Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

On an unrelated note, taking Carapance and Thick Fur on the same character feels so wrong from an aesthetic point of view, but makes so much sense from a min-maxing one. Especially if you also take "Spontaneous Combustion" as a drawback. :v:

The fur is a layer between your skin and the carapace, though if you move too fast the static charge building up in there might spark and set you aflame. All the pieces fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think it's closed beta, it's downloadable from here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?10-Welcome-to-the-Caves-of-Qud-beta

Is Regeneration percentage-based from your total HP, or is it a flat rate? I've avoided it as a crutch (because with characters who use a lot of offensive mutations plus a good escape option you should never be taking heavy damage in the first place), but my last few games I've had a lot of peripheral health issues that it apparently applies to.

On an unrelated note, taking Carapance and Thick Fur on the same character feels so wrong from an aesthetic point of view, but makes so much sense from a min-maxing one. Especially if you also take "Spontaneous Combustion" as a drawback. :v:

I'm fairly sure Regen is a flat rate, or else the percentage is very small and set to a minimum threshold, because at clvl 1 it feels super powerful, and by late teens/early 20s, it's still giving health back during fights while it's still mutation level 1. I'm still able to kite guys and regen at that stage if need be, also.

Also, I'm bummed that EG is weak. It has really inconsistent arc patterns, too. I was assuming it was a sphere around me, or that it would arc through literally every adjacent target to my target, but it seems to arc directionally. Either way, gonna play this one out to see what it's like and if EG is awesome at mutation level 10 or not (and if that's what you were referring to, then, :().

E: You know, playing right now at level 9 with level 1 regen still, I really can't tell. I think it does scale in some way; I wish I could see the mechanics themselves.

Also, desalination pellets are 0-weight, and show up as 'tiny trinkets.' Found 6 in a locker going down to grit.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 20, 2013

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Thanks for this post! It got me to finally update my old beta of this game and properly figure it out, and I'm having a blast with it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
What would you folks recommend as a Roguelikelike for this specific usage scenario - I want to get high as hell and explore and fight stuff and maybe find some cool or overpowered stuff if I'm really lucky. Permadeath and all that preferred with no ASCII. I loved Binding of Isaac, FTL and once when I was pretty drunk Munchkin Quest ;)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Incredulous Dylan posted:

What would you folks recommend as a Roguelikelike for this specific usage scenario - I want to get high as hell and explore and fight stuff and maybe find some cool or overpowered stuff if I'm really lucky. Permadeath and all that preferred with no ASCII. I loved Binding of Isaac, FTL and once when I was pretty drunk Munchkin Quest ;)

Hahaha "usage scenario".

Go get Spelunky, maybe?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Dungeons of Dredmor sounds right up your alley, though some parts of its UI are kind of... awful. But it's really fun, no ascii, lots of customization and exploration within the dungeon itself.

Really though, get used to ascii. Your :2bong: will totally make the graphics come aliiiive maaaaaaaaan, inside your ~imagination~ and there's so many more games with ascii that fit your descripion (Crawl, Qud, ToME, ADOM all come to mind for me since the latter three have open-worlds to explore and all four of them have incredibly deep gameplay with lots of details in the environment that leave you feeling like you're exploring, especially Qud and ToME).

There's also the uber-hard but totally-random and exploration-survival-real-time-shooter-roguelike Teleglitch. It's not ascii, but its graphics aren't everyone's cup of tea, so I'd say try the demo. Probably not a great game for what you're describing unless you're also good at real-time gaming while dopin' it up, in which case it's awesome.

Also just play FTL some more, that's still a great game. But first, more Qud...

