Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Joe Don Baker posted:

Go get a thunderbolt cable if both machines have the port. It will save you shitloads of time.

And cost $50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Splinter posted:

Anyone have experience with this Logitech wireless solar keyboard? Any issues? I'm looking for a wireless keyboard for use when my MBP is 'docked', and am leaning toward this one since it has the number pad unlike the Apple wireless and I like the idea of not having to worry about batteries.

Yeah, worked great so long as I remembered to turn it off when I didn't use it otherwise I'd have to leave it on the windowsill to charge.

Also it is sitting in my closet so I could probably just offload it for the cost of shipping and a bit extra... I now have 6 keyboards in my closet since I just got the new Microsoft split keyboard (which owns btw)

Warning though that it's likely dead by now and from what I remember finding a replacement battery is a pain as it needed a MR2032 instead of the non-chargeable kind.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

'09 27" iMac / '10 13" MBP
;)

Use a Firewire cable then

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Splinter posted:

Anyone have experience with this Logitech wireless solar keyboard? Any issues? I'm looking for a wireless keyboard for use when my MBP is 'docked', and am leaning toward this one since it has the number pad unlike the Apple wireless and I like the idea of not having to worry about batteries.

I have this guy I use with my Apple TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-iPhone-920-003884/dp/B007VL8Y2C

I love that it pairs with three bluetooth devices. The battery holds up pretty well in my dark living room (although I don't type on it a lot).

What confuses me is why they didn't build this same technology into the K750. :iiam: The stupid K750 only pairs to one thing and uses a dongle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
gigE will be faster (or at least the same speed) as either firewire and probably thunderbolt too so just use that.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Splinter posted:

Any particular reason you are recommending this + the Apple wireless rather than the Logitech? The LMP keypad has bad reviews on both Amazon and the Apple store and is pretty expensive for what it is as well.

I like the build quality of my Apple keyboards and would want to supplement them instead of replacing them, personally? There are other bluetooth number pads, but maybe they all suck. I don't have personal experience with any.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

flyboi posted:

Yeah, worked great so long as I remembered to turn it off when I didn't use it otherwise I'd have to leave it on the windowsill to charge.

Also it is sitting in my closet so I could probably just offload it for the cost of shipping and a bit extra... I now have 6 keyboards in my closet since I just got the new Microsoft split keyboard (which owns btw)

Warning though that it's likely dead by now and from what I remember finding a replacement battery is a pain as it needed a MR2032 instead of the non-chargeable kind.
Do you have any comments on how it types, compared to Apple laptop & standalone keyboards?

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it if I decide to go this route.

echobucket posted:

I have this guy I use with my Apple TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-iPhone-920-003884/dp/B007VL8Y2C

I love that it pairs with three bluetooth devices. The battery holds up pretty well in my dark living room (although I don't type on it a lot).

What confuses me is why they didn't build this same technology into the K750. :iiam: The stupid K750 only pairs to one thing and uses a dongle.
Yeah I agree, I wish the full size version was bluetooth as well. At least it looks like the keyboard and a wireless Logitech mouse can share 1 dongle.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Splinter posted:

Do you have any comments on how it types, compared to Apple laptop & standalone keyboards?

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it if I decide to go this route.

Like any chicklet keyboard, it worked fine in my opinion. It uses a dongle and it didn't seem to have any issues losing connection but I kept it on a desk in close proximity. Can't comment on the distance unfortunately.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Macbook question that I assume is hardware-related.

Does anyone know why a lot of Macbooks Pros and Macbooks seem to have this constant white noise hiss generated out of the headphones (and probably the speakers) whenever there's an audio signal? This is more about curiosity than fixing it, since the Macbook Pro that is constantly hissing is my work computer and is all locked down admin-wise. Also this isn't about the R2D2 noises that I guess plague a lot of other Macbooks.

Basically, when you hit, say, volume up. You don't just hear the "volume up" chirp. You hear a soft click like turning on an amp then a half second of "thhhhhhh" white noise then "chirp" then you hear a full second of "thhhhhhhhh" and then another soft click and it is silent again. The end of the hiss can actually vary in duration. I think it depends on if something in the OS is keeping a "stream" open to the sound system of the OS. The hiss does not change in volume when you raise or lower the system volume.

