Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm waiting for that scene to drop as well. It'll be like this for non-manga readers:

Don't disappoint me, anime staff. Do. Not. Disappoint.

Call me paranoid, but it seems weird that the anime thread starts discussing how the walls were made for like the second time ever just a few episodes before the big wall reveal. :crossarms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Call me paranoid, but it seems weird that the anime thread starts discussing how the walls were made for like the second time ever just a few episodes before the big wall reveal. :crossarms:

It's long been known we have some Cylons in that thread. It sucks, but a lot of anime fans are the worst human beings alive so what ya gonna do.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Pensive posted:

I don't really know why I decided to put this in the animé thread, since you guys are actually talking about it here, but I guess I'll post it here too:

Apparently Annie laughing is based on a part of the scene that Isayama cut out from the draft of the manga, and later regretted doing so. Annie is supposed to be laughing from the relief of not having to lie any-more and is "turning back into a normal 16 year old girl". Normal being relative with someone like her.

I agree that it could have been handled better though.

I hope this means the second season of Titans will have the hyper-crazy Armin smile.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Well, ever since the beginning the walls ARE a big ever-present mystery. There's no way you can put that kind of infrastructure after the titans show up with conventional means which is all they've shown humanity has as far as maintenance/repair of the walls go.

A cult (already shown) having some answers about the walls they idolize isn't that much of a reach either.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Dear god the Anime thread is killing me right now with wall talk, "I'm sure the wall's construction is just a huge plot hole." They are going to poo poo themselves if this season ends how I think it is. If only they knew.

It's taking everything I've got not to tell them how dumb they are being right now.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

LeafyOrb posted:

It's taking everything I've got not to tell them how dumb they are being right now.

Why does it require effort to not be an rear end?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

I've seen people wondering about it a few times before, but the subject usually gets forgotten after a post or two. It's the Bertholt of architecture.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hikarusa posted:

"heh you plebs have no idea :smug:"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The reveal of the human Titans didn't do poo poo for me like the reveal of the walls. That had me sit with my mouth open for about 3 minutes like what the hell. From then on I was hooked. I care more about that than Eren's basement. Can't wait for the anime people to see that then instantly rush to read the manga. :3: :rock:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is the most "Red Wedding" revelation of this series for everyone else in this thread? The one that most shocked you and/or most changed your understanding of the nature of the series and where the story is going?

1. The Rogue Titan turned out to be Eren.

2. The Female Titan turned out to be Annie.

3. The walls turned out to be made of Titans.

4. The appearance of Monkey Titan.

5. Ymir turned out to be a Titan-shifter.

6. Bert and Ernie turned out to be the Colossal and Armored Titans.

7. Something else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

JosephWongKS posted:

What is the most "Red Wedding" revelation of this series for everyone else in this thread? The one that most shocked you and/or most changed your understanding of the nature of the series and where the story is going?

7. Something else.

3 and 6 for me

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It'd have to be 3 and 6 for me, as well. But that said Monkey Trouble is just a bag of question marks for me right now.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

One, Two, and Three for me.

One didn't really jump out and surprise me, but it did get me really interested into the nature of the titans. Two got me into the world and the groups that exist in it- why is Annie killing humans and trying to kidnap Eren? and Three solidified it, it showed that everyone in the Attack on Titan universe is suspect and has their own agenda.

I'm going to add another one: Ymir's longevity. That threw a monkey wrench in every theory I had about the nature of the walls up to that point. Right now I suspect that Eren's parents are foster parents, and he's been alive for a long time because of that revelation.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

JosephWongKS posted:

7. Something else.

1 and 6 for me.

I saw the Rage Titan being Eren coming the second I laid eyes on him, but the idea of a human titan was definitely NOT the direction I thought the story would go. In fact, I was a little worried that it would get more stereotypically shonen from then on.

Bert and Ernie was just a massive :wtf: though.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 20, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

JosephWongKS posted:

7. Something else.

1, well, we all kind of saw that one coming. 2, we didn't see annie anywhere near as much as the other people so as far as I was concerned the author did a "Pick someone the audience knows but won't miss" kind of moment. 3 was a huge deal, but it was done in such a way that we were all like "whoa, the walls are made of titans! Wow that's cool, do we get to hear any more about this?" and then Hanji puts a blanket over the hole and says "No :mad:" and then we don't. 4 There's too much we don't know about monkey titan for me to care, honestly. He's basically a 50m class titan of mystery so, whatever. 5 Ymir being a titan is something that didn't hit me at the time, it's that everything else that happened with her being a titan is continuously a shock(see also, 7).

6 was the big one. Reiner was the man for so long, and here it turns out he's the villain. With loving Bertholdt being the iconic character of the series.