Horns are awesome, Electrical Generation sure does seem pointless once you find a combat shotgun. On the flipside, it tears through early-game popcorn like almost nothing else; early-game popcorn is also easy as hell to kill, so, yeah. At least you have a massive burst attack against tough targets early, but I'm totally replacing it next character I play. I could even skip Ravenous and just take Sense Psychic instead, but I like the idea of messing around with those extra four MP. A double-muscled tinker who uses a grenade launcher while swinging two axes for stunning-dismemberment sounds awesome; I've yet to care enough to get a Psychometry tinker up to Expert Disassemble since I've been on my tinker binge, so maybe I'll just swap it out for that and see how a true ubertinker plays. But first, more fullerite-axe-swingin' horn-gorin' electrical-generatin' tinkerin' fun.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 20, 2013

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm usually landing ~sick azzzz~ blue plates while listening to tunes so I can adapt. I saw the preview for that on RPS and it actually looked right up my alley - thanks for reminding me! I'll check out all three of those suggestions. Nothing against ASCII (I used to play MUDs!) but I'm just going to be too out of it or lazy to learn poo poo.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hop onto crawl webtiles and roll some troll chaos knights and see what xom gifts you.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

S.T.C.A. posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor sounds right up your alley, though some parts of its UI are kind of... awful. But it's really fun, no ascii, lots of customization and exploration within the dungeon itself.

Really though, get used to ascii. Your :2bong: will totally make the graphics come aliiiive maaaaaaaaan, inside your ~imagination~ and there's so many more games with ascii that fit your descripion (Crawl, Qud, ToME, ADOM all come to mind for me since the latter three have open-worlds to explore and all four of them have incredibly deep gameplay with lots of details in the environment that leave you feeling like you're exploring, especially Qud and ToME).

Tome is full tiles now, i think there might be an ascii tileset you can pick but that's it. Also tome levels are boring as poo poo IMO, it's a really strong game mechanics-wise but the world is soooooo dead.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

andrew smash posted:

Tome is full tiles now, i think there might be an ascii tileset you can pick but that's it. Also tome levels are boring as poo poo IMO, it's a really strong game mechanics-wise but the world is soooooo dead.

Yeah, it could really use crawls amount of vaults/flavor vaults with a massive reduction in both number and size of levels. The character building is really fun and more than once I've wanted to start the exact same character to try another build after a win.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah, it could really use crawls amount of vaults/flavor vaults with a massive reduction in both number and size of levels. The character building is really fun and more than once I've wanted to start the exact same character to try another build after a win.

The old ToME (2.x) sounds perfect for wandering around as an overpowered character in a big world, but I don't think it has tiles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The old ToME (2.x) sounds perfect for wandering around as an overpowered character in a big world, but I don't think it has tiles.
It has, in fact. If you play the vanilla version, just select newtiles with BigTiles mode in the window option. You'll get something definitely usable, if not nearly as pretty as ToME4.

I think I spent more time on that game than on any other single roguelike. It's really, really fun, so long as you don't take it too seriously and realize that race/class choice is really unbalanced and basically the difficulty slider.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

I think you need some Dungeonmans. I could certainly use more feedback from the "high as hell" customer base.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

That's true, I was thinking about that when I posted. Despite Crawl having no overworld, there's all kinds of neat little events that outshine the vaults of ToME. Like there are vaults in Crawl too, but there's also neat little altars, random events, thematic rooms, thematic rooms special to thematic floors, etc. Even though you're going through a relatively linear dungeon, it eventually starts to feel like the main D1-D27 is the overworld with all the branches being different locations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

S.T.C.A. posted:

That's true, I was thinking about that when I posted. Despite Crawl having no overworld, there's all kinds of neat little events that outshine the vaults of ToME. Like there are vaults in Crawl too, but there's also neat little altars, random events, thematic rooms, thematic rooms special to thematic floors, etc. Even though you're going through a relatively linear dungeon, it eventually starts to feel like the main D1-D27 is the overworld with all the branches being different locations.