I should point out that I work in a noisy office with a pretty loud shushy HVAC system that is constantly blowing, and I can still hear the white noise very clearly with in-ear monitors. Sometimes I don't even play music. I just listen to the soothing white noise while I work.

I did some googling and found that tons of people bitch about this constantly, going back to at least 2007/2008. My i7 Macbook Pro (MacBookPro8,2 running 10.7.5) has this but I did a quick test of my wife's brand-new work Macbook Pro didn't seem have the same problem. I didn't use the same headphones, but the noise I'm talking about is not subtle.

Then it gets weird. I figured it must just be that Macbooks just have lovely headphone jacks like 90% of all laptops -- that it was an analog problem. I had a cheap Behringer 202 USB soundcard at home that I wasn't using and that uses Core Audio (no drivers needed on OSX), so I brought it in and figured it would solve it.

It made it worse. I don't know if it's because the USB soundcard can resolve the noise more clearly or what. So that means that the problem is digital? That the "core audio" part of OSX cannot generate a system alert noise or a music track without also generating clicks and soft white noise? Keep in mind: I did try every available option on in Audio MIDI Setup. Also, switching the default audio device back to internal (but keeping everything plugged into the USB soundcard) results in zero hiss.

Like I said, I don't think there is a solution, since the problem goes back five years. I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard of this and if there's some sort of programming or chip-level rounding error or some poo poo that causes this digital noise in the core audio stream?

EDIT:

:aaa: HOLY poo poo I JUST loving FIXED IT. Just typing that up jogged my brain. I changed the system default audio back to internal speakers and then set VLC to play only on the USB audio AND NO loving HISS.

Now I can't use iTunes anymore but whatever. Still though, why the gently caress do I have to do this?

EDIT2:

poo poo nope it's back. Something must have been keeping the audio stream going, so I got faked out when I didn't hear the clicks. Hiss is still there no matter what. oh well.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 18, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Apple laptops don't play well with very sensitive, low-impedance headphones. Etymotics (and probably others) make an inline impedance adapter for this very problem, or you can make your own by soldering some resistors in between an 1/8" connector and jack. A headphone amp like one of the tiny Shuffle-sized Fiios will also fix it.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Apple laptops don't play well with very sensitive, low-impedance headphones. Etymotics (and probably others) make an inline impedance adapter for this very problem, or you can make your own by soldering some resistors in between an 1/8" connector and jack. A headphone amp like one of the tiny Shuffle-sized Fiios will also fix it.

I should have mentioned that I am using an amp with an output impedance of 0 Ohms. Now that I figured out how to get VLC to output on its own to the USB soundcard, the hiss is gone.

The problem is some sort of software/chip defect. I don't understand how it could be an analog problem like impedance if it happens with the USB soundcard too. But electricity is magic to me so what do I know.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 18, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Get a CMoy BB amp for cheap... your music will sound better and there is no more hissing.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

So I just installed a second hard drive in my 13" 2011 Macbook Pro in place of the optical drive. Now my Macbook is significantly louder. Is there any way to turn the second HDD off / make it "sleep" when not in use?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You sure it isn't indexing the drive for spotlight? Because it'll sleep the optibay normally.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Splinter posted:

I use this with my mac and I love it.

As someone else mentioned, it would be even better if you could pair it with more than one device like some of their newer models.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Pertplus posted:

So I just installed a second hard drive in my 13" 2011 Macbook Pro in place of the optical drive. Now my Macbook is significantly louder. Is there any way to turn the second HDD off / make it "sleep" when not in use?
You can use diskutil command line to 'eject' the disk which will turn it off right away. I found this more effective than 'unmountDisk'. I put the commands to eject and mount the disk in shell script files and put them on the dock so I can easily turn the drive on and off with 1 click. You'll need to name give the scripts a .command extension and make them executable using chmod.

edit: If you don't want to completely eject or unmount the disk, there's also a variable that sets how long the drive will idle before it goes to sleep. By default this is set to 10 minutes. A lot of people will drop this to 5. If you make it too short you may hurt your battery life due to frequent spinups/downs. The idle time can also be configured differently for when you are on battery on plugged in.

