Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Rick Reilly.

quote:

...Doesn't matter. The 81-year-old Washington Redskins name is falling, and everybody better get out of the way. For the majority of Native Americans who don't care, we'll care for them. For the Native Americans who haven't asked for help, we're glad to give it to them.

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I don't care if it's low hanging fruit, gently caress Rick Reilly

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

And Craig Calcaterra just posted this on Twitter:

quote:

Rick Reilly makes $3.4 million a year. For that they get no one reading him other than hate-reads + local talk radio-level insight.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I like how the embedded image in the article managed to mock itself:

quote:

Headdresses are traditionally worn on important occasions by Native Americans who have worked to earn each feather.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

quote:

One person? I know an atheist who is offended by religious names like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. There are people who who don't think Ole Miss should be the Rebels. People who lost family to Hurricanes. There are people who think Wizards promotes paganism. Shall we listen to all of them?

We should listen to Atom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uUiCL3QzpU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jesus loving christ.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Bleacher Report hired the New York Times' Knicks writer:

http://deadspin.com/bleacher-report-poaches-howard-beck-from-the-times-1343855547

I know the Times sees sports differently, but that's still an impressive hire.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

toadee posted:

I like how the embedded image in the article managed to mock itself:

Hahaha, it's doubtful, but I really hope someone did that to highlight how stupid that article is

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Hahaha, it's doubtful, but I really hope someone did that to highlight how stupid that article is

Honestly the more I look at it the more I can't see any other reason. Literally any other picture of events unfolding at a Washington game would have been better (well, worse for us).

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > The Sports Journalism Thread: Kind of like a reservation

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vertical Lime posted:

Bleacher Report hired the New York Times' Knicks writer:

http://deadspin.com/bleacher-report-poaches-howard-beck-from-the-times-1343855547

I know the Times sees sports differently, but that's still an impressive hire.

They also hired Kevin Ding (Lakers beat writer), Jared Zwerling (SI/ESPN) and Ethan Skolnick (Palm Beach Post). Really good pick-ups for them.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Part of the reason Bleacher Report got bought by Turner Sports is using it to populate a lot of the content on NBA.com, guessing those moves are related to that goal.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
NYT sports section has never been anything special either, so this isn't that great of a victory, but gathering the other three with this one is pretty good for them.

Any mention on if these guys are going to travel with the teams still?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The broken bones posted:

NYT sports section has never been anything special either, so this isn't that great of a victory, but gathering the other three with this one is pretty good for them.

Any mention on if these guys are going to travel with the teams still?

It looks like Skolnick will be covering the Heat full-time, at least. I assume the same is true for Ding.

There's also this:

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Benne posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > The Sports Journalism Thread: Kind of like a reservation

hahaha

Good articles I think, first one's a few months old but don't think I saw a link to it here:
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/07/deacon_white_hall_of_fame_he_invented_the_wind_up_popularized_the_catcher.3.html
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9681627/baseball-archaeologist-david-block

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are we upset about Rick Reilly's piece because, even though it's clearly in jest, his position is wrong? :confused:

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Are we upset about Rick Reilly's piece because, even though it's clearly in jest, his position is wrong? :confused:

It's not in jest you dum dum.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know why you are giving Rick Reilly the benefit of the doubt, but that is a bad idea.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jesus loving christ, you never go Full Reilly.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Why does ESPN pay Rick Reilly $3.4 million when Grantland's "#hotsportstakes" guy does the same job for 1/50th the cost?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

midwat posted:

Why does ESPN pay Rick Reilly $3.4 million when Grantland's "#hotsportstakes" guy does the same job for 1/50th the cost?

Because you just used Rick Reilly's name but not the other guy's.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Posted in the MLB thread, but deserves a repost: In Search of Baseball's Holy Grail.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Posted in the MLB thread, but deserves a repost: In Search of Baseball's Holy Grail.

I already posted it !!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm not going to lie; the fact that everyone ignored my anti-baseball history effortpost has wounded me deeply.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mornacale posted:

Because you just used Rick Reilly's name but not the other guy's.

To be fair, I read #hotsportstakes way more than I do Reilly.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

erezaka posted:

I already posted it !!

Whoops. I saw Reilly's name and kept scrolling.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

erezaka posted:

It's not in jest you dum dum.
Yeah I've seen when Rick Reilley thinks he's speaking in jest, it's all those mind bogglingly bad segments on Sunday NFL Countdown that are accompanied with photoshops and hanna barbera sound effects and pop culture references to 1973.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

morestuff posted:

It looks like Skolnick will be covering the Heat full-time, at least. I assume the same is true for Ding.

There's also this:

TBJ is moving from The Score and have been mum about anymore details. I wonder if they're a part of this NBA.com buyout business.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

TBJ is moving from The Score and have been mum about anymore details. I wonder if they're a part of this NBA.com buyout business.

That'd be terrific. I had figured something with Grantland, but that probably makes more sense.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

morestuff posted:

That'd be terrific. I had figured something with Grantland, but that probably makes more sense.

They could finally meet the rad dude who does the NBA.com highlights :unsmith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Reilly may have topped the 'Bryce Harper: Conservative Hero' writer for worst column this year.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think Reilly may have topped the 'Bryce Harper: Conservative Hero' writer for worst column this year.

That was last year.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

It didn't have the same recognition as Reilly, but that Padres blog on SBNation celebrating the injury of some kid who decided to go to college rather than sign with the Padres was pretty awful.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Fauxhawk Express posted:

It didn't have the same recognition as Reilly, but that Padres blog on SBNation celebrating the injury of some kid who decided to go to college rather than sign with the Padres was pretty awful.

The guy who wrote that was a teenager, not a middle-aged man who should really know better. He also had the decency to apologize.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This is probably about as good of a rebuttal to that Reily column as there is:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/176260/rick-reilly-and-most-irredeemably-stupid-defense-redskins-name-you-will-ever-read

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dave Zirin posted:

Once a brilliant boy-wonder columnist for Sports Illustrated, Reilly has, to be kind, not aged well. He has become the sports writing equivalent of the safety information packet on an airplane: the thing you do not read.

:drat:

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

Later in the column, Reilly will trash King and Brennan by name, but lacks the sand to call out Simmons. If nothing else, he knows where his maize is buttered.

Rick Reilly: lovely writer and coward

Although, if we're being fair, Reilly's piece is still not as bad as this loving disaster.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 19, 2013

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Dave Zirin owns. He also was publicly commended by the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs via Twitter for that particular piece.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Simmons vs Reilly would be ugly. They're both tools, but Simmons is not held back by his corporate masters nearly as much and can go anywhere he wants with criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

haljordan posted:

Rick Reilly: lovely writer and coward

Although, if we're being fair, Reilly's piece is still not as bad as this loving disaster.

"Yeah, forget the 18 years of captivity and unspeakable horrors you went through, here's all the sports poo poo you missed!" :psyduck: