Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Juando290 posted:

I know what you are talking about. I have a workaround for you. Don't search by name right off the bat, go through categories first and choose the category you want, then search by name and then tell it to sort by distance to travel. That is the one major bug I have been able to find in the navigation for the Hondas.

Fun fact, if you have a crv or civic from last generation with the DVD based navi (where the DVD is in the head unit itself) you can play regular movie DVDs in it. I tried it out of random curiosity and it worked. Obviously, honda never advertised that feature, haha.

Awesome, thanks a lot I will try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For those of you in the market for a 2013/2014 mid sizer, do not buy the Nissan Altima.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

For those of you in the market for a 2013/2014 mid sizer, do not buy the Nissan Altima.

Any particular reason?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm curious as well, an extended family member just bought one and seems pleased for the price paid. It's just a pretty basic SV trim Altima.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Engine underwhelming, seats awful (S), interior covered in that heinous mouse fur cloth that Nissan loves, cvt is bad, mirrors awkwardly small, handles like poo poo and doesn't ride well either.

Offhand, its redeeming features are a decent Bluetooth hands free system and a pretty well laid out interior. Basically everything else in the class is better.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.
Btw, I checked out the new 2014 Carolla today for a customer, impressed with the new generation. Led headlights standard. A little lacking in the horsepower departments, but the interior volume grew to 115 cubic feet, trunk got larger too (half a cubic foot more than the civic and the interior beats the civic by almost 5 cubic feet) power seats available on the top trim...not many in this segment offer that. Still like that the civic gets better gas milage out of more power with a 5 speed auto instead of getting a CVT, but overall, a good update.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I realize I'm not going to get anything that hits every requirement on the button, but I'd appreciate some input from the goon automind.

My ideal car: VW GTI, Focus ST, Subaru WRX, Acura TL SH-AWD
My realistic current preference: Subaru Forester XT
My wife's ideal: Mercedes C-Series

Proposed Budget: 25-45k
New or Used: Either.
Body Style: from compact sedan up to midsize CUV. SUVs are an option but I'm just not that keen on all-out SUVs.
How will you be using the car?: Occasional commuting; at weekends, need to transport 2 heavy mountain bikes, and/or some 190cm skis (definitely open to roof racks for the skis, would prefer to reuse 2" hitch bike rack for the bikes). We do up to 10 drives in light to very heavy snow each year (mountain passes, rural driving) so 4WD or FWD is preferred over RWD. I'm 6'4", 240lbs which can be relevant to certain cars. We'd also like to be able to drive parents around when they visit, with luggage.
What aspects are most important to you? In the next 10 years, this may be the window where I can get a car that's focused on performance, but it has to be wife-friendly as well. Her priorities are heated seats and, ideally, a 3-pointed star but she's open to options. I'd like something that handles well and is well under 7 seconds 0-60.

Currently we're driving a Honda Element AWD - love the practicality and the reliability, ability to throw 4 bikes on the back and 4 dirty bikers inside with luggage and room to spare, but dislike the performance, looks, refinement and interior.

Thoughts so far:
Focus ST: poor support for roof racks and hitch racks. No 4WD option.
Forester XT: a little soft for a performance option? Ticks most of the other boxes though, has factory roofbars.
Outback: High-end models too thirsty, lower end models not fast enough. Factory crossbars.
GTI: maybe a little small when luggage etc is considered, but drives like a champ and rack provision isn't bad
C-Series: 4matic 300 looks interesting but is pushing way towards the top of the budget, luggage options are limited beyond the sedan trunk.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 17, 2013

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

You stopped toe curlin in the hot tub cause you heard sperms stay alive in there and you have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles enough times to know how that story ends.

One Swell Foop posted:

I realize I'm not going to get anything that hits every requirement on the button, but I'd appreciate some input from the goon automind.