Some googling should give you the exact commands you need to run for all of this.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 19, 2013

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
e: oops never mind about that

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Splinter posted:

I own it. I hate it.

Lots of the keys are squeaky and in general doesn't feel nearly as nice to type on as the wireless keyboard.

Solar wise it's fine. I still hate it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone had trouble with their Mac (2011 MBP 15" in my case, 10.8.*) locking up after entering the Screen Saver mode? I'll come back to wake up the screen and log in but it's stuck on the screen saver and won't display a login menu. Also had it occur when opening the lid from a sleep - completely black screen that never woke up but I could press buttons and get an audial reply.

Nothing suspicious looking in system.log

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 19, 2013

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone had trouble with their Mac (2011 MBP 15" in my case, 10.8.*) locking up after entering the Screen Saver mode? I'll come back to wake up the screen and log in but it's stuck on the screen saver and won't display a login menu. Also had it occur when opening the lid from a sleep - completely black screen that never woke up but I could press buttons and get an audial reply.

Nothing suspicious looking in system.log
Taking a guess your AMD GPU (not the inbuilt Intel one on the CPU) is dying. That happened to me. New logic board time.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

You Am I posted:

Taking a guess your AMD GPU (not the inbuilt Intel one on the CPU) is dying. That happened to me. New logic board time.

Oh buh I hope not, were you covered?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
My 15" Retina MBP has been getting super hot recently, iStat menus reported the CPU die was at 93c with 10% CPU load, and I've seen it get to 105C under moderate load.

I'm in Australia (currently around 30c) so I expected slightly higher temps than the reports I've seen online, but that seems a little excessive..

edit: Reset the SMC and it's not gotten above 54c yet, fingers crossed.. my legs can't take much more of this :D

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

spongeworthy posted:

Oh buh I hope not, were you covered?

Yeah, it was a work purchased MacBook, so they had a 3yr onsite warranty with work's Apple supplier

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I have a 2009 white Macbook that I need a new battery for. Are there any third party sources for one that are generally recommended? I tried a couple off Amazon but out of the box they are at 70% health and the laptop tells me that the battery needs service. It was $25 so I wasn't expecting much, but I would rather have something that costs a little more but actually works without shelling out 130 bucks for the official one.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Ask yourself: "Why do I hate my computer?" The answer is clear: you love your computer because you love living life. Just have the official battery service done and live life to the fullest.

No, there are no good alternatives.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
I remember just reading about the problem with certain 13" MBP HDD cables... is that covered by a recall or anything? A friend of mine is experiencing this problem for the third time in a row and Apple wants a lot to even look at it. Can we order a cable and I do the install myself?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hikaki posted:

I have a 2009 white Macbook that I need a new battery for. Are there any third party sources for one that are generally recommended? I tried a couple off Amazon but out of the box they are at 70% health and the laptop tells me that the battery needs service. It was $25 so I wasn't expecting much, but I would rather have something that costs a little more but actually works without shelling out 130 bucks for the official one.

kuskus posted:

Ask yourself: "Why do I hate my computer?" The answer is clear: you love your computer because you love living life. Just have the official battery service done and live life to the fullest.

No, there are no good alternatives.

Yes, kuskus is 100% right.

There are NO, repeat, NO good, reliable battery alternatives for currently shipping Mac laptops and ones made after 2007/2008.

When you buy one of those "100% compatible" batteries you will often get one of the following:

- A used original Apple battery

- A cheap poo poo battery that lasts long enough for you to smugpost 'hey mine works great' then have it fail on you a month later

- A battery that fits poorly

Other than Newer Computing who makes batteries for vintage (pre 2007) models, there are no vendors that bother to make batteries to Apple standards.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 20, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Oh My Science posted:

I remember just reading about the problem with certain 13" MBP HDD cables... is that covered by a recall or anything? A friend of mine is experiencing this problem for the third time in a row and Apple wants a lot to even look at it. Can we order a cable and I do the install myself?

