Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Anyone else paranoid and going through every channel they watch to see if they were secretly banned in any of them? Just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wait, people actually try to say stuff in chat?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wait, people actually try to say stuff in chat?

Chat can be alright in smaller streams but generally, no.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
8,000 people watching Cosmo speedrun EULAs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've been a very frequent twitch viewer for well over a year now and I have yet to register an account. And I have no plans to because gently caress dealing with any twitch chat.

edit: ahaha 6 hour download goodnight everyone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've been a very frequent twitch viewer for well over a year now and I have yet to register an account. And I have no plans to because gently caress dealing with any twitch chat.

Having an account is useful, following streams lets you get an email or a popup when the stream goes live.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

uPen posted:

8,000 people watching Cosmo speedrun EULAs.
He should really try and beat the old version before this download finishes. Shouldn't be hard.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Twitch chat is surprisingly good when you combine it with a greasemonkey script to regex filter out a lot of the garbage/hate/homophobia/racism.

Edit: TIL you need a dongle to use an ethernet cable with the Wii U. what the gently caress.

Equilibrium fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 20, 2013

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Equilibrium posted:

Twitch chat is surprisingly good when you combine it with a greasemonkey script to regex filter out a lot of the garbage/hate/homophobia/racism.

Edit: TIL you need a dongle to use an ethernet cable with the Wii U. what the gently caress.
This is amazing. Thank you.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Cosmo just discovered pause buffering for the Wii U shop :v:

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Almost 10,000 people now, just discovered this from a tweet by some speedrunner I follow. This is pretty crazy, but its starting soon so I hope its good!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol, Twitch did away with shadow bans (bans where the person doesn't realize they are banned because from their view they can still post in chat) so Cosmo is getting hundreds of PMs from people banned over the last 2 years wondering why they were suddenly banned!

So the twitch version of a Hellban?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Not surprising, but WW HD doesn't have item storage.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Al Baron posted:

Not surprising, but WW HD doesn't have item storage.

But it somehow DOES have Zombie Hover.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

DoctorWhat posted:

But it somehow DOES have Zombie Hover.

And ledge clipping.

This port is pretty difficult to look at with how much bloom there is.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Hahahahaha they left in Zombie Hover but altered the loading zone for the cutscene in some way such that Helmaroc skip just failed when it would have worked before.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cosmo just spent an hour trying to Zombie Hover past the Helmarock to no avail.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wind Waker HD is looking pretty bad for speedrunning. You've got ledge clipping and leafpumping and I think that is seriously it?

Who the hell patched leafing over Helmaroc? Honestly.

vvv: That's very true. I'm probably overreacting.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 20, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Volt Catfish posted:

Wind Waker HD is looking pretty bad for speedrunning. You've got ledge clipping and leafpumping and I think that is seriously it?

To be fair, a lot of games look like poo poo for speedrunning at first, but then people find stuff to make them better. The original Wind Waker and DK64 are a couple prime examples of that. The issue here is that everyone has an expectation of what should be possible, and obviously Nintendo foiled some of that, but there's still the distinct possibility that other random crap will be found at some point to replace that which was lost.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

argondamn posted:

Cosmo just spent an hour trying to Zombie Hover past the Helmarock to no avail.

He's getting trolled by this bird like you wouldn't loving believe.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I wonder why did they even patch this stuff out. It's not like anybody playing casually would discover something like superswimming.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

and obviously Nintendo foiled some of that

This could have been because some loving idiot went to Best Buy or something, told the representative about a bunch of glitches in the game, and then crashed it with a superswim, which meant that someone had to write up a crash report.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I wonder why did they even patch this stuff out. It's not like anybody playing casually would discover something like superswimming.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

For anyone interested in what Cosmo's found so far, he's got a google doc that he's periodically updating with new info:

http://bombch.us/LGQ

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

To be fair, a lot of games look like poo poo for speedrunning at first, but then people find stuff to make them better. The original Wind Waker and DK64 are a couple prime examples of that. The issue here is that everyone has an expectation of what should be possible, and obviously Nintendo foiled some of that, but there's still the distinct possibility that other random crap will be found at some point to replace that which was lost.
Just imagine if HD makes barrier skip possible.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

What possesses people to think this is a good idea? Not even on the level of performing glitches and crashing demo units and telling representatives about it, I mean on the level of attempting to make conversation by talking about video game glitches? Who does that?

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Apparently I'm one of those people and now I'm really wondering what I did to get me permabanned :v:

Huh, so am I. Not like it's hard to make a new Twitch account.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

What possesses people to think this is a good idea? Not even on the level of performing glitches and crashing demo units and telling representatives about it, I mean on the level of attempting to make conversation by talking about video game glitches? Who does that?

If you spend a majority of your time being a stream monster on SRL, there's not too many topics of conversation open to you.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Awkward nerd tries to impress girl, does moronic thing.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Is there even any proof that that's true, as opposed to it being a random person on the internet saying poo poo for attention?

It seems like it would be more likely that a tester was aware of the glitch and replicated it on the HD version and reported it so they could be a "hero" or get an FTE job or some stupid poo poo.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think my favorite instance of this is Metroid Prime 2. Retro were all smug about how the game couldn't be bent over and broken like the first was. Completely wrong! Sure, it took way longer to do it and there was never the same amount of gusto put towards Echoes as the original had, but there was something deeply satisfying about breaking an 'unbreakable' game.

Shame 3 didn't really get any oomph at all. I never paid too much attention at that point, so I dunno how tight that one is, but I can't recall seeing many people working on runs for it.

E: vvv Er. Retro, yeah. Whoops!

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 20, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ChibiSoma posted:

I think my favorite instance of this is Metroid Prime 2. Rare were all smug about how the game couldn't be bent over and broken like the first was.

I mean, I know Retro makes good games and all, but, uh?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, I know Retro makes good games and all, but, uh?

Just goes to show Retro really is the new Rare.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

It's kind of a moot point considering that there are a ton of videos all over the internet showing and explaining the glitches. Not to mention the hype these kind of games get in the SDA marathons. Nintendo has to be, at least, peripherally aware of these glitches.

Though if they work in the current builds and suddenly don't in the final release, then I guess you can blame it all on awkward nerds not being able to talk to women.

Edit: Wait has it come out yet? I really don't keep up to date with Wii U releases.

RickDaedalus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 20, 2013

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

^^ It was released at midnight.

Watching Cosmo get gameovers because the soup glitch was fixed is pretty entertaining.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That was a good first attempt at Ganon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RickDaedalus posted:

It's kind of a moot point considering that there are a ton of videos all over the internet showing and explaining the glitches. Not to mention the hype these kind of games get in the SDA marathons. Nintendo has to be, at least, peripherally aware of these glitches.
They're aware of the glitches. When Grezzo reprogrammed OOT from scratch for 3DS, one of the programmers managed to successfully argue a case to Nintendo for recreating some of the non-harmful glitches (like Megajumps and the Broken Deku Stick) as a little nod to anyone who tried reproducing them in the remake.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
EnNopp is out of his mind.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mitchflowerpower just took the SMB3 Warpless WR with a 52:23 (old WR was 52:57), with no Early Hammer but also No Hands in World 8: http://www.twitch.tv/mitchflowerpower

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Brett824 posted:

Anyone else paranoid and going through every channel they watch to see if they were secretly banned in any of them? Just me?

Yeah, turns out Werster got fed up with my poo poo. I wonder how long I've been permabanned from werster since I swear he used to respond directly to what I was saying. I'm thinking it had to have been later than SGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbTVIjoeZEU
There's a new Super Mario 64 speedrunning expert in town by the name of new_disease.

• Locked thread