodge, Ford, Cadillac, Chevy, Volkswagen, Saturn, Lexus, Mazda, Lincoln, Subaru, Mercedes, Jaguar, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Mercury, GMC, Jeep, Kia, Hyundai, Acura, BMW, Infinity, Infiniti, Isuzu, Suzuki, Audi, Mitsubishi, Hummer, Geo, Porsche, Scion, Volvo, Saab, Honda, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover, Dodge, Ford, Cadillac, Chevy, Volkswagen, Saturn, Lexus, Mazda, Lincoln, Subaru, Mercedes, Jaguar, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Mercury, GMC, Jeep, Kia, Hyundai, Acura, BMW, Infinity, Infiniti, Isuzu, Suzuki, Audi, Mitsubishi, Hummer, Geo, Porsche, Scion,Accord, Civic, CRV, Ridgeline, Prelude, Element, Del Sol, Odyssey, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Pilot, Camry, Highlander, Yaris, Matrix, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Tundra, Toyota Camry, Rav4, Tacoma, Supra, Solara, Avalon, Sienna, Toyota Corolla, Prius, Sequoia, Celica, Echo, Convertible, Land cruiser, PT Cruiser, Frontier, Titan, Quest, Path finder, Altima, Maxima, Nissan Cube, Sentra, Murano, Rogue, Exterra, Pick up, Truck, Durango, Ram 1500, Sebring, Nitro, Ram 2500, Ram 3500, Van, B150, B250 B350, Box Truck, Challenger, Neon, Charger, Mopar, Avenger, Magnum, Grand Caravan, Stratis, Caravan, Dakota, Town and Country, Lariat, 4x4, F150, F250

Pages of those. You'd think the goal is to up the number of people getting eyes on what it is you're actually trying to sell.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Some (crazy) people like the restoring part though. I agree that is too much for that Cutlass though since its not a 442 or anything.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The funny part about the Craigslist keyword trend is the idea of all these toothless rednecks suddenly becoming SEO wizards.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

G-Mach posted:

There is no point in buying that rust bucket when you could buy a nice cutlass for pretty cheap these days. Besides the Hemi and other rare muscle cars the prices have dropped since 08.

G-bodies are endlessly customizable as well. Modern drivetrains, modern interiors, or just old school carbed badassery. I see running Cutlasses and Regals going for less than $2k with minimal rust around here pretty frequently.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

revmoo posted:

The funny part about the Craigslist keyword trend is the idea of all these toothless rednecks suddenly becoming SEO wizards.

Not much danger of that. The only reason it works is that Craigslist's search system is dumb as poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

G-Mach posted:

Which prices? For built cars, or projects? I've seen a significant increase in the prices for 70's Detroit cars (all of them) over the past few years. Stuff like the Mustang II and Maverick going up is just bizarre, other than for people that can't afford late 60's cars.

The thing that really sucks is that the floor is now between a two and three thousand, depending on the region. It's hard to find any car from that era for under two grand, no matter the condition, which leads to situations where only crazy people buy a rusted out husk when you can get a driver-quality *almost* anything for around five grand. It's only the show-quality and numbers-matching examples that actually get over $15k.

For example, this Galaxie has been on craigslist for at least two years. The bumpers have never been replaced and the pictures have been updated once. The price has never changed and I guess he's not willing to lose what he's got in it.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4060313343.html

That model is pretty much as base model as you could get for 1970 and is worth about nothing, especially with the very hard to find bumpers missing and the trim. There is zero aftermarket support for this model of Galaxie, as I have found out myself, and I guess this guy found that out the hard way. (I'm not giving up on my project, but after five years I still haven't found a front bumper)

edit

Oh man, I think I have found the height of delusions of grandeur.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4043483518.html

"I PAID 6500.00 AND PURCHASED A FRONT END AND REAR BUMPER FOR IT. THIS CAR IS EXTREMELY VALUABLE WHEN RESTORED AND PROBABLY WORTH 7500 OR MORE AS IS."

If that person paid more than a grand, he got ripped off. That car is hosed up in so many ways and I'm pretty sure the least popular Torino bodystyle, even with a 4V 351, is not worth anywhere close to what he wants.

Oh and he's selling a car from New Jersey on Texas' site.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 15, 2013

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

T1g4h posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mazda-RX-7-GSL-Coupe-2-Door-/331021233453

So if you've ever seen the "Zero Fucks Given RX7" episode of /TUNED, you'll know this car. If you're unfamiliar with it, well, just watch the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjpXbMiCtg

Anyways, it looks like Corbin's selling it to help fund his new Drift Rolls project. So if you want to own the nuttiest RX7 built, here's your chance :v:

He learned a lot while building it, now he's also going to learn a very important lesson about resale

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Would it make sense to take it apart and sell all the fancy parts he put in it separately?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Tres Burritos posted:

Would it make sense to take it apart and sell all the fancy parts he put in it separately?

i don't know how you would get your money out of that piece of poo poo... scrapyard would give you 50 bucks for the shell, trashed on drivetrain probably 2500... Even if the body were totally straight and it had fresh paint you probably wouldn't hit his asking price of 8,500... Could probably only register it non-op in cali

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IIRC he's got a decent suspension setup on it too, so he could make out alright (relatively) parting it out. He needs to get over himself, part out the entire thing then scrap the shell.