If you've had the cable replaced three times and it still shits the bed, IMHO it's time for either a new drive or a new logic board, or both.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Binary Badger posted:

There are NO, repeat, NO good, reliable battery alternatives for currently shipping Mac laptops and ones made after 2007/2008.

Whoa. I paid like $20 for one off of eBay and had the same issues as others. They even sent me a replacement for free when I complained cause it wasn't supposed to do that. Both have the same issue, so I had given up and thought the laptop was going bad. Good to know its just the cheap replacement.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently there's a hack to run a Quadro 4000 over Thunderbolt:
http://mediapros.co.uk/portfolio-view/thunderbolterizer/

And I guess the French side of Tom's Hardware got a K5000 working but they don't seem to say how:
http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/os-10.9-benchmark,1-45741.html
(Bigger deal there is that it looks like the HD4000 may be getting a big boost from Mavericks)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It's a pretty safe bet it'll require Mavericks to get those jumped up benchmarks, not just the drivers themselves.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

If you've had the cable replaced three times and it still shits the bed, IMHO it's time for either a new drive or a new logic board, or both.

Additionally, there is no recall, though the issue is common in 2009 and some 2010 13" models more than others. There is an HDD cable pad that should have been installed the first time the cable was replaced that keeps pressure from the bottom case off the cable. If that wasn't installed, it may be another reason why the cable keeps failing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That reminds me to ask something. Is a bad HDD cable a common problem in MBPs? The school I work at has a student laptop program that I oversee. Last year several schools switched over to Macs and this year, all but two schools switched, so we have several hundred out there. This year, and just within the past month, I've had probably 10 come back in with bad cables and a few with bad HDDs. This is by far the most common problem.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

That reminds me to ask something. Is a bad HDD cable a common problem in MBPs? The school I work at has a student laptop program that I oversee. Last year several schools switched over to Macs and this year, all but two schools switched, so we have several hundred out there. This year, and just within the past month, I've had probably 10 come back in with bad cables and a few with bad HDDs. This is by far the most common problem.
Known issue with the 2009s as mentioned above.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Oh My Science posted:

Apple does not charge to diagnose a machine before repair.

Edit: ^^^^^ Yes, there should be foam brackets installed when replacing these cables that are supposed to help but I'm not sure if 1) it actually helps or 2) they've been doing that when he's been getting it repaired.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Binary Badger posted:

I was afraid of that. 130 bucks is a tough pill to swallow when the last battery swelled up after only ~40 cycles. Oh well, I guess that's the only choice I have to keep the laptop in commission, especially with Apple's dumb decision to underclock the CPU when it doesn't have a battery connected.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Hikaki posted:

I was afraid of that. 130 bucks is a tough pill to swallow when the last battery swelled up after only ~40 cycles. Oh well, I guess that's the only choice I have to keep the laptop in commission, especially with Apple's dumb decision to underclock the CPU when it doesn't have a battery connected.

The battery should be guaranteed for a year and if you have AppleCare it should be covered under that. At least that's how it was when I worked there, but we had some pretty chill managers ymmv.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I know this is a pretty silly question but I'll ask it anyway:

I'm really considering a rMBP and I think I can live with the 256GB SSD in the base model if I put the SSD I have now in an external USB3 (or FW800 or Thunderbolt if that's faster) enclosure, but I don't know about the 8GB of RAM since I can never upgrade.

The thing would be for photo editing, but the images get quite large, sometimes 6-700MB. Lightroom, PS, Perfect Resize, etc.

Q: Will I be just fine with the 8GB of RAM? I expect the computer to last at least five years, probably longer (since my needs are unlikely to change in that timespane).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't be massively concerned about the SSD size as 256GB is still a lot, and networks / cloud storage is only going to get faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Right. I'm wondering about the 8GB of RAM on Mavericks or whatever in the future (blah blah can't future proof thanks). I have 8GB on Windows 8 and it's fine. I haven't used OS X in four years or something though.