Body Style: from compact sedan up to midsize CUV. SUVs are an option but I'm just not that keen on all-out SUVs.
How will you be using the car?: Occasional commuting; at weekends, need to transport 2 heavy mountain bikes, and/or some 190cm skis (definitely open to roof racks for the skis, would prefer to reuse 2" hitch bike rack for the bikes). We do up to 10 drives in light to very heavy snow each year (mountain passes, rural driving) so 4WD or FWD is preferred over RWD. I'm 6'4", 240lbs which can be relevant to certain cars. We'd also like to be able to drive parents around when they visit, with luggage.
What aspects are most important to you? In the next 10 years, this may be the window where I can get a car that's focused on performance, but it has to be wife-friendly as well. Her priorities are heated seats and, ideally, a 3-pointed star but she's open to options. I'd like something that handles well and is well under 7 seconds 0-60.

Currently we're driving a Honda Element AWD - love the practicality and the reliability, ability to throw 4 bikes on the back and 4 dirty bikers inside with luggage and room to spare, but dislike the performance, looks, refinement and interior.

Thoughts so far:
Forester XT: a little soft for a performance option? Ticks most of the other boxes though, has factory roofbars.
Outback: High-end models too thirsty, lower end models not fast enough. Factory crossbars.
GTI: maybe a little small when luggage etc is considered, but drives like a champ and rack provision isn't bad
C-Series: 4matic 300 looks interesting but is pushing way towards the top of the budget, luggage options are limited beyond the sedan trunk.

You might want to look at the Acura RDX. The 2013 gets 28 mpg highway and 20 city, so better than your element, but also can do 0-60 in about 6.1 seconds. The older version (before 2013) had a 4 cylinder turbo instead of the 3.5 V6, but got worse gas milage and slower acceleration. It has the space up front and rear seats have room as well, even with the front seats pushed all the way back. And unlike the TL, it won't ruin the look of the vehicle to have a trailer hitch on it or a roof rack. No sh-AWD on the 2013, but the predictive awd that is on the honda CRV (rather, the CRV has the Acuras predictive AWD if I am going to be nitpicky about what vehicle is using the others tech) so it will dynamically transfer torque in different driving situations, not just when it loses grip up front.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Engine underwhelming, seats awful (S), interior covered in that heinous mouse fur cloth that Nissan loves, cvt is bad, mirrors awkwardly small, handles like poo poo and doesn't ride well either.

Offhand, its redeeming features are a decent Bluetooth hands free system and a pretty well laid out interior. Basically everything else in the class is better.

It's not a driver's car, but OTOH the 4 cyl CVT gets the best in class fuel economy for non-hybrids, and it has a couple things like a washer for the rear view camera and when you are putting air in the tires the TPMS will toot the horn when the pressure reaches the correct level.

Most people who are shopping these cars are sensitive to price too, and truecar shows Altima transaction prices are pretty depressed for a Japanese car, you could probably pick up an Altima for a grand or 2 less than an Accord or Camry. It will get you to work, not use a lot of gas, and isn't a VW or Chrysler, so not a bad deal IMO.

One Swell Foop posted:

Thoughts so far:

They're not easy to find and you may have to look in the US, but you could get into a 2009-ish ML63 AMG for around $40k, it does have the big boy version (510hp @ 6800rpm) of the 6.2l V8 and seems like it would fit the rest of your needs.

Does the wife consider Porsche to be equal in prestige to Mercedes? If so a Cayenne S from around the same era would be similar in price. On the one hand it will be down significantly in horsepower and they are horrendously ugly both inside and out, but supposedly will handle better and you don't *have* to have air suspension(The Merc has Airmatic standard I believe, I'm sure the AMG version does) which would probably save you a bit of money in maintenance down the road.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're that price sensitive you shouldn't be buying new, and I can't imagine residuals will be all that good.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I wouldn't say we're THAT price sensitive because we'll be keeping this car for a good few years, all being well, but your point's taken. Bear in mind we're in Canada so we get 12% sales tax plus freight, PDI and other charges on top of the list price, and my understanding is that the discounts aren't as deep as they are south of the border. A lightly used model is probably the best option; I'm just a little wary of 'lightly used' hot hatches, and there also seem to be some very nice engines coming through this year.