[edit] Zero bids lol.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 16, 2013

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

drukqs posted:

He learned a lot while building it, now he's also going to learn a very important lesson about resale

This is what happens when you have a directionless project that uses tidbits of advice from people on the internet(V8? check, Oil Cooler? check, Gauges? check). Had he built this to some sort of spec/race series I'm sure he would have sold it quick. But who wants a non-ls v8 swapped car w/ no HVAC that I highly doubt will pass any sort of inspection in california?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

Had he built this to some sort of spec/race series

This seems to be a recurring problem with "builds" of this type that I come across. The people building them have no idea about racing, series specs and requirements, etc and end up bolting on a whole lto of parts "BECAUSE RACE CAR", only to find out they either can't pass tech for any series, or they have built a totally uncompetetitive car because it can only fit in an unlimited class where everyone else has outspent them by 5 to 10 times (and are experienced drivers).

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Motronic posted:

This seems to be a recurring problem with "builds" of this type that I come across. The people building them have no idea about racing, series specs and requirements, etc and end up bolting on a whole lto of parts "BECAUSE RACE CAR", only to find out they either can't pass tech for any series, or they have built a totally uncompetetitive car because it can only fit in an unlimited class where everyone else has outspent them by 5 to 10 times (and are experienced drivers).

Yet if you were to mention this to them in their threads, you are considered a thread shitter and that it's all "Just for fun".

Really makes you think...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

A lot of builds/builders are also unsure of what they actually want out of the car. I've seen quite a few swapped 240SX's (to use an example) that have no power steering and the air conditioning removed to "save weight" but the car will have huge, heavy wheels and a sub+sound system, in addition to never being driven on the track or in any type of competition. I do understand that not everyone wants to race but then why remove those systems if the car is street driven only? I have also seen (more than once) the ABS system get tossed for no discernible reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

animeliker posted:

A lot of builds/builders are also unsure of what they actually want out of the car. I've seen quite a few swapped 240SX's (to use an example) that have no power steering and the air conditioning removed to "save weight" but the car will have huge, heavy wheels and a sub+sound system, in addition to never being driven on the track or in any type of competition. I do understand that not everyone wants to race but then why remove those systems if the car is street driven only? I have also seen (more than once) the ABS system get tossed for no discernible reason.

Gets in the way during the swap, don't want to take the time to do it right (relocating stuff, figuring out what works, fabricating brackets) so just remove it and claim you didn't need it.

If removing power steering increased weight somehow, the same guys would be claiming it improves feel or makes the car seem more raw.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I would go with laziness mostly. I've been working on a car for a month and I can tell you the A/C does not work because I do not want to mess with it. It was easier to just remove it and claim that it adds weight and clutter. I also removed the air pump and EGR because I do not want to try and figure it out or fix it. It also adds weight and clutter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'd honestly like to remove the PS and AC from my Miata, weight isn't really a concern, but less draw off the motor and a cleaner/less cluttered engine bay is nice. Also the manual racks on Miatas feel awesome and I want one. I wouldn't say it's laziness but more of a automotive anal retentive kinda thing and I don't think it makes me a bad person :colbert:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

leica posted:

I'd honestly like to remove the PS and AC from my Miata, weight isn't really a concern, but less draw off the motor and a cleaner/less cluttered engine bay is nice. Also the manual racks on Miatas feel awesome and I want one. I wouldn't say it's laziness but more of a automotive anal retentive kinda thing and I don't think it makes me a bad person :colbert:

Also it's drat near redundant in a car the size of a Miata.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Boy this ad makes me want to run out and buy your porsche!

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Boy this ad makes me want to run out and buy your porsche!

well it is an NA 924....

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

drukqs posted:

He is going to watch this video in 5-10 years and just absolutely cringe.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

He is going to watch this video in 5-10 years and just absolutely cringe.

I just watched about 2 minutes of it and realized this kid epitomizes everything that is reddit...down to the sunglasses.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sorry but if this was a build topic on here you'd all be cheering him on.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think people would still call him loving stupid when he wanted to sell it for that much though?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Not me.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I would cheer him. Mainly because it's not on my dime. When I was 16 I would have loved to have the ability and money to build that car. I probably would have built it the same way, and I would have thought it was awesome. I would probably even think (and hope) that it was worth a lot of money "to the right person that appreciates it." However, anyone with a brain and that much cash to throw away would not have a hard time finding something much better for the same cost.

Also I would add that there is no way I would buy that stupid car for that much money. At $1500 - $2000 it would be a fun beater until I grew tired or scared of it, then I could sell the parts and get my money back.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh poo poo we got a bad rear end over here...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think a lot of you a missing the point of "no fucks given".

He did what he wanted to do, that's all.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

He apparently started giving a gently caress when it came time to sell it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Galler posted:

Also known as 'becoming an adult' :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Galler posted:

Yeah well, "giving no fucks" usually comes to an end after some time, especially when money is involved.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah well, "giving no fucks" usually comes to an end after some time, especially when money is involved.

..except we're talking about Craigslist.

With poo poo like this.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

I don't have a problem with the car, I think he's just excessively nerdy in a cringe-worthy sort of way, like a nerd-extrovert instead of being shy.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

dreesemonkey posted:

I don't have a problem with the car, I think he's just excessively nerdy in a cringe-worthy sort of way, like a nerd-extrovert instead of being shy.

I mean the car itself is covered in pedobears and car memes, I think that's well worthy of hatred alone.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Its not that its an original art piece with inspiration built up from experience. Its not really different than a Gulf Oil livery, but its really that its intended to look intentionally incongruous but in actuality is a specific homage. A punk cover band, of sorts.

Speedycop from LeMons does the same thing, but with a sense of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

West SAAB Story posted:

..except we're talking about Craigslist.

I entitle your post "Velocity Perception." The first three are so horrible that by the time your reach the fourth your comparative reaction is "whats wrong with that one?"