Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

TraderStav posted:

The weirdness of iMessage throws a real wrench into the mix. I appreciate the feedback!

If it were me, I might make the extra effort to make iMessage and Facetime and whatever work while I was still filtering all my SMS and calls through GVoice. But for my gf, waaaaaaaaaay too much effort. Just said gently caress it and ported her number to straight talk... hopefully I won't regret that in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
If you set up iMessage/FaceTime with your email and disassociate your disposable number, here's what will happen: other iPhone users will still SMS text your GVoice number. Reply in GVoice app and you wont be iMessaging. When you'll reply in iOS Messaging, your reply will come from your iMessage email. They'll be too obtuse to understand why some new person is responding to the SMS text they just sent. To you it'll be inline in the same thread, but our contact will see a new thread, even if they have your email in their contact book. Then they'll have two messaging threads with your name on it and will pick one seemingly at random when they want to contact you. Every god drat time you message them from your iMessage email, they'll reply, 'who/what is this?' iMessage savvy users will ask, "I thought you had an iPhone?" when they message you and it's green.

I haven't even covered outbound dialing and not being able to use the stock dialer/contact book. Or having to use two apps for messaging. Or getting two notifications for SMS texts if you leave text forwarding on in GVoice. If you want to receive MMS, you have to forward texts to email, so that's three notifications. GVoice is burdensome unless you're on Android, where it's a techno marvel.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 16, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

goku chewbacca posted:

If you set up iMessage/FaceTime with your email and disassociate your disposable number, here's what will happen: other iPhone users will still SMS text your GVoice number. Reply in GVoice app and you wont be iMessaging. When you'll reply in iOS Messaging, your reply will come from your iMessage email. They'll be too obtuse to understand why some new person is responding to the SMS text they just sent. To you it'll be inline in the same thread, but our contact will see a new thread, even if they have your email in their contact book. Then they'll have two messaging threads with your name on it and will pick one seemingly at random when they want to contact you. Every god drat time you message them from your iMessage email, they'll reply, 'who/what is this?' iMessage savvy users will ask, "I thought you had an iPhone?" when they message you and it's green.

I haven't even covered outbound dialing and not being able to use the stock dialer/contact book. Or having to use two apps for messaging. Or getting two notifications for SMS texts if you leave text forwarding on in GVoice. If you want to receive MMS, you have to forward texts to email, so that's three notifications. GVoice is burdensome unless you're on Android, where it's a techno marvel.

So the simplest implementation is to disable iMessage completely and solely use the google voice app losing MMS completely? They almost sounds preferable to having a hodge podge of addresses to give people and just let them know to email me.

If I do not have data is there any way to get them routed to me through text or just always get two notifications for the app and text for that odd case?

Last question: I know you get a special google number when a text forwarded (or called) that you can reply to and it is from the google voice number. This doesn't support mms either, right?

I believe there are some jailbreak tweaks to alleviate some of these pains such as not being able to use the stock dialer. Curious as to what other tweaks are available.

Thanks for the information, its very helpful! You're encouraging me not to do it but the pitfalls may be something I willing to deal with so its appreciated.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A horrifyingly foreign idea just occurred to me also. Since I am farting around with prepaid and have no interest in contracts any longer perhaps I should *gasp* get an android to do it proper and either keep my iPhone 5 or get a touch to fill the gap in apps (or use the ones I've sunk the cash into) during the transition.

Just for a thought exercise: are there any good android phones that aren't the size of pop tarts and don't have crippling battery life. Yes, these are the biases I have about android. :/

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Has anyone been able to bring their own unlocked phone to AT&T GoPhone and get LTE? This would be with an unlocked Android phone with AT&T compatible LTE radios (as soon as I figure out which one to buy). I'd also be porting my number out of Google Voice in the process.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

TraderStav posted:

So the simplest implementation is to disable iMessage completely and solely use the google voice app losing MMS completely? They almost sounds preferable to having a hodge podge of addresses to give people and just let them know to email me.

If I do not have data is there any way to get them routed to me through text or just always get two notifications for the app and text for that odd case?

Last question: I know you get a special google number when a text forwarded (or called) that you can reply to and it is from the google voice number. This doesn't support mms either, right?