The RDX could be a good option; I don't like Cayennes, or BMW Xs for that matter, just a personal preference. Also the idea of taking a huge car and making it quick with an enormous engine isn't as attractive as a well tuned smaller car, but then I realize that I'm going to have to compromise somewhere.

Thanks for the input!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Proposed Budget: $20k
Body Style: Small Coupe or Sedan
Use: Commuting and almost daily to go on customer sites that may be a few hundred miles out of town and North Dakota roads aren't known for being the best
Desires: Balance between comfort and fun. Manual preferred. Leaning towards AWD.

Here's what I've thought about...

Impreza / Lancer - The new 2012 model can be had for $17,000 with a manual transmission which sounds like a great deal but the more read about it the more bored I get.

Impreza WRX / Lancer Evo X - Really exciting but things get out my budget. Not sure how insurance would feel about this.

Audi A4 - A few grand over, cost to insure is surprisingly more affordable than I thought.

BMW 328xi - Same as above, but it's hard to find one in stick.

BMW 128i - Affordable fun but I'm afraid I'd get stuck one day?

Am I missing any particular brands/models?

Update - Looks like Subaru had a Impreza 2.5GT for a while but it's incredibly difficult to find.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 18, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Audis aren't known for reliability and getting it fixed anywhere but Fargo or maybe Minot will be next to impossible.
I'd say the latter part for the BMWs too.

A WRX should be easily achievable within your price range. Don't rule out a legacy GT either. Bigger, nicer inside, basically the same motor.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I've been reading the thread but not posting, so I had to go a few pages back to find this, but I've been having luck looking at cars.

Veinless posted:

A well-maintained Crown Victoria would meet your criteria of a reliable sofa-on-wheels.
Thanks for this advice. I decided to look at all Panther platform cars in the area, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a Merc Grand Marquis. Now I have a question about financing.

I can buy the car outright, but if I finance for a short term (1 year, and half of the purchase price or less I dunno) would that help my credit rating? I'm in the 500s because I lost my job back in 2008 and maxed my credit cards and got kicked out of my apartment. All that has been settled and I have a proper financial cushion and a credit card with a $1k limit that I pay off every month, so I'm wondering if getting a short term car note would help get that rating up to the 700s.

Just floating this by the BFC part of the thread.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

nm posted:

Audis aren't known for reliability and getting it fixed anywhere but Fargo or maybe Minot will be next to impossible.
I'd say the latter part for the BMWs too.

A WRX should be easily achievable within your price range. Don't rule out a legacy GT either. Bigger, nicer inside, basically the same motor.

There's an actual VW dealership in Fargo and plenty of independent shops that'll work on BMWs.

The legacy is quite affordable but I just don't like big cars but the Legacy GT is certainly affordable.

What sites would I use to find cars? I've got carsoup.com, autotrader.com, cars.com.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
An 09 legacy is anything but big.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you are driving that far, you will want the wheelbase of the LGT compared to the Impreza. I remember when Imprezas were still tooling around on 99" wheelbases :corsair:

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
So my 01 Ford explorer sport (who the gently caress thought a 2door SUV was a good idea, the time machine needs too be invented just so this guy can be shot) grenaded its alternator today, and, thanks to letting my father drive it, it's getting to that point where its more money to fix than the car is worth.

Now, there's an XC90 for sale a couple miles away that I've been eyeing even before today's events. It's a sharp looking SUV and from everything I've heard it should do great in the NH winters. The thing looks like it's in great condition and is owned by one of the older money/not shitbags of the town, so I doubt its been beaten on.
I've never owned a European car/truck/SUV before, are they hideously more expensive to maintain than my previous Toyota's and Fords?

If I stop to have a look tomorrow (gently caress this 200c rental. Ugh.), and the price is right, what are the things I should look out for?