But the big thing for me? finding out that titans are old. Really loving old, and privy to information that humanity may have lost(or gave up on due to lack of resources). There's absolutely no way to even speculate what the titan villages are going to be like. We know Ymir is so old she can read Japanese(or whatever the can was), and Reiner immediately notices that if she can read that she has to be really loving old, and therefor a titan, implying that titans are either super old or nearing immortality. Sasquatch hasn't even seen 3D gear, and how long has that been around?

Finding out that titans are essentially Ancients is the big reveal for me, because it means that titan villages are going to be crazy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'd say that 4 would be the single most jawdropping revelation. All of the other things were surprising, shocking even, but nothing came out of the left field, nothing was so thoroughly, existentially terrifying, as the appearance of that talking monkey-titan. I think that all the other revelations seemed to "fit" in the world somehow. Bert and Ernie being titans, for example, fit insofar as we'd seen people (like Eren and Annie) turning into Titans before.

Up until the monkey titan, there existed a clear boundary between humans and titans that existed, even though there were "piloted" titans, as they still had a human consciousness operating behind them. The titans were mindless creatures, the humans were sentient. When it appeared, and demonstrated not human emotion, or mindless hunger, but a cold, dispassionate, inhuman fascination and intelligence, that struck me with a sense of profound terror and awe.

All of a sudden there is truly something out there, an intelligence unlike that of man's, but possessed of powers beyond comprehension and motivated pure amoral curiosity. That came out of the left field because it was utterly, utterly unpresaged by anything else in the story up til then that we could relate to.

It is haunting, and terrifying.

Seriously, that monkey titan can go eat a dick. He's what nightmares are made of!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

These two.

The walls reveal was big because it really changed up how I viewed previous events. And mostly the whole implication that the higher-ups in human society know WAY more than they are letting on about Titans.

Bert and Ernie stood out mostly because of how Isayama handled the reveal. No big splash pages, no sudden stop to the action, just a little corner panel at the bottom of the page being covered over by a larger conversation. That's it. It's when I truly understood why I enjoy how Isayama handles this story. He's not afraid to put gigantic reveals in a big setting (i.e., a splash page); he can (and probably will do so in the future) sneak them in where we least expect it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That was a wonderful reveal. First time I got through it I had to go back after a "wait, WHAT?" moment because nothing else was happening on the page so I kinda glossed over it.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That was a wonderful reveal. First time I got through it I had to go back after a "wait, WHAT?" moment because nothing else was happening on the page so I kinda glossed over it.

I saw the panel in Japanese posted on a spoilers blog and assumed it was a Photoshop joke panel. Nope!

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Bigfoot probably. I mean the whole series is this really unnerving concept with giant humanoids that eat other people, but when you throw this giant lanky orangutan humanoid into the mix and don't address it in any way, that poo poo got me. Then he starts commanding the lesser Titans and making conversation with Mike. Seeing the figure in the background reminded me of that clip in Signs, actually.

I also think the Bert/Reiner reveal was sick, mostly because of how subdued it was, I think most people felt like Mikasa in that scene, just wide-eyed "wait a minute what the gently caress" reactions all around.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I suppose an RW-style revelation has multiple ways you can look at it. The one that most shocked me was Bert and Ernie, for all of the reasons outlined above. Here's Reiner, the salutatorian, all-around outstanding guy, super reliable, he even has a ~traumatic past~ and it turns out he's the Armored Titan. And then there's Bert; I still can't get over the fact that loving Bert is the series' most iconic character.

The ones that most changed any understanding I thought I had about the series were some combination of 4 and 5. Up to the appearance of Sasquatch, I thought this was going to be a giant conspiracy thing with the people in the Interior manipulating everyone else (human Titans versus Titan humans, I guess) but nope, here's a giant monkey that doesn't know a thing about humanity! And then Ymir is over 60 years old and "died for the happiness of a great many people," plus that Titan that could speak and worshipped her. Who knows where that's going?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Now that the internet at large has adopted "Red Wedding" as the go-to slang for any kind of significant twist, i'll probably have to check out Game of Thrones in the near future to see what the gently caress that even is.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

HenryEx posted:

Now that the internet at large has adopted "Red Wedding" as the go-to slang for any kind of significant twist, i'll probably have to check out Game of Thrones in the near future to see what the gently caress that even is.

Just knowing the term is kind of a spoiler to be honest. If you do decide to do this, just avoid the internet for a while. Until the show catches up with the books or you read all the books is preferable.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

JosephWongKS posted:

Number six was huge for me. I literally did not see it coming and had to read it over again just to make sure that I wasn't being screwed with.