I believe there are some jailbreak tweaks to alleviate some of these pains such as not being able to use the stock dialer. Curious as to what other tweaks are available.

Thanks for the information, its very helpful! You're encouraging me not to do it but the pitfalls may be something I willing to deal with so its appreciated.

If most of your contacts are iMessage-able, training them to use your email hopefully won't be too hard. I don't believe there's an SMS fallback for that so that should work fine. If you don't have any mobile data, that might be a problem whenever you're off wifi because iMessage routes over data networks.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

TraderStav posted:

A horrifyingly foreign idea just occurred to me also. Since I am farting around with prepaid and have no interest in contracts any longer perhaps I should *gasp* get an android to do it proper and either keep my iPhone 5 or get a touch to fill the gap in apps (or use the ones I've sunk the cash into) during the transition.

Just for a thought exercise: are there any good android phones that aren't the size of pop tarts and don't have crippling battery life. Yes, these are the biases I have about android. :/

Moto X might fit. Just keep on mind that bigger batteries need bigger phones, so that's why the Note phones and the G2 have the best battery of all gsm phones.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Getting a Nexus 4 or one of the Google Play editions would be my recomendation, then you don't have to deal with all the manufacturer/carrier crapware.

I just use Facebook chat for all my messaging. I find it to be way easier for all involved. Thankfully I don't have many friends with iPhones so the iMessaging thing has never been a problem. I know why Steve made iMessaging the way it is, but I really wish he'd designed something open that everybody could use to replace SMS. Or that Google would finally get around to using GV or other things to destroy SMS, because I know they'd do their best to make it cross platform.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

FISHMANPET posted:

Getting a Nexus 4 or one of the Google Play editions would be my recomendation, then you don't have to deal with all the manufacturer/carrier crapware.

I just use Facebook chat for all my messaging. I find it to be way easier for all involved. Thankfully I don't have many friends with iPhones so the iMessaging thing has never been a problem. I know why Steve made iMessaging the way it is, but I really wish he'd designed something open that everybody could use to replace SMS. Or that Google would finally get around to using GV or other things to destroy SMS, because I know they'd do their best to make it cross platform.

Hangouts is google's proprietary messaging effort.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TraderStav posted:

Seconding the Moto X as the solution for your widdle hands. It apparently walks the walk when it comes to battery life.

If you're willing to deal with Verizon/CDMA poo poo you might also consider the Droid MAXXX which uses battery life as a selling point. That's only on Verizon, though, and let's be serious here you don't loving want anything to do with that demonic nightmare hellride of a company. It may also be too big.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Seeing as how the OP is pretty out of date, has anyone had any experience with H2O wireless? Their pay-as-you-go plan seems pretty useful for me since I won't be needing a data plan (5c per minute calls, minutes expire after 90 days instead of 30, etc). Can anyone say one way or another as to how reliable they are?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

As Nero Danced posted:

Seeing as how the OP is pretty out of date, has anyone had any experience with H2O wireless? Their pay-as-you-go plan seems pretty useful for me since I won't be needing a data plan (5c per minute calls, minutes expire after 90 days instead of 30, etc). Can anyone say one way or another as to how reliable they are?

I got my parents an $80 prepaid card on pageplus since they don't need data either... last a year and i think it gives 2000 minutes. I think platinumtel has something similar.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can someone with an unjailbroken iPhone on net10 let me know how easy it is to get the phone working with data on the service? Is the only feature you're missing MMS? I have been jailbroken for so long I have forgotten if it's even possible to roll net10 without a jailbreak.

The obvious reason is that I want to update to iOS7 and still maintain basic functionality of my phone. I can do without MMS.

That being said, can anyone speak of the same with an unjailbroken phone and AIO?

I've basically abandoned by idea of going to Google Voice & Android. Too complex of a move (transitioning apps, data, use behaviors, etc) for minimal gain. I love my iPhone, what can I say?

Thanks in advance!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Can someone with an unjailbroken iPhone on net10 let me know how easy it is to get the phone working with data on the service? Is the only feature you're missing MMS? I have been jailbroken for so long I have forgotten if it's even possible to roll net10 without a jailbreak.

