Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Human Cow posted:

I actually tried this the other night, but it was too noisy to hear much. I could make out the first couple sentences...he was talking about how excited he was to speak to them, and how he was wondering if it sounded like he was on the radio. I've got some record cleaning supplies, so I might try them out on the side that doesn't look like it has anything on it to see if I can clean things up some.

Don't put anything containing alcohol on it, it'll gently caress the acetate layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

eggsovereasy posted:

Barnes & Noble finally mailed the one record I (the King Crimson album) ordered from them during that sale like 2 months ago, so check your email if you were still waiting on something from them.

I only ordered the King Crimson record too and mine is still "processing" :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

nerd

Though I guess I can't talk, I have bought 5 copies of that one King Crimson record.

In my defense, the two US stereo copies were gifts.

Mighty Horse posted:

Well, you wont get the best sound playing a 78 with a 33/45 stylus, but for something like this that's just voice, it would be enough. If you can play it at 45 and record the file on a computer, audacity has a 45 to 78 conversion script that will let it play at the right speed. Might be a little noisy with the wrong needle but passable.

My friend was given a bunch of old records and in there was an aluminum home recorded 78 with no label. Turns out it was some kind of speech practice with a man reading poetry and talking to the teacher here in there from the 20s or 30s.

I'm told that using a standard 33/45 stylus can damage both the stylus and the disc. For something like this, I don't think it would be worth the risk.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Another one of my favourites turned up today ...

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

landofcake posted:

Another one of my favourites turned up today ...

Such a good album. I bought the vinyl version of this back in the day without even owning a turntable just because this album is that good

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
Heads up: if you were interested in getting the Boards of Canada reissues, the albums are on Insound right now, if you don't want to order from Bleep. I think the 10% off code "springsummer2013" still works right now, too. All their Aphex Twin is on sale as well, and they have the reissue of Selected Ambient Works 85-92 on backorder.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
For those with deep pockets and a love for Modest Mouse, here's a copy of "This Is a Long Drive..." for $139, which is actually cheaper than what it has been going for lately.(SOLD)

However, if it sounds anything like "Lonesome Crowded West," it probably isn't a particularly good-sounding record. I can confirm that LCW sounds rather flat and dull (or so I thought last time I played it, which, I'll admit, was some time ago, and on a stereo system that's inferior to what I have now).

As a side note, my mind is boggled that these haven't been repressed yet.

e: The guy also has LCW listed for $139, and it has been going for even more lately(SOLD). Also "Building..." for $119, which is quite reasonable given recent auctions (SOLD). All are 24-hour listings, so maybe he just needs some quick cash(?)

e2: I came close to pouncing on the LCW and trying to flip it for $300, but, eh.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 21, 2013

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Apparently the masters for LCW were lost, which is why it hasn't happened yet. Isaac has said he plans to reissue it, but no idea when.

I just want to spin that album without paying a ridiculous price. :smith:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

CPL593H posted:

In my defense, the two US stereo copies were gifts.

I'm told that using a standard 33/45 stylus can damage both the stylus and the disc. For something like this, I don't think it would be worth the risk.

I have heard this too, but other trusted things I have read is the needle is just narrower and it rides the bottom of the groove. It won't damage anything but might pick up some of the junk in there.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Have any other *shels fans picked up Waves by Mahumodo from shelsmusic? I'm listening to it for the second time now and can't believe how loving good it sounds. So basically if you're on the fence you should totally get it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm selling some fresh, 2012 Pitchfork buzz band vinyl over at the SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571586

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone receive their Studio Ghibli records yet? I was supposed to get mine today but it got sent to the wrong address because Mondo are idiots and is now apparently "Return to Sender" so welp.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Did anyone receive their Studio Ghibli records yet? I was supposed to get mine today but it got sent to the wrong address because Mondo are idiots and is now apparently "Return to Sender" so welp.

I ordered one that's apparently been sent. Still waiting.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Abu Dave posted:

I got my spirited away copy on Saturday that was sent on the 16th. For seven bucks shipping you get media mail...

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Anyone interested in a 1200mk3?
I repainted the top in chartreuse yellow, works perfectly except for the cue light.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

While everyone else is peddling their poo poo I also have some poo poo to peddle. I am selling a few OOP things on eBay which I have listened to like once and can't justify keeping.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

david puddy posted:

While everyone else is peddling their poo poo I also have some poo poo to peddle. I am selling a few OOP things on eBay which I have listened to like once and can't justify keeping.

I am sensing an overarching theme here and that theme is that you're a huge nerd.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I am sensing an overarching theme here and that theme is that you're a huge nerd.