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
Proposed Budget: $4-6k
Used for sure
Body Style: Small Coupe or Sedan
Use: Commuting plus small amounts of weekend fun
Desires: Manual or Automatic, ideally 4 or possibly 5 seats. I've loved the incredibly cheap aftermarket replacement parts for my 02 V6 EX Accord (some of the roads I unwisely decided to drive on just tore through bumpers, but at $50 a pop plus 70ish painting it wasn't the end of the world). I will be much more gentle with this car and I'm mostly eyeing 5th gen Preludes. I'm very willing to spend a few thousand on non-essential repairs over the $4-6k price. This vehicle needs to be comparable to or slightly faster than the Accord it will be replacing. Gas mileage is not a particularly major concern.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Proposed Budget: used: 15-20k, new: 25-35k (ish, can stretch if needed)
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Wagon, or wagon-ish. Not big on CUVs
How will you be using the car?: Will basically be living out of my car + airbnb for the next while. Currently have a midsize sedan, but need a bit more room for 2 bicycles inside + some room for crap. Mostly highway driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is a big one. Planning on doing long-distance driving without a regular mechanic, so the less unscheduled maintenance the better. Cargo room and fuel economy also important. At least aux in.

Looking at replacing an 03 Accord EX with 200k km. I can fit two bikes in the rear seat after removing both wheels, but only one without too much disassembly. The Fit is really close to what I'm looking for, size-wise but just a touch too small. Also revs a bit high on the highway.
Other options?
Mazda6 wagon? I think the last year for these was 2008. I'm leaning this way right now, and if the 2014 Mazda6 wagon were offered here, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Prius? It's hybrid-ness doesn't really help on the highway. Not sure about interior space.
A3 seems a little small.
Imprezas are too small and Outbacks border on CUV-land.
I don't know anything about the Golf Wagon.
Don't like the Crosstour.

Haven't driven anything else, just trying to narrow down options first and see if it makes sense.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

spoof posted:

How will you be using the car?: Will basically be living out of my car + airbnb for the next while. Currently have a midsize sedan, but need a bit more room for 2 bicycles inside + some room for crap. Mostly highway driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability is a big one. Planning on doing long-distance driving without a regular mechanic, so the less unscheduled maintenance the better. Cargo room and fuel economy also important. At least aux in.

Looking at replacing an 03 Accord EX with 200k km. I can fit two bikes in the rear seat after removing both wheels, but only one without too much disassembly. The Fit is really close to what I'm looking for, size-wise but just a touch too small. Also revs a bit high on the highway.
Other options?
Mazda6 wagon? I think the last year for these was 2008. I'm leaning this way right now, and if the 2014 Mazda6 wagon were offered here, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Prius? It's hybrid-ness doesn't really help on the highway. Not sure about interior space.
A3 seems a little small.

Haven't driven anything else, just trying to narrow down options first and see if it makes sense.

1 or 2 year old Dodge Caravan would be the best for your purposes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

spoof posted:

You think this why? Hybrids don't get as good fuel economy on they hwy as city, but you're still flirting with 50mpg which pretty much kicks the crap out of everything else.
That said, they don't have that much room in the back like you want.

There's the comedy option new of a Transit Connect, though the fuel economy is worse than i would have thought.

Mazda 5 might work, a bit smaller than other minivans.

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

spoof posted:

Other options?
A3 seems a little small.

Don't be afraid if the fits high rev. There is a reason it's redline is all the way up any 7000 rpm. Oddly enough, it is Hondas most reliable vehicle out of their whole lineup. And on average, they have the lowest cost of ownership and spend less days in the shop per year than any other single vehicle in the united states, and it has aux and USB standard on the newer ones (past couple years). Downside is it is probably the loudest of the bunch that you are looking at on the highway (in terms of road noise). Prius looks like it has space, but doesn't have much more than your accord.