The obvious reason is that I want to update to iOS7 and still maintain basic functionality of my phone. I can do without MMS.

That being said, can anyone speak of the same with an unjailbroken phone and AIO?

I've basically abandoned by idea of going to Google Voice & Android. Too complex of a move (transitioning apps, data, use behaviors, etc) for minimal gain. I love my iPhone, what can I say?

Thanks in advance!

Net10 or StraightTalk on a non-jailbroken iPhone is easy. You just need http://www.unlockit.co.nz/, visit that with safari and install the correct APN. Restart and good to go.

Yeah, MMS doesn't work unless you can do the SIM swap trick. No guarantee that works on iOS7 though, I haven't tried it, though if you do it on iOS6 I'd assume it would carry over. If you can just use iMessage or other chat apps then you don't have to worry about stupid MMS anyway.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 19, 2013

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

Net10 or StraightTalk on a non-jailbroken iPhone is easy. You just need http://www.unlockit.co.nz/, visit that with safari and install the correct APN. Restart and good to go.

Thanks! I will try that. Do the settings persist? I frequently have to go into the APN settings and re-enter them as they get reset to 'phone'. I will experiment today, clear the settings, uninstall the jailbreak app and install that APN.

Appreciate the feedback.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Thanks! I will try that. Do the settings persist? I frequently have to go into the APN settings and re-enter them as they get reset to 'phone'. I will experiment today, clear the settings, uninstall the jailbreak app and install that APN.

Appreciate the feedback.

Do they persist? Um, if you install the profile they should persist. I've never really dicked around with changing APN settings on the iPhone after I had installed the profile.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

Do they persist? Um, if you install the profile they should persist. I've never really dicked around with changing APN settings on the iPhone after I had installed the profile.

When I was jailbroken I didn't have the profile installed, just manually had the settings input in the Cellular settings menu. To get to that menu (with net10 at least) you have to jailbreak and install TetherMe. Seems like the settings are forgotten every so often. This is how I was able to get MMS on net10, but seeing as 99% of the people I MMS with are on iMessage, I really don't need that and can simplify my life and go unjailbroken. I have already set up the profile and it's working just fine. Just need to update to iOS7 now.

Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

Has anyone been able to bring their own unlocked phone to AT&T GoPhone and get LTE? This would be with an unlocked Android phone with AT&T compatible LTE radios (as soon as I figure out which one to buy). I'd also be porting my number out of Google Voice in the process.

Fyi this will work, ATT officially allows LTE on gophones. I would say you are on your own if you have to program it to see the network though. And speeds may be not as fast, although they're unclear on that.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Straight Talk may have the worst customer service I've ever dealt with. I was going to let my T-Mobile plan expire and switch to ST to get better reception/more consistent 4G access. I ordered a micro-sim and a service card, and they gave free overnight shipping, signature required. No problem, maybe I'll be home when FedEx comes and if not I can always sign the slip authorizing them to leave the package at the door. FedEx comes and leaves the slip, but they put a "VOID" in the signature box because ST won't let them accept it (I've never had this happen, even with items far more valuable than a piece of cheap thin plastic).

FedEx has been coming around 11AM to try and drop it off, but they can't because I'm not there. I have no reasonable way to get to the FedEx center to pick up the box. I tried to call Straight Talk to see if they could just tell FedEx it's OK to drop it off and as far as I can tell there's no way to get directly to a representative and the phone tree is poorly laid out. It seems that you need to actually have a ST number to talk to someone. I tried the web chat and got a person who didn't read anything I wrote and just offered the same copy/paste non sequiturs over and over again before telling me to call the number and then abruptly leaving. I've never had a company be so resistant to taking my money before. Once FedEx sends it back to them, I'll hopefully get a refund. I'm just sticking with T-Mobile, which isn't perfect but did at least make getting the service as painless as possible.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

shipping woes

have it shipped to your office? and yeah, I agree that is ridiculous.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
People bitch when they have sig required and actually enforce it. ("Why not just leave it on the doorstep you morons?!")
People bitch when they have sig required and don't enforce it. ("God damnit it says it requires a signature why did you leave it on the doorstep?!")
People bitch when they don't require a sig. ("It's a $500 package and they didn't even ask for a signature?!")