So, basically, the ones that I can't wrap my head around yet.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I've gotta mention Connie's mom, for me. That changed our view of titans quite a bit.

Of the already discussed ones, I think the wall-eyed titan has to win.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

7. Something else.

All but #4 ultimately had small bits of threads leading into them. They all felt to sort of be building up on each other and make sense in the narrative; they still do. #4 still is completely outside our understanding of and the hints at how Titans work, man-made or otherwise. Sasquatch is completely unique and feels like he's an outsider to all the other things you listed.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Hahah I just googled it before you posted. Mistakes were made.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hikarusa posted:

Person A Few Chapters Ahead In Manga Doling Out Counsel Like Wise Elder

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Awww, why do I have to choose?

JosephWongKS posted:

Total WTF territory here. A couple great hints at something way bigger

JosephWongKS posted:

More like "holy poo poo her name is Ymir"

JosephWongKS posted:

This. It was revealed "too soon". I always figured the identity of the big two would remain a mystery for a lot longer. Until it was revealed, I didn't even think their identity was relevant

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JosephWongKS posted:

7. Something else.

Number 4 definitely. There was absolutely no way of looking back and saying "I should have seen that coming" - Eren, Annie, Bert, Ernie, Ymir and the wall had subtle clues that foreshadowed their reveals. The Sasquatch? Nope.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

From the anime thread:

I've love to see his reaction when Mikasa peels off a piece of the wall and sees that Titan's eye staring back at her.

I love that they're complaining about it being probably a huge plot hole as if there wasn't already a manga that's much further ahead in the plot than the anime

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

This, easily. It's pretty much become one of my favorite things in any piece of fiction ever now. Not only just because of what it was, but because of how it changed how I viewed so much of what came before, and how well the reveal was handled. That's pretty much the scene I think of using as an example when I get annoyed at people who downplay spoilers because that scene explicitly would have been nowhere near as amazing if I had known about it beforehand. That's also part of why I get super annoyed at the assholes who are specifically hinting at poo poo in the anime thread.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

DrSunshine posted:

Seriously, that monkey titan can go eat a dick. He's what nightmares are made of!
How rude.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
The first time I read the Bert and Ernie reveal, I actually laughed. I thought that Reiner was trying to lighten the mood by making fun of all the absurd poo poo that was going on. "oh by the way, I'm a titan too!", typical Reiner :rolleyes:.

And then it wasn't a joke.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

It's probably because I just beat Shadow of the Colossus like yesterday (I have been calling it "Attack on Colossus" or "Shadow of the Titan" on accident the entire time), but it'd be nice to see them actually try to climb a titan. Or fight them on the ground again like at the castle. The monkey titan just looks so climbable (all the fur).

Also, only one person mentioned it, but underplayed it - one of the biggest moments was when the titan talked, the scene with the Ymir-worshipper. I guess I, myself, also felt the surrealness that the Recon Corp girl felt hearing it.

i300
Dec 30, 2012

There's something wrong with a 14-year old girl talking about all this sperm...

Pensive posted:

The first time I read the Bert and Ernie reveal, I actually laughed. I thought that Reiner was trying to lighten the mood by making fun of all the absurd poo poo that was going on. "oh by the way, I'm a titan too!", typical Reiner :rolleyes:.

And then it wasn't a joke.

This is how I felt too. It was ridiculous and happened out of nowhere. I should've seen the clues, but I didn't. Then Reiner waltzes up to Eren and straight out tells him. That was the most shocking reveal, for me. I do agree that the Monkey titan is the biggest and most out-of-nowhere thing we've seen yet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

i300 posted:

This is how I felt too. It was ridiculous and happened out of nowhere. I should've seen the clues, but I didn't. Then Reiner waltzes up to Eren and straight out tells him. That was the most shocking reveal, for me. I do agree that the Monkey titan is the biggest and most out-of-nowhere thing we've seen yet.

I remember going back to that page and rereading it a few times "no wait, what???"

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
The Bert and Ernie reveal is one of the best uses of panel layouts I've seen in a long time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ZeeToo posted:

I've gotta mention Connie's mom, for me. That changed our view of titans quite a bit.

Of the already discussed ones, I think the wall-eyed titan has to win.

For me this was the biggest of the non-listed ones too. It was the 1st hint that normal humans might be converted to titans and maybe not in a useful / intentional / reversible way (like Eren).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mei Hikari
Aug 31, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

The Bert and Ernie reveal is one of the best uses of panel layouts I've seen in a long time.

I will be very surprised if the anime stays even close to faithful to that execution. They'll probably give full screen to the conversation and cut the screen with everyone's surprised reaction.