Acura TSX wagon? If you can find one. Edmunds has it ranked in their top two for under $35k, and US news did a ranking of the top seven wagons and the TSX came up number two behind the outback (and surprise, it tied for first in reliability....with the Crosstour)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Munnin The Crab posted:

So my 01 Ford explorer sport (who the gently caress thought a 2door SUV was a good idea, the time machine needs too be invented just so this guy can be shot)

You mean, like the Jeep Cherokee XJ two-door SUV, that more or less single-handedly launched the modern concept of the compact SUV? Or the Bronco, of OJ Simpson fame? Or like the GMC Jimmy/Chevy Blazer, or the Bronco II?

2-door SUVs have been around since the advent of the SUV, basically.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Juando290 posted:

Don't be afraid if the fits high rev. There is a reason it's redline is all the way up any 7000 rpm. Oddly enough, it is Hondas most reliable vehicle out of their whole lineup. And on average, they have the lowest cost of ownership and spend less days in the shop per year than any other single vehicle in the united states, and it has aux and USB standard on the newer ones (past couple years). Downside is it is probably the loudest of the bunch that you are looking at on the highway (in terms of road noise). Prius looks like it has space, but doesn't have much more than your accord.

Acura TSX wagon? If you can find one. Edmunds has it ranked in their top two for under $35k, and US news did a ranking of the top seven wagons and the TSX came up number two behind the outback (and surprise, it tied for first in reliability....with the Crosstour)

A coworker just bought an 08 or 09 Fit, so I'll try to borrow it for a night to see if my junk will fit in there. These things don't seem to depreciate very much, so it would definitely be a "new" buy.

The TSX wagon was never sold in Canada, but it is allowed to be imported. I would lose any warranty coverage, which is kind of a dick move by Honda. Buffalo craigslist didn't find one, but I'll try a bigger area. Still worth looking at without a warranty?

nm posted:

You think this why? Hybrids don't get as good fuel economy on they hwy as city, but you're still flirting with 50mpg which pretty much kicks the crap out of everything else.
That said, they don't have that much room in the back like you want.

There's the comedy option new of a Transit Connect, though the fuel economy is worse than i would have thought.

Mazda 5 might work, a bit smaller than other minivans.

I figured that on the highway it wouldn't have much use for the batteries, and be on the little gas engine full time, but clearly that's off-base. Another coworker has one of these that I can check out.

Hadn't thought of the Mazda5, but that might work. Maybe a bit bigger than I was thinking.

Throatwarbler posted:

1 or 2 year old Dodge Caravan would be the best for your purposes.

Drove a 93 Caravan while at university. Not quite ready to go back to that yet.

To clarify, not planning on sleeping in the car or anything, just carting my junk from place to place. I'd also considered the comedy importing a final year VW bus from Brazil option, but a) they're 22k (36k! for a Last Edition), and b) illegal to import anyway. Also, deathtraps.

edit: Honda Element? SUV but seem big enough. They're ugly, but they're my kind of ugly.

spoof fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 19, 2013

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

spoof posted:

A coworker just bought an 08 or 09 Fit, so I'll try to borrow it for a night to see if my junk will fit in there. These things don't seem to depreciate very much, so it would definitely be a "new" buy.

The TSX wagon was never sold in Canada, but it is allowed to be imported. I would lose any warranty coverage, which is kind of a dick move by Honda. Buffalo craigslist didn't find one, but I'll try a bigger area. Still worth looking at without a warranty?

I figured that on the highway it wouldn't have much use for the batteries, and be on the little gas engine full time, but clearly that's off-base. Another coworker has one of these that I can check out.

Hadn't thought of the Mazda5, but that might work. Maybe a bit bigger than I was thinking.

Drove a 93 Caravan while at university. Not quite ready to go back to that yet.

To clarify, not planning on sleeping in the car or anything, just carting my junk from place to place. I'd also considered the comedy importing a final year VW bus from Brazil option, but a) they're 22k (36k! for a Last Edition), and b) illegal to import anyway. Also, deathtraps.

edit: Honda Element? SUV but seem big enough. They're ugly, but they're my kind of ugly.