The branch themed enemies help alot as well. In tome I'm mowing through screens full of orcs/ghosts/halflings but due to everything being pretty much every class or a hybrid of every class in the game, it ends up feeling very much the same. In crawl I know where to stay the gently caress away from if I lack certain gear, abilities or resists (which could use a tweak as well, who gives a poo poo about half of them when there's 16+ or so).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

S.T.C.A. posted:

As much fun as tome is, crawl does a much better job of keeping the player on their toes in my opinion. There's a more consistent sense of danger. Once you get a character rolling in tome you generally feel invincible until you smack into something that can kill you in two hits.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I think you need some Dungeonmans. I could certainly use more feedback from the "high as hell" customer base.

The food clock is too tight.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

andrew smash posted:

As much fun as tome is, crawl does a much better job of keeping the player on their toes in my opinion. There's a more consistent sense of danger. Once you get a character rolling in tome you generally feel invincible until you smack into something that can kill you in two hits.

Yeah, plus (at least for me) I always have way more "aw poo poo I was carrying X, that could have saved me," moments after a death in Crawl than I do in other roguelikes. It has excellent balance, and being able to play online and watch others/have others watch you and give feedback is icing on the cake. Such a good game. Dammit, this makes me want to fire up Putty and connect to the Crawl servers. I haven't played since .8 or .9, but I'm so hellbent on Qud at the moment that I can't bring myself to actually go play Crawl again right now.

Sometimes I think the reason I have so many hours between Crawl and Qud is that they're the two roguelikes I've played with what feel like the best autoexplore, ha. Crawl was the first autoexplore roguelike I ever played and it's really hard for me to get into RLs without it now.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Hmm, maybe I should revisit Dungeonmans.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Sometimes I think the reason I have so many hours between Crawl and Qud is that they're the two roguelikes I've played with what feel like the best autoexplore, ha. Crawl was the first autoexplore roguelike I ever played and it's really hard for me to get into RLs without it now.

For the record, my auto-explore code is basically a humanitarian disaster.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

ProfessorProf posted:

Thanks for this post! It got me to finally update my old beta of this game and properly figure it out, and I'm having a blast with it.

You're welcome. It's such a great game that I wish more people who love spelunky should try it out. Each game really feels like an adventure and encapsulates the memories of drawing stickmen caves and death traps on paper as a child.

S.T.C.A. posted:

Crawl also has ctrl-f which is godly in these games with tons of crap lying everywhere and waypoints and a mouse interface. Incredible exemplary tiles too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

andrew smash posted:

Once you get a character rolling in tome you generally feel invincible until you smack into something that can kill you in two hits.
This is really the only reason I stopped playing the game. Normal gameplay will lull you into a deep sleep and then you die in two turns before you wake up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does Jab affect multiple arms or are those just dumb meat lumps you never really learn to use very well?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Unormal posted:

For the record, my auto-explore code is basically a humanitarian disaster.

Much as I'm getting critical of Qud as I dig into it: any auto-explore code at all is a huge quality-of-life improvement.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You know something that would make Qud a million times better? If it didn't buffer input. When I stop hitting buttons the game needs to stop doing poo poo, not continue on for ages because I had my finger on a direction for a little too long or started hammering directions impatiently while that one plant that shoots in random directions makes every turn take ten times longer than it should.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

You know something that would make Qud a million times better? If it didn't buffer input. When I stop hitting buttons the game needs to stop doing poo poo, not continue on for ages because I had my finger on a direction for a little too long or started hammering directions impatiently while that one plant that shoots in random directions makes every turn take ten times longer than it should.

This just killed me as I dug through a wall into a turret nest. Knew it was there, but I held move down too long because it was taking forever to crack the fulcrete. Once the wall dropped, my guy happily ran through three chain turrets and started smacking the other wall as I watched him die :(

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

dis astranagant posted:

You should never hold down a key in a roguelike. Never.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Farquar posted:

You should never hold down a key in a roguelike. Never.