There's really no way for companies to win here.
Never had issues with theft myself before, though I did have a UPS driver that kept leaving packages next door (I watched him do it a couple times before I ran out when I heard the truck and reminded him 3277 is this house not that house).

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 19, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Republic Wireless (the Sprint MVNO that has the hybrid Wifi calling) is going to be selling the Moto X starting in November at $299 off contract.

http://www.republicwireless.com/moto-x-faqs

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

SB35 posted:

have it shipped to your office? and yeah, I agree that is ridiculous.

I should have thought of that ahead of time, but I didn't foresee it happening like this.

ilkhan posted:

People bitch when they have sig required and actually enforce it. ("Why not just leave it on the doorstep you morons?!")
People bitch when they have sig required and don't enforce it. ("God damnit it says it requires a signature why did you leave it on the doorstep?!")
People bitch when they don't require a sig. ("It's a $500 package and they didn't even ask for a signature?!")

There's really no way for companies to win here.
Never had issues with theft myself before, though I did have a UPS driver that kept leaving packages next door (I watched him do it a couple times before I ran out when I heard the truck and reminded him 3277 is this house not that house).

Don't get me wrong, I understand that they don't want the shipment to get stolen so I completely understand the signature requirement. I just don't understand why they wouldn't let me sign the FedEx door hanger, which is pretty standard for everything else (as in they specifically disallowed it). I've had $1200 guitars shipped here without such stringent restriction.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

I should have thought of that ahead of time, but I didn't foresee it happening like this.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that they don't want the shipment to get stolen so I completely understand the signature requirement. I just don't understand why they wouldn't let me sign the FedEx door hanger, which is pretty standard for everything else (as in they specifically disallowed it). I've had $1200 guitars shipped here without such stringent restriction.

I've had FedEx leave unwrapped packages with no boxes around them to conceal what they are on the front porch. Almost lost a $300 printer that way.

In other news, going to be switching to AIO Wireless tomorrow.

Also, for anyone expecting the third month free, you need to sign up for automatic payments. This applies even if you're signing up online OR in an AIO Wireless store. The website doesn't specifically say this, but if you didn't get a text message saying that you've qualified for the 3rd free month, then you do not have it.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Lblitzer posted:

Republic Wireless (the Sprint MVNO that has the hybrid Wifi calling) is going to be selling the Moto X starting in November at $299 off contract.

Additionally, Republic is a Sprint MVNO that has voice and data roaming, unlike some other Sprint MVNOs.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've had FedEx leave unwrapped packages with no boxes around them to conceal what they are on the front porch. Almost lost a $300 printer that way.

In other news, going to be switching to AIO Wireless tomorrow.

Also, for anyone expecting the third month free, you need to sign up for automatic payments. This applies even if you're signing up online OR in an AIO Wireless store. The website doesn't specifically say this, but if you didn't get a text message saying that you've qualified for the 3rd free month, then you do not have it.

Please give a trip report. I've got a pretty good thing going but it's on Sprint service (price I'm paying) but apparently they only cover outdoors.

I'm hoping for a new Nexus soon as the 4 is now sold out and I think I want to go with ATT instead of TMo even though I'm in a TMo LTE city and have decent coverage. It seems like ATT is more realiable (with the lower freq access) and I guess I'm willing to fork out an extra $40 just to have it work more often.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lblitzer posted:

Very interesting. I don't have WiFi at work: how are they about streaming videos (Netflix and YouTube)? Yes, it says unlimited data on WiFi, but what about on 3G/4G?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Uthor posted:

Very interesting. I don't have WiFi at work: how are they about streaming videos (Netflix and YouTube)? Yes, it says unlimited data on WiFi, but what about on 3G/4G?

They go off the honor system and ask that you use wifi whenever possible, they obviously don't want you to abuse the unlimited data but will take action if you repeatedly do.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Uthor posted:

Considering Sprints Network, heh, i don't think that'll be a problem.

Unless they've improved the network, the last time i used a Sprint MVNO (virgin mobile), the thought of streaming video was a hilarious one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Please give a trip report. I've got a pretty good thing going but it's on Sprint service (price I'm paying) but apparently they only cover outdoors.