:negative:

Hopefully gonna be a rich nerd by this time next week though

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

:negative:

Hopefully gonna be a rich nerd by this time next week though

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAM BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAM

I had no idea the Batman soundtracks fetched prices like that.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAM BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAM

I had no idea the Batman soundtracks fetched prices like that.

It's why I can't justify keeping them. I really like the Dark Knight OST but it is basically the same music as TDKR's OST so :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

It's why I can't justify keeping them. I really like the Dark Knight OST but it is basically the same music as TDKR's OST so :shrug:

The music is really good in the context of the film, but I don't think I'd ever want to listen to it independently.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

The music is really good in the context of the film, but I don't think I'd ever want to listen to it independently.

I think you said that back when I first got it, haha. I do think 4 sides is a bit much to sit through though, the only 2LP soundtrack I still listen to is Red Dead Redemption's.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I probably wouldn't listen to too many soundtracks on vinyl to be honest. I have and enjoy the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack on vinyl, and I think with Halloween coming, that's gonna get some play time soon.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 24, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

As a counterpoint, "Roll Tide" makes even the most innocuous moments in your life feel super important.

Zimmer's stuff is varied like that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

I think you said that back when I first got it, haha. I do think 4 sides is a bit much to sit through though, the only 2LP soundtrack I still listen to is Red Dead Redemption's.

You're probably right. That does sound like a thing I'd say. You know what is an awesome film score that works great as a stand alone album? Halloween III.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

You're probably right. That does sound like a thing I'd say. You know what is an awesome film score that works great as a stand alone album? Halloween III.

The soundtrack for Night of the Witches or whatever that movies called? I pretty much avoided everything having to do with that film.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

You know what is an awesome film score that works great as a stand alone album? Halloween IIIThere Will Be Blood.

There ain't a vinyl version though. :sigh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

The soundtrack for Night of the Witches or whatever that movies called? I pretty much avoided everything having to do with that film.

Season of the Witch. The original music is great stuff if you're into John Carpenter scores or electronic music played on analog synths.

And I know this is a harder sell, but the movie is kind of cool in its own way. It's by no means a good movie but it has a certain charm and I am very fond of it. I know not everyone will like the movie and I happen to like weird and/or schlocky movies. Regardless the OST is a great piece of art independent of the film.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There ain't a vinyl version though. :sigh:

Apparently there is for the Master, which is the superior film as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, I'm not putting down There Will Be Blood. I'm saying the Master is that loving good.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 24, 2013

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

CPL593H posted:

You know what is an awesome film score that works great as a stand alone album? Halloween III.

Absolutely. I gots me the Death Waltz release and it's an amazing score.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

david puddy posted:

godFUCKINGdammit I would have handed over $150 for both of those Batman OSTs and picked them up on Thursday fellow Brisgoon :(

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Ooooh that copy of 'Images and Words' looks nice

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

godFUCKINGdammit I would have handed over $150 for both of those Batman OSTs and picked them up on Thursday fellow Brisgoon :(

If you bump it up to like $180 I'll cancel the auctions and we can do this thing. I'll happily take a bit of a price hit for convenience but I'm pretty sure TDK alone will sell for like $130-150.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Not particularly valuable, but not very common (at least in my area)... I recently found one of my favorite records from middle/high school:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeees In Utero 20th today

The sticker claims it's a new master. Excited to try it out tonight.

also drat I feel old

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In Utero 20th is awesome! Basically the same album remastered by Albini using modern transfer techniques. Best of all, no brickwalling!

The alternate remix is quite nice although you'll need to buy it from either the Deluxe or Super Deluxe versions (disc 2). The Super Deluxe (minus the DVD and liner notes) is also available on HDtracks.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
drat it, do I really need to buy a fourth copy of In Utero?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

At the very least, the DVD that comes with the gently caress You Give Us Your Money edition is available as a stand alone release.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Yeah, if you don't care about the super deluxe booklet and packaging, I recommend the HDtracks version (all 3 discs) for $60 and $20 for the DVD.

I did break down and order the vinyl version too but it doesn't contain the alternate mix, demos, or concert audio.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Hopefully there will be plenty available in a couple months, because something's up that's about to put the kibosh on my record buying (aside from the orders I already have pending).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Yeah, if you don't care about the super deluxe booklet and packaging, I recommend the HDtracks version (all 3 discs) for $60 and $20 for the DVD.

I did break down and order the vinyl version too but it doesn't contain the alternate mix, demos, or concert audio.

What the hell is the HDtracks version and what does the vinyl version include? Because I saw a three disc (CD) version at Best Buy today for 25 bucks and it has all the material you listed.