Only because this particular bit of brain damage is somehow endemic in them. Hasn't actually killed me in Qud so much as had me go a screen and a half further than intended due to asinine poo poo like monsters shooting at nothing. It's especially annoying in Qud because not everything's gunning for you but if shots are flying everything bogs down whether they have anything to do with you or not.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 21, 2013

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Only because this particular bit of brain damage is somehow endemic in them. Hasn't actually killed me in Qud so much as had me go a screen and a half further than intended due to asinine poo poo like monsters shooting at nothing. It's especially annoying in Qud because not everything's gunning for you but if shots are flying everything bogs down whether they have anything to do with you or not.

It's a bit less trivial than it seems to just "not do key repeat", since the alternative is losing key-presses that are buffered when a player is hitting them very quickly under some circumstances. So you end up needing to do a buffer of some depth, but not TOO deep; balancing between players going "Don't let me hold down a key!" and players going "You ignored a keypress!"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The buffering wouldn't be a problem if holding a key only sent it once, instead of repeatedly. (Although I guess games running in the console would have no control of that). Failing that, you could always add an option for "max keystroke buffer".

the glow
May 31, 2009
The CultRL guy just released the source code for his Kickstarted roguelike, and it's... interesting.

https://bitbucket.org/dmhagar/empyrea-public/src to look through the whole deal

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

It's a bit less trivial than it seems to just "not do key repeat", since the alternative is losing key-presses that are buffered when a player is hitting them very quickly under some circumstances. So you end up needing to do a buffer of some depth, but not TOO deep; balancing between players going "Don't let me hold down a key!" and players going "You ignored a keypress!"

It's not even holding that's the problem. It's waiting on ranged attacks from across the map with no real chance to hit while you're trying to get somewhere else. I still don't see why you'd ever need to buffer input between turns. Even if some freak accident drops valid input for the current turn that's still far more recoverable than watching helplessly as you run clear across 2 maps because there's a buffer a mile deep. That exact case happened to me several times yesterday while trying to haul rear end out of a cave with a starving plant man and no recoilers.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 23, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

the glow posted:

The CultRL guy just released the source code for his Kickstarted roguelike, and it's... interesting.

Fill us in for the non-programmers?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Fill us in for the non-programmers?

Pretty much any piece of quality code is broken up with discrete functions and class files to improve code readability and management. These giant, 2000+ line monolithic files are near impossible for someone to understand or even work in. Even though he released the source code, it'll take a near complete re-write for someone else to make this even workable.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, he only wrote about 20,000 lines of code before he got bored. That's almost nothing for something that (if I remember right) was meant to be on the scale of Dwarf Fortress.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's, 6 months or so of work under the probably false assumption that they aren't complete poo poo and/or half boilerplate for talking to the libraries he's using.

e: Qudchat: Elemental weapons and burrowing claws do not mix. Not if you don't want to be pariah in every town due to accidental discharges on near people.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 23, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It quickly became obvious his ambitions were greater than his programming skills. He'd pop up after a 3 month long AWOL stint and say some problem with the code had kept him occupied for literally months.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 23, 2013

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I gave occult chronicles a try the other day, and I think I basically won. My character was nearly unstoppable with great gear, except that I couldn't find the final boss encounter and ran out of time. Is there any good/reliable way to find it?

I was in that living house mission.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was in that living house mission.

All the missions are exactly the same house, it's just a matter of which story tokens and random encounters get thrown up.

As far as finding the end area is concerned: so far for me, it's been on B2F rather than B3F - B3F is kind of a 'welp you fell down here prepare to get hosed' floor. Mine was behind a secret door off of a checkerboard room, leading to an enormous (10x7?) room with an encounter every step as I went up to the altar.

Basically look out for huge missing areas on the map and try to head over there, rubbing up against walls as you go. If you do a lot of quests on the upstairs floor of the house I remember an encounter with a fortuneteller or something that coughed up a crystal ball, and that can be used up to reveal the location of the final room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

the glow posted:

https://bitbucket.org/dmhagar/empyrea-public/src to look through the whole deal

This is blowing my mind

Also I am willing to bet the code for DF looked extremely similar up to 50,000+ lines before Toady started restructuring things to be somewhat sane...