I'm hoping for a new Nexus soon as the 4 is now sold out and I think I want to go with ATT instead of TMo even though I'm in a TMo LTE city and have decent coverage. It seems like ATT is more realiable (with the lower freq access) and I guess I'm willing to fork out an extra $40 just to have it work more often.

Definitely will. I'll be ordering the SIM tomorrow and I'll just document my whole experience for a while. :v:

I'm ok with no roaming as I barely roam anyway and no short codes is ok since they might be adding them soon. If not, ok then.

I'm looking forward to streaming YouTube and Play Music when I want to and not worrying about data for once..

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
With Google voice do you have to use the voice app to send texts "from" your voice number of does it spoof it for texts send With the standard messaging app?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ilkhan posted:

With Google voice do you have to use the voice app to send texts "from" your voice number of does it spoof it for texts send With the standard messaging app?

You can do one or the other.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Unless they've improved the network, the last time i used a Sprint MVNO (virgin mobile), the thought of streaming video was a hilarious one.

*sigh* I'm currently looking to switch to Virgin Mobile cause TMobile doesn't have service in my house and I'm going to miss the 5 gb of data I currently enjoy. I just don't really want to get an S3 and a Moto X would be much nicer.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just switched over to the $30 unlimited text/5gb data/100 minute prepaid plan from T-Mobile.

Thing is, I use probably 200 minutes a month in calling. There is the option of paying $.10 per minute for extra minutes, but I'm trying to save money here. So I came up with a better idea:

First I signed up for a free SIP account with Anveo. This free account can't make outgoing calls, but has unlimited free incoming calls. Unfortunately, they don't provide a native phone number to you with the free account.

To solve this, I signed up for a free DID number with IPKall. This gives you a phone number that you can then associate to your Anveo account using your Anveo credentials.

Finally, I used my Google Voice account to forward all calls (but NOT texts) to my IPKall number.

I use iOS, so the end result is that I use the Google Voice app to dial out using Click2Call. I immediately get a call back through my preferred SIP app (Bria, which is excellent!) that is configured with my Anveo credentials = free VOIP calling to anyone in the US. My GV number is the number displayed to people's caller ID when I call, so no need to ever give anyone your IPKall number. If anyone calls me using my GV number and I don't pick up, the call goes to GV voicemail, per usual, and texts come through the GV app too.

Feels good to pay $30 a month for basically Unlimited x 3, and I live in an area with refarmed spectrum, so I get plenty-fast speed for VOIP almost anywhere I'd need to make a call. And I always have my 100 regular minutes as a backup.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 20, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Uthor posted:

*sigh* I'm currently looking to switch to Virgin Mobile cause TMobile doesn't have service in my house and I'm going to miss the 5 gb of data I currently enjoy. I just don't really want to get an S3 and a Moto X would be much nicer.

You don't have wifi at home and/or a wifi calling capable phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="419661858"]
You don't have wifi at home and/or a wifi calling capable phone?

Not a wifi calling capable phone (unless I missed something; Galaxy Nexus). I haven't found a wifi calling solution that works for me and I don't want to deal with two phone numbers (porting my number to Google Voice doesn't work for me as I send/receive too many MMS).

In the end, having one number and service at home is most important to me.

Ideally, TMobile will just put up a new tower to fill in the one dead zone I encounter in this town, but I doubt they'll go to that length to keep a $30/customer.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Well you could get a different phone thats tmo branded with their wifi calling built in. wifi calling is pretty sweet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Long Francesco posted:

Well you could get a different phone thats tmo branded with their wifi calling built in. wifi calling is pretty sweet.

Huh, good idea. What's the best phone with that ability? Seems like the S4, but, dang, $600+.

I'm assuming it had to be a TMobile phone, right?

Edit: $500 for the Sony Xperia Z. Hmm.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 20, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Yeah its gotta be branded and running the stock rom, pretty much any phone they have should support it except the nexus. As far as I know no one has been able to port it to different roms because its built deep into the os or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Do you know of rooting breaks it? I'd like to root for some things (TiBackup, for one), but don't really need a custom ROM as I can make due with running Apex on top of whatever.

• Locked thread