Mechanically, the element is a CRV with a box for a body. Cost of ownership in repairs is low...but again, loud as gently caress, I will admit, visibility is a bit diminished, and gas milage is crap due to lack of anything considered "aerodynamic". It also only seats four, due to their awesome fold up seats. If you never have passengers, it is one of the more versatile vehicles that non military personell can buy legally for under $25k.

On the fit side, if it is a 2008 that you are going to be driving, keep in mind that it is smaller and louder than a 2013.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So my dad finally (and reluctantly) got rid of his 1998 Passat after 15 years and is looking to get a new car. As I understand them, here are his criteria:

Proposed Budget: 25k or less

New or Used: New or very close to it

Body Style: Wagon, hatch, sedan - nothing larger than a midsize, ideally a large compact

How will you be using the car?: Commuting, running errands; road trips; road trips where he will need to carry an antique canoe on the roof. Also, the area he lives in gets snow pretty often and is hilly.

What aspects are most important to you? To ME, reliability is important, because my dad was totally in denial about how much time his VW spent in the shop. But my dad wants good gas mileage, manual transmission (mandatory), and, as mentioned above, the ability to carry his canoe.

Right now, he tells me he has narrowed it down to either a FIAT 500L or a Dodge Dart. He was thinking about a new Mazda3 HB, but the way its LCD is mounted on the Touring version (the only version with manual transmission) was very distracting to him and he felt unsafe. He's also mentioned the Impreza, but his mechanic is very skeptical about them so he's probably not going to want to go that route.

What would y'all suggest, between the 500 and the Dart? Anything else he should consider, like maybe a Focus?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Impreza is dead nuts reliable, the only thing is that Subaru clutches and transmissions are both pretty horrible and gas mileage sucks due to the weight penalty of the drivetrain.

Cars I would recommend taking a look at would be:

Honda Fit
Mazda 6 (2014+)
Subaru Impreza
Ford Focus
Scion xB

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Set up a test drive of the CLA 250 for Saturday. I'm really curious to see first hand what the fit and finish is like on a $33K Mercedes. I heard some dudes in Northern California are trying to get a group buy or something going and have been offered like 6% off invoice which I'd like to see if they can match. I won't be buying until Decemberish so hopefully the initial heat will die down.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

The Impreza is dead nuts reliable, the only thing is that Subaru clutches and transmissions are both pretty horrible and gas mileage sucks due to the weight penalty of the drivetrain.

Cars I would recommend taking a look at would be:

Honda Fit
Mazda 6 (2014+)
Subaru Impreza
Ford Focus
Scion xB

The new CVT non-turbo subarus actually have pretty decent FE for AWD cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

nm posted:

He wants a manual. :mexico:

I want to say the Cruze too but apparently those things are still selling for pretty high (read: Civic level) prices, a testament to how good it was when it came out 4 years ago.

You can however get a brand new base Focus for like $13k, the transmission is only a 5 speed but that's not a bad deal.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Juando290 posted:

On the fit side, if it is a 2008 that you are going to be driving, keep in mind that it is smaller and louder than a 2013.

Coworker brought the Fit over tonight (an '08), and wow, lots of stuff fits in the back with the seats down. Definitely meets my storage needs, and can almost get 2 for the price of 1 TSX wagon.

Given the residuals, does it make sense to buy a Fit used? Honda is offering to finance @ 0.99% for 36 months (total cost of borrowing: $342.51 assuming MSRP). On the other hand, not much has changed since 2011 and the last refresh was in 2007.

Wait, looks like a new generation for 2014? Launching in Japan in September but Canada closer to the new year? That's... inconvenient seeing as how I was hoping to close within a few weeks. First year of a new generation, and first to be built in Mexico. Red flags, if I can wait?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Honda Fit should be bought new since the used market for them is completely ridiculous. While you might be able to score a few grand off of a new one, it will be out of warranty and the maintenance records might leave a lot to be desired.

Glad you like the Fit, I was skeptical of the Magic Seats until I saw them in action.

nm posted:

The non-manual Subarus have part time AWD, I think it's the clutch pack job that every other manufacturer has. The manual Subarus still have full time AWD and the drivetrain FE losses to prove it.

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 20, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

The non-manual Subarus have part time AWD, I think it's the clutch pack job that every other manufacturer has. The manual Subarus still have full time AWD and the drivetrain FE losses to prove it.

Nope, the CVT is full time (I think a 60/40 split?). You're thinking of the 4-speed. Subaru has had like 12 awd systems in the last 20 years.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
OK everyone who wants to know more about this stuff go read this:

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/all+wheel+drive+explained/#automatic_all_wheel_drive

They also have reasonably complete explanations for what kind of system various different cars use,with cutaways of the transmission and everything.

No one is necessarily wrong here, it's just that there isn't really any accepted standard definition for what "full time" means so the carmakers can call anything anything they want. Here's my train of thought on the Subaru CVT system: "Full time" to me means that all 4 wheels are getting torque all the time, in the same way that on a 2 wheel axle with differential, both wheels are getting torque all the time. In order for this to happen there must be a center differential. Clutch based systems like the Subaru 4 speed and CVT do not have a center differential, all 4 wheels are not getting torque all the time - it may be that even under normal no-slip conditions, Subaru will lock up the clutches, but this is a) largely irrelevant to the performance of the car and b) as soon as the car turns, the clutches have to be unlocked otherwise the drivetrain will bind, ergo, not "full time". The last part to me is key. A manual trans or 5 speed auto Subaru does have a mechanical center differential and is sending torque to all 4 wheels all the time, so to me it is a "full time" system.

Another problem is that Subaru and Audi tend to confuse things on purpose with their marketing to give the impression that a "full time" system is superior to a "part time" system, when it's a bit more nuanced than that. Lamborghinis, Skyline GTRs and (current generation) Porsche 911s all have "part time" AWD, it depends on the application.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

spoof posted:

Coworker brought the Fit over tonight (an '08), and wow, lots of stuff fits in the back with the seats down. Definitely meets my storage needs, and can almost get 2 for the price of 1 TSX wagon.

Given the residuals, does it make sense to buy a Fit used? Honda is offering to finance @ 0.99% for 36 months (total cost of borrowing: $342.51 assuming MSRP). On the other hand, not much has changed since 2011 and the last refresh was in 2007.

Wait, looks like a new generation for 2014? Launching in Japan in September but Canada closer to the new year? That's... inconvenient seeing as how I was hoping to close within a few weeks. First year of a new generation, and first to be built in Mexico. Red flags, if I can wait?

I know this is some ways off but if you are going to be driving in the winter a lot, I'd try to drive the Fit in the snow a bit. Its very light and Honda loves using low tread tires (at least last time I drove the bunch of them). They are kind of a pain in the rear end in bad conditions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone driven the Acura ILX with the 2.4l first-hand?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tab8715 posted:

Well here's a pretty detailed comparison betweek it and the Buick Verano turbo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/12/2013-buick-verano-turbo-vs-2013-acura-ilx-2-4-comparison-review/

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Yes...it is a civic with the civic SI/TSX engine with all the Acura doodads inside (power seats, quieter, it is basically a grown ups civic). Fun car overall and a proven engine, since the Tsx has been using it for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juando290
Apr 22, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I know this is some ways off but if you are going to be driving in the winter a lot, I'd try to drive the Fit in the snow a bit. Its very light and Honda loves using low tread tires (at least last time I drove the bunch of them). They are kind of a pain in the rear end in bad conditions.

Surprisingly, it handles pretty well in bad conditions. I always joke that the smartest person I know (my wife's best friend who graduated high school a year early, full ride to Harvard, recently got her PHD at Berkeley) has only ever owned a fit, and she lived in north Dakota teaching on a native American reservation where she had to drive 4 hours round trip in the winter for her shopping, and never had a problem...and that was before they made VEhicle Stability Assist standard on